Fabio Cannavaro: January Results

Comments

  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Very good start.... but then it all vanished with 2 beatings by the Mancunian sides, which have taken Arsenal to the mid zone of the league table. There's some work to do, especially in the defensive aspect.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Tj6n3dX.png

    Mesut Ozil has completed a £40,000,000 move to Napoli in a shock deadline day move. The thirty one year old has received a lot of criticism this season after some performances most notably against Manchester City and United and has now been allowed to move. Fabio Cannavaro hasn’t taken long to bring in a replacement however with England under 21 international Ryan Sessegnon making a return to English football from Villarreal after Arsenal met his £20,700,000 buy out clause and the England youngster has put pen to paper on a five year deal.

    Fabio said this on the move “I am really happy we have managed to sign Ryan and bring him back to England, I feel he is an excellent talent who can have a great impact for the team. With Mikel’s injury and Mesut making it clear he wanted to leave the club we decided we would make a move and we feel we have found the perfect player for our team in Ryan. He is very versatile so can play in a number of different positions and we are excited to be able to welcome to the team.

    Ryan Sessegnon said this on the move “It is a dream come true to come and play for Arsenal. Everybody knows how big a club Arsenal are and to be able to play at the Emirates week in week out is going to be amazing. I have played with Reiss (Nelson) for the under 21 side so when he heard that I was joining he rang me and said I will love it here. The gaffer has a history for giving young players a chance and he is doing the same at Arsenal with the game time that Reiss and Sandro Tonali have gotten and hopefully it won’t be long before I get chance to step out onto the pitch.”
  • Wyojasond
    11568 posts Has That Special Something
    Nice to see sessegnon back in the PL. a real,quality signing and should have an immediate impact at Arsenal.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Very interesting signing with Sessegnon that will help to refresh the squad. And Cannavaro also got rid of Özil, who is in clear decline. Really good movements.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice to see sessegnon back in the PL. a real,quality signing and should have an immediate impact at Arsenal.
    subpop wrote: »
    Very interesting signing with Sessegnon that will help to refresh the squad. And Cannavaro also got rid of Özil, who is in clear decline. Really good movements.

    One of Engalnds best young talents but as you say still has the ability to make an impact this season
  • LAboog4
    648 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Really good moves. Sold Ozil for a nice amount and brought in someone I think is going to be a great talent in years to come.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    iUjb2av.png

    Fabio Cannavaro will be returning to former side Parma a lot sooner then expected after Arsenal were drawn in the same group as the Italians former employers. Fabio Cannavaro led Parma to a fifth place finish last season and was a hugely popular figure with the Italian side but it will be interesting to see the reception he gets from the team he saved from certain relegation two years ago. Also in the group are Turkish giants Fenerbahce in a tie that will see Petr Cech return to Arsenal and Swedish side AIK.

    Fabio Cannavaro had this to say on the draw “I just knew something like this would happen, it was written in the stars. I really enjoyed my time with Parma we had two great years and I look forward to the games we have coming up against them but there are two more very dangerous teams in the group and we have to be wary of them. Fenerbahce we know their quality and they have signed Petr who we know is a great goalkeeper and we also have AIK who could prove a banana skin for anybody on their day they shouldn’t be counted out either.”

    XTydaD8.png
  • LAboog4
    648 posts An Exciting Prospect
    A good group to be drawn in, especially with Parma. Adds excitment to a normally "meh" type of match.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    I guess the return to Parma will be a special day for Cannavaro. As it was to expect, Arsenal are the big favorites to advance.

    The squad is long and competitive. Perhaps it should be improve at midfield, but still good enough to face the season.
  • Wyojasond
    11568 posts Has That Special Something
    Of course 😂 I’m sure the fans of Parma will give him a warm reception 😎
  • WestardLord
    1502 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sessegnon at Arsenal? You stole my idea! But it just feels right, in my opinion, so great move.

    Seems like a sort of poetic justice to be drawn with Parma lol
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    A good group to be drawn in, especially with Parma. Adds excitment to a normally "meh" type of match.

    I know I couldn't believe it when we drew them definitely two games Fabio will be keen to win
    subpop wrote: »
    I guess the return to Parma will be a special day for Cannavaro. As it was to expect, Arsenal are the big favorites to advance.

    The squad is long and competitive. Perhaps it should be improve at midfield, but still good enough to face the season.

    The midfield seems to be a weak part of the team both creatively and defensively but it isn't easy to buy the best players when playing in the Europa League
    Of course 😂 I’m sure the fans of Parma will give him a warm reception 😎

    Typical we draw them :lol: I'm sure he will have a warm welcome as he did a lot for Parma in his time there
    Sessegnon at Arsenal? You stole my idea! But it just feels right, in my opinion, so great move.

    Seems like a sort of poetic justice to be drawn with Parma lol

    It was a move that made sense especially when I saw his buy out clause
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    c7d5Toz.png

    Q: Mauricio a disappointing result for your team but do you think Sandro Tonali was lucky not to have been sent off for his challenge on Eriksen?
    Pochettino: I think it was a blatant red card I don’t understand how he only gave a yellow card but this is a moment that could change the game because we were drawing at that moment. I don’t think we can say the referee cost us because we still made mistakes ourselves it was eleven vs eleven and we let them score because we switched off twice once after scoring our goal and then again to let them score the winner.

    Q: Fabio a fantastic win after a difficult couple of defeats how important was it for your team to get the win today?
    Cannavaro: I think it was crucial we got the win because Tottenham are a very tough opponent but we went a goal down and we all dug in together and fought hard to get the three points. I am happy for the players because the last few weeks we have had a lot of criticism of people saying we aren’t ready to challenge for the top four but I disagree I think we are ready and we proved it here with a very hard fought win.

    qtI2eDF.png

    AIK (5-3-2): Linner, Sundgren (Lundstrom, 78), Karlsson, Milosevic, Nyholm, Lindkvist, Hussein (Sema, 57), Larsson (Avdic, 66), Nedelev, Elyounoussi, Stefanelli
    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Mallo, Holding, Lascelles, Kolarov (Bramall, 66), Elneny, Tonali (Xhaka, 78), Lodeiro (Nelson, 66), Iwobi, Williams, Sessegnon

    Q: Rikard a disappointing loss, what are your thoughts on the match?
    Norling: I thought the first half was very competitive obviously we know their quality so we expected they would probably have more of the ball and a few more chances but the first half we were in the game and their keeper made two great stops. Second half we got the goal and I think we all thought yes game on Arsenal controlled the game for the next twenty minutes and I think we got a little bit tired and that’s when three, four and five went in. I think 5-1 is harsh on us but Arsenal are a great side.

    Q: Fabio an emphatic victory in the opening match does that send a message to the rest of the group?
    Cannavaro: I am not thinking about the other teams in the group at this stage. We must take it game by game and today we played fantastic and won very impressively. It is never easy to play away but we got off to a perfect start and it gave us confidence to keep playing the way we were and to go and grab a couple of extra goals. Inaki was exceptional today his pace, his strength and his finishing he has it all and I think he is showing that his is a fantastic talent.

    5vgIUC2.png

    Q: Fabio another win for the team with a stunning goal from Belotti but it was Reiss Nelson who caught the headlines. How important has he been for you so far this season?
    Cannavaro: It was a great strike from Andrea, he is a superb talent and he has shown he can score all types of goals so early in his Arsenal career. I think Reiss has played excellent ever since I joined the team, I knew he was so talented before joining but the impact he has made at such a young age is excellent he should be proud of himself but he is still young and is improving. We have had a little bit of criticism for our defending which I feel is unfair because the goal today was excellent on Thursday (Europa League) it was a penalty that shouldn’t have been so it is a little undeserving the criticism.

    Q: Manuel a disappointing result for your team today what are your thoughts on the performance of the players?
    Pellegrini: We conceded two silly goals I think and this has cost us. The first goal is exceptional but to play away to Arsenal and be caught out on the counter is a stupid goal to concede especially when you are drawing it is a simple goal that could have been avoided and then we have conceded from a set play where the player has volleyed the ball into the net again we need to show more strength here to get in front of the player and win that initial ball. Without these two goals we have a good point instead we leave empty handed.

    ju5Rza5.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Lichtsteiner, Holding, Koscielny, Kolarov, Tonali (Torreira, 79), Elneny, Zelalem, Lodeiro, Williams (Bramall, 79), Sessegnon
    Bristol City (4-4-2): Grof, Hunt, Wright, Kalas, Dasilva, Chumacero, Smith, Pack, O’Dowda (Eliasson, 52), Weimann (Eisa, 79), Diedhiou (Taylor, 86)

    Q: Fabio through to the next round but not the performance you were hoping for I assume?
    Cannavaro: No of course we wanted to win the match before the penalty shoot out but Bristol City played very well and they scored a beautiful goal for them to take the lead. When you play a team in a lower league I think they come here with more determination with a no fear sort of attitude because if we beat them comfortably everyone expects this but if they beat us then you can say that these players could be heroes for their fans.

    Q: Lee how disappointing is it to go out on penalties after playing so well for the ninety minutes?
    Johnson: Listen we leave this ground tonight with our heads held high. Not many teams go to the Emirates play the style of football we tried to play which was to attack them and leave here having drawn especially after going behind. I thought we deserved to progress but penalties is a lottery and their keeper has made two good stops and they have scored all their penalties. We are happy with our performance and now we will turn our focus t the league and trying to get ourselves promoted.

    Mxyb0Zn.png

    Q: Marcelo a fantastic performance from your side to claim three very important points that sees your team move off bottom. How important do you feel this victory could be for your team?
    Bielsa: It could prove to be a season defining victory. Heading into the match nobody thought we would be able to get a point yet alone claim all three but I think we deserved to win the match and it wasn’t a lucky win because we could have scored more. Their keeper made some great saves and we hit the post obviously the last ten minutes they created chances but overall today we deserved the win against a tough team and we showed we aren’t going to roll over for anybody.

    Q: Fabio a very disappointing defeat after being in front. There has been a lot of criticism of your defence and it is likely they will receive more criticism after this defeat what are your thoughts on the criticism?
    Cannavaro: Today we deserved to lose the game, Leeds played fantastic and we weren’t at our best. We know we will be criticised after this performance we deserve to be we weren’t good enough but Leeds played fantastic and they deserve praise for how they played. We have only kept two clean sheets in eleven games so obviously we aren’t happy but it is an issue that we have conceded some excellent goals but also that we have made some mistakes and we will work on trying to improve.

    rWbPb1h.png

    0yf7pEY.png
  • Wyojasond
    11568 posts Has That Special Something
    Great run til that Leeds game 😬 nice to see one story is giving Liverpool some love 😂
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    As @Wyojasond said, it was a very good run until Leeds ruined the party. In any case, the results are good and the team is in the top zone... however, Liverpool are flying now. Still soon, but they've opened an important gap in a few weeks.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great run til that Leeds game 😬 nice to see one story is giving Liverpool some love 😂

    I'm surprised they under achieve on so many careers. They have some excellent talents though with Thiago and Alaba joining the club so they have added real quality
    subpop wrote: »
    As @Wyojasond said, it was a very good run until Leeds ruined the party. In any case, the results are good and the team is in the top zone... however, Liverpool are flying now. Still soon, but they've opened an important gap in a few weeks.

    Typical Arsenal go on a good run and lose against the bottom team to derail it :lol:
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    1AWclDx.jpg

    Sky sources understand that Arsenal have made Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes their top target to replace Mesut Ozil. The twenty six year old is very highly rated in Portugal and Arsenal are expected to try and secure a deal before the January transfer window for the Portugal international. It is believed it will take a club record to prise Sporting’s key player away from the club with Arsenal set to bid around £60,000,000 but Sporting are keen to receive closer to the £90,000,000 mark for the attacking midfielder who is Sporting’s top scorer so far this season. It is believed Arsenal have already made contact with Sporting who are keen to try and hold the move off until the summer but Arsenal manager Fabio Cannavaro is certain he wants to bring in a new attacking midfielder in time for January with Anderson Talisca who he worked with Guangzhou Evergrande and Pablo Fornals of Benfica and Villarreal both options should they fail in their attempts to sign Fernandes.
  • Wyojasond
    11568 posts Has That Special Something
    Huge fan of Bruno. He’s a player I’ll think we’ll we at a big club soon so smart of Arsenal to target him.
  • LAboog4
    648 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The team is in pretty good form right now winning against two rivals. The Leeds match was a surprise but it happens.

    A £30m difference will be tough to overcome in the transfer bidding but Fabio has shown he can make his transfers happen when wanted.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Very good player, but the prize is extremely high, in my opinion. The initial offer was 60 M, but Sporting want 90... It's a lot of money, so I hope Fabio knows what he's doing.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Huge fan of Bruno. He’s a player I’ll think we’ll we at a big club soon so smart of Arsenal to target him.

    I don't know to much about him in real life if i'm being honest I feel Anderson maybe another good option due to their time together at Guangzhou and how important he was there
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    The team is in pretty good form right now winning against two rivals. The Leeds match was a surprise but it happens.

    A £30m difference will be tough to overcome in the transfer bidding but Fabio has shown he can make his transfers happen when wanted.

    The Leeds loss was a shock but thats football especially Arsenal haha
    subpop wrote: »
    Very good player, but the prize is extremely high, in my opinion. The initial offer was 60 M, but Sporting want 90... It's a lot of money, so I hope Fabio knows what he's doing.

    Its a big difference and a huge fee for a player unproven in the Premier League
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 1
    J1IG2yS.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3: Martinez, Mallo, Mustafi, Lascelles, Kolarov, Elneny, Torreira (Tonali, 70), Iwobi (Williams, 74), Nelson (Lodeiro, 70), Belotti, Sessegnon
    Parma (4-3-3): Cragno, Svensson, Ogbonna, Colombo, Klostermann (Murru, 76), Stulac, Guzman, Marino (Morrison, 70), Pavon, Cerri, Da Cruz (Orsolini, 59)

    Q: Fabio a fantastic game. How important was it to win after the disappointing result against Leeds last weekend?
    Cannavaro: It was crucial we picked up a win because we want to win the group. It was strange managing against my former team but we didn’t let the occasion get the better of us and I feel it was a deserved victory. Parma are a very good side and they caused us a lot of problems but we were very efficient in front of goal and we worked hard for each other. I feel we are now in a very strong position to qualify from the group after two games but we must keep working hard.

    Q: Bruno a tough loss for your team do you think the score line is a bit unfair on your side considering the balance of play?
    Alves: I feel that it was a game on another day we would have won. Arsenal were very efficient with their chances in front of goal but we feel we deserved something out of the game. Against top teams sometimes any little mistake you make is punished and that was the case today. It was strange coming up against Fabio (Cannavaro) he was obviously my coach last season but I wish him the best because he was fantastic for the club and I feel I learnt a lot from him.

    B7j8UCH.png

    Q: Fabio a disappointing draw for your side, again questions will be asked of the defending what are your thoughts on the game?
    Cannavaro: It is disappointing to draw because we showed great character to come from behind and take the lead so to concede so late it hurts but again errors have cost us at the back and we have dropped points because of this. It is obviously a concern at the moment because we are losing points due to it but we still believe in ourselves we are working hard to fix the mistakes maybe something has to change whether it be personal or a slight tweak in tactics I’m not sure but we will see over the coming days what we decide to do.

    Q: Claude a point away from home against Arsenal, do you think you deserved more from the match?
    Puel: I think we deserved to win the match, we hit the post and Bernd (Leno) made two or three fantastic saves. It is always disappointing when you lead twice but don’t win but we have to be happy because Arsenal are a big team and with five minutes left we were losing but kept fighting and we managed to equalise which not many people would have expected so it is a good result for us and the performance was superb.

    gYrXtno.png

    qaiPCyz.png

    Q: Nuno a disappointing loss what are your thoughts on the match?
    Santo: It was a very even game that could have gone any way. They scored a beautiful goal to secure the three points these things happen we are disappointed with the result but not our performance because we had chances but there keeper made some great saves and you could see they came here with more caution. Maybe we should have been a little more fearless when we saw their set up I think we might have shown them to much respect but it was a good performance.

    Q: Fabio after a lot of criticism of your sides defence you put in a defensive midfielder who just so happened to score a screamer to win the game. Are you happy with your teams performance today?
    Cannavaro: I am satisfied with our performance, we were a lot more difficult to break down but we were as fluent in attack and if it wasn’t for a beautiful goal by Sandro (Tonali) we may have only drawn today. It was obviously important we won because our last two results in the league haven’t been what we were hoping for but we are back to winning ways and hopefully we can push on now and go on a run of results.

    THgIhga.png

    Fenerbahce (4-2-3-1): Cech, Manea, Neustadter, Reyes, Dobre (Isla, 84), Cigerci, Tufan (Topal, 74), Alici, Potuk, Acar (Dirar, 55), Frey
    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Lichtsteiner (Jenkinson, 62), Holding, Koscielny, Kolarov (Bramall, 75), Elneny, Zelalem (Tonali, 87), Lodeiro, Sessegnon, Williams, Oyarzabal

    Q: Ersun after going behind twice how happy are you with that point?
    Yanal: I am happy because we deserved to draw against a team that was expected to win the group easily. We showed that we can compete and we are growing in confidence we believe that we can win this group. People say Arsenal weren’t at full strength but this team they played is a team they will likely play for the whole tournament and I feel we could have won the game.

    Q: Fabio disappointing to concede so late. Given the fact you made so many changes and were playing away is that a point you would have taken before the game?
    Cannavaro: I think before the game we would have been happy with a point but to be leading twice and to take the lead after eighty six minutes we should have seen it through and collected the three points. Fenerbahce are a good team that’s why they are challenging us for the top spot but now we play them at home and hopefully next time we play them we won’t have a game two days later but I am happy with our performance because everybody stepped up and showed we have depth.

    nRSzfoY.png

    Q: Fabio an incredible game. What are your thoughts on such a thrilling game?
    Cannavaro: It was a great game but we feel we could have played better but the main thing is that we won the game and we won it in difficult circumstances which shows the character that we have in the team. I think Andrea (Belotti) today was very clinical which is what you need when you don’t play as well as you would like, We have some excellent players in this team Bernd (Leno) was exceptional and we dug in.

    Q: David a disappointing result and disappointing way to lose. Do you think you deserved more from the game?
    Wagner: We hit the post three times in the first half and we went through one on one, at half time we were in shock that we were losing then the second half starts and within ten minutes we are 2-0 down then we showed incredible team spirit and ability to make it 2-2 and then we switch ff for a second and they punish us again. I think they created three chances of note and they scored all three which shows why you have to be efficient against these teams.

    XNqDNUX.png

    Arsenal (4-3-3): Martinez, Mallo (Lichtsteiner, 74), Koscielny, Holding, Kolarov, Elneny, Torreira (Tonali, 59), Lodeiro, Sessegnon, Belotti (Williams, 59), Oyarzabal
    Wolves (5-2-3): Ruddy, Doherty, Hause, Boly (Jantschke, 74), Coady, Vinagre, Moutinho (Mazzitelli, 59), Ronan, Costa, Bonatini, Jota

    Q: Fabio into the next round how happy are you with that result?
    Cannavaro: I’m very happy with the performance and the result. I thought we controlled a majority of the game, they scored a very well worked goal but we had more chances to score two or three more but we did what was required and we are now in the next round and I am happy with the way we played.

    Q: Nuno not the result you wanted. What are your thoughts on the game?
    Santos: I thought that the first half was very even and we matched them very well but in the second half we seemed to take our foot off the gas and they were in control. It is disappointing because we wanted to push on at half time and really get in their faces to make things really hard for them because they have played a lot of games we thought they might tire but it seemed to be the other way round maybe it was a tactical mistake I don’t know

    aq2jXER.png

    Q: Roy a disappointing result for your team do you feel your team deserved more after that performance?
    Hodgson: I’m really unhappy that we were given a penalty in the first half which I thought was a clear penalty for a foul on Al Abed by Mallo. Moments like these in games change matches and we could have gone on to win if we had been given that penalty because it was at a crucial time of the game. I thought we were fantastic, we hit both posts, hit the crossbar and came close with a couple of other efforts so I think Arsenal know they are lucky to have won that game today.

    Q: Fabio, Roy Hodgson said he feels his team should have had a penalty and they deserved to win what are your thoughts on his comments?
    Cannavaro: I don’t know about the penalty, I will have to ask him which moment in the game he feels was a penalty but in terms of them deserving to win I think he should be happy with his teams performance because they played very well and on another day could have won. I feel it was an even game we had chances to score more as well would people say we deserved to win if they had won I don’t know but the fact is we got the win and I feel we deserved the win.

    12Idrql.png

    95OAVL5.png
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Very good results (I think you have wrong the one vs Huddersfield). The team look solid in all competitions, although the defense really struggle and the forwards are carrying the team on their shoulders. It's alarming the amount of goals Arsenal are receiving.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    subpop wrote: »
    Very good results (I think you have wrong the one vs Huddersfield). The team look solid in all competitions, although the defense really struggle and the forwards are carrying the team on their shoulders. It's alarming the amount of goals Arsenal are receiving.

    Oops I also have Parmas badge wrong. The defensive issues are a very big concern I thought after the Wolves game that the system in that game maybe useful but then the next game we struggled again
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    5niPt1Z.png

    Arsenal are delighted to confirm the arrival of Attacking midfielder Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon who will join the club on 1st January 2021 when the transfer window reopens. The twenty six year old has signed a four year deal and will join the club for a record fee in the region of £82,500,000. Fabio had this to say on the signing

    Cannavaro “I am delighted to be able to welcome Bruno to the club, he is the player we highlighted as our top priority as soon as Mesut (Ozil) left the club and I feel he will fit in to our style perfectly. We can’t wait to see him pull on the Arsenal shirt he is for me one of the best attacking midfielders in the world and the fact the club were willing to put not just money but the time and the effort in to getting this deal completed shows how highly rated he is.

    In more news defensive midfielder Mohamed Elneny has agreed to join Inter Milan for £25,000,000. The Egyptian international has made fifteen appearances this season with six coming in the Premier League though most of them have been from the bench and he has stated he is going to Italy to try and find more game time Fabio added this on his move

    Cannavaro “We are sad to see Mo leave the club he has been a fantastic servant to the club over the last few years but he wanted more guaranteed game time which we couldn’t give him. I appreciate the efforts he has put in since I have been here and I am happy we have found a solution for him and we wish him all the best at Inter Milan. I am hopeful we will be able to bring somebody in to replace him we have a couple of targets in mind and I am confident the player I have asked for is a deal we will be able to secure in January as he has a release clause which I think is very reasonable but we will wait and see we won’t rush.”
  • Wyojasond
    11568 posts Has That Special Something
    Bruno! Such a classy player. He’s going to bring so much to your attack!
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bruno! Such a classy player. He’s going to bring so much to your attack!

    I hope so he seems to have everything looking at his stats
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Wow... 82 MM!!

    This is a huge investment. Cannavaro really wanted him. For this price, he must become a true leader of Arsenal for the seasons to come.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    8VtHQee.png

    ZtpKwZs.png

    UfNiRmi.png

    3jQfT89.png

    7Gq500W.png

    12-december.png

    MnTyRrf.png

    Q: Eddie disappointing to equalise so late and then lose on penalties. Are you happy with your sides performance despite being eliminated?
    Howe: It’s one of them games where we are happy to an extent because we came from two goals down and kept fighting until the end but when we look at the other results tonight this is a trophy I feel we could have won but we will have to bounce back and concentrate on the league and hopefully we can have a good run in the FA Cup when that comes around. Arsenal are a top team and if I’m being honest a draw was the fair result and then it is down to luck and they had the luck I feel missing our first penalty gave them a massive lift because they will have been gutted to have to go through penalties.

    Q: Fabio through to the semis but not the method you would have wanted how are you feeling?
    Cannavaro: I feel very happy that we have the chance to play in a Semi Final, we are close to the final and a chance to play at Wembley which is exciting. I feel although we could have won the game in normal time the main thing is we progress to the final and we managed to do that. We are now obviously the favourites to win the game but we have seen so many upsets this season which is why we have been made favourites so it is important we keep our focus for the rest of the competition and hopefully win some silverware.

    7OKTXPb.png

    Q: Fabio a much closer game then many people expected. How happy are you with the win but also with the clean sheet?
    Cannavaro: I think it was a god performance but a performance that will be criticised because we seem to receive more criticism for everything we do. We defended very well, we hit the woodwork twice so could have scored more but we remained calm and patient as the game went on goalless and then at the end of the game with eighteen minutes left we scored and we won the game. The clean sheet is nice because we don’t have enough of them but the win is crucial.

    Q: Sean a disappointing loss do you feel your team deserved a point from the game?
    Dyche: Yes definitely, we came to the Emirates and defended brilliantly and I feel we could have even nicked it with the chances we created but I wasn’t to be which is a disappointment. Its one of them things we’ve had a lot of luck go against us and it has cost us points but we aren’t far away from safety a couple of good results and we will find ourselves safe there’s a long way to go and a few more performances like today will see us pick up wins for sure.

    KcWdJMP.png

    Q: Bruno a loss today but the team still qualifies for the knock out stages are you happy to be in the next round of the competition?
    Alves: Yes I am delighted to be in the next round. Obviously it has been a tough replacing Fabio because he did fantastic so to come up against him twice I feel I have learnt a lot and its nice to catch up with him after the games I will go for a drink with him in the board room and just have a chat with him. The league we have struggled a little bit and find ourselves in a relegation battle which isn’t ideal but we have two months now to concentrate solely on the league and I’m confident we can push up the table.

    Q: Fabio you’ve won the group but how strange was it coming here and managing against Parma and what did you make of the warm reception you received?
    Cannavaro: I am very happy they gave me a warm reception because I loved my time in charge here and I feel we achieved quite a lot in our short time together. It makes me sad to see them back in the relegation places but I feel Bruno will turn it around given time it is difficult in your first season but he has shown in the Europa league by finishing second in the group the team have quality. I think Emiliano today was outstanding he saved a penalty and made three world class saves he is an incredible keeper and we’re lucky to have him

    fzTTDqX.png

    Q: Eddie coming from behind to draw are you happy with that result?
    Howe: Yes I am delighted with our performance. Obviously we made a few changes and they paid off with Jordan grabbing two crucial goals. I felt it was an even game that could have gone either way similar to the game a couple of weeks ago obviously a draw gives us a point this time and I think it is fair I mean we had a massive chance to win it at the end but the keeper has come out quickly to deny the chance but it was a good result and I’m happy with the performance of the lads

    Q: Fabio you led twice but still came up short will you be targeting defensive reinforcements in the January transfer window?
    Cannavaro: No we won’t be signing a defender next month, I think we will sign maybe one player if we can get the deal done and that is to replace Mohamed (Elneny). We aren’t happy obviously with our defensive performances and it is something we are looking to rectify but we won’t be signing a defender in January because it is difficult to do deals in the January window and we already have four centre backs at the club so we would need to sell one and then bring another in plus sign a midfielder it is to much work for January plus I have faith in the defenders we have.

    2O99b7s.png

    Q: Fabio 2-0 down at half time how happy are you with that comeback from your team?
    Cannavaro: I thought that the game started a little slowly the first twenty five minutes and then we gifted them a goal and then five minutes later we didn’t clear gave them a corner and they doubled the lead after that Liverpool dominated the half and could have scored more especially with the penalty which Bernd has pulled off a great save. The second half we said we have to play without fear and Bernd has played a superb long ball in behind for Reiss and Andrea has headed us back into the game before a super cross from Marcelo has given us the three points.

    Q: Jurgen a game of two halves. After dominating so much of the first half how frustrating is it to only come away with a point?
    Klopp: Of course I am frustrated because the first half we could have scored two or three more goals and then we have been caught on the counter for their first. When you lead 2-0 you shouldn’t be getting counter attacked like for their first goal and the second goal we switched off at the back post and they had a free header. I think other then these two moments we deserved to win they did nothing other then this. I thought Bernd made some world class saves especially in the second half where I thought we were certain to score but when a keeper makes a save like that he deserves a point.

    w8de8rD.png

    Q: Maurizio you left the pitch to a chorus of boos. Are you nervous about your job given the poor season your side is enduring?
    Sarri: I do not think about my job because we have been in good form leading up to this game and we are still confident we can qualify for the Champions League. I think the match today he only difference was that Andrea (Belotti) scored twice, it was an even game that anybody could have won but the difference was their striker finished his chances superbly and our striker didn’t. I feel I am still the right man for the job and I am confident this can still be a successful season for us.

    Q: Fabio a superb win away from home. Was this your best performance as a team this season?
    Cannavaro: I think it is one of our best performances, we kept things tight at the back and scored two beautiful goals. This is the performance we were looking for we receive a lot of criticism but when you look at our season we have had a fantastic season we won our group in the Europa League, we are in the Carabao Cup Semi Finals and we are in third place in the Premier League sitting only a couple of points off the top spots.

    qzRPCJg.png

    Q: Fabio with five minutes left you were 2-0 down how happy are you with that come back from the team?
    Cannavaro: We made two terrible mistakes just before half time and they punished us for them, being honest I think Watford deserved to win the match but we didn’t stop fighting and for the second home game in a row we were 2-0 down at half time and fought to draw the game. You have to think about these positives in the game we have a tremendous amount of heart and I think we don’t know when the game is over. This team has an amazing spirit that I am proud of they all fight for each other.

    Q: Javi how frustrating is it to be leading 2-0 and to drop two points?
    Gracia: I am furious if I am being honest, to lead by two goals and to work so hard all game just to throw it away at the end. I think we came to the Emirates and outplayed Arsenal at 2-0 we hit the bar and had a couple of other chances, we should be leaving here with three points with a lot of pride but football is that game where the best team doesn’t always win and today that was one of them occasions.

    InldCU8.png

    R6N3XYN.png

  • WestardLord
    1502 posts Play-Off Hero
    I like Bruno, probably a worthy replacement for Ozil.

    Annoying series of draws here, but not bad results in the current standings. The team can still continue to make inroads into the top 2.
Sign In or Register to comment.