Save the Crew! - Chester Lee "Respect"|The End?

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 17
    sUITiEM.png

0BKflaS.png

SzPQyl2.png

Austin FC Crest:
    JbmvgnN.png
    96fds2M.png

This is a re-post, but I thought it was more appropriate here.

https://www.austinfc.com/

yPXjc0j.png

Supporters Shield:
    vDDDAyw.png
    Wnf0mvm.png
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    The club should stay where it was founded. Austin go and look somewhere else.

"Greener pastures" was a great reading. :D
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I laughed out loud at the "greener pastures" article. It's funny because you know there is a clueless business man out there who thinks that way.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    subpop wrote: »
    The club should stay where it was founded. Austin go and look somewhere else.

"Greener pastures" was a great reading. :D
    What is interesting in the real life saga of Columbus Crew, is that when Anthony Precourt purchased the team, the expectation was that the Crew would stay in Columbus. There was a little known clause in the contract, however, that stated Precourt could move the team to Austin (and only Austin) if Columbus didn't meet certain conditions (like a new stadium proposal). Precourt had no intention of keeping the Crew in Columbus as his real life actions dictated. Why Austin is so special, considering he's based in the San Francisco area is beyond me. I've been to Austin briefly during one summer, and it was HOT! Seemed a decent city though. I was trying to be funny, but in the days of political correctness, you never know. The steers and queers is a movie quote (which I often do) and nothing more.
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    I laughed out loud at the "greener pastures" article. It's funny because you know there is a clueless business man out there who thinks that way.
    Yeah, Anthony Precourt. :D Although I embellished a little (lot?), this story is based on real events, and I tried to get the dates right in the story. A lot of this last post was inspired from a real life opinion article. I've been to Austin, and trees were not an impression I left with. :o
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 20
    I9re1wQ.png

Match Day Thirty-three - Orlando City SC vs Columbus Crew SC

Match Report:
    zjMxmqE.png

Oi2F4FP.png

Team Stats:
    bDSjyOf.png
    fA27ISz.png

heJT7nP.png

Supporters Shield:
    vK9IlBY.png
    mOj8n1E.png
  • LAboog4
    I'm not sure how many games the MLS plays but it looks like you're in the playoffs with the standings as they are.

Would you play New York in the first round?
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm not sure how many games the MLS plays but it looks like you're in the playoffs with the standings as they are.

Would you play New York in the first round?
    MLS plays 34 matches during the regular season. Crew has clinched a playoff spot at this point and likely third, but in the above graphic, there is still an outside chance NYCFC could move up based on Goal Differential (assuming Crew loses next match and NYCFC win).

Based on the current standings above, Crew would face New York Red Bulls (not NYCFC) in the knockout round. I'll post an overview of the playoff format used in this game in a couple of posts. FYI, the current MLS season has a new playoff format as new expansion teams have already or are set to enter the league (including our beloved Austin FC :p ).
  • subpop
    Interesting story about the club. I guess that, from the European point of view, it is unthinkable that a club can move from its original city to a different one. Independently of ownership, for me, a club's main assets are his supporters. I just can't imagine to see my club losing its roots to change badge or colors and move somewhere else. But even if I lived in Austin, I wouldn't like to see a club like this representing my city.

I know it happened in other American sports often... but it goes against my principles as sport fan. However, as I said, this is just my European point of view, which may be wrong out of context.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Interesting story about the club. I guess that, from the European point of view, it is unthinkable that a club can move from its original city to a different one. Independently of ownership, for me, a club's main assets are his supporters. I just can't imagine to see my club losing its roots to change badge or colors and move somewhere else. But even if I lived in Austin, I wouldn't like to see a club like this representing my city.

I know it happened in other American sports often... but it goes against my principles as sport fan. However, as I said, this is just my European point of view, which may be wrong out of context.
    Sports ownership over here is a billionair's club and we fans are at the mercy of their whims. Cities, however, are getting smarter and are passing local laws to protect themselves. Crew is a great story of the fans rising up like Cleveland did in the past to save their team. I'm glad MLS reconsidered their position and helped to keep Crew in Columbus. Austin gets a new team, but I think I will always hate them as long as Precourt owns them, and I'm not even from Ohio.

NFL is the worst, and why I don't watch American football (sadly, I'm a minority). I have nothing against the sport, but LA has not had a team in twenty years because of bullsh** and now I'm supposed to like either the Rams or Chargers because they moved here and left their old cities high and dry? The Chargers need to get out of StubHub because they ruin the grass for the Galaxy. :D
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 23
    uJIC953.png

Match Day Thirty-four - Columbus Crew SC vs Minnesota United FC

Match Facts:
    6QghWeu.png

5S4uu29.png

Team Stats:
    otpzRWF.png
    6A3CJ7J.png

cYtCDUR.png

Supporters Shield:
    RVeb5f5.png
    bdkPqek.png

Toronto FC win the Supporters Shield for best overall record.
    Atlanta United FC sit atop the end of season Power Rankings with a win over Toronto FC (potential Eastern Conference Finals match-up).
    The East overwhelmingly beat the West in head-to-head match-ups, but the Sounders remain a strong contender for MLS Cup despite their slip in the last two matches.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 25
    lLo1y5g.png

Ry9PUdK.png

XP80Sof.png
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hey guys,

This might be a bad time with end of season drama and the Champions League, but I was considering an interactive element to this story as it comes to a close. It wouldn't take much effort to participate, but I would need to know if enough people are interested so I don't waste anybody's time. Here is an overview:

Pick a Winner Sweepstakes:
    Person is required to pick the winner of each match and provide the score during the playoff rounds.
    Person will earn a point for each correct choice; the score prediction accuracy will be used as a tie-breaker.
    The winner is the person who accumulates the most points at the end. Simple.

To start, for example, the person would pick the winner and provide the scores for each match of the Knockout Round, which would be 4 matches. I will provide team stats for each match so you can make an informed decision. I will play the matches for Columbus Crew, but should I lose before the end, the contest will continue. There will be at least a day in between updates if not more, so you won't be pressured to get the scores in.

If enough people are interested, I will provide more details before we get started. Just post a yay if your interested.

Thanks. :)
  • LAboog4
    Yay

I like guessing numbers. :)
  • subpop
    Yay. I'm in.
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Yay.

Very interesting. ;)
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yay

I like guessing numbers. :)
    Yay. I'm in.
    DonGabriel wrote: »
    Yay.

Very interesting. ;)

Great! I hope to have something posted later today. I'm on Pacific Standard + Daylight Savings time so I'm probably, what, seven hours behind many of you guys? Thanks, and good luck! B)
  • Danimal5981
    2130 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pacific standard is 9 hours behind continental Europe. I suppose it's an hour less compared to the British Isles
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Only four hours behind me, it's fair enough.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    qE8OzCo.png
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 27
    lmFVueA.png

4BDpiFU.png
    After the end of the regular season of 34 matches, MLS undergoes a playoff that will ultimately pit the Eastern Conference champion against the Western Conference champion for the MLS Cup. MLS has changed its playoff format for the 2019 season to accommodate its expansion; the format presented here was last used in the 2018 season.

Knockout Round
    The top two seeds in each conference receive a bye the first round. Seeds 3-6 in each conference play against one another in the Knockout Round, which is a one-off match with the winner advancing to the Conference Semifinals. Teams with the better league record have home field advantage with Seed 3 hosting Seed 6, and Seed 4 hosting Seed 5. If tied at the end of regulation, the match will play two 15 minute overtime periods (no golden goal), and then advance to penalties if still tied.

Conference Semifinals
    The Conference Semifinal is a two leg series aggregate score with the lower seeded team hosting the first match, and the higher seeded team hosting the second. The highest seeded team in the conference (Seed 1) will play the lowest seeded team in the same conference that advances out of the Knockout Round. Away goals are a factor in leg 2 of the series but are discounted if the match goes into overtime. Leg 1 can end in a draw, but leg 2 has two 15 minute overtime periods (no golden goal), and then penalties if needed.

Conference Finals
    The Conference Final is also a two leg series aggregate score with the lower seeded team from the same conference hosting the first match, and the higher seeded team hosting the second. Same rules apply as in the Conference Semifinals regarding away goals, etc.

MLS Cup Final
    Historically, the final was played at a predetermined venue much like the NFL Superbowl, but since 2012, the team with the best regular season record hosts the final. The final is a one-off match with two 15 minute overtime periods and penalty kicks if necessary.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 27
    Rf6s29M.png
    Just a reminder, these matches cannot end in a draw and will go to penalties if necessary. The teams listed on the left will have home field advantage.

IlCLn93.png
    Team Stats:
    6A3CJ7J.png
    o9EQQQD.png

SWayCqH.png
    Team Stats:
    1ap8wV2.png
    wg4UiTT.png

jQNzO1U.png
    NOTE: I will be playing the match as Columbus Crew SC

Team Stats:
    otpzRWF.png
    oy6cSM7.png

WMfdmvu.png
    Team Stats:
    t4dgl84.png
    aYJYwFe.png
  • WestardLord
    1400 posts Professional
    Very interesting way to end this, but the instructions seem a little complicated.

Here are my predictions, if I'm doing this right:

Minnesota United 1, Whitecaps FC 0

LA Galaxy 2, Sporting KC 1

Columbus Crew SC 2, Philadelphia Union 1

New York City FC 1(5), NY Red Bulls 1(3)
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Very interesting way to end this, but the instructions seem a little complicated.

Good feedback. You're right, I probably didn't need to go into detail on how I tally the scores, but I'm a detail oriented person. :# Basically, the idea is to pick the winner of the match and try to be as accurate in the score prediction as possible in case there is a tie at the end.

Your predictions are a perfect example for others, easy to interpret with no ambiguity.
    Your last prediction is also a good example for predicting a draw with an opportunity to earn 2 points.
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Minnesota United 2 vs 1 Whitecaps FC

LA Galaxy 2 vs 0 Sporting KC

Columbus Crew SC 1 (4) vs 1 (3) Philadelphia Union

New York City FC 1 vs 2 NY Red Bulls
  • LAboog4
    Minnesota United 3, Whitecaps FC 1

LA Galaxy 1, Sporting KC 2

Columbus Crew SC 2, Philadelphia Union 0

New York City FC 3, NY Red Bulls 2
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    I should have done this earlier. Thanks @WestardLord , @DonGabriel , @LAboog4 for getting their predictions in.
    It took me a little longer than expected to get things setup, but I believe I got things working properly.
    I also want to extend an invitation to others who have been active recently in this section who may want to participate (sorry if I left you out). Anyone who wants to pick a winner is welcome. :)
    @Ashy , @DB1512 , @subpop , @Danimal5981 , @Codeydbw , @JoshDFC , @bhurst99
  • subpop
    edited April 30
    Minnesota United 1 (5), Whitecaps FC 1 (4)

LA Galaxy 3, Sporting KC 1

Columbus Crew SC 2, Philadelphia Union 1

New York City FC 2, NY Red Bulls 1

Sorry... time is short for me in recent weeks
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 4
    lZOnVFO.png

Playoff Knockout Round - Columbus Crew SC vs Philadelphia Union

Match Report:
    lujUjmS.png
    DTkMVLf.png

S64mo0r.png
  • LAboog4
    Haha love the "bimbo" joke. Even matchup all season and luckily you came out on top this time. Even though my pick was wrong..
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Haha love the "bimbo" joke. Even matchup all season and luckily you came out on top this time. Even though my pick was wrong..
    I'm tempted to give you an extra point for noticing. :D Speaking of picks...