Save the Crew! - Chester Lee "Respect"|The End?

Comments

• Wyojasond
    10700 posts Has That Special Something
    🤣🤣🤣 keep those team motivators coming Chester Lee
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    This winning streak is about to get expensive for Chester with all the celebrations :D
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    5mvbP2e.png

H45BYoB.png
  • Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    Three away games in July, will be a good test for the squad and a chance to bond in other cities.
  • Wyojasond
    10700 posts Has That Special Something
    Going all over the country in the next few weeks. Hopefully all the motivators in those towns can keep the boys awake
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    This winning streak is about to get expensive for Chester with all the celebrations :D
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Three away games in July, will be a good test for the squad and a chance to bond in other cities.
    Going all over the country in the next few weeks. Hopefully all the motivators in those towns can keep the boys awake
    XV3lad2.png
    "I've been drinking too much, Last time I gave a urine sample there was an olive in it."--Chester Lee

Interesting thing about the schedule. As far as I can tell, this first year is based on the actual 2018 MLS schedule for each team. It's a lot of bouncing around the country and MLS doesn't charter flights, they use commercial.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Thanks for sharing how power rankings work!!

Another victory and the Crew is on top!! (Well, with the rivals with some games in hand... although this latest run of results is brilliant!).
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    subpop wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing how power rankings work!!

Another victory and the Crew is on top!! (Well, with the rivals with some games in hand... although this latest run of results is brilliant!).

Team has been able to hold it's own by playing off its defense, but we do struggle at times to get good shots. Some good tests this month to see how team really stacks up against the competition.

Power Rankings was one of the trickier parts of the spreadsheet, first attempts had teams jumping up or down too much, but I'm content with how this latest one works. It was a good exercise at any rate.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    LrdQg2u.png

Pregame Press Conference:

Question: "Mr. Lee, do you have a specific game plan for trying to contain Zlatan Ibrahimovic?"

Chester Lee: "Zoltan What-the-F-omovic? I don't know if you just sneezed or have turrets. I've seen his stats, and this guy couldn't score on gratis night at a brothel."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "Who is this Chester Lee? He thinks he's the comedian of football. I have more goals than he has games."

Chester Lee: "Tell you what, Zoltan, if the Galaxy win and you score a goal, I'll buy you a lap dance."

Match Day Twenty - LA Galaxy vs Columbus Crew SC

wpePsSp.png

iEaFawe.png

Njou7TY.png

Team Stats:
    P5GgYlF.png
    l49gX8f.png

Standings:
    UXUsXAJ.png

Oytwwjy.png

Tmp10WM.png
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    Great win in LA, it seems like the team actually defends better on the road then at home. Meram hit his shot perfect on the low cross, it looked like a game of chances but Zlatan and the Galaxy couldn't convert.
  • subpop
    Probably a lucky victory after watching video and stats, but anything is good if Zoltan gets mad.
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    After such a poor start the team have done brilliant to now reach top even though other teams have games in hand they have still done fantastic and hopefully this team can keep the form going
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bf2b1c57947583959a2ff9f
    Simply wow! What a finish to the game. Poor Zlatan...who?
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Great win in LA, it seems like the team actually defends better on the road then at home. Meram hit his shot perfect on the low cross, it looked like a game of chances but Zlatan and the Galaxy couldn't convert.
    The Galaxy certainly had their chances, while limited, but they were either off the mark or straight at the keeper. Second half was a battle in the midfield where LA lost and the Crew's patience paid off at the very end.
    Probably a lucky victory after watching video and stats, but anything is good if Zoltan gets mad.
    We were probably lucky to get out of the first half with a clean sheet, but the Crew were in control in the second half. Thought the 3 man back line would open up the wings, but unlike real life, LA marked well and played great team defense. There's been a few late winners, so I guess persistence pays off.
    Zoltan is what my sister called Zlatan, so thought I would use that. :) I developed respect for the guy in real life for his commitment; hopefully he will come to an amicable arrangement with LA for next season.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    After such a poor start the team have done brilliant to now reach top even though other teams have games in hand they have still done fantastic and hopefully this team can keep the form going
    The team is hanging in there even though they haven't been convincing, but at least they are consistent when it comes to defending.
    Simply wow! What a finish to the game. Poor Zlatan...who?
    I kind of felt a goal was coming but thought we would run out of time. This Zlatan is having a tough time of it. I wrote the pregame comments before I played the match to add a little pressure. Zlatan just wasn't up for the challenge.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    EJNQdB9.png

Match Day Twenty-one - New York City FC vs Columbus Crew SC

86NLd7O.png

6aBrDBi.png

Team Stats:
    g5yFJDd.png
    w994yn3.png

Standings:
    PoLKOAq.png

nEtP4eB.png

xUqSzvT.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Ouch. That foul was a physical injury...but yet another narrow win. Columbus being Columbus there again. Using their small chances clinical. These stats at it again though :|
  • subpop
    Penalty or not (it actually was a penalty), lucky or not (stats show NYCFC) were superior,... it doesn't matter. The team keeps winning and it is not an exception, it is a trend.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ouch. That foul was a physical injury...but yet another narrow win. Columbus being Columbus there again. Using their small chances clinical. These stats at it again though :|
    Penalty or not (it actually was a penalty), lucky or not (stats show NYCFC) were superior,... it doesn't matter. The team keeps winning and it is not an exception, it is a trend.
    If anything, the team has shown it can hang tough in games, and sometimes they'll catch breaks. Didn't think it was a penalty until I saw the replay, and after that, there should have been a card shown. :o
    Disappointed in the offense as they lacked creativity in the final third. Chester doesn't have the personnel to be an offensive force (although the Crew rank in the top 10), but he has to do something to get more shots. Otherwise it will be a quick playoff exit when defenses are tighter.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    ThSEwk6.png

XFCxzQd.png

Match Day Twenty-two - Columbus Crew SC vs Orlando City SC

wqTbPMO.png

cr8qaOm.png

Team Stats:
    AWeornM.png
    Ds5ltqR.png

Standings:
    GhZVxCy.png

9r3iIyR.png

SSROE9X.png

Game Notes:
    Chester Lee tried a 4-3-3 formation with Argudo, Sosa, and Hansen starting in the midfield (possible future starters). All in all, the three played well. Hansen came out a little early because of the yellow card. Argudo also had a yellow, but Chester wanted to get Martinez in, and he was Hansen's replacement.

Offside Controversy:
    6casVbf.png
    Justin Meram (bottom of the screen) had a goal called back because of offside. The replay shows he was clearly offside when the cross was made, but he was not involved in the initial play as shown in the picture, Zardes was, and he was onside. It looked to me like the defender headed the ball away on the cross, and if that's the case, there should not have been an offside because a player can't be offside if the defender plays the ball. Was it ruled a deflection? I don't see how as the defender saw the cross and attempted to defend it. Did Zardes get a head on it? If he did, he was onside and the picture shows Meram onside after contact with the ball by either Zardes or the defender. Should have been a goal in my opinion.
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    It was just this day again when Columbus was not supposed to win...still the unbeaten run continues. Good to see the renewals of the younger players. Seems like they aren't done with the strip clubs yet.
  • subpop
    It seems it was a game of alternatives. Despite Orlando seemed to enjoy the first chances, Zardes changed the course of the match with a nice header and could have extended the lead with that shot that went to the post.

Then they tied before half time, a terrible moment for it, and turned the score around early in the 2nd half. Thankfully Sosa made justice a bit later.

It definitely wasn't a penalty... if they had scored, it would have been dramatic, but karma played its role.

Not the best result, but given the circumstances, it could have been worse.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    It was just this day again when Columbus was not supposed to win...still the unbeaten run continues. Good to see the renewals of the younger players. Seems like they aren't done with the strip clubs yet.
    Not too disappointed with the draw as we were playing without several starters and a different lineup. There were (are) a lot of players whose contracts run out at the end of the season, so Chester has identified a core group to build on. Will focus on his back line next, since there is not a lot of money this season for transfers, let alone strip clubs. :*
    It seems it was a game of alternatives. Despite Orlando seemed to enjoy the first chances, Zardes changed the course of the match with a nice header and could have extended the lead with that shot that went to the post.

Then they tied before half time, a terrible moment for it, and turned the score around early in the 2nd half. Thankfully Sosa made justice a bit later.

It definitely wasn't a penalty... if they had scored, it would have been dramatic, but karma played its role.

Not the best result, but given the circumstances, it could have been worse.
    The Crew were out of sorts to start the match and kept turning the ball over. Once they settled in, they were able to put pressure on Orlando. Goal before half resulted from another bad turnover that would have had the team up a goal. Game management. Orlando's second goal was a good play where Martinez took his eye off the runner for a second. Nice shot and happened real fast. Maybe Steffen would have saved it if he were in goal, but we'll never know. We have the players to play a 4-3-3 but we would have to take better care of the ball. A good team would punish us more than Orlando. Something for Chester to think about.

Got lucky on the penalty, karma as you say. :)
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    82BvoVq.png

Austin FC:
    JbmvgnN.png

96fds2M.png

ZE8vkqx.png
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Disappointing to twice take the lead and get pegged back. The team are still flying high but it is difficult as other teams have games in hand so it is hard to judge where you will be when they catch up
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Disappointing to twice take the lead and get pegged back. The team are still flying high but it is difficult as other teams have games in hand so it is hard to judge where you will be when they catch up
    That is true, not a lot separating the teams in the table. Typically at this point, the playoff contenders would be evident, but only Toronto has a cushion in points and games in hand. Team is not losing, so I guess that's good, and we had a nice win streak but it will still be close, I think.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    1W6KvNN.png

Match Day Twenty-three - New York Red Bulls vs Columbus Crew SC

MjEbTLi.png

lMQWbCJ.png

Team Stats:
    LrrlgZJ.png
    XXVdRyO.png

Standings:
    vCqTddr.png

EiHUR1i.png

khI8avD.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    But that Bulls goalie showed balls by saving quite a lot of balls. :o Denied good chances for Columbus.
  • subpop
    Too bad the team was not able to keep the advantage. Still the latest results show that the team goes in the right direction.

At some point I thought it would have been good to reach the playoffs. Now I think that you will be there and maybe you might avoid the first round of it.

And given the circumstances... who knows what can happen next.
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    But that Bulls goalie showed balls by saving quite a lot of balls. :o Denied good chances for Columbus.
    Luis Robles is a good goalkeeper. To use a basketball term, you could say he was ballin'. :D
    Too bad the team was not able to keep the advantage. Still the latest results show that the team goes in the right direction.

At some point I thought it would have been good to reach the playoffs. Now I think that you will be there and maybe you might avoid the first round of it.

And given the circumstances... who knows what can happen next.
    We seem to consistently not get beat, so if we can get a few wins here and there, we should make the playoffs. Have a light schedule next month with a big game against Atlanta in Atlanta. Schedule should start to even out, and Chester will see where he stands. In two games, Crew is evenly matched with Red Bulls where the match could have went either way; hopefully we can avoid them in the playoffs (I think they will find a way to make it).
  • Virtual_K
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    gHLGzdp.png

lJPpQUW.png