Save the Crew! - Chester Lee "Respect"|The End?

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    GdsgMwX.png

Match Day Fifteen - Columbus Crew SC vs Toronto FC

Q1pj4WJ.png

HDZK628.png

Zi6kZdR.png

Team Stats:
    o8BAt47.png
    tU9RkBb.png

Standings:
    EZd5s6D.png

AdHItji.png

2WIGvzV.png
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • Wyojasond
    11553 posts Has That Special Something
    Shame to lose the game late like that. Hopefully Giovinco gets blown back to where he belongs before you play him next time 🤣

tenor.gif?itemid=5674392
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Shame to lose the game late like that. Hopefully Giovinco gets blown back to where he belongs before you play him next time 🤣
    :joy: That is so funny, I was laughing for 20 minutes. You get funny points for that one.
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Came up just short against Toronto..
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Big points for Toronto. Shame about the late defeat but Toronto seem to be in a great form this season...
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    What a robbery... how can it be a penalty?! Shame to lose this way. The team struggles to get points, but if the refs play against you...
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Shame to lose the game so late how many teams qualify for the play offs from each section?
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Came up just short against Toronto..
    A little bit. :p
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Big points for Toronto. Shame about the late defeat but Toronto seem to be in a great form this season...
    Toronto has become the front runner in the Eastern Conference. Toronto had more shots, but Crew had the better chances. Should have gotten a point from this one.
    subpop wrote: »
    What a robbery... how can it be a penalty?! Shame to lose this way. The team struggles to get points, but if the refs play against you...
    Kind of a lame penalty as the replay shows Giovinco initiating the contact, but that's what he does. Toronto built some momentum after that goal, but we had chances on the counter. Zardes probably should have passed on that last shot, but the runner was held back and he decided to take it himself. Disappointing not to get a point as the team passed better than normal and were more fluid moving the ball.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Shame to lose the game so late how many teams qualify for the play offs from each section?
    Late game winners seem to happen a lot for some reason. ;)
    Top six teams from each conference make the playoffs (above red line in the table). MLS is still adding teams with a near-term goal of 28 total (14 in each conference). Los Angeles FC started this season in the West, and I believe Cincinnati and Nashville are set to join the East next season (2019). Beckham's Inter Miami are set to join in 2020.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    jnLvslX.png

Qwj5oBh.png

iWVcqhB.png

Team Stats:
    wKYORiZ.png
    Nu2cM4A.png

Standings:
    50EfxQS.png

MG7Roun.png

Gz7kF8b.png
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    bm1Isbr.png

Match Day Seventeen - Columbus Crew SC vs Atlanta United FC

zJjRjpq.png

sPLfllf.png

Team Stats:
    kpGS3d2.png
    oH2RwuQ.png

Standings:
    L4Xl6dG.png

fncinNK.png

BINAYoz.png
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Good win over Red Bulls, only 2 shots on target but got the one that counted.

Zardes has been in great form, maybe Chester needs to take him to the strip club to celebrate.
  • Wyojasond
    Couple of great games. Stole one from Red Bull’s and then a respectable draw against Atlanta. Strip club is always a good motivator 😂
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    These stats are always looking frightening considering the shot counts..
    Shame about the late goal again by Atlanta. Should have been another win to make it 2 in a row. But solid nevertheless.
  • subpop
    Good to win 4 points out of 6. This victories give some oxygen to the team in the fight to enter in the playoffs and they're valuable as they were against teams that are direct rivals in this race.

However (I know I'm always a bit negative, sorry about that), doesn't the team allow too many shots against? It's scary to see the stats sometimes.

BTW, last season, you explained how the power rankings worked... would you mind to do a reminder? It was interesting. Thanks!
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Good win over Red Bulls, only 2 shots on target but got the one that counted.

Zardes has been in great form, maybe Chester needs to take him to the strip club to celebrate.
    It was another good defensive showing even though Red Bulls had shots; they just didn't have good ones. Blew a couple chances of our own but were patient enough to cash in when it counted. No good strip clubs in Columbus (don't know if that's really true); might have to wait for the trip to LA, the other silicone valley. ;)
    These stats are always looking frightening considering the shot counts..
    Shame about the late goal again by Atlanta. Should have been another win to make it 2 in a row. But solid nevertheless.
    Usually hold the opponent down the first half, but then in the second they always seem to go wild. Pretty even match with Red Bulls, but Atlanta were the better team for most of the match. Had a stretch early in the second half; we capitalized and almost stole the win.
    Couple of great games. Stole one from Red Bull’s and then a respectable draw against Atlanta. Strip club is always a good motivator 😂
    Red Bulls shot advantage is a little misleading in how the match went, we just missed some key passes in the final third but otherwise teams were evenly matched. Atlanta was a different story, but the team had a good stretch. Chester is a little old, but he might be UP for a strip club. :D
    Good to win 4 points out of 6. This victories give some oxygen to the team in the fight to enter in the playoffs and they're valuable as they were against teams that are direct rivals in this race.

However (I know I'm always a bit negative, sorry about that), doesn't the team allow too many shots against? It's scary to see the stats sometimes.

BTW, last season, you explained how the power rankings worked... would you mind to do a reminder? It was interesting. Thanks!
    As mentioned earlier, team usually keeps opponents shots down in the first half, but the second half is when things change. Chester has tried to press and then counter, but he is going to focus more on possession. Disappointed with the passing percentage these matches after feeling like the team turned a corner. Believe that is the key to reducing that scary number. :#

I'll re-post the information on Power Rankings after this next one, probably by Sunday. :)
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    3AwD840.png

04QS1qQ.png

Match Day Eighteen - Los Angeles FC vs Columbus Crew SC

bHG8nlF.png

NKCFU6X.png

Team Stats:
    iZF2TpN.png
    2w1X7Bu.png

Standings:
    2bAVSKm.png

Ji8eSeS.png

XP40DsX.png
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • subpop
    Recently the team keep growing and has found some consistency in terms of results, which is very good news. LAFC is having a really good season, so this result is gold. I guess it tastes really well to win in the last minute.

I am surprised that Federico Higuain actually got a renewal contract. It's good to honor veterans, but I don't know if he'll keep the level for the next 2 years.
  • Wyojasond
    Huge win keeps the team on it’s hot streak. Had Valenzuela on my team earlier this year. Talented LB but just didn’t work well with my system. Glad to see he’s working out well for you. Chester must have better ways to motivate him 🤔
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Great come from behind win. I didn't think the second goal was going to happen after a few shots hit the post and Miller made some nice saves. The bounce to Zardes was lucky but the result was well deserved with how the team took over the last 20 minutes.
  • WestardLord
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero
    Pretty fantastic comeback in the final minutes, and good to see the Crew are sort of saving themselves by holding near the top of the table.

also lol @ "save the crew & their burgers"
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    The team showed they have a real togetherness with the late comeback. Being 1-0 down with fifteen minutes left and then going on to win is a fantastic achievement especially away from home
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Finally a big win with a very late winner. Chester Lee finally is having the last laugh. Good to keep the core of the team together with these extensions. Shame on who is thinking that the trips to the strip clubs would influence the decisions.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Recently the team keep growing and has found some consistency in terms of results, which is very good news. LAFC is having a really good season, so this result is gold. I guess it tastes really well to win in the last minute.

I am surprised that Federico Higuain actually got a renewal contract. It's good to honor veterans, but I don't know if he'll keep the level for the next 2 years.
    Team keeps finding ways not lose, mostly, and getting some wins in between. This was a good showing in the second half, but like Toronto, LAFC defended deep and looked to counter, which plays into Crew's hands.
    As far as Higuain, he's been a loyal and influential player for the team who still has value. Eduardo Sosa is being groomed for his replacement, but he is only 21 and not ready to assume the mantle. Chester plans to gradually increase Sosa's minutes next season with a few more starts. There is plenty left in Higuain (leads league in assists) for two more seasons, and he's not overly priced.
    Huge win keeps the team on it’s hot streak. Had Valenzuela on my team earlier this year. Talented LB but just didn’t work well with my system. Glad to see he’s working out well for you. Chester must have better ways to motivate him 🤔
    This was probably the best game so far for Chester Lee; we'll see if the team can continue to improve their passing. Milton has good pace to get forward and recover. He's currently on loan to the team, but Chester hopes to work something out at the end of the season. How do you motivate any 19 year old kid? Keep reading... :D
    Great come from behind win. I didn't think the second goal was going to happen after a few shots hit the post and Miller made some nice saves. The bounce to Zardes was lucky but the result was well deserved with how the team took over the last 20 minutes.
    It looked like it was going to be one of those draws that should've been a win, but Zardes stayed alert after Miller saved his first attempt. Lucky bounce, but LAFC were lucky not to have been down before then. Would've been content with a draw but ecstatic to get the win.
    Pretty fantastic comeback in the final minutes, and good to see the Crew are sort of saving themselves by holding near the top of the table.

also lol @ "save the crew & their burgers"
    Thought we would be struggling more at this point in the season, but the team has been finding ways to grind out draws when they probably should've dropped points and then getting some wins in between. Kind of altering how I thought the story would go, but I'm not going to lose on purpose. ;)
    Scary thing about Crew Burgers is that there is some grain of truth to it. :fearful:
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    The team showed they have a real togetherness with the late comeback. Being 1-0 down with fifteen minutes left and then going on to win is a fantastic achievement especially away from home
    Team struggled a little in the first half on offense, but focused on better possession and being patient in the second half. LAFC made the mistake of playing too deep defensively and relying on counter attack after their lead. They could do nothing the second half but try to absorb the pressure. Late goal felt good and deserved.
    Finally a big win with a very late winner. Chester Lee finally is having the last laugh. Good to keep the core of the team together with these extensions. Shame on who is thinking that the trips to the strip clubs would influence the decisions.
    Those four plus Justin Meram are important right now for the offense, so good to get that out of the way. There are still quite a few players whose contracts run out at the end of the season, and with Anthony Precourt being a cheap ****, some decisions will have to be made. Is there any other way to influence decisions? :p
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    E918oL3.png

JQjd7sf.png
  • Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Nothing like good team bonding.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    All about team building.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nothing like good team bonding.
    All about team building.
    Just keeping it real. :D
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    QSJfIqR.png

Match Day Nineteen - Columbus Crew SC vs Real Salt Lake

4CYlElT.png

YzqjzvH.png

Team Stats:
    SmSlHuQ.png
    8Bx9onS.png

Standings:
    Fg0f0As.png

MbDo5YF.png

VEl5yBC.png

K4en1Aa.png
    Power Rankings are common on American sports sites since our leagues are split by conferences and often further subdivided into divisions. Because the schedules aren't the same for each conference, they are used to gauge teams against one another through the course of the season, although they have no relevance beyond entertainment value. They are typically subjective and based on an individual or small group of individuals interpretation of factors that affect each team. I include a match-based (as opposed to weekly) Power Rankings that's calculated using a point-accrual table in Excel.

More on Power Rankings:
    For those who might be interested, Power Rankings are calculated after each match result is entered into the spreadsheet. The table shown below adds and ranks points accrued for each team based on these factors:
    1. Total Team Count - Current Supporters Shield Rank
    2. Add Last four match results - Home (3 win, 1 draw, -1 loss), Away (4 win, 1.5 draw, 0 loss)
    3. WOLM (Weight of Last Match) - Calculated by adding .25 points for each game in hand, and then adding points using either a win lookup table (Team Count - Opponents Last Supporters Shield Rank), or a loss lookup table (Opponents Last Supporters Shield Rank). Depending on the result for the team, WOLM will either add a few points or subtract a few points based on the strength of the opponent heading into the match.

Win Point Scale
    5 - 90-100% of Team Count
    4 -75-89% of Team Count
    3 - 50-74% of Team Count
    2 - 25-49% of Team Count
    1 - 0-24% of Team Count

Loss Point Scale
    0 - 0 - 24% of Team Count
    -1 - 25-49% of Team Count
    -2 - 50-74% of Team Count
    -3 -75-89% of Team Count
    -4 - 90-100% of Team Count

The points are added and then ranked with the highest point total being ranked number 1.

ya5IFqz.png

• Stlducks
    1461 posts Professional
    Another good win, only one loss in the last 14 matches after a slow start.

I've never been a fan of power rankings in any sport. Maybe it's because ESPN ruined it for me years ago when they had big segments on them..