Why is the defence like this?

So I was on a great run in online seasons. Went from division 10 to 2 in 5 days of playing on my breaks(1-2 hours a day) I almost won all matches (been playing since 98 and I have always been known as a good player by my peers).

Then I started losing, lost 18 in a row, no matter what I did the tide was just against me(and I do appreciate a good loss, all my friends on ps network are those I lost to). I began to analyse the goals I conceded to come up with a plan, and a pattern emerged, seems like in every undeserved goal I concede there's a defender (most of the time one that I have not chosen to control, but it does happen under my control as well, by the player completely disobeying my commands)who pulls out of the way of the opposition attacker to let them pass and immediately starts to chase them from behind, putting themselves in a disadvantage on purpose. It happens at least twice a game and unless I come up with a miracle or my opponent manages to mess up an absolute gift, the resulting pass always leads to a goal! I myself have benefited from this in matches that I won undeservingly, but more often than not it's against me.

Why does this happen? Is there a way to stop it? Who in ea is responsible and how do we find and beat the living sh**t out of them?

PS. I have recorded videos of this but I'm new to the forum and don't know how to share them. Any help on that would also be deeply appreciated.

Comments

• silencer747
    178 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Yes something is definitely off with the defending, in all modes as far as I can see. In some parts they are way too overpowered and in others they just stand there hopping around like overpaid penguins doing nothing.
    Also a lot of tacle commands are being ignored.
    Overall I feel reading the game is not rewarding enough, often you read the play and stand in the exact right positions but balls will magically fly through legs and all sorts of bull*.

Plus what I noticed when being counter attacked fast it is VERY hard to switch to the CDM it simply won't let you most of the times.
    While when you take a similar formation with a CM in the same position mimicking a CDM with instructions, it will switch smoothly. Very strange, but should be easily replicable. May uncover more bugs in the defending.

But honestly overall I like the game and it's direction. The shooting, dribbling, passing it's all very smooth and right. It's just the defending that feels off it's so clunky and ugh. But not that the past years were any better at that...
  • I've only played 5 games of Head2Head Seasons & in my opinion Defending is even more AI Assisted than 18, And when I get in and round my opponents box his players will auto block so many of my shots it's not even him doing it.. I hope this gets toned down & I thought in the Demo the tackling system was much better than 18 but in 19 the ball feels so loose.. when I tackle my opponent CLEANLY the ball will sometimes bounce back or go out for a throw in.. the game feels very RNG seems off to me.

I don't want to judge the game totally yet as it's not even officially out yet but my feeling right now is they need to tone down AI Defending for a start and fix the bugs in the tackling system.. So much for 50-50 battles E.A?

Game is so random lol.
  • AFCA_P
    85 posts Park Captain
    I've only played 5 games of Head2Head Seasons & in my opinion Defending is even more AI Assisted than 18, And when I get in and round my opponents box his players will auto block so many of my shots it's not even him doing it.. I hope this gets toned down & I thought in the Demo the tackling system was much better than 18 but in 19 the ball feels so loose.. when I tackle my opponent CLEANLY the ball will sometimes bounce back or go out for a throw in.. the game feels very RNG seems off to me.

I don't want to judge the game totally yet as it's not even officially out yet but my feeling right now is they need to tone down AI Defending for a start and fix the bugs in the tackling system.. So much for 50-50 battles E.A?

Game is so random lol.

Only thing they seem to have changed defensive wise is that using R1/RB doesn’t make the CPU capture the ball for you. Instead he only jockeys in front of the player who is on the ball. I believe this is a good thing. The rest of the defending is as AI assisted as in 17 and 18. I doubt they will nerve the AI defending though looking at the way FIFA had developed over the years....
  • AFCA_P wrote: »
    I've only played 5 games of Head2Head Seasons & in my opinion Defending is even more AI Assisted than 18, And when I get in and round my opponents box his players will auto block so many of my shots it's not even him doing it.. I hope this gets toned down & I thought in the Demo the tackling system was much better than 18 but in 19 the ball feels so loose.. when I tackle my opponent CLEANLY the ball will sometimes bounce back or go out for a throw in.. the game feels very RNG seems off to me.

Game is so random lol.

Only thing they seem to have changed defensive wise is that using R1/RB doesn’t make the CPU capture the ball for you. Instead he only jockeys in front of the player who is on the ball. I believe this is a good thing. The rest of the defending is as AI assisted as in 17 and 18. I doubt they will nerve the AI defending though looking at the way FIFA had developed over the years....

Yep.. Ever since E.A Introduced AI Defending in 17 it's continued.. You're right.. I highly doubt E.A will tone it down with a patch but i'm only hoping because this condenses the skill-gap sadly.

Will just have to wait and see really.