Icon review & price discussion

Comments

• BrieMine
    5646 posts Big Money Move
    ha032742 wrote: »
    BrieMine wrote: »
    91 Cruyff review. Played 29 games 20 goals and 9 assists in weekend league at CF. Honestly not impressed as I hoped. He had his moments but most of the time he’d just get out muscled and fall over tbh. Messi>Cruyff this year especially fitness wise

Knew the hype was false :trollface:
    If you do constant skills he feels really smooth. But other then that he’s pretty weak and slow
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator
    91 Cruyff review. Played 29 games 20 goals and 9 assists in weekend league at CF. Honestly not impressed as I hoped. He had his moments but most of the time he’d just get out muscled and fall over tbh. Messi>Cruyff this year especially fitness wise

Knew the hype was false :trollface:
    If you do constant skills he feels really smooth. But other then that he’s pretty weak and slow

No icons have truly wowed me...not even 93/90 Gullit.

CR7 is carrying me though :+1:
  • Looking to buy a Icon CB, debating between Cannavaro, Baresim Campbell and Desailly. Any opinions?
  • DadBod
    6265 posts Big Money Move
    This year’s icons are underwhelming. No wow factor, no OP-ness.
  • Mc
    3897 posts National Call-Up
    DadBod wrote: »

Yeah I think i went tol Big on icons last year and I just can’t get excited about the same ones. The news ones are rather limited as well.
  • Mmandras
    1620 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    Hm, that is really disappointing to hear.

But I still have high hopes. I'd love to try new italians Zola, Baggio and Vieri.

Does anybody else feel like using last year icons would be underwhelming? I want to try the new ones.

Can't wait for te sbc's to kick in. What's the hold up?
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Equinox 85 wrote: »
    @DougInskip Prime MVB is a tank. Dribbling isn’t his strongest point however his aerial ability and his clinical finishing is what makes the card!

+1

Packed him and was going to sell to get Ronaldo but he's so good I can't do it. I play him in 4321 formation alongside 90 Henry and Bale
  • DadBod
    Mmandras wrote: »
    Hm, that is really disappointing to hear.

But I still have high hopes. I'd love to try new italians Zola, Baggio and Vieri.

Does anybody else feel like using last year icons would be underwhelming? I want to try the new ones.

Can't wait for te sbc's to kick in. What's the hold up?

I would also like to try new icons, maybe socrates. But last Fifa, even baby Shevchenko is a beast! This Fifa, all icons i faced are underwhelming.

I'm more impressed with Cr7 and Neymar. Those two are scaring the **** off me.
  • Zv1k0
    5758 posts Big Money Move
    Any prime Shearer reviews? Looks like a perfect card for current meta and very cheap.
  • xFATAL
    4033 posts National Call-Up

I agree, Huge fan of using icons but they just aren't worth the coin this year with the current gameplay. Better off just spending the coin on high rated golds.
  • Dasco
    6476 posts Big Money Move
    9fbe971c3b5e9064ea41cf534963a57b.png

I have to disagree with some of the above comments about the new icons. I'd say Aguero is the MVP in this team, and that's from LCAM in a 4231, however Prime Ballack is a close 2nd. I'm shocked he was only 1.5M at the time of purchasing, when someone like Gullit is twice the price. Personally feel he's going to be meta once people have tried him.

89 Cruyff isn't too bad, although I think I've messed up his tactics as he's always the first one to run out of gas (CCAM 4231). TH is really good at striker, good height, 4*/4* and is reliable for a goal or two in weekend league. Also nice to have for long goalkicks, as winning the header plays nicely into Aguero or Figo.

Figo is sort of wasted out wide on the right hand side and would probably be better on the left, but I just love Kun too much to switch them round. Is more effective once I move him into the CCAM later on during the game.

I've also used 90 Crespo, 88 Rio, 90 Veron & 89 Socrates so far. Crespo is definitely a good option for this year ( and was last year), although I find TH to be better.

At the time of buying, Prime Veron was like 750k. I don't know his price now, but he's very well rounded for those looking for an icon mid. No complaints from me.

Socrates was very inconsistent for me. He's massive and 5* weakfoot, but it's weird that I found him clunky compared to say Ballack when statisically that shouldn't be the case.

Really didn't like Rio and find my current defensive set-up to be infinitely better.
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator
    Dasco wrote: »

I have to disagree with some of the above comments about the new icons. I'd say Aguero is the MVP in this team, and that's from LCAM in a 4231, however Prime Ballack is a close 2nd. I'm shocked he was only 1.5M at the time of purchasing, when someone like Gullit is twice the price. Personally feel he's going to be meta once people have tried him.

89 Cruyff isn't too bad, although I think I've messed up his tactics as he's always the first one to run out of gas (CCAM 4231). TH is really good at striker, good height, 4*/4* and is reliable for a goal or two in weekend league. Also nice to have for long goalkicks, as winning the header plays nicely into Aguero or Figo.

Figo is sort of wasted out wide on the right hand side and would probably be better on the left, but I just love Kun too much to switch them round. Is more effective once I move him into the CCAM later on during the game.

I've also used 90 Crespo, 88 Rio, 90 Veron & 89 Socrates so far. Crespo is definitely a good option for this year ( and was last year), although I find TH to be better.

At the time of buying, Prime Veron was like 750k. I don't know his price now, but he's very well rounded for those looking for an icon mid. No complaints from me.

Socrates was very inconsistent for me. He's massive and 5* weakfoot, but it's weird that I found him clunky compared to say Ballack when statisically that shouldn't be the case.

Really didn't like Rio and find my current defensive set-up to be infinitely better.

So you agree with me then :sweat_smile: :smirk:
  • Dasco

Pretty much this for the 89 as well.
  • Dasco

Ballack is actually really good though. :) He's probably a bit wasted in the 4231 though as a CDM, although I have him set to join attacks and Goreztka to stay back. Actually got the 2nd highest assist count in the team at the moment!
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018

Ballack is actually really good though. :) He's probably a bit wasted in the 4231 though as a CDM, although I have him set to join attacks and Goreztka to stay back. Actually got the 2nd highest assist count in the team at the moment!

No I meant that icons are good but not at the level of last year compared to the top NIFs. I’ve used virtually every top card this year except Pele, Dinho and R9 and none have stood out head and shoulders above Neymar, Pogba etc. Of course if you need chem then an icon is a no brainer but if EA got rid of chem, I think I wouldn’t use any icon this year potentially.
  • DadBod

Yeah he agreed with you and posted an essay.
  • DadBod

No I meant that icons are good but not at the level of last year compared to the top NIFs. I’ve used virtually every top card this year except Pele, Dinho and R9 and none have stood out head and shoulders above Neymar, Pogba etc. Of course if you need chem then an icon is a no brainer but if EA got rid of chem, I think I wouldn’t use any icon this year potentially.

100% this.

I used loads of icons last fifa because they’re the definition of OVERPOWERED. But this fifa, prime lineker is useless. Whenever i see his face in loading screen, i know i am on a treat.
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator
    I mean I like a lot of icons like Veron, Crespo, Matthaus but value for coins etc. they’re poor this year.
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    6318 posts Big Money Move
    Crespo is out of this world for me tbh.. 78 games 73 goals 26 assists, hes the only one thats been in every team i've made so far and i've made alot

Even tried R94 and he was pretty meh, felt good on the ball but nothing special
  • Zv1k0
    5758 posts Big Money Move
    Crespo is out of this world for me tbh.. 78 games 73 goals 26 assists, hes the only one thats been in every team i've made so far and i've made alot

Prime Crespo?
  • Dasco

Sonaldo would say otherwise :)

I'm not sure to be honest. I think with the way defensive rebounds work is pretty offputting for me to buy icon defenders, as I know Rio was good last year and used his Prime for the rest of the year once he was available. Height, workrates (M/H) and high defensive stats is what I'm looking for, and on regard, the NIFs/CL cards are currently sufficient.

Forwards you've obviously got CR7. Below him, Lewandowski is another amazing striker who fits the meta incredibly well. For me, Crespo & TH are somewhere inbetween CR7 & Lewandowski in both value and effectiveness in-game.

In midfield though is where I'm finding icons make the difference. Can take Vieira, Gullit & Ballack, who is the NIF who comes closest to any of those 3? I'd guess Pogba, but even he's 400k and he's also H/L workrates which is a shame. Below Pogba, probably honestly talking Kondogbia, Wass, Delaney, Allan, Fred, Dembele & Kante. I've seen a lot of people use Kante and they struggle to dispossess strikers like Henry & Crespo.

If the meta doesn't change too much in the upcoming months, I could definitely see Ballacks, Gerrards, Campbells, Figo and Bests in competitive teams for the new icons. Maybe the odd Veron & Stoichkov too.

• Dasco

100% this.

I used loads of icons last fifa because they’re the definition of OVERPOWERED. But this fifa, prime lineker is useless. Whenever i see his face in loading screen, i know i am on a treat.

There was plenty of useless prime icons last year too, and others that were only marginally better than their middle versions.
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator

I'm not sure to be honest. I think with the way defensive rebounds work is pretty offputting for me to buy icon defenders, as I know Rio was good last year and used his Prime for the rest of the year once he was available. Height, workrates (M/H) and high defensive stats is what I'm looking for, and on regard, the NIFs/CL cards are currently sufficient.

Forwards you've obviously got CR7. Below him, Lewandowski is another amazing striker who fits the meta incredibly well. For me, Crespo & TH are somewhere inbetween CR7 & Lewandowski in both value and effectiveness in-game.

In midfield though is where I'm finding icons make the difference. Can take Vieira, Gullit & Ballack, who is the NIF who comes closest to any of those 3? I'd guess Pogba, but even he's 400k and he's also H/L workrates which is a shame. Below Pogba, probably honestly talking Kondogbia, Wass, Delaney, Allan, Fred, Dembele & Kante. I've seen a lot of people use Kante and they struggle to dispossess strikers like Henry & Crespo.

If the meta doesn't change too much in the upcoming months, I could definitely see Ballacks, Gerrards, Campbells, Figo and Bests in competitive teams for the new icons. Maybe the odd Veron & Stoichkov too.

Nah it’ll be Vieira, Gullit as usual with maybe the odd Ballack and Best on the wing, well until TOTY Mbappe :cold_sweat: . The thing with two mids is that there’s no one their size except Pogba, which is why I bought Gullit when he was cheap but is he “worth” the 3.1m I sold him for...I’m not so sure.
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    6318 posts Big Money Move
    Zv1k0 wrote: »

Prime Crespo?

Yeah the prime, got him for like 1.1mil a while back and probably won't sell him for a long time
  • Dasco
    edited October 2018

Nah it’ll be Vieira, Gullit as usual with maybe the odd Ballack and Best on the wing, well until TOTY Mbappe :cold_sweat: . The thing with two mids is that there’s no one their size except Pogba, which is why I bought Gullit when he was cheap but is he “worth” the 3.1m I sold him for...I’m not so sure.

I'd agree with that. What does Prime Vieira actually sell for? I presume it's more than the 1.6-1.8M I've seen Prime Ballack sell recently? Could probably argue though with pace not being as effective you're better off with 86 Ballack at 700k.

I think back to last year, I think Petit's 88 was around 700-800k at this point. Prime Veron for a smidgeon more seems good value to me. I'd buy him for Goreztka if I had the spare coins, but I got into the CL packs too much. :lol:

Is best better than Figo then? Not used Best yet.
  • ha032742
    34780 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018

I'd agree with that. What does Prime Vieira actually sell for? I presume it's more than the 1.6-1.8M I've seen Prime Ballack sell recently? Could probably argue though with pace not being as effective you're better off with 86 Ballack at 700k.

I think back to last year, I think Petit's 88 was around 700-800k at this point. Prime Veron for a smidgeon more seems good value to me. I'd buy him for Goreztka if I had the spare coins, but I got into the CL packs too much. :lol:

You buy Vieira for the extra few inches of leg length and the strong links to Mbappe, Pogba etc. though :p

Prim Vieira was going for 2m but in past 24 hours people keep relisting for 2.5m unsuccessfully.
  • Drizzt
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    When building your team's and going for an icon, what position do you like to build a team around?

I'm wanting to start again with my team and selling my Socrates to try a new icon. I've 1.5mil to spend and I'm torn between building a team around Rivaldo, Figo or Best.

I'm learning towards 90 Best and playing him as my main striker on 7 chem, but I've always loved Rivaldo but I'm hearing his 92 is meh?

Maybe buy 3 baby icons and build a spine or is 1 top icon better than 3?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍🏽

Cheers all.
  • Alexrb89
    3421 posts National Call-Up
    Drizzt wrote: »
    When building your team's and going for an icon, what position do you like to build a team around?

I'm wanting to start again with my team and selling my Socrates to try a new icon. I've 1.5mil to spend and I'm torn between building a team around Rivaldo, Figo or Best.

I'm learning towards 90 Best and playing him as my main striker on 7 chem, but I've always loved Rivaldo but I'm hearing his 92 is meh?

Cheers all.

Would you recommend building around socrates? I’m thinking the 89 version in a false 9?
  • tetsu0jin
    1863 posts Fans' Favourite
    Guys anyone tried 88 figo? Wanna see if he is worth as a CF in a 4411...
  • Drizzt
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alexrb89 wrote: »
    Drizzt wrote: »

Cheers all.

Would you recommend building around socrates? I’m thinking the 89 version in a false 9?

I love him and will be buying him back again(and again) 😉.

My problem is I suffer from iconoritus and I'm constantly looking to find that fun icon and it's costs me an arm and a leg as I tend to buy high sell low 😥.

He doesn't have to be game changing but obviously that helps, but I just want that fun factor as winning isn't everything for me.

Socrates so far his 89 gets 10 outta 10 and his 87 9.5 outta 10.

On a side note and tin foil hat time, but why do players play amazing for 10-15 games and then become ok? Do EA deliberately make your top players play worse with diminishing returns to get you to buy more players???? 😂🤣😉