FC Barcelona - The New Era

Lyktan
146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
edited October 2018
gAUUbgL.png

Okay. The news were finally official after months of speculating and thoughts from experts and everyone across the globe. FC Barcelona had made very few statements to the press about the incidents and the news were literally just speculation almost everytime.

And yes, incidents. If you're not caught up in the recent events, let me fill you in on the blanks. I'm sure you know FC Barcelona wouldn't get relegated from La Liga any time soon just due to poor results. They didn't this time either. Barcelona won their first title under Valverde just a few months ago but as of today that title has now been reducted from their records. But why, I'm sure you ask. Well, let me tell you.

Just like the scandal back in 2006 in Serie A ("Calciopoli") FC Barcelona were suspected of having bought the referee on numerous occassions. But not only that, they were also suspected of match fixing after scoring several sloppy last second goals in the previous season. This all happened in the 2017/2018 season and as of today the decision finally came to the public and everyone who doubted that anything would happen were wrong. Valverde was fired, the whole board was fired, but most shockingly and what will be the biggest difference in the upcoming season: FC Barcelona were degraded to Segunda Division.

The media is having to work hard to keep up with all the quotes from players, staff and everyone around it. Valverde weren't one of the people pulling the strings but still knew about the incidents, something he admitted in court. The players "probably knew about it" the experts say, but that couldn't be proven.

FC Barcelona have released an official statement on their website, here's parts of the texts that you'll need to know:
  • A new manager will be looked into shortly along with a new board
  • FC Barcelona are not allowed to buy any players in the transfer market the following two seasons. Loans are permitted.
  • Any player that recieves an offer from another club will have the offer accepted. It's up to the player if he wants to stay.
  • The AI difficulty will be Ultimate and every game will be played. No games are simulated unless stated.
  • The first ten home-games will be played at Arena D'Oro.
  • All players will be put on the transfer market.

The following week will provide news about the current situation and as soon as FIFA 19 is released on PS4 the story will begin for real. Enjoy!
Post edited by Lyktan on

Comments

• Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    Very unique and interesting twist. I knew Barcelona were cheaters! Messi is going to have 100 goals if he sticks around in the lower league.
  • Lyktan
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Very unique and interesting twist. I knew Barcelona were cheaters! Messi is going to have 100 goals if he sticks around in the lower league.

I quite like them but it’s going to be good fun. Hope Messi leaves but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is staying.
  • Ashy
    9196 posts League Winner
    Very interesting concept I like it, I remember when it happened at Juventus not too long ago, now the climb back to the top will be the challenge, players I'd like to see leave are;

Messi, Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal, ter Stegen, Lenglet, Paco Alcácer, Rafinha, Vermaelen, Cillessen, Nélson Semedo

Players I'd like to see remain;
    Coutinho, Dembele, Malcom, Alba, Busquets, Pique, Sergi Roberto, Arthur, Munir, Denis Suárez

But let's see what happens, good luck!
  • Lyktan
    Ashy wrote: »
    Very interesting concept I like it, I remember when it happened at Juventus not too long ago, now the climb back to the top will be the challenge, players I'd like to see leave are;

Messi, Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal, ter Stegen, Lenglet, Paco Alcácer, Rafinha, Vermaelen, Cillessen, Nélson Semedo

Players I'd like to see remain;
    Coutinho, Dembele, Malcom, Alba, Busquets, Pique, Sergi Roberto, Arthur, Munir, Denis Suárez

But let's see what happens, good luck!

Malcom is staying 100% the first half of the season since he can’t be sold due to him just arriving. I agree with Pique and Busquets definitely.
  • Wyojasond
    10714 posts Has That Special Something
    Fun concept! Will be interesting to see who leaves. Your bankroll is going to be massive :D
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Hey hey... let's start to clarify things. If there's an eternal cheater, that can only be Real Madrid (last UCL last and 13rd example of it).

Secondly, it is a fun concept and I wish you all the luck, as you can guess.

VISCA EL BARÇA I VISCA CATALUNYA!!!

I hope that home players stay, that is, Alba, Piqué, Sergi Roberto, Busi, Rafinha, Denis Suárez and, of course, Leo God Messi.

WTF!! :s

Want war? :p

• Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Hey hey... let's start to clarify things. If there's an eternal cheater, that can only be Real Madrid (last UCL last and 13rd example of it).

I hope that home players stay, that is, Alba, Piqué, Sergi Roberto, Busi, Rafinha, Denis Suárez and, of course, Leo God Messi.

Poch says we hate Barcelona so I hate Barcelona. 😂
  • subpop
    subpop wrote: »

Poch says we hate Barcelona so I hate Barcelona. 😂

I knew it... Willing to see him back "at home". B)
  • Lyktan
    Just wanted to let everyone knows the story will start as soon as I find a store that sells FIFA 19 in London o:)
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    Looking forward to this story very intrigued to see who will leave the club as a lot of the players in the team are from the academy and Barcelona is ingrained in them
  • Azzabazza
    238 posts Sunday League Hero
    Interesting concept. I'm a massive Barca fan, so this story is very interestng, Hope you'll be able to beat Real Madrid, and win major trophies! Good luck!
  • Lyktan
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Looking forward to this story very intrigued to see who will leave the club as a lot of the players in the team are from the academy and Barcelona is ingrained in them

Exactly. I kinda want Messi to leave but at the same time I don’t. Considering he is what he is thanks to Barca I wouldn’t find it weird if he stayed.

• Lyktan
    Azzabazza wrote: »
    Interesting concept. I'm a massive Barca fan, so this story is very interestng, Hope you'll be able to beat Real Madrid, and win major trophies! Good luck!

I’ll do my best! ;)
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Great idea! With all the players on the transfer market it will be interesting whether other big clubs will use the chance. Maybe they can make a bargain here. Willing to follow!
  • Lyktan
    unaHv64.jpg

Anyone who would call themselves a football fan were all well invested in the dramatic Barcelona saga at this point. Every single step everyone in the club took were documented, or so it felt. The new manager that would take Valverdes place was rumored to be literally every manager in existence, probably. Jurgen Klopp was one of the most exciting ones according to multiple sources although himself denying it, there were talks about Wenger but nothing that would seem to be true in any shape or form. The choice came on the not very known manager "Lyktan" from Sweden. Having won the Championship with Cardiff a few years ago and led Djurgårdens IF to victory in the Swedish top flight he was a man with experience but not the one you'd expect to try and save the sinking ship.

The press conference came to be one of the most interesting ones in recent times. It wasn't about which big signing he'd bring in or what he thought of their chances of winning the Champions League were. "How are you attempting to save this club?". It was quite a difference.

Lyktan were extremely cacious with every answer, but oh so honest. When asked about which players would be leaving he said that "Some players have made it clear that they want to leave and in times like this you got to respect it. We have to think about the economy. Without Liga Santander, Champions League and the likes we simply must be more strict with that we do with the money that we have. Did he mention any names? No, of course not. Anyone knowing about Lyktan from before is fully aware of him never really giving names when asked.

"How are you going to approach the transfer window the following two years? That's four windows that you can only sell in and only bring in people on loan" was asked by a younger journalist who managed to overvoice everyone else in the very crowded room.

"You quite said it yourself. I have great contacts all over Europe and I know what kind of players that we could use for the following seasons. I believe in everything I do and everyone that comes in have been scrutinized to make sure they're a good fit.".

My guess would be that the Barcelona fans probably felt a bit better after the press conference. Or as good as it gets knowing that players like Messi, Coutinho, Busquets and Pique could be long gone in a few days.
  • Ashy
    9196 posts League Winner
    Good start with that update, interesting to hear you have good contacts around Europe, might help you convince some big talents to come in the future once the ban is over. Hopefully you don't lose too many big stars but we will see
  • Lyktan
    I had to manually transfer the big players because I got literally zero offers on them. Bit of a shame, but money isn't needed anyway.
    VsDO4nC.png

Messi had been open in the press conference that he wasn't sure on what to do. "Barcelona is the reason for my success but I would lie if I said that I want to spend my last years in the second division. I believe we will get promoted again, but it would be a shame to end it like this. I don't know as of now".

No one could blame him. Shorty after that quote the talks between PSG and Barcelona intensified and "Barca" wasn't going to be in the way for what Messi wanted. Neymar and Messi were back together and the attacking force of Cavani, Mbappe, Neymar and Messi were talked about being the best ever.

Was that all?

No.

If you were a Barcelona fan who went to work without following the news the following day and opened up Sky Sports you wouldn't like what you saw. The first page confirmed SIX transfers as if losing Messi wasn't bad enough.
    3oW7PNL.png

But Barcelona had to switch focus as much as they could, their first game of the season was coming up against CF Reus.
  • Lyktan
    Piw23HC.png

"Go on guys. I know this is very hard for you, I know many of you think of this as probably one of the worst years in your career. I get that. But we can't dwell on it more than we have. It's time to show everyone that we belong in the first league, and by getting there we win. We are the best team in the world, we know that. Yes, many players have left. See this as your chance to make a statement."

The guys did that. But I could see them being nervous as the game started and it didn't ease off after Vidals beautiful goal in the tenth minute. They were scared, they were scrutinized and they were in the worst side Barcelona has had in maybe forever.

Munir scored an absolute beauty but not very long after that Ter Stegen hesitated on a cross and they were only one behind.

"Defense, defense, defense! Focus the last fifteen!" I shouted from the sides. It wasn't beautiful, and it was close that they equalised with a few minutes to go. I'm very happy we won the first game, maybe this will make things easier.
  • Wyojasond
    10714 posts Has That Special Something
    Yayyy, Suárez back to Liverpool! :D shame you didn’t receive any real offers for your players but seems like you made it work. PSG is STACKED now. Good god.
  • JoshDFC
    2006 posts Fans' Favourite
    PSG look very strong now. Who still remains at Barca out of the current players?
  • Lyktan
    G7Mj0ty.png

It was probably one of the most frustrating games I've managed in my career. As the team sat down after the game I looked at all of them without saying a word for a while. I admire them all, they're still here. Most of the regulars weren't.

"Guys. Just don't let it get to you. These are the games we will learn from. Lets bounce back from this quickly".

I sat down at the press conference just wanting it to be over as soon as possible. I got asked about the game and I said the same thing. We weren't really mentally ready for an attacking team. Someone asked me about which players I'd take in on loan. I made a mistake earlier mentioning I have great contact with people in the business. The players I had in mind were not willing to go on loan as their contracts were about to expire and I stood there empty handed.

And before the deadline day was over, my most boring one, Sergi Samper packed his bags and went to FC Köln. He wouldn't be missed, but we were seriously low on players now. If we get injuries in the season, our midfield could consist of youth players.
  • Lyktan
    Yayyy, Suárez back to Liverpool! :D shame you didn’t receive any real offers for your players but seems like you made it work. PSG is STACKED now. Good god.

Yeah, it was frustrating. Yeah, PSG should win everything there is but knowing FIFA they'll probably start with Di Maria somehow and leave one of the stars on the bench.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    PSG look very strong now. Who still remains at Barca out of the current players?

I'll make a full list tomorrow but big names are Ter Stegen, Umtiti, Sergi Roberto, Rakitic, Malcom and probably a few others.

• Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    I like the first person perspective you are using. Especially admitting the mistake of talking about transfers but ending empty handed.

The loss stings but some losses are expected this season given the circumstances.
  • Lyktan
    82U67bs.png

I was fuming as I read SkySports angle on the issue. For you thinking it's clickbait, it's not. Maybe a little, but we are in danger of having to leave a walk over in the third game. Why, you may ask? Because someone else screwed up.

Unlike many other teams in the Segunda Division I have players that represent the national team. I have seven players that gets the honor to represent their country, arguably one of the finest things in football. As they are on all different locations a game gets rescheduled only a day before leaving me with a starting eleven without any substitutes? And I get the blame for being "irresponsible" in media? Impressive.

I tried not to bother too much but I called the board asking what we should do. The game was in a few hours and we had nothing to do except calling up players from the youth academy. I went to their training session and had to quickly get them to focus on TODAYS game. Nevermind the fact we've never met or that they've never played at that level, today was that day. A great moment to impress me but not a very sophisticated way.

"Belcour, Wague, Charpentier, Morales, Moyano, Benitez and Peréz. You may have read about the issue in the first team"

"Yeah. Or I mean, I have" Peréz said, and it seemed like he quite knew what it was leading to.

"You're all going to have to ditch whatever you're doing to join the first team. We will have to promote you to the senior team and we need to do it now. Asap. Pronto".

And that was it. Sorted. But stupid. I fully expect a great apologize from whoever's responsible for it but I know I wont. It was time to start focusing on todays game, a game that I even forgot from time to time, even though it was the reason for the stress. Almeria was up next at home.

"I know today's game is weird. We barely know each other here. Our back four is inexperienced but guys, I know that you're fully capable of it. Go on and show me why this game isn't a one time only thing".
    PDv8442.png

Wasn't pretty but it was deserved. Almeria took the lead and it seemed like it was going to be an ugly story after that. The way they could cross it and head it in with no real threat didn't really make us excited for what was coming next. But we grew after that and they didn't really have any more chances. Youngster Ezkieta had an absolute terrific performance in goal. Semedo had an ugly knock after the first half but pulled through. Rakitic was man of the match and bossed the midfield even though he almost couldn't walk after the game.

"What a result guys. Everyone of you should be proud. We fought till the very end. That's what you get for fighting. You all were great out there.".

We had a game only a few days later against Malaga. Another side that had dropped a lot from where they used to be. They obviously on different terms though, and now we had our strong side back from the international break.
    BgRbWbJ.png

Munir had an absolute wonderful game and ended the game with a fantastic weak shot from the edge of the box in the bottom corner. "I deserve it. People doubted me last year, well, there you go. Just because I wasn't setting the league on fire I was doubted but now I've adapted and I'm doing very well. I hope people can see that now".

I just laughed as I listened to his interview. Kid was good. But he answered that weirdly.
    Seems like the game doesn't care about you in the second division. Lucky I had a youth academy to recruit from, but come on.
  • subpop
    Well... not a bad start considering the circumstances. What a sad dystopia... it hurts my eyes .
  • Stlducks
    1392 posts Professional
    Making the best out of a bad situation. Two good results in a row, especially winning with a youth bench. Looks like Munir has a little chip on his shoulder..
  • Danimal5981
    2128 posts Fans' Favourite
    What a football-horror scenario. Being the second home of Johan Cruijff and having very close ties to Ajax, it hurts to see Barça in this fictional mess. I hope you'll be able to restore the might of what is more than a club
  • Lyktan
    IsR8RRz.png

We finally had some momentum going but it all crashed down. In a game where we should've won with maybe 3-4 goals we leave empty handed. We simply could not convert our chances. Rakitic was extremely dissatisfied with his own performance and his missed penalty but tried his best to encourage the team to keep going as it was only a few more days until our first cup game in Copa de Espana.

I talked with the medical team as Munir had gotten a knock during the game and they came with even worse news. He would be out for three weeks, something we simply could not afford but now had to deal with.

A few days later

"Okay guys. It's time in two days. Copa de Espana is our only shot an an actual trophy this year if you don't count promotion so let's get it. I know you want it as much as I do. You may not know Cádiz very well but they're talented and they're quick. I want you all to focus on this, let's go!".

I had to leave quite early from that days practice as we had another press conference to deal with. Real Federación Española de Fútbol had made another mistake that we had to pay for. The games were rescheduled yet again and now we had two games in one day. They were quoted being "very sorry for that" and "that it's unacceptable" but offered no change in the schedule. We now had a game against Cádiz in the afternoon and a game against Elche in the evening.

MATCHDAY

It wasn't what Barcelona fans expected as they went to see the first team play football in the cup for the first leg. We were expected to win everything but no one believed we could. But it was time to prove them wrong.

pyWRsxY.png

I couldn't believe it. We were knocked out against a team with one shot on goal. Ter Stegen couldn't do much about it but we could've done so much about the chances we had. We deserved to go through, and also deserved to lose. Funny enough our team talk wasn't more than saying "That was horrible, but we don't have time to dwell because we have another game in 8 hours". Most of the team playing weren't going to play in the game against Elche but in case of injuries it might be needed.

86vp3Nr.png

• subpop
    I'm bleeding watching this... :(

In any case, even selling the top players, we should be dominating the Segunda División easily... but this is a horror.

What's going on?
  • Lyktan
    CEkkA6f.png

It's been a really rough month. I've had better days, weeks and months in my life. Players set to leave in January wasn't my biggest issue as of now because I'm not entirely sure I'll be around by then even if I hope so. It's really needed that we turn things around.

*knock knock*

My assistant manager Jorque walked in my office. He wasn't much of a guy who would just drop in and say hi, so something was up.

"We could recall the players on loan. It's going to be expensive, but probably worth it".

I hadn't thought about that. Players like Arda Turan weren't very popular amongst the fans but I'm sure they appreciate winning more than individual characters. Paulinho would come back from China and we'd finally have a striker in Alcacer as Munir was out injured.

We had to sort that out before our next game and they'd be coming back for the game after that. A great addition to the squad and it was very appreciated by the fans as the news became official.
    zbbZyHa.png