Icon fetish?

Brosing
287 posts Sunday League Hero
What's up with this obsession for all the Icons? Obviously, If I'd ever pack one I would be very happy, but people are literary dreaming about these cards and saying that Icons are the only reason they play the game???
Don't get me wrong, I love some of the old players who performed god-like things during their careers, but Icons in-game isn't really what I desire the most, nor the one thing that keeps me playing. XD

Comments

• BlitzersNL
    24199 posts Club Captain
    Icons were boring for me after a while. Can't imagine playing with the same ones all the time and I think Bergkamp was the best player I had.
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's really not that complicated, nostalgia is a very very very very powerful feeling.
  • deang07
    8093 posts League Winner
    im not as obssesed wiv icons as i am to having diff types of slecial cards in my team.
  • Brosing
    Worble wrote: »
    It's really not that complicated, nostalgia is a very very very very powerful feeling.

Yeah I get why people enjoy them, also that they over-perform in-game. However, it feels like that is the only thing people care about when it comes to players haha.
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    Brosing wrote: »

Yeah I get why people enjoy them, also that they over-perform in-game. However, it feels like that is the only thing people care about when it comes to players haha.

As I said, it's just the nostalgia. Some people buy games *just* for the nostalgia factor. I have a PS2 setup just to play LMA Manager 2004 for the nostalgia. So I imagine a lot of players buy the game just to be able to feel like a kid again with all their old favorites back.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Can I ask how old are you?

I'm 48 and to me its playing with players I grew up watching and loving and this is the lure for some.

You've kinda answered your own question which I don't mean to be blunt, is a silly one. Icons are not what you desire nor what keeps you playing just like players from Italian league or MLS or not what I desire.

I'm glad we all have our own likes or desires.
  • Rajivvv86
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero

No, it is also easy to link them to players from obscure leagues when chemistry is a factor.
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Can I ask how old are you?

I'm 48 and to me its playing with players I grew up watching and loving and this is the lure for some.

You've kinda answered your own question which I don't mean to be blunt, is a silly one. Icons are not what you desire nor what keeps you playing just like players from Italian league or MLS or not what I desire.

I'm glad we all have our own likes or desires.

This ^. Was also curious of your age since I figured it would be a late 20 something plus thing. For me, I grew up watching Henry and Arsenal so the Arsenal 2000s icons are a huge draw for me.
  • Drizzt

As I said, it's just the nostalgia. Some people buy games *just* for the nostalgia factor. I have a PS2 setup just to play LMA Manager 2004 for the nostalgia. So I imagine a lot of players buy the game just to be able to feel like a kid again with all their old favorites back.

Just got an email from PS4 talking about the PS1 being released at £90 in December.

Nostalgia.
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    Drizzt wrote: »

Just got an email from PS4 talking about the PS1 being released at £90 in December.

Nostalgia.

I know! I just saw it this morning. Really cool.
  • klaas9
    898 posts Professional
    Up until tots icons are best players in the house, its that simple.
  • Hicksy2011
    12906 posts Has That Special Something
    I didn’t really get it until last year when a) icons were my best players and b) after ToTS I could use lol my favourite players in a team together on full chem because I had icons between them even though they didn’t link
  • GrimboSlice
    243 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited September 2018
    Icons need eradicating, At the VERY LEAST, out of competive modes.

But EA like taking the players that made them what and who they are today for complete mugs.

#U18MicroTransactionBanWORLDWIDE

The winner at main events for each of the last 7YEARS+ has been someone who has YouTube videos of spending £5000 on Day1!! Gorrilla etc, easily Researchable

Do your research deep into EA, and cancel your pre-order....trust me you thought 16, 17+18 we're bad....... FIFA 19 is 16, 17+18 all rolled into one nasty mudda trucka you don't want to take the panties off.

Keep hearing the demo's good, the demo's good,

The demo has been good each and every single year for the last 20YEARS!!!

Online play in 19 is going to be filth :triumph:
  • mufcscott__
    509 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I just love using icons that I used on FIFA 08/09 etc like Ronaldinho.. Ronaldo and how I’m looking forward to using Gerrard and Lampard once again :)
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    I just love using icons that I used on FIFA 08/09 etc like Ronaldinho.. Ronaldo and how I’m looking forward to using Gerrard and Lampard once again :)

It is tradition now that I mute the soundtrack and boot up Spotify to put on a megamix of previous Fifa soundtracks. Nostalgia!
  • Drizzt
    Icons need eradicating, At the VERY LEAST, out of competive modes.

But EA like taking the players that made them what and who they are today for complete mugs.

#U18MicroTransactionBanWORLDWIDE

#Ionlywantfifatobewhatiwant
  • Alemas_2012
    15231 posts World Class

Especially when you have Nedved, Trezeguet, and Del Piero all available. :tongue:
  • mufcscott__

It is tradition now that I mute the soundtrack and boot up Spotify to put on a megamix of previous Fifa soundtracks. Nostalgia!
    Not gonna lie, I’ve actually thought about doing this countless times, might actually do it this year! :#
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero

Not gonna lie, I’ve actually thought about doing this countless times, might actually do it this year! :#

Way way more enjoyable. You'll never go back.
  • Brosing
    Haha I'm just amazed over this really. I'm in my middle 20's and have not really been raised with all these icons. I know many of them, but do not have many in my personal locker. It's fun to see how big of an impact they actually have, which I did not anticipate!
  • Drizzt
    Haha I'm just amazed over this really. I'm in my middle 20's and have not really been raised with all these icons. I know many of them, but do not have many in my personal locker. It's fun to see how big of an impact they actually have, which I did not anticipate!

You missed out when icons (Legends) on the Xbox, were truly amazing and that was FIFA 14.

They had that sparkle, that something special. A little flick or an animation no others had.

Since then, only the elite icons have that certain something and they were definitely toned down since then :(
  • mufcscott__

Gotta include Imagine Dragons - Top of the world and Flo Rida - Let it roll though! 😁
  • Worble
    1841 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018

Gotta include Imagine Dragons - Top of the world and Flo Rida - Let it roll though! 😁

That Imagine Dragons song always makes me feel better. I was with Fifa since the beginning so **** it Out by the Caesars is the one.

edit: Wow, it actually censored the word j3rk
  • Tubpac
    1649 posts Play-Off Hero
    Of course you'll see me rolling with Lamps and 10 sticks in the first WL. #LAMPS! <3
  • mufcscott__

That Imagine Dragons song always makes me feel better. I was with Fifa since the beginning so **** it Out by the Caesars is the one.

edit: Wow, it actually censored the word j3rk
    FIFA 14 had a lot of great songs and there was that one song in FIFA 09 of 10 “I’ve got the sun in my pocket and the moon in my hands” lol
  • CharlieC
    6239 posts Big Money Move
    I had loads of icons early in 18 but then started trading them in for good IF's or special cards of players that I enjoyed using like Aguero/Griezmann etc. I am going to go for Socrates this year though and potentially George Best if I can get enough coins.

The way ELO works is that you'll be matched up with people of similar skill rating anyway, so potentially shouldn't matter too much what team you're playing with. What I mean by that is that if you get to a certain skill level with a normal team and someone else gets to that rating with a god squad, you should still be fairly even on the pitch.