Too many icons?

FinEverton
605 posts An Exciting Prospect
At this rate here will be 400+ icons in fifa 20 and 800+ icons in fifa 21 and so on.... then you can make your starter team with icons. Dont know is it good or bad thing?

Comments

• Moose Factory
    3311 posts National Call-Up
    Not enough icons if you ask me. No Totti... no... you know how it goes.
  • MikeyP_FC
    12850 posts Has That Special Something
    BAN
  • Not necessarily to many icons, just too many versions of those icons, primes middles and base versions for 74 icons... That's 222 icon cards in the game. I would rather sacrifice the three version method for one version each and adding more individuals, as well as icon for other nations with significance for their national teams and club careers i.e. totti, Donovan, zidane, etc...
  • boomtw3
    350 posts Sunday League Hero
    Not necessarily to many icons, just too many versions of those icons, primes middles and base versions for 74 icons... That's 222 icon cards in the game. I would rather sacrifice the three version method for one version each and adding more individuals, as well as icon for other nations with significance for their national teams and club careers i.e. totti, Donovan, zidane, etc...

No. Every year we should get like 50 icons that's it. 3 version is fine. They should be keep rotating, we shouldn't have Pele,Maradona,R9 every year.
  • Thamightyboro
    7056 posts Big Money Move
    Not necessarily to many icons, just too many versions of those icons, primes middles and base versions for 74 icons... That's 222 icon cards in the game. I would rather sacrifice the three version method for one version each and adding more individuals, as well as icon for other nations with significance for their national teams and club careers i.e. totti, Donovan, zidane, etc...

Agree the 3 versions is stupid imo but it's a guaranteed coin/money sink for ea with sbc primes so won't be going anywhere.

I'd rather 150 unique than the present system.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2983 posts National Call-Up
    Way too many this year... last year it wasn't difficult to have a full icon team by March. It's going to be a lot easier this year with the expanded set of them.
  • MikeyP_FC
    12850 posts Has That Special Something
    D3ATHSQUAD wrote: »
    Way too many this year... last year it wasn't difficult to have a full icon team by March. It's going to be a lot easier this year with the expanded set of them.

So? Much prefer playing against a full icon squad than PL sweat
  • MrMack08
    401 posts Sunday League Hero

So when Ronaldo/Messi retire they can't have an icon card bc there are already too many?
  • Drizzt
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    Need more.

It's obvious to me that people love to play with their icons and we've barely scratched the surface.

I think when they were legends on the Xbox, it could be argued alot not all were actual legends, but EA got clever and realised they could use the word icons which could mean icons of clubs.

We all have a list of amazing players, but also a list of our favourites.

Once Barnes, Rush, Hoddle, Kenny, Stam, Zidane and Zico are released, I will then be truly satisfied.

Now does EA do the Icons justice stats wise is probably a better question. I think not.

I'd be happy with 2 versions, great and greater.
  • truegunn3r
    8285 posts League Winner
    edited September 2018
    It doesn’t make any difference. It just expands the database which gives more variety and choice when creating squads. At the end of the day having move icons in the game doesn’t necessarily mean that you are bound to get them all and spend more money. If that was an issue then FIFA shouldn’t have 17,000 players in their database. Kind of a childish argument to be having tbh because I don’t see the logic in it.

...WTF @boomtw3 for suggesting to rotate Pele, R9 and Maradona. Congratulations for making the all time dumbest quote ever in this forum history.
    boomtw3 wrote: »
    No. Every year we should get like 50 icons that's it. 3 version is fine. They should be keep rotating, we shouldn't have Pele,Maradona,R9 every year.

• Drizzt

I hear this a lot, but really how many teams did people play that were full icon teams? How many icons were better than third in form this or special card that?

Even if it was prevalent in the higher leagues and WL, I still bet Lozano, Martial and co, were still wrecking the joint.

Players skill still gazumps teams.

How many actually could afford R9, Gullit and Vieira primes in their team? We are talking small %.

And you say by March? 6 months is a long time to be playing FIFA so yes, getting top players should/could be achievable after such a long time if playing.
  • OZero
    4502 posts National Call-Up
    You won't pack them. So it's irrelevant
  • CharlieC
    5365 posts Big Money Move
    I don’t mind different icons, all adds to the spice. Hated them in WC mode though.
  • Denisianes
    8059 posts League Winner
    They can give us 1000 Icons, but it won't matter if their pack weight is bad. Why can't we get someone like Nistelrooy for 50k coins? I know more people will be able to afford them and you will see them more often.....SO WHAT? Isn't that the whole point. I hate having to pay 200k for a player who is worse than a SIF, but it would be so much better if we could get them for cheaper and use them for enjoyment rather than SBC filler for the big guys.

I want to use Raul cause I really liked him and he has decent stats even if most SIFs will surpass him, and I bet he will cost 400k+ for the first few months, which makes most Icons almost irrelevant.
  • Ghotti
    2373 posts Fans' Favourite
    Only icons keep me in this game give me more!
  • Drizzt
    Ghotti wrote: »

Same for me mate.

Icon announcement every August is what I wait for the most.

Every year I think this could be it...John Barnes :smiley:
  • Galayn
    406 posts Sunday League Hero

This.

I am probably a bit biased cause I am 48 and most icons mean more to me than current players (I even switched to xbox a few years ago because of icons - or legends, as they were called).

3 is ok, I like the concept of base icons because they are more affordable, if we only had primes very few could use them.

• Drizzt
    Galayn wrote: »

This.

I am probably a bit biased cause I am 48 and most icons mean more to me than current players (I even switched to xbox a few years ago because of icons - or legends, as they were called).

3 is ok, I like the concept of base icons because they are more affordable, if we only had primes very few could use them.

Snap, 48 also and bought an Xbox one just for legends.

Kluivert was my first and he was amazing. Has been dumbed down ever since :(.

Sold my Xbox once they were added to PS4.

I wouldn't play if no icons.

#justiceforValderrama :smiley:
  • Ghotti
    i feel young i`m "only" 30 :D yeah icons is best thing that keep me in Fifa as i meantion ;) maybe i dont rememer Eusebio or Cruyff but as FCB supporter i want Cruyff and Rivaldo in game ;)
  • Ghotti
    and i`m still waiting for Tevez retirement and hes icon ... my favourite nif with mertens for years ....
  • Rajivvv86
    1499 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hyypia, Hansen, Xabi Alonso, McManaman, Barnes, Rush, Beardsley, Dalglish, Alan Kennedy and Fowler arent in the game. There are too little icons.
  • Ghotti
    zidane Batistuta Romário Cafu Beckham Cantona Thuram Luis Enrique Oliver Kahn Boniek Puskás Totti we can talk about missed legend every year and every year there are gonna be missed small or hugh icons ;) lets be happy that we have 70 icons this year.
  • ukler8
    4714 posts National Call-Up
    No problem with the the icons. But the special cards they release throughout the year is what's too much. Ruined the experience. Only like the first few months, before everyone gets 90-rated squads.
  • Gromit
    3334 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2018
    I have little issue with Icons being in the game, I'd prefer they weren't. But great players like Maradonna and Pele deserve to be remembered and I can see why they are wanted.

But they are part of the problem with FUT nowadays and rather detract from what FUT was all about.

1. Team building
    2. Being fresh and current

With their chem bypass, they totally negate the need for team building, for actually putting thought into a team , but it's fair to say most people do what they can to bypass it anyway.

Also part of the charm of FUT was that it was fresh and current, players get upgrades throughout the year, transferred players get moved etc. Icons again takeaway from all that.

It would be nice if we got some separation in the game, so that there was a mode to use all these cards, but there was also a mode that was more like the old FUT.

I also agree with the guy above, too many special cards in general have ruined the game. Too many players have too many 90+ stats and every player is too much of a man for any occasions, players seem to have so little weakness to their game aside from the lack of pace or stamina. You can practically play most of these players anywhere on the pitch with no penalty.

Its not wonder the game is so generic.
  • Mini_Miudo
    9742 posts League Winner
    As above, I'd rather Icons just weren't a thing. The game should be about current players, not someone who smashed it 50 years ago... Other negative effects it brings:

- A lot of people get attracted by these "shiny" icons and dump thousands into Fifa Points, making the game way more P2W.
    - Every team is nearly the same, especially towards the end of the game cycle.
  • CharlieC
    5365 posts Big Money Move
    Mini_Miudo wrote: »
    As above, I'd rather Icons just weren't a thing. The game should be about current players, not someone who smashed it 50 years ago... Other negative effects it brings:

- A lot of people get attracted by these "shiny" icons and dump thousands into Fifa Points, making the game way more P2W.
    - Every team is nearly the same, especially towards the end of the game cycle.

I would be interested in a restriction of max 3 icons per team. I admit that it annoys me slightly to see teams of Icons. This is FUT 18/19 or whatever so needs to stay rooted in reality to a certain extent.

I'd say its the middle of the game that suffers the most because when you get to TOTS, teams tend to get stacked with those anyway.
  • Drizzt
    Rooted in reality?
    Every team is the same?
    Should be fresh and current?

I thought this game was about building an ultimate team? Having Messi, Ronaldo, De Bryne, Neymar and Mbappe ball current players and more expensive than a lot of icons, in one team is okay, but having Gerrard and Lampard, breaks reality?

So Martial, Son, Bailey, Jesus, BAKAYOKO!!! are not seen as much as icon teams?

Never seen Socrates before but I'm sure seeing Musa will be fresh.

I get it, you don't like icons, bit please don't come up with these excuses because you don't like em to make it sound like your talking sense.
  • Gromit
    3334 posts National Call-Up
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Rooted in reality?

I thought this game was about building an ultimate team? Having Messi, Ronaldo, De Bryne, Neymar and Mbappe ball current players

Always hated this narrow view, its ultimate team so your team should be Messi and Ronaldo.

It's just a name, a poor one at that. There's 12000+ cards for a reason. Unfortunately the game had declined to the point we don't use bronzes, silvers, non rares and even most rares.

Just a small pool of meta rares then special cards.

It's such a waste of a game.

• TheonlywayisS6
    1934 posts Play-Off Hero
    Need more.

It's obvious to me that people love to play with their icons and we've barely scratched the surface.

I think when they were legends on the Xbox, it could be argued alot not all were actual legends, but EA got clever and realised they could use the word icons which could mean icons of clubs.

Once Barnes, Rush, Hoddle, Kenny, Stam, Zidane and Zico are released, I will then be truly satisfied.

Now does EA do the Icons justice stats wise is probably a better question. I think not.

I don't think Paddy Kenny deserves an icon card tbh
  • Drizzt
    Need more.

I don't think Paddy Kenny deserves an icon card tbh

Lol. Okay, how about Paddy and King. :wink: