The American SOCCER Lounge

Comments

• SuperSonicSean
    5941 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 7
    Pro tip: sell your Carniball Pulisic now if you still have him. He's going to crash hard on the 17th, at which point you can buy him back for like 30K tops.
  • hockeyphenom87
    7049 posts Big Money Move
    We've looked pretty good so far, just can't score.

Hello everybody!
  • RayS
    25292 posts Player of the Year
    We've looked pretty good so far, just can't score.

Hello everybody!

Hello! Agreed
  • Fifapayne
    421 posts Sunday League Hero
    We blew that big time
  • Chubbs
    14256 posts Has That Special Something
    Tournament on the line and we sub Zardes, Roldan, and Lovitz. What a joke team selection was. Zardes doesn't ever belong back in the team for any reason or ant tournament.
  • Fifapayne
    Zardes was bad
    Roldan awful lol

But I think a lot of younger players came off World Cup?
  • finsfan85
    12192 posts Has That Special Something
    No reason that Boyd shouldn’t have been our final sub
  • RC
    763 posts Semi-Pro
    So tired of the Zardes hate. Funny how one of our less talented player ends up the top goalscorer for the team and our most talented players fail to come up big when it counts.

That Jozy miss, leaving Boyd in the bench, and the spineless ref cost us the game.

On a positive note, given how well we've looked most times with this set of players, can't wait to see what the team looks like with Adams, Weah, Sargent, Brooks, Yedlin, and a competent LB.
  • Chubbs
    Zardes is a donkey. There's no way around it. Had no technical ability, doesn't know how to use his size, and is a below average finisher. Literally no positive exempt his grandma can find him easily on the field.
  • RayS
    At least we should get a Hero/MOTM Jona Dos Santos to green link with Ibra lol
  • RayS
    RC wrote: »
    So tired of the Zardes hate. Funny how one of our less talented player ends up the top goalscorer for the team and our most talented players fail to come up big when it counts.

That Jozy miss, leaving Boyd in the bench, and the spineless ref cost us the game.

On a positive note, given how well we've looked most times with this set of players, can't wait to see what the team looks like with Adams, Weah, Sargent, Brooks, Yedlin, and a competent LB.

As a person, Zardes seems like a really cool and nice guy, but I just can't stand him in the US team anymore. He's got his strong point in that he learned Berhlaters system inside and out when and where to make runs... But his technical side lets him down too much to be a starter at an international level. Just look at the way he tries to play hold up,: it's a loose touch here, it's a sloppy layoff there. Jozy had a bad miss yes (but his cut before the shot was something I would never see Zardes do), but overall his finishing skill is glaringly below Jozy. Just not good enough.
  • QceCapo
    5601 posts Big Money Move
    RC wrote: »

For sure want our strongest side.
  • RayS
  • Gnomenclature
    2643 posts Fans' Favourite
    Damn... such a let down. Thought for sure Morris' header was going in... can't believe that ref didn't send off guardado - first he molests our guy, then chokes out McKinney? Right in front of the ref too.

First 60min looked good then m exico put on the constant pressure...

Not sure I'll be able to put that dos Santos hero/motm in my mls squad...
  • SuperSonicSean
    @RayS hit the nail on the head. Zardes lacks technical ability, and wouldn't be anywhere near a decent national team. Jozy should have been phased out a while ago, but our talent pool lacks a #9 who can operate as a target man. His hold up play is light-years beyond what anyone else we have can do, even if his finishing and consistency lets him down. Josh Sargent is showing promising footwork (still mad he wasn't here), but doesn't come close to Jozy's size and strength.

You watch games like this and can't help but wonder "What would Dempsey do?" His technical ability, finishing, scrappiness, knack for rising to the occasion in big games, it's all severely missed in this team. It was nice having him because he took the scoring pressure off some of the other guys. We lack that Donovan/Dempsey or even Dempsey/In-Form-Jozy 1-2 punch of years past. I like Pulisic and Mckennie, but there's a serious problem when they're the only goalscorers in the knockout rounds.
  • AngryFUTplayer
    857 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 8
    In light of yesterday's game and terrible showing from our substitutes, what do you think is our best possible lineup and formation. Regardless of system. Just getting our best players on the field. I liked the pulisic Bradley mckennie trio in midfield and obviously see that Adams would play that hybrid role pushing yedlin further forward but that would probably be limited by the emergence of Boyd. Thoughts?
  • RayS
    In light of yesterday's game and terrible showing from our substitutes, what do you think is our best possible lineup and formation. Regardless of system. Just getting our best players on the field. I liked the pulisic Bradley mckennie trio in midfield and obviously see that Adams would play that hybrid role pushing yedlin further forward but that would probably be limited by the emergence of Boyd. Thoughts?

For now

Weah - Altidore - Boyd
    Adams - Pulisic (pushed up high) - McKennie
    ????? - Brooks - Long - Cannon (or Yedlin)

At least for this tournament and the friendlies it seems Berhalter has abandoned that hybrid RB role
  • RayS
    edited July 8
    i think the left back spot is Chris Gloucester's to lose in the future, but for the time being we might just have to stick with Ream... which gives me real cause for concern.

Our last two decent opponents totally exploited the fact that Ream doesn't get up the field much. Leon Bailly started on Jamaica's left side (our right side) but couldn't get forward as much with Cannon bombing up and down. So they switched him to the right the second half and guess what? That's where their goal comes from. Same exact thing with Mexico except with Pizarro.
  • RayS
    Adams doesn't have the passing range (yet) that Bradley does, but I'd be willing to risk a little passing range to get a destroyer like Adam at CDM.
  • Fifapayne
    the difference between USA and other soccer countries
    Mexico woke up this morning celebrating a victory...USA woke up too see the new LAL starting 5..

USA simply doesn’t care enough

Shoot, where I’m from we are already counting down the days for college football
    Been counting down from 100 lol
  • RayS
    edited July 10
  • SuperSonicSean
    RayS wrote: »

Meh. At least this will boost his All Star card.
  • RayS

Meh. At least this will boost his All Star card.

He should have a FUT 18 SBC Giovinco feel with Engine, but definitely not viable as a competitive option. Will still get him of course though
  • Chubbs
    Revs signing a DP.... is the world ending
  • QceCapo
    Chubbs wrote: »

TOTS La Liga this year.

Happy Revs fan...

Him and Gil up top will do some damage.
  • RayS
    QceCapo wrote: »

TOTS La Liga this year.

Happy Revs fan...

except that Tijuana isn't in La Liga ;)

but yeah, should be interesting to see how well he does.
  • RayS
    the only thing keeping me motivated to grind BPM daily is the prospect of MLS AS lol

on 800k atm. Hopefully can hit just above a mil before then.
  • QceCapo
    QceCapo wrote: »

TOTS La Liga this year.

Happy Revs fan...

except that Tijuana isn't in La Liga ;)

but yeah, should be interesting to see how well he does.

Liga MX....my b lol....
  • SuperSonicSean
    edited July 13
    Updated MLS All Star squad taking into account POTM Moralez and MOTM dos Santos and Metanire:
    MLSAll-Stars-Full-Squad.png

*Edit* Fixed the image
    Post edited by SuperSonicSean on
  • RayS
    Love it @SuperSonicSean amazing work

That MOTM Metanire came out of the blue.