The American SOCCER Lounge

Comments

• Gnomenclature
    4011 posts National Call-Up
    Man, I wish the US could play with a purpose like this every night. Every now and again they get pissed off and just destroy the opposition. Other times they look disinterested. Thankfully this is the former, and without Pulisic too, which is promising.

Hope one of our defenders gets it. Long 1G + CS? He'd have a sick card TBH.

An inform long would be playable too. Would he be 82 rated?
  • RayS
    27146 posts Player of the Year
    Man, I wish the US could play with a purpose like this every night. Every now and again they get pissed off and just destroy the opposition. Other times they look disinterested. Thankfully this is the former, and without Pulisic too, which is promising.

Probably 81 rated. But ya, can't watch the game bc I don't get ESPN but seems we've woken up a bit. Too bad no CS now tho lol
  • Gnomenclature
    RayS wrote: »

Probably 81 rated. But ya, can't watch the game bc I don't get ESPN but seems we've woken up a bit. Too bad no CS now tho lol

Zardes just added another. 4-1 USA.

Not sure if 2 goals from a striker will be enough for an inform - his silver card is pretty good.
  • Timbers released Brian Fernandez
  • SuperSonicSean
    6075 posts Big Money Move
    Timbers released Brian Fernandez

You hate to see it. Dude is immensely talented and was taking the league by storm, but couldn't kick his drug habit. Now the Timbers plan to sue Necaxa.

I hope Fernandez gets the help that he needs.
  • Gnomenclature
    Timbers released Brian Fernandez

You hate to see it. Dude is immensely talented and was taking the league by storm, but couldn't kick his drug habit. Now the Timbers plan to sue Necaxa.

I hope Fernandez gets the help that he needs.

Hope he does find a way to overcome his addiction, hes still young and very talented. This issue must go beyond just a drug problem - I'd like to think mls would've been more patient with player during their recovery. Probably some serious misconduct that we just don't know about.

Hope the timbers can find an adaquate replacement as its always much more exciting when your rivals can compete.

Vancouver is a rival too, but theyre never much of a threat - not enough tension for passionate competition.
  • AngryFUTplayer
    922 posts Semi-Pro
    edited November 18
    Galaxy pick up pavon's option, making him a dp in zlatans place.
  • Gnomenclature
    USA vs Cuba on a tuesday...

Too bad Tuesday games don't seem to count toward totw because you know someone's getting a hatrick tonight lol....

Still have some hope that zardes gets an inform tomorrow.
  • Gnomenclature
    Galaxy pick up pavon's option, making him a dp in zlatans place.

Hope they get cavani too, he would be fun to watch.
  • RayS
    USA vs Cuba on a tuesday...

Too bad Tuesday games don't seem to count toward totw because you know someone's getting a hatrick tonight lol....

Still have some hope that zardes gets an inform tomorrow.

AND expansion draft woo. Will be interested to see if Lee Nguyen or Tsubasah Endoh get picked up. Nguyen could be potentially useful to either team as a squad player. Probably better for Endoh to stay put with Vanney in Toronto.

Yeah, too bad these fixtures weren't reversed like last time with our McKennie. No chance anyone makes TOTW tomorrow from tonight :(
  • RayS
    edited November 19
    FC Dallas protected btw bc we had someone taken (Lamah and Ulloa both went to Cincy but I forget which was through the expansion draft) last season for expansion draft.

@Gnomenclature I noticed Torres on the expansion draft list. unprotected!
  • Gnomenclature
    FC Dallas protected btw bc we had someone taken (Lamah and Ulloa both went to Cincy but I forget which was through the expansion draft) last season for expansion draft.

I noticed that too. I have faith in lagerway though... Dudes a genius. Built 4 teams in last 9 years that have been to the final - 3 out of 4 won.

Torres is getting old and is expensive. I guess Seattle is feeling more confident about arreaga? Hes a red card machine... I'm sure we will sign a top notch center back this year.

We need a center back, reliable back up striker, and a winger to replace v-rod. I think we sign a dp attacker to replace Rodriguez.
  • RayS

I noticed that too. I have faith in lagerway though... Dudes a genius. Built 4 teams in last 9 years that have been to the final - 3 out of 4 won.

Torres is getting old and is expensive. I guess Seattle is feeling more confident about arreaga? Hes a red card machine... I'm sure we will sign a top notch center back this year.

We need a center back, reliable back up striker, and a winger to replace v-rod. I think we sign a dp attacker to replace Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is gone?
  • Gnomenclature

Rodriguez is gone?

That's the feeling right now. He's a fantastic player, but spends most the season out due to injuries and fitness levels. I don't think he's played more than half a season in three years...

For dp, that's just not good enough in this league. Seattle have **** depth... Crazy we won a title with no back up striker (bruin had a season ending injury), Chad Marshall retiring, Torres banned half the season, and ruidiaz missing a dozen games due to injury too. Thankfully roldan, lodeiro, and Morris have fitness for days... And Frei is a spider monkey for getting us points when the team couldn't score.
  • Gnomenclature
    Here's a few I expect to get selected today - have not done any research regarding eligibility though:

Lee Nguyen
    Ben sweat
    Juan agudelo (a fresh start could do well for him)
    Jackson-hamel (had signs of being a great player a couple years ago)
    Medunjanin (probably too expensive, but a solid cdm)
    Harry ship (underrated player imo)
    Medranda (not a good season last year, but solid fullback).
    Seth sinovic (also poor season, but good player)
    Justin morrow (crazy he's not protected)

Of course there will be a lot of surprise picks due to trading for other players, value, and potential.
  • RayS
    Here's a few I expect to get selected today - have not done any research regarding eligibility though:

Lee Nguyen
    Ben sweat

Of course there will be a lot of surprise picks due to trading for other players, value, and potential.

wow yeah didn't realize Morrow isn't protected. But yeah, any of those guys could be solid squad players.

Was listening to the ExtraTime podcast this morning with an interview with the sporting director at Miami and they were talking about how a lot of trades are not really about getting playres into your squad, but about having pieces you can later trade to teams to actually get the players you want. it's a big game!
  • Chubbs
    14476 posts Has That Special Something
    Vasquez from ATL looks to be a our biggest risk.
  • Gnomenclature

Lee Nguyen
    Ben sweat

wow yeah didn't realize Morrow isn't protected. But yeah, any of those guys could be solid squad players.

Was listening to the ExtraTime podcast this morning with an interview with the sporting director at Miami and they were talking about how a lot of trades are not really about getting playres into your squad, but about having pieces you can later trade to teams to actually get the players you want. it's a big game!

Yeah, you saw that a lot last year with Cincinnati. Lots of wheeling and dealing between FOs this time of year. I bet a lot of trades are done to get tam/gam (Garber bucks) this year. Having a bigger cap is key these days...

Depends on what other teams need right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas city doing some back room trades here. A lot of teams would love to have a guy like morrow right now - especially galaxy lol.
  • Gnomenclature
    No big surprises in the draft.

Best of luck to meredith - hes a good keeper that was never gonna start in front of frei.

Hope Nguyen can start/captain his new team. Hea a great passer and has good vision of the game.

Medranda was a no brainer.
  • Chubbs
    14476 posts Has That Special Something
    Vasquez to Cincinnati is rough for him.
  • Gnomenclature
    Chubbs wrote: »
    Vasquez to Cincinnati is rough for him.

Maybe he will get to start and make a name for himself. It's gotta be tough sitting behind josef...
  • Gnomenclature
    edited November 20
    Interesting lineup tonight against cuba... 343

Morris in the center... you know he's gonna get a hatrick because its a tuesday lol. Yedlin as a winger over dest.

Edit: Cuba clearly don't a give a care about soccer... there are maybe 100 fans there lol.
  • SuperSonicSean
    6075 posts Big Money Move
    Didn't even bother watching the game because I already knew the result before it started. Can't help but feel like we're wasting our time playing these minnows. As bad as we are, Mexico is our only real competition in the region (maybe Jamaica on a good day). I just don't see how we get better against teams like Cuba or St. Vincent & The Grenadines.
  • RayS
    No big surprises in the draft.

Best of luck to meredith - hes a good keeper that was never gonna start in front of frei.

Hope Nguyen can start/captain his new team. Hea a great passer and has good vision of the game.

Medranda was a no brainer.

Yeah nothing really crazy. Miami getting a couple veteran fullbacks. would love to see Nguyen revive some of his good days from NE
  • RayS

Morris in the center... you know he's gonna get a hatrick because its a tuesday lol. Yedlin as a winger over dest.

Edit: Cuba clearly don't a give a care about soccer... there are maybe 100 fans there lol.

well, even though it was technically a Cuba home game, it was actually in the Cayman Islands. But yeah, not sure if there were weven a hundred lol. Looks liked a local rec league soccer game.
  • Gnomenclature

well, even though it was technically a Cuba home game, it was actually in the Cayman Islands. But yeah, not sure if there were weven a hundred lol. Looks liked a local rec league soccer game.

Yeah, at first I thought it was in cuba... hope the guys had some fun on the beach after the game lol. The second half was BORING.

Morris got a brace by half time - he sure scores a lot, but never looks smooth on the ball. He reminds me of a classic English striker from the 80s/90s - physical, aggressive, in the right place at the right time - incredible work rates. If he could get his dribbling game up he'd be even more lethal (and more entertaining). Heart and pace are his bread and butter.
  • Gnomenclature
    Didn't even bother watching the game because I already knew the result before it started. Can't help but feel like we're wasting our time playing these minnows. As bad as we are, Mexico is our only real competition in the region (maybe Jamaica on a good day). I just don't see how we get better against teams like Cuba or St. Vincent & The Grenadines.

Well, we can't exactly choose who's in the competition... but I agree, until we are regularly beating Mexico this team will only ever be 2nd best.

The squad is starting to shape up though. Dest is a huge upgrade, pulisic is showing he can compete in the premier league, and long has been impressive for a smaller centerback.

Still a lot of work to be done though.
  • RayS

Yeah, at first I thought it was in cuba... hope the guys had some fun on the beach after the game lol. The second half was BORING.

Morris got a brace by half time - he sure scores a lot, but never looks smooth on the ball. He reminds me of a classic English striker from the 80s/90s - physical, aggressive, in the right place at the right time - incredible work rates. If he could get his dribbling game up he'd be even more lethal (and more entertaining). Heart and pace are his bread and butter.

you think Morris will ever ply his trade overseas? I remember back when he had the choice to go to Werder Bremen and Seattle it seemed he was pretty settled at home.
  • RayS

Well, we can't exactly choose who's in the competition... but I agree, until we are regularly beating Mexico this team will only ever be 2nd best.

The squad is starting to shape up though. Dest is a huge upgrade, pulisic is showing he can compete in the premier league, and long has been impressive for a smaller centerback.

Still a lot of work to be done though.

I didn't realize the qualification for this "league A" was so shambolic though. Apparently the lower ranked nations like Cuba, etc were all thrown in this big group of like 30 teams. Each team only played 4 other teams and then they took the top performers from the group. Cuba racked up 11 goals vs a minnow or minnows in the Caribbean. They need to refine the qualification for this a bit.
  • Gnomenclature
    edited November 20

you think Morris will ever ply his trade overseas? I remember back when he had the choice to go to Werder Bremen and Seattle it seemed he was pretty settled at home.

Hard to say. He's a big part of Seattle - born and raised there, dad is the team doctor, and he is a type 1 diabetic (might like being around a medical team that knows/can manage his illness).

I think if the right offer came he'd consider it. Thing is he's a star in Seattle - not sure it could be that way in Germany (cant see him in the prem for some reason). There is also the concern of his season ending injury last year. Word is that he had a lot of anxiety coming back to the game after his recovery.