The Ultimate Targetman Guide

Comments

• gresh1978
    2449 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’ve answered a fair few questions on my play style lately, any appetite for a full 5221 targetman guide?

Yes please. That would be brill. I have finished my team and am doing v well with it so far. Will share it with u all soon.

Are you playing the same style as mentioned by @farpostghost
  • SJR440
    4304 posts National Call-Up
    I’ve answered a fair few questions on my play style lately, any appetite for a full 5221 targetman guide?

Absolutely man, would love to see this in a guide :)
  • FarPostGhost
    423 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited December 2018
    gresh1978 wrote: »
    @FarPostGhost This is what I have so far;

4aKldXN.jpg

6f9V6Bx.jpg

Not sure which would be the best side to concentrate the attacks down. Also who should I put in the empty CB spot

Swap Matuidi and Nain in the first one and attack right. Manolas is the man for the CB spot.

Prem team i’d also go right, cb is your choice mate, not used a prem team this year so no idea who’s good.

• FarPostGhost
    I’ll look to put a guide together in the next few days.

Does anyone know how to screen grab from an iPad and post it?
  • gresh1978
    gresh1978 wrote: »
    @FarPostGhost This is what I have so far;

4aKldXN.jpg

6f9V6Bx.jpg

Not sure which would be the best side to concentrate the attacks down. Also who should I put in the empty CB spot

Swap Matuidi and Nain in the first one and attack right. Manolas is the man for the CB spot.

Prem team i’d also go right, cb is your choice mate, not used a prem team this year so no idea who’s good.

So in game Kane would swap with Mane and IF Mandzukic would swap with Perisic to the LW and bombard the opponent with crosses from the right side.
  • Matt97
    1112 posts Professional
    edited December 2018
    Jesus Kane is unreal, if it weren't for a lot of DCs and rage quits he'd equal goals with games after 250 games
  • gresh1978
    Matt97 wrote: »
    Jesus Kane is unreal, if it weren't for a lot of DCs and rage quits he'd equal goals with games after 250 games

I've not been overly impressed with him so far, but not had him long.
  • SJR440
    4304 posts National Call-Up
    SJR440 wrote: »
    @FarPostGhost So had about 6 or 7 games tonight and... I can see why it works and it is quite a lot of fun. The only issue is that my chosen targetman (NIF Mandzukic) is never, and I repeat, NEVER in the box despite using instructions. I'm also unsure exactly of what type of ST I should be using, should it be a targetman or a crosser? Currently using Belotti there as you can see but he's not really doing much for me.

Here's the team, any help you can provide would be appreciated bud:

2ur0yf6.png

Ah, good point on the striker, may have contradicted myself there!

Like most players my team is constantly changing, you can use either a crosser drifting wide (good for breaking down a packed defence) or a second targetman (better if you’re getting plenty of crosses in with your winger/wing back).

As for Mandzucic, do you have him set to stay forward and targetman? Even if this is the case, sometimes you can break too fast and be in a crossing position too early. In this situation I like to tie up the full back with my winger until the WB gets in a good position then lay it off (through ball played backwards up the line) and hit a hard whipped cross to the back post.

Also Mandzucic has H/H work rates, so even with stay forward instructions he will sometimes drop too deep.

Mandzukic is set to stay forward and targetman yeah, just can't get him into any good positions.

Do you think UCL Group Stage Dzeko might be a good call instead?

I'm facing packed defenses all the time (ptb) so might opt for another crosser at striker and replace Belotti once I've done the Torino challenge - any suggestions for good ones in the Serie A that you've used?

Personally didn’t like Dzeko, seems to struggle to jump. Verdi, even on 7 chem is excellent as a crosser (catalyst card a must) he’s got 5* weak foot which really helps.

Outside of Mandzukic, not great options in Italy unfortunately. Maybe look at a hybrid?

@FarPostGhost Hmm, bit stuck for ideas then really. Is a Bundesliga worth a look in perhaps? Got a fair few untradables from that league in my club such as Tah, FUTMas Zakaria, POTM Sancho etc.

Bundesliga means you can use IF Weghorst who, in my opinion, is the best targetman in the game with a Hawk chem style applied.

No other player can match his combination of height, jumping, heading, positioning, strength and aggression.

He has 236 goals in 170 games for me.

Sounds good, Bundesliga it is! :)
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    3884 posts National Call-Up
    Any other formations working for people?
  • Zzizou_10
    5139 posts Big Money Move
    Take a look on Dyego Sousa boys!
  • FarPostGhost
    Zzizou_10 wrote: »
    Take a look on Dyego Sousa boys!

Looks quality, power header and target forward traits too.

Look at that Poulsen tho!!!

• FarPostGhost

What formation do you like to play when not using a targetman? I’m sure you could make some tweaks to get a targetman in there?
  • Bilbao_Baggins

What formation do you like to play when not using a targetman? I’m sure you could make some tweaks to get a targetman in there?

Really enjoyed the 352. I like to be different than the usual. So will probably go to that, with 2 big lads up top.

I really tried the 5221 formation but found the midfield to be so barren and for some reason struggled to cross. 5 games later sold the team, kept Weghorst as he had 6 goals. only 3 headed tho. May try Poulsen up top
  • Helldragon
    90 posts Park Captain

4-2-3-1 (2) but for me i have to played to often with this formation. I am now looking for a new Formation.

Poulsen and Sousa rly looks good.
  • FarPostGhost

Really enjoyed the 352. I like to be different than the usual. So will probably go to that, with 2 big lads up top.

I really tried the 5221 formation but found the midfield to be so barren and for some reason struggled to cross. 5 games later sold the team, kept Weghorst as he had 6 goals. only 3 headed tho. May try Poulsen up top
    Yeah it can leave you short in midfield, personally I don’t mind as it provides more defenders to combat the break, but each to there own I guess.
  • Helldragon
    90 posts Park Captain
    c6add0aa663decd621de52dd66d942ec.jpeg
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    Helldragon wrote: »
    c6add0aa663decd621de52dd66d942ec.jpeg

Nice. What's ballack like?
  • Helldragon
    90 posts Park Captain
    I have Ballack Prime from a untradeable Pack. That is the point that i use him^^. But he is rly strong!
  • Bilbao_Baggins

Yeah it can leave you short in midfield, personally I don’t mind as it provides more defenders to combat the break, but each to there own I guess.

Regards crossing are u using a standard cross generally? Or the LB variant?
  • FarPostGhost

Regards crossing are u using a standard cross generally? Or the LB variant?

Mix of both but probably more the LB variant, especially if it’s a packed area.

• Guzman
    955 posts Semi-Pro
    hey @FarPostGhost i been following your tactics but just now i'm deciding to give them a try and i build two teams around it. let me know what you think 48cfd5220191f37301a5c532ce576939-png.jpg

e120852c30a3bfda1d3b76376aaca5dc-png.jpg

i would switch from 532 and 5212 to this 5221 in game
  • wau2
    44 posts Last Pick at the Park
    shearer kluivert klose or totgs lewa to partner weghorst?
  • FarPostGhost
    Guzman wrote: »
    hey @FarPostGhost i been following your tactics but just now i'm deciding to give them a try and i build two teams around it. let me know what you think 48cfd5220191f37301a5c532ce576939-png.jpg

e120852c30a3bfda1d3b76376aaca5dc-png.jpg

i would switch from 532 and 5212 to this 5221 in game
    My kind of football :)

Good teams 👍
  • FarPostGhost
    wau2 wrote: »
    shearer kluivert klose or totgs lewa to partner weghorst?

Shearer or Klose for me, playing in a 2 with Weghorst they need to be half decent at crossing
  • FarPostGhost
    Been experimenting with a winger playing wing back. Really adds to your crossing options if you get a 5* weak foot player in there. You lose some defensive cover but as long as the remaining defenders are good enough you can certainly get away with it.
  • FarPostGhost
    edited December 2018
    Here’s my current team, Overmars and Lukaku start on 7 chem, everyone else on 10
    09698-FD8-AB9-D-44-EF-8971-CBDD52-B5-C9-F3.jpg
  • Helldragon
    90 posts Park Captain
    I dont find a right formation for crossing. i tested now 4-4-2 , 4-1-4-1 , 4-4-1-1 an i dont come to cross to my target man.
  • FarPostGhost
    Helldragon wrote: »
    I dont find a right formation for crossing. i tested now 4-4-2 , 4-1-4-1 , 4-4-1-1 an i dont come to cross to my target man.
    If you’re looking to cross and score you really need the targetman out wide. Playing up top in a two or a one can still be effective but your target man becomes more of a link up player (flick ons, holding up the ball etc.) rather than a finisher.
  • Helldragon
    90 posts Park Captain
    Yeah, but the Targetman alway play in the middle and not outside. And i dont like to change the formation ingame. I think it is time to play a other style of football and give up the targetmans.
  • FarPostGhost
    Not true, targetman play wide too, Mandzukic has been doing it for years at Juventus.