The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Newcastle United | The Magpies Flying High |

Comments

• Ashy
    10589 posts Has That Special Something
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Tough start to the season with Tottenham but it's at home and really last season Newcastle should have had a point in the 1-0 defeat. Spurs always seem to have tough matches at Newcastle.
    If the defense can hold tight, I think you earn a point in this one.
    I hope so however the defence hasn't looked good in pre-season apart from the Porto game so let's see
    subpop wrote: »
    It's evident from the press conference that Rafa Benitez is far from happy... the pre-season shows that the team seem far from the objective. Probably Benitez has good reasons to complain, but losing against Braga by 4 goals or Augsburg (a weak team in the Bundesliga) expose that the problem isn't just the players, as they should defeat these rivals anyway.
    Let's see what happens when the real stuff begins.
    Yep spot on, the window is now close so Benitez just has to get his head down and focus on getting some results now, it was a poor finish to pre-season so it's important to start the league off well
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Newcastle are a sleeping giant in the wrong hands as it stands I feel they have the potential to grow into a big club but it will need wise investment
    Absolutely, Mike Ashley needs to move on but will he finally sell the club I'm not so sure
  • Ashy
    edited September 2018
    1RxSIoo.png

9SuHcTj.png

We have reached the end of October, 10 games into the Premier League season and Newcastle are rock bottom with only 5 points from 30. A horrible start to the season for Benitez and the breaking news today is he walks away from the club after crunch talks with the owner and the board this morning, rumours are he stormed out of the meeting in an explosive manner after talks about January investment in the transfer market and his long term future at the club. Insiders suggest Mike Ashley is ready to cash in on key players Lascelles, Shelvey and Ritchie and that's what tipped him over the edge. Newcastle released a statement on the matter moments ago confirming the news and u23 head coach Ben Dawson will take over as interim manager for the time being as they look for a replacement.

It doesn't end there however, Sky Sports camera's are at St James Park where the crowds are only getting bigger as they protest to get the owner Mike Ashley out of the club, this has been an ongoing saga for a while now but we've never seen anything like this, the pressure is on the owner now with many believing he is holding the club to ransom, one fan had this to say, "He's just lost a quality manager due to his stubbornness, he's bleeding the club dry, threatening to sell key players, no investment in the transfer window and asking for far too much in the sale of the club, it's ridiculous." There seems to be an organised protest in preparation for their next home game against Watford with many season ticket holders ready to boycott the game, will the stadium be half full next weekend?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    After fast forwarding 10 weeks in advance you now see the state of the club is in, now we travel back to the first day of the season and see how those 10 weeks unfolded...
  • Wyojasond
    13328 posts Has That Special Something
    :o:o:o 5 points from 10 games. Yikes. Wasn’t expecting this from your story but it’s pretty cool to see. Eager to see what happens next.
  • Danimal5981
    2471 posts Fans' Favourite
    Uuh, retrospect: original!
  • JamieC
    827 posts Semi-Pro
    Oh no! :open_mouth:
  • Stlducks
    1757 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well that was an unexpected twist! The rumors of Rafa leaving have always been there but I didn't see it this quickly. Interested to see how it all played out and if Ashley will finally sell.
  • Ashy
    :o:o:o 5 points from 10 games. Yikes. Wasn’t expecting this from your story but it’s pretty cool to see. Eager to see what happens next.
    Yep very bad start, working on getting more storylines in my stories this time round and it begins here
    Uuh, retrospect: original!
    Yeah thought I'd mix things up and had this idea planned for the past few weeks
    JamieC wrote: »
    Oh no! :open_mouth:
    Oh no indeed, dark times at Newcastle!
    Well that was an unexpected twist! The rumors of Rafa leaving have always been there but I didn't see it this quickly. Interested to see how it all played out and if Ashley will finally sell.
    Yep Rafa has always been on edge, he's unhappy at the club and just wanted to see through this final year for the fans but it comes to a quick end after things went sour over the 10 week
  • Ashy
    Kane makes the difference in narrow defeat to Spurs on the opening day
    Hm1m1V7.png

Shelvey's long range goal rescues the Toon as they take their first point of the season
    Cd2GjBt.png

Newcastle failed to impress over the first two games as Tottenham narrowly beat them in a deserved win for the North London side and an away trip to Cardiff ended dramatically with two late goals and Shelvey saving the club from another defeat.
  • Ashy
    edited September 2018
    10 man Chelsea cruise past Newcastle despite the disadvantage
    rU1HXk2.png

First win of the season for Newcastle as they narrowly beat Luton Town
    I969lbf.png

Chelsea look very good this season under Italian manager Sarri however an early red card to right back Zappacosta could have cost them their perfect start but this wasn't the case as they dominated throughout the game, Hazard ran the show and the scoreline finished a close 2-1 despite it being very one-sided. Newcastle needed a break from league football and it came at the right time as they travelled away to Luton in the Carabao Cup, Benitez fielded a weakened side and they just edged the League 2 side 1-0 thanks to Ritchie early in the first half.

Benitez had this to say, "August was always going to be a tough month for us, Tottenham and Chelsea are very strong teams but I felt we could have gotten more out of them especially playing at home, the real disappointment of the month was Cardiff, we lacked a bit of grit in this game and we switched off far too many times, it's not like us to do that, we have some things to work on during the international break soon."
  • Ashy
    AZgUWmD.png
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    It will be interesting to see the leads up to Rafael Benitez eventually deciding enough is enough and walking out of Newcastle... I feel sorry for their fans they deserve better and with the start they have made things only look like getting worse
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Certainly realistic :c
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Just catched up to everything. First of all good luck with this story.
    I really like the opening and team choice. Normally NUFC should be able to build a top team. Now with the twist already and Benitez out early after a horrific start things are getting really interesting.
  • Ashy
    It will be interesting to see the leads up to Rafael Benitez eventually deciding enough is enough and walking out of Newcastle... I feel sorry for their fans they deserve better and with the start they have made things only look like getting worse
    Yep sad times for Newcastle fans, and it's about to get worse. The fall of Benitez is upon us :/
    Certainly realistic :c
    Haha sorry, you are reliving this
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Just catched up to everything. First of all good luck with this story.
    I really like the opening and team choice. Normally NUFC should be able to build a top team. Now with the twist already and Benitez out early after a horrific start things are getting really interesting.
    Thank you, I'm trying to make it as interesting as possible instead of just going with it and being a bit of an unoriginal story, let's see where this goes!
  • Ashy
    Pep's City breeze past Newcastle without breaking a sweat
    ZUtDrpt.png

Mkhitaryan inspires Arsenal to take three points
    92uQvp8.png

Manchester City breezed past Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium to kick off September with a solid 2-0 victory, young midfielder Claudio Gomes was called up and he scored on his debut in fantastic style. Arsenal then travelled to St James' Park and they took all 3 points thanks to an incredible performance from Mkhitaryan, the Armenian netting two goals.
  • Ashy
    edited September 2018
    Shelvey red card costs Newcastle as they take a point at Palace
    MdJJtKb.png

Strong performance in the cup sees Newcastle through
    1lLypq8.png

Leicester narrowly beat Benitez's men as they hit rock bottom
    CBjfCWy.png

As the month continued Newcastle began to kick into gear a little, they should have beaten Palace however a first half red card from Jonjo Shelvey may have cost them the game in the 1-1 draw. A break from the league came as Rotherham met Newcastle in the Carabao Cup, many of the fringe players stepped up in the 3-1 win and finally to end the month in the worst way possible Leicester beat the Magpies 2-1, they lie bottom of the table now and Benitez took a short press conference after the game.

"It's a disappointing month overall for us, some tough games were in there but the second half was one to be very annoyed about, we should have beaten Palace for sure and the Leicester game was there for us but we didn't show up. I'm very worried indeed we are now bottom of the table fighting to survive, all we need is a win and we should escape it, it's really that tight. The fans are right to be angry and all we can do is respond well in October, we have scheduled some talks with the guys higher up at the club about the near future and transfers so hopefully we can reach a positive outcome, we need to add quality or we are in big trouble I feel."
  • Ashy
    WVmZRL3.png
  • Stlducks
    1757 posts Play-Off Hero
    The best thing you can say right now is at least you're still in the league cup. It's the best chance at a trophy this season it seems.
  • Danimal5981
    2471 posts Fans' Favourite
    Flying high indeed, at the top of the bottom...
  • Wyojasond
    13328 posts Has That Special Something
    What a brutal start. Team just can’t seem to find the right gear. Interesting seeing some of the early PL tables. Leicester and Everton much higher than expected.
  • theroyalschamp
    168 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Not the best two months to start with, but I think you can turn it around soon.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    The team are still in the league cup and they have shown some character in games especially the Crystal Palace game where they were 1-0 down with ten men and came back to draw
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    What can you say about these results? It's evident that the team are in big crisis. Not surprising to see the change in the manager that was previously announced. One may ask about what's the problem, but it's evident that there's more than just one.

Still early in the season, so there's time to overcome the situation, but one thing seems evident: the main target is to stay in the Premier League no matter how.
  • Lyktan
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Amazing graphics, really pleasing to look at. Can't say that for your results though, will be interesting to see what you can do in the transfer window.
  • Loving the graphics and story so far. Tough run of fixtures at the beginning and negative transfer window is a tough situation to be in, not surprised that Rafa has had enough. Good to see Newcastle doing well in Carabao Cup, certainly a light in the tunnel.
  • Ashy
    The best thing you can say right now is at least you're still in the league cup. It's the best chance at a trophy this season it seems.
    Ye it looks like it, a cup run is always good for the players, a big motivation as we go further and further but the league form is very worrying
    Flying high indeed, at the top of the bottom...
    Haha I edited the title now
    What a brutal start. Team just can’t seem to find the right gear. Interesting seeing some of the early PL tables. Leicester and Everton much higher than expected.
    Yep I see Everton seem to be doing well on a lot of peoples careers on youtube however, but interesting to see how far these mid-table clubs can keep up with the 'top 6'
    Not the best two months to start with, but I think you can turn it around soon.
    Thanks, awful start really, we are almost coming up to the present date now (when Rafa exits the club) at the end of the next month
  • Ashy
    The team are still in the league cup and they have shown some character in games especially the Crystal Palace game where they were 1-0 down with ten men and came back to draw
    Yeah I feel like we should have won that came though, we were on top of them most of the first half then Shelvey ruined the flow by getting sent off, still a decent point though
    subpop wrote: »
    What can you say about these results? It's evident that the team are in big crisis. Not surprising to see the change in the manager that was previously announced. One may ask about what's the problem, but it's evident that there's more than just one.
    Still early in the season, so there's time to overcome the situation, but one thing seems evident: the main target is to stay in the Premier League no matter how.
    Many problems right now, the whole atmosphere is the main issue the fans are unhappy with the performances and investment, Mike Ashley seems to be holding the club to ransom and is asking too much to sell and the manager is not happy with the investment and now rumours he might lose key players in January, more info on this soon
    Lyktan wrote: »
    Amazing graphics, really pleasing to look at. Can't say that for your results though, will be interesting to see what you can do in the transfer window.
    Thanks I want them to be simple and easy to look at, transfer window coming up soon, rumours of possible players going or coming in soon I think
    Kaiduss wrote: »
    Loving the graphics and story so far. Tough run of fixtures at the beginning and negative transfer window is a tough situation to be in, not surprised that Rafa has had enough. Good to see Newcastle doing well in Carabao Cup, certainly a light in the tunnel.
    Thanks, it is a tough run to be far, 5 out of the 'top 6' we play in our first 10 games. Palace next in the cup will be hard though.
  • Ashy
    Rashford double piles more misery for Newcastle United
    9R5pfdB.png

Muto scores winner as Newcastle finally win a league game
    yL6ngVS.png

Newcastle started October as they ended it with a defeat, Manchester United hosted them at Old Trafford and as expected it went one way, Rashford looked incredible as he netted a brace and Pereira getting the third, Newcastle looked so down as they strolled off the pitch. The following game was a must win one, Brighton at home and Benitez pulled it out of the bag with a perfect substitution as Muto came on to score the winner. Newcastle held out and went home with all three points and each player went around the stadium clapping the fans.
  • Ashy
    The Saints beat Newcastle and the pressure piles on Benitez
    ywGwQW3.png

Rafa Benitez spoke after the game, "We struggled today, Southampton knew we would come out with a bit more confidence after our win against Brighton and they shut us down instantly, they are a very good team, we responded well after they took the lead with Murphy equalising but we failed to create enough and their strikers were clinical in the end, we sit bottom once again". Rafa looked very tired and cut the interview short, can he turn it around?
  • Ashy
    edited September 2018
    QYVfWtj.png
    yt56pGz.png

The breaking news this morning coming out of Newcastle is Rafa Benitez has exited the club with 8 months left on this contract after not agreeing with the clubs hierarchy about the future. More details are coming out after the 'explosive meeting' suggest Mike Ashley was present and he personally shut Benitez down with comments about his tactics and player development. While also threatening to sell key players such as club captain Lascelles, Shelvey, Ritchie and Perez in the January window to create funds for his projects. Benitez threatened to leave and Mike called his bluff and now it's history.

Hours later we can reveal that Newcastle u23 head coach Ben Dawson has stepped up and will take the role of interim manager until the board identify a permanent replacement, the question is were Mike Ashley's rumoured threats honest or a play by the owner to get rid of Benitez? Ben Dawson spoke saying he will try guide the club through the next few games or however long it takes to find a replacement, he knows the club well and hopes to pick up the points to get out of the drop zone.

Further into the story we had the cameras outside St James' Park this afternoon as thousands of fans came to protest, many defending Benitez and the players and aiming the negativity at the owner. There are talks on social media of fans organising a massive protest to avoid the next home game in a show of fan power to finally get rid of their owner Mike Ashley, will it happen, will it work?

Finally Sky Sports have developed a list of potential replacements and five candidates stand out with the bookies, the first one being Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers, following him Rep of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill, Eddie Howe is a possibility as is Birmingham manager Garry Monk. Finally a wildcard choice may be Harry Redknapp!