AJAX | End of Season, End of Story

Comments

• DB1512
    295 posts Sunday League Hero
    If Dani is able to spend the money earned with the transfers he could do an extra season at the JC Arena if you ask me. Bring in some former players like Cillessen, Suarez, Alderweireld and Vertonghen and you can come very far in the UCL I believe.
  • Danimal5981
    2148 posts Fans' Favourite
    DB1512 wrote: »
    If Dani is able to spend the money earned with the transfers he could do an extra season at the JC Arena if you ask me. Bring in some former players like Cillessen, Suarez, Alderweireld and Vertonghen and you can come very far in the UCL I believe.

True, though please do not forget that Luis Suarez is already 33, Vertonghen and Alderweireld have transfered in the last half year so out of reach. But Cillessen is an option if I'd loose Onana.

But, if Cruijff is staying he'll focus on players with Ajax DNA
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    I wonder what is in Dani's mind... Perhaps he should talk about it, but he may feel quite disappointed after all. Obviously, the results in the domestic tournaments can't be any better. However, after reaching the semis of the UCL last year, falling in the Round of 16 sounds as a step backwards, even if it was against Barcelona.

I am not sure if it's a matter of money, as Ajax are extremely dominant at home... the question, is he fully motivated to put all his hopes in doing something extraordinary in a short tournament like the UCL or will he look for new personal challenges? Where does he find his motivation?
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    In a way Dani is in a spot like Brendan Rodgers, stay and dominate domestically with your main goals on Europe. Or move to a more difficult league, not guranteed a trophy and have a bigger challenge.

I personally hope Dani goes. He gave Ajax everything and they can be happy with his time there. Moving to a club in a more difficult league is the challenge Dani needs.
  • Wyojasond
    11138 posts Has That Special Something
    Have to agree with Laboog. Think Dani could build a true dynasty at Ajax, but if he really wants to be remembered as a world class manager he has to try it somewhere else.
  • Ashy
    9482 posts League Winner
    Agree with what others have said, Ajax have reached a ceiling point, domestically dominant and good in Europe but not to a point where they are real contenders to win it, maybe it's time to move on next season, a top club like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juventus could well need your assistance
  • Danimal5981
    Alright, let's continue again, shall we?

Happy to see, that my first season in this story has turned out awfully close to the truth (double + UCL semi final). I always like it when the story turns out to be that realistic....
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 23
    At least finish this season, maybe stick another one after it...

We're close to another title and in the Dutch Cup Final. The big question was if Dani Cruijff will stay on another season at Ajax and go for another Champions League run (as you see in real life, it's rare but possible), or does he change tag in the summer of 2020?
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 23
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #47
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 29 of 34)

VNJNILE.png

MATCH

STATS
    llCHa6p.png

uFu8mHh.png

LEAGUE (EREDIVISIE)
    nwXoLHC.png

NM6y7db.png

NVLzDmC.png
  • Danimal5981
    FMouXA7.png
  • DB1512
    Good to see you back and funny to see the parallel between your first season and Ajax in real life now.
  • Danimal5981
    lpzfibK.png
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 25
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #48
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 30 of 34)

K8A1mRO.png

MATCH

STATS
    L6b8QGp.png

zwHF3TS.png

LEAGUE (EREDIVISIE)
    qDhbFDS.png
    Post edited by Danimal5981 on
  • Danimal5981
    f8M24ia.png
  • Danimal5981
    npoa6MP.png
  • subpop
    edited April 26
    Congratulations for the title.

I wonder what are the changes in the squad now. I guess that the pressure to sell players is huge now.

After the sad UCL exit, Ajax may try the miracle again... but with who?
  • Virtual_K
    1700 posts Play-Off Hero
    I missed a lot of this story, but I wanted to wish you luck on the real Ajax next week. I have them picked over Tottenham with what I've seen so far, but it should be a good series.
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Congrats on winning another trophy.

Great to see that Dani will stay until his contract expire, the chance of winning the UCL again remains...
  • Danimal5981
    subpop wrote: »
    Congratulations for the title.

I wonder what are the changes in the squad now. I guess that the pressure to sell players is huge now.

After the sad UCL exit, Ajax may try the miracle again... but with who?

@subpop It's going to be an active summer for sure: but I'll try to stick to players that are being mentioned in real life. So, if you search the web well you'll figure out some of the names :wink:
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I missed a lot of this story, but I wanted to wish you luck on the real Ajax next week. I have them picked over Tottenham with what I've seen so far, but it should be a good series.

@Virtual_K Indeed, these are exciting times and I see them reach the final. However, where Barça would be my dream opponent, I honestly think that in terms of football Ajax would stand a better chance against Liverpool (in a final). But reaching the final in itself is a huge achievement.
    DonGabriel wrote: »
    Congrats on winning another trophy.

@DonGabriel Great to see that Dani will stay until his contract expire, the chance of winning the UCL again remains...

That is going to be one of the main targets next year. And I've learned from real life: Ajax has shifted its resources in a way that they were always top notch in the European games even if that meant a dodgy Eredivisie game once in a while; I think I'll follow that example a bit more than in the first two seasons.

• Danimal5981
    edited April 26
    The first BIG transfer
    Voetbal International (VI) is Holland's largest footy mag, both in print as well as online.

pl68fhs.png
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Congratulations on the title and for staying. Moving to Barca has appeals but staying and trying to win UCL would be more appealing I think.

De Jong going to PSG is big money for the squad. It sucks seeing him go but next man up is what Ajax do.
  • Danimal5981
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the title and for staying. Moving to Barca has appeals but staying and trying to win UCL would be more appealing I think.

De Jong going to PSG is big money for the squad. It sucks seeing him go but next man up is what Ajax do.

@LAboog4 - unfortunately, the second (after Tadic) of many, I fear.
    But my scouts and shortlist are promising (and realistic)... I look forward to next season with good hopes.
  • Virtual_K
    1700 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice magazine graphic. Too bad about De Jong, but it's not like he's going to Barcelona. :o
    How will that affect the team moving forward? Or maybe I should wait for a press conference.
  • DB1512
    Congratulations with the title and good to see Dani stay at Ajax for another season. Michel Vorm can easily take over the second goalkeeper role from Stekelenburg. Fosu-Mensah could be a quality signing, especially because of the different positions he can play at (RB,CB,CDM). Sad to see De Jong leave but I think this is the most realistic option, Marin could be a good replacement and I would also like a Odegaard move to Ajax.
  • Ashy
    9482 posts League Winner
    Congrats on a superb season, good to see you stay on as Ajax manager, the question is can you top this season you just had? Make the UCL final, win it perhaps? Need to keep this squad together as much as possible but refusing the big bucks for these talented players will be difficult.
  • subpop
    The exit of important players was something to expect. Now, hopefully, Ajax isn't fully dismantled and can reinforce the team for the upcoming season. In this sense, Ødegaard seems a very realistic and likely option.
  • Stlducks
    1424 posts Professional
    I scrolled through to catch up from where I left off. Great season and smart choice staying at Ajax. Winning the UCL would make Dani a legend for all time.
  • Danimal5981
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Nice magazine graphic. Too bad about De Jong, but it's not like he's going to Barcelona. :o
    How will that affect the team moving forward? Or maybe I should wait for a press conference.

@Virtual_K A press conference will follow at the turnover to the next season.

DB1512 wrote: »
    Congratulations with the title and good to see Dani stay at Ajax for another season. Michel Vorm can easily take over the second goalkeeper role from Stekelenburg. Fosu-Mensah could be a quality signing, especially because of the different positions he can play at (RB,CB,CDM). Sad to see De Jong leave but I think this is the most realistic option, Marin could be a good replacement and I would also like a Odegaard move to Ajax.

@DB1512 There's a shortlist (close to the real thing). Google transfer rumours and you'll find out who I am in the hunt for.

Ashy wrote: »
    Congrats on a superb season, good to see you stay on as Ajax manager, the question is can you top this season you just had? Make the UCL final, win it perhaps? Need to keep this squad together as much as possible but refusing the big bucks for these talented players will be difficult.

@Ashy Keeping the squad intact is impossible. Besides, Hakim Ziyech has already left, Dusan Tadic and Frenkie de Jong have been sold and there are offers that I can't refuse much longer. We will have to reform.

subpop wrote: »
    The exit of important players was something to expect. Now, hopefully, Ajax isn't fully dismantled and can reinforce the team for the upcoming season. In this sense, Ødegaard seems a very realistic and likely option.

@subpop It is sometimes good to sell, Ajax are also an academy club: not selling the top dogs means they'll be in the way of the talents behind it.

Stlducks wrote: »
    I scrolled through to catch up from where I left off. Great season and smart choice staying at Ajax. Winning the UCL would make Dani a legend for all time.

@Stlducks We go for Legend!...
  • Danimal5981
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #49
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 31 of 34)

yFh3vCe.png

MATCH

STATS
    v6wACo2.png

JuM6AkC.png

LEAGUE (EREDIVISIE)
    VKUqKOD.png
  • subpop
    Despite it's all solved, Ajax keep enjoying their football with another win against the humble Excelsior.

It's still sad to remember how soon the team fell in the Champions League, especially after the brilliant job in the previous season. No shame in that, but well... football always give a new chance.