AJAX | End of Season, End of Story

Comments

• Danimal5981
    2083 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 10
    At Ajax, only a few work with kit numbers of preference;
    Blind (17), Ziyech (22), Onana (24), while Frenkie de Jong (21) always wants a multitude of seven.
    Dusan Tadic (#10) has a contractual clause for him to claim his current number.

In all other cases a change of kit number usually symbolizes the position in the picking order.
    Jens Knudsen, having come in as a youth product last season, now takes over Lasse Schøne's number (#20), while Kasper Dolberg takes the infamous #9 from Klaas Jan Huntelaar. The free transfer newcomers all have been given numbers among the best eighteen: Hazard (#8), Babel (#11) and Ring (#16).

At Ajax, not many take #13, while #14 has been retired and forever belongs to club legend Johan Cruijff.

Mazraoui (#2) swapped with Kristensen (#12) and Tagliafico (#3) with Veltman (#31) and that's bad news for the latter. All numbers from #30 and above are for the youth and/or redundant reserves.

Zakaria Labyad always wants that the digits in his number put together make ten. He went down form #19 to #28 and is the primary victim of the overcapacity on the attacking midfield positions with Van de Beek (#6), Neres (#7), Hazard (#8), Tadic (#10), Babel (#11), Bandé (#18) and even Ziyech (#22)

CTwbAhI.png
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 10
    Alright: last one, before regular season kicks off for ourselves... I think we can book a trip to Stockholm...

fki3LFk.png
  • DB1512
    291 posts Sunday League Hero
    I have read your story during some free time I had the last couple of days and I'm really impressed with the story you have made. Graphically it looks rock solid and neat, with also an eye for detail. I also like the storyline itself, it's very nice to see what you did with Ajax. Good signings for the second season and sadly to see The Hunter hang his boots, one of my favorite players especially when he still played for Heerenveen in the mid zero's. Good luck during the upcoming season starting of with the CL qualification, both AIK and Midtjylland are a hurdle you can take I guess.
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 10
    DB1512 wrote: »
    I have read your story during some free time I had the last couple of days and I'm really impressed with the story you have made. Graphically it looks rock solid and neat, with also an eye for detail. I also like the storyline itself, it's very nice to see what you did with Ajax. Good signings for the second season and sadly to see The Hunter hang his boots, one of my favorite players especially when he still played for Heerenveen in the mid zero's. Good luck during the upcoming season starting of with the CL qualification, both AIK and Midtjylland are a hurdle you can take I guess.

Thanks @DB1512 - And what about Hakim Ziyech? Any sentiment for him? Also a product of Heerenveen, right?

Speaking of which: I was close to signing Michael Bradley and Miralem Sulejmani again but I apply a strict salary cap, plus rules on squad roles and we couldn't agree. That's how I ended up at Alexander Ring and Ryan Babel.

I signed Thorgan Hazard because I expect to loose a prominent attacking midfielder/winger, while the board was prompting me to sign a player in this area with a crucial role (star player).
  • DB1512
    I was at the Heerenveen - Ajax game earlier this season and Ziyech is sort of a persona non grata at the Abe Lenstra Stadium. When he was substituted the home fans were jeering at him because of the thinks he said in the past and the way he forced a transfer to Twente. Since then the relationship between the fans of us and Hakim is stone cold, the fact Hakim puts his finger in front of his lips when he scores against us doesn't make it any better. Bradley and Sulejmani were absolute talents during their time at us, Bradley also made it in Italy while Sulejmani hasn't fulfilled his potential he showed at Heerenveen. Thorgan Hazard is a massive signing who could be a dreamed successor of Ziyech, Lainez is IRL close to an agreement with Ajax and could be another target of you.
  • WestardLord
    1334 posts Professional
    Seems like a really solid squad to start the season.

Also, I'm shamelessly stealing your matchday format ;)
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 10
    Also, I'm shamelessly stealing your matchday format ;)

@WestardLord Yes, I noticed. Hope you're having fun with it :wink:
  • Danimal5981
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #5
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 01/34)

u8bVCGw.png
    CaeD8gZ.png

v68R8wu.png

TZHZWql.png
  • Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    edited January 11
    Perfect start to the season; clean sheet, new signing scoring and last season's top scorer already in the book with a goal.

Ajax need to take advantage of the schedule and start the season strong to show they are the champions.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Nice shoutout to Okariz, his failures are well known, hopefully Real Sociedad are able to climb out of the mess he left them in. 😉

I was about to respond to this... but then I thought that the comment was actually true.
    :D

@Danimal5981 . Congratulations for the Supercup title. The early goal made me think that the game was going to be easier than it actually was.

This time I must say that it seemed a fair victory as Ajax enjoyed the best chances. It was a good idea to forecast the possibility of the extra time. Although it was also a risky decision, if PSV had scored first.

Then good start to the season, a comfortable win at home in Hazard's debut... while the direct rivals still are in Summer holidays.
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 11
    j4czcN9.png
  • DB1512
    Good start of the season and nice to see Hazard score on his debut. You should be able to qualify for the groupstage of the CL against AIK, I think you're the favorite side against them. What do you plan to do with players who most likely will leave Ajax in real life in the summer of 2019 (De Ligt, Ziyech and De Jong)?
  • Danimal5981
    DB1512 wrote: »
    What do you plan to do with players who most likely will leave Ajax in real life in the summer of 2019 (De Ligt, Ziyech and De Jong)?

@DB1512

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/8076241/#Comment_8076241

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/8076242/#Comment_8076242

• Danimal5981
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #6
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 02/34)

xmi1BrU.png
    jDkeMW7.png

fLHYsVp.png

6of4ppI.png
  • subpop
    Sometimes the highlights do not reflect the reality of the game as the video shows that Utrecht looked dangerous in certain moments, especially as the game was far from closed. However, the statistics and the summary say that it wasn't a brilliant victory, but still quite comfortable.

Two games, two victories... I should write something soon.
  • Danimal5981
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #7
    (UEFA Champions League 2019/2020, play offs)

gfzo9bD.png
    yLg5FGF.png

ntPD7nP.png

Rx3Bmcx.png
  • Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    Ajax have been off to a flying start and somehow stepped up their game to a new level in UCL. The defense has 3 straight clean sheets and the most impressive stat to me is the high possession last match. Completely controlled the match.
  • subpop
    Another day in the office. 0-4 and ticket to the next round.
  • JoshDFC
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    Think its safe to say the team will be in the Champions League group stages after such a dominant victory away from home. Hazard has settled in perfectly getting himself a couple of goals in the league
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 12
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Ajax have been off to a flying start and somehow stepped up their game to a new level in UCL. The defense has 3 straight clean sheets and the most impressive stat to me is the high possession last match. Completely controlled the match.
    subpop wrote: »
    Another day in the office. 0-4 and ticket to the next round.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Think its safe to say the team will be in the Champions League group stages after such a dominant victory away from home. Hazard has settled in perfectly getting himself a couple of goals in the league

@subpop @Stlducks @JoshDFC

This game against AIK was the first to satisfaction, though the last two goals came late.

Possession play is good. I would like a bit more effectiveness and efficiency in front of goal. I invested in three players that have good passing, positioning and dribbling - however, I miss a real killer in the box.

And that's the luxury problem now: Dolberg isn't really in form, but David Neres and Donny van de Beek are. But I must play often with most players that were promised a crucial role in the squad (Neres, Ziyech, Hazard and Tadic). In terms of stamina and crossing, Ziyech and Babel are best on the wings.

So you end up with Ziyech-Hazard-Van de Beek-Babel, with either Tadic or Dolberg as striker. But, you always need to sacrifice one or more of those crucial players: Neres and/or Tadic on the bench. On top, Donny van de Beek is THE MAN in form, so that would leave two, possibly three crucial players out. You see: luxury problems...
  • DB1512
    Well on track to qualify for the UCL. It will be interesting to see how you are going to manage the luxury problems you face in your squad. I see Tadic only gets play time from the bench while he was bought as a marquee signing in the summer of 2018.
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 13
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #8
    (Dutch League -EREDIVISIE- Round 03 of 34)

ZC6woq9.png
    3weYE0i.png

P1HFPIw.png

J7En5ga.png
  • subpop
    It was only a 1-0, but Ajax definitely deserved a much important advantage. AZ dropped points, Ajax has been 20 league games unbeaten... Everything goes according to the expectations.
  • Danimal5981
    1cnOwWH.png
  • DB1512
    Based on the stats of the game you deserved more goals. Beside that it looks very impressive, no goals conceded after three games and 20 games unbeaten. Keep it up!
  • Danimal5981
    edited January 13
    Season II, 2019/2020 - Match #9
    (UEFA Champions League 2019/2020, play offs)

nK3Z3X7.png
    AMQnWrh.png

vU65zhM.png

iPq8Y5p.png
  • JoshDFC
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    A perfect start so far for the team I feel this is the season that the team could prove invincible in the league with the quality the team has it is a weak league though so maybe the team can concentrate on Europe not having to really worry to much about a threat
  • WestardLord
    1334 posts Professional
    Wonderful start, and a great introduction into the Champions League. As Josh said, Ajax may be able to afford a shift in focus if their form is so strong.
  • Stlducks
    1341 posts Professional
    Unbeaten in the league would be an amazing accomplishment that this team might be able to achieve. Obviously this would be a very difficult objective and it's early in the season but something to keep an eye on.
  • subpop
    After the 0-4, this game was an administrative task. The 2nd line responded with perfection. Well done.