FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    1...2...3...4...5!

Barcelona 5-1 Real Madrid :D

Very happy with the result, the image of the team and the overall performance. In the first half, Valverde won the tactical battle, as Alba attacked the right side of the rival defense without opposition. Coutinho took Nacho (right full back today) to the center and Bale never followed Jordi Alba, who had a highway. This is how we scored the first goal. The 2nd goal also came from the left side and this time Varane tackled Luis Suárez inside the box... Thanks VAR!! The ref didn't want to see the more than evident penalty. At half time 2-0 and the lesson had been memorable.

I thought that the result was short, considering the circumstances. Lopetegui changed the team to play with a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. He took Varane out to play with 3 CBs (Nacho-Casemiro-Ramos), while Marcelo and Lucas Vázquez were placed in the wings. The tactical change surprised Barcelona and Marcelo scored the 2-1 soon... the reality is that in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, Madrid had enough chances to tie the game, especially a shot of Modric to the post and a header by Benzema.

Thankfully, Valverde reacted and replaced Rafinha, who was in the left wing, for Semedo and placed Sergi Roberto in the right wing to stop Marcelo. It worked and we neutralized Madrid's impulse. Madrid was taking risks and the spaces were big and Sergi Roberto was fundamental to exploit the spaces. What an underrated player. He assisted Luis Suárez for the 3-1.

Then it was easy. Madrid collapsed and we absolutely destroyed a broken Real Madrid and the goals of Luis Suárez and Arturo Vidal closed yet another historic beating.

Perhaps the result was exaggerated after all, but Real Madrid were totally broken in the last 15 minutes. We scored 5 and could have been even more.

Lopetegui is done. According to Marca, Antonio Conte in his way to Madrid... but they sleep 7 points down after 10 days. Life is nice sometimes.

Visca el Barça!!!

DqnFlbxXgAADV_I.jpg

"
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018

So sad to hear. He was one of the good guys in football. Most foreign owners are in it solely for personal gain but he wasn’t, he wanted to improve the community of Leicester. RIP Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha
  • JamieC
    797 posts Semi-Pro
    He is the type of owner you want at a club. Someone who cares about not just the club, but the fans and the community as well as if they were family.

Leicester will always be in his heart, just like he will forever be in their hearts.

RIP Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha
  • Wyojasond
    11226 posts Has That Special Something
    Such a horrible loss. Like you said a man that cared so much about the community as much as the team. Rest In Peace Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. You will be missed
  • Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    Terrible news, a great owner who helped a club make the most unpredictable run you could imagine.

Onto lighter news....@subpop what a day it was for Barca! How much do you think Ronaldo leaving Madrid is factoring into this display or is it most because of the new manager? I hope the rumors of Conte are true and they stay away from Poch for a few more years.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    I think the best story I’ve heard about him is after the club won the PL he celebrated by making a £2 million pound donation to the local hospital and £1 million to the local university for medical research and training at the hospital.

It’s also so nice to hear how he mixed with the fans instead of keeping himself to himself.
  • subpop
    R.I.P. Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha

Definitely a big loss, first of all, for his family and friends, then as other fellow posters said for the club and his community. His legacy in terms of achievements is historic and epic, but as important as it is, probably it's more in other intagible aspects as you guys pointed out.

• Wyojasond
    That pitch is hard to look at for the spurs/city game :D Spurs should be ashamed of themselves for still not having there new stadium ready yet 🤦‍♂️
  • subpop
    Stlducks wrote: »

Onto lighter news....@subpop what a day it was for Barca! How much do you think Ronaldo leaving Madrid is factoring into this display or is it most because of the new manager? I hope the rumors of Conte are true and they stay away from Poch for a few more years.

I don't think there's only one reason for Madrid's collapse. In fact, I believe that the Champions League they won last year hide problems that already existed last season.

A couple of years ago, they won the Double, Liga and Champions League. I think we all know the starting XI they had back then, but they also had James Rodriguez, Kovacic, Morata and a bunch of subs that are high level players. They've been selling all these players in the last couple of years and they didn't cover these departures.

Last year, they had already lost LaLiga in November/December, being 10 points down Barcelona. They had a shocking elimination in LaCopa too. Then they focused in the UCL... which was a lottery they won. Don't get me wrong, their squad is amazing as we all know, but they only focused all their efforts in it. And you only need to have 5 ot 6 good days and some luck to win the UCL. They had both, because I think we all remember the terrible performances of Ullrich in the semis or Karius in the final.

Then Zidane left, but in his departure he already highlighted that the team had problems he was not ready to solve. It's true Zidane created a problem when he left the way he did.

Real Madrid found themselves without a manager and they called Pochettino, Klopp, Allegri, Conte... they all said no and Lopetegui was a desperate move. Lopetegui was raised at Real Madrid's academy and he thought it was the chance of his life, but I believe he should have chosen his cards better. I think Florentino Pérez never liked him and Real Madrid still sold Ronaldo and Kovacic to bring... Vinicius? An 18 year old kid?

The loss of Ronaldo is huge. This guy scores 50 goals per season and he's a true leader and his winning personality was fundamental. You can't replace Ronaldo with anyone, he's special, but Madrid could have tried to reinforce the team with 2 or 3 important players to cover this hole. Let's be honest, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema are good players, but they're far from being top players, IMO. Bale never plays more than 20 games per season and he's irregular. Benzema was never a great scorer, he has other abilties, but scoring is not a strength.

Then add a very tired and declining Modric (he's 33!!) and the poor form of others, like Varane or Ramos... or the constant injuries of Carvajal and Marcelo this season.

It has been the perfect storm.

Real Madrid's squad showed signals of strong declining last year, despite the UCL title, which covered all. I must say I was truly mad when they won, because I knew they were far from being the best team. I must say they still had the players to be the best team in a particular day, but not in an entire season... and let's be honest, they can do it again, because they have a lot of talent... and they have a winning DNA that no one else have, as much as it hurts. Their shirt impose a lot of respect.

So Lopetegui has his rate of responsibility, but the main problem is in the design of the squad and this is the club's fault.

I don't know if Conte will end up signing. Now from here to June anything can happen. If Conte, Solari or whoever can take the best of this team again, who knows? If not, Pochettino will be in the bets of everyone. He knows LaLiga, he's anti-Culé... and he's a good manager. At this point, I can't figure out what will happen there.
  • Ashy
    9554 posts League Winner
    Arsene Wenger to Real Madrid heard it here first
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    Still think Poch might go to RM. Spurs will go through a fallow period like Arsenal when they move into the new stadium. Poch won’t want to wait that out.
  • Wyojasond
    Yeah Pochs comments lately seem to be pointing towards him angling for an out. RM will have to pay through the teeth to get him though
  • Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    Yeah Pochs comments lately seem to be pointing towards him angling for an out. RM will have to pay through the teeth to get him though

I don't think Spurs should be ashamed, they can't control contractors missing deadlines and they had deals/agreements in place with contractors saying the stadium would be ready. It's a bad situation and a backup plan better than Wembley should have been in place but I don't blame be Spurs for the stadium delay.

Poch's comments lately seemed to be towards management to spend money this window. He does this every time right before the transfer window, remember the end of last year he said they must spend and everyone said poch is giving Levy an ultimatum? Same tango this time. I'm not saying he won't leave because everyone knows he will go to Madrid eventually but I don't think he's ready yet. If the pressure at Tottenham is getting to him, he will crumble in a year at Madrid.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator

Given the debt the stadium will put Spurs in, I think they’ll accept a bit less money just to cover some of it.
  • Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    Alastair wrote: »

Given the debt the stadium will put Spurs in, I think they’ll accept a bit less money just to cover some of it.

I'd go the opposite, if Madrid want Poch and Kane make them pay for 3/4 of the stadium. 😀
  • subpop
    I guess Pochettino is crazy to go to Real Madrid, although he shouldn't make the same mistakes of Lopetegui.

Julen Lopetegui was the manager of the Spanish FA and he signed with Real Madrid only 2 weeks after he had signed a renewal with the Spanish NT. And he signed for Madrid at the back of the Spanish FA in a very ugly move, which costed him the position.

He should have known that Florentino Pérez is a man that triturate managers. Lopetegui had a great and desired position and threw it all to the garbage to join Real Madrid, even knowing that he was the 5th or 6th option. Everyone knew it!! Lopetegui acted as a fan, not as a serious man. 4 months later, he has nothing, as he never got the respect of Florentino, who never wanted him anyway.

Pochettino? Well, he showed to be a competent manager. But look how Conte's signing has been stopped. Conte requested a mid term contract and the signing of a central back and a striker in the short term. That is, Conte has sent a message: if you want to make me responsible for the results, this is what I want to be responsible. If you want me as a tool to reach next summer, look for someone else.

So Pochettino should know the kind of president he's going to find and value his options. Real Madrid is a tempting place, but Florentino will always kill the manager as soon as there are two bad results. Unlike Zidane, Pochettino is not a Real Madrid legend, so he won't be backed by "the people". If I were him, I would think about it twice and I would ask for the due respect for a manager of certain level.
  • dannyboy
    12805 posts Has That Special Something

How many in the starting eleven though
  • Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    dannyboy wrote: »

How many in the starting eleven though

Recently Rashford, Linegard and McTominay are the only ones I can think of.
  • dannyboy
    12805 posts Has That Special Something
    Remember that Barcelona started 11 La Masia players a few years ago against Levante I think
  • subpop
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Remember that Barcelona started 11 La Masia players a few years ago against Levante I think

Yes... It wasn't that long ago, but lately our managers didn't look much at La Masia. Sad.
  • Wyojasond
    Pogba is technically an academy player too. I think him playing was all that kept it going not long ago. Not totally sure on that though
  • Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    Pogba is technically an academy player too. I think him playing was all that kept it going not long ago. Not totally sure on that though

I forgot he was there before going to Juve. Good call.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    Just saw the second longest is Everton at just 22 years.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    This looks like it'll be a good watch.

• Stlducks
    1438 posts Professional
    Not sure if others have known this already but there is a way around the "loan" glitch that makes it so players can never go on loan. I saw a video about it a few days ago and have had 4 players go on loan now that I know how to work around the glitch.

If you have a player on the loan list and an offer comes for him. Accept the loan offer, remove the player from the loan list and add him to the transfer list. The loan will then go through.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    That European Super League is quite possibly the biggest **** you to fans ever. Reckon if it happened most clubs would be crawling back begging to be let back in within a decade (should start them in the 10th tier :joy:)

It says a lot about how stupid the idea is that every British fan I’ve seen on twitter who supports the mentioned clubs is against it yet every Indian fan is in favour.

How’s it gone down in everyone else’s countries?
  • subpop
    That European Super League is quite possibly the biggest **** you to fans ever. Reckon if it happened most clubs would be crawling back begging to be let back in within a decade (should start them in the 10th tier :joy:)

It says a lot about how stupid the idea is that every British fan I’ve seen on twitter who supports the mentioned clubs is against it yet every Indian fan is in favour.

How’s it gone down in everyone else’s countries?

For now just the news... I think we have heard to this story so many times that noone really takes it seriously yet. I don't think there is a real idea of what would really happen. I personally have mixed feelings about it.

In a certain way I am truly sick of FIFA and UEFA as I see them as corrupt parasites in football. But I also grew up in a different kind of football and I don't like to see the current differences between rich and poor clubs and leagues.

I must say that the Premier League is seen as big enemy. We have seen smaller leagues fall, but the economic power of the Premier League is so big that we feel that Southampton can make more TV money than Barcelona or Madrid soon and some don't want to wait and see.

In fact I believe that this is promoted by the Spanish giant clubs just as it happened with basketball and the fall of FIBA.

Personally I am not against it... although it depends on how it is done.

If you ask me, I wouldn't mind to see an European league with promotion and relegation. That is, to replicate the domestic model at European level. Then we can talk about which would be the way to create the different tiers. However I am fully against a closed league following the American model.

On paper it looks like the Superleague replaces the Champions League, but not the domestic leagues. And let's be honest, I am sick of seeing UEFA stealing from the clubs the money they don't deserve.

In Spain this is part of the anecdote. Here the noise is around PSG and Man City. Since long ago there's a crusade against these 2 clubs because it is evident they are cheating. We are surprised to see how tolerant the Premier League and Ligue 1 were with this kind of ownership. But more surprising was that UEFA didn't see anything wrong at European level. Now we know that the corrupt UEFA with Platini and Infantino jumped over the negative reports... and they keep doing nothing against the state-clubs.

If we mix both stories, I don't mind to see the end of UEFA and FIFA and rethink football without them.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    An interesting point of view @subpop. I agree it’s been talked about so much so probably won’t happen but it’s still worrying to hear (every other stupid idea which was ruled out has been long forgotten e.g. PL’s 39th game idea).

My view on the La Liga TV deal is they’d get more if RM and Barca were less greedy. If the league is competitive and any team can beat any other team (like the PL is) then broadcasters are always going to pay more because people will watch every match not just RM/Barca’s. Obviously to get a more competitive league you need more money for the smaller teams.

Out of interest @subpop, do you attend matches? I find it strange that any supporter of a club would want this. Rather than having away trips no more than a few hours drive away you’d have away trips where the nearest one was a few hours flight. The costs of supporting would sky rocket and the attendances would plummet. It’d be a TV only league.

Personally I think football is fine with the current set up of domestic and the continental above it. If they really want to fix football they should completely revamp the UCL/EL to make it somewhere in between the current format and that of the EC/CWC pre-1995 format. They could even scrap the groups stages completely and have a straight knockout.

Whilst I think the FFP stuff is stupid and there is no way Scott/PSG should be allowed to do that, I do find the bit about wanting to see the end of UEFA/FIFA because they’re corrupt corrupt funny. The whole point of this ESL is the big clubs being corrupt. It’s there way to get more money yet given they want less FFP rules it’s lead to only a couple of clubs competing every year. It’d be less competitive than La Liga. Football will always have people taking a lot of money and imo it’s better than the organisations running it are the ones taking too much money than having a system where a handful of clubs pocket all the money to make it a monopoly.
  • Wyojasond
    Man Bournemouth pissed that victory away. Should’ve put it away in the first 30 minutes. They were just exhausted at the end of that. Credit to United....finding ways to win right now