FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• dannyboy
    12886 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 2019
  • Wyojasond
    14241 posts Has That Special Something
    Other major sports though you can easily have Top stars skip international games. There’s always a college kid ready to step in and show what he’s got and you don’t have a major drop off, especially basketball.

Hockey is probably the only other sport in the world I’d say that is anywhere close to being ridiculous about international duties like football (soccer) is.
  • Stlducks
    2028 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think it is a cultural thing too. I remember a few years ago some US players missed the gold cup due to fatigue and nobody cared. Probably because in the states International games outside of the Olympics and World Cup are not as important.
  • Wyojasond
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I think it is a cultural thing too. I remember a few years ago some US players missed the gold cup due to fatigue and nobody cared. Probably because in the states International games outside of the Olympics and World Cup are not as important.

So much this.
  • Alastair
    10211 posts Moderator
    Alastair wrote: »
    I'm usually one of the firsts that loves to laugh at Klopp for his excuses but he is right on with his comments on the schedule. It is becoming redicoulous with International games and so many extra competitons. Mane's season just ended and it lasted 13 months with UCL and International games. Now he has 2 weeks off and starts the Premier league.

There are too many International games IMO where it doesn't even feel special to have a player called up anymore.

For the Premier League they should do away with the League Cup and just have the CA Cup, league and European games.

It’s ridiculous anymore. Liverpool will potentially be in 7 competitions this season and the governing bodies just want to add more and more each year. Feel bad for the players. They all deserve time off.

How do you get 7? You're not counting the UEFA Super Cup as a competiton are you? :joy:

While the Super Cup and Community shield aren’t real competitions like the other ones, they are still extra games and Tin Pot trophies.
    1. Premier League
    2. Champions League
    3. FA Cup
    4. League Cup
    5. FIBA World Cup (although still waiting word on this)
    6. Super Cup
    7. Community Shield

One match competitions don't really count imo as you just play less preseason friendlies. That's all they are.

FIBA World Cup? Didn't know Liverpool played basketball :trollface:

😂😂😂 don’t know why it auto corrected to that 🤦‍♂️

While I do agree that the one match competitions aren’t huge deals, they still count and this year both are against top rivals in City and Chelsea. Community shield 4 days before the season opener and the Super Cup 4 days after that. Makes the season opening beyond hectic.

4 days before? Why is your season opener mid-week?
  • Ashy
    10842 posts Has That Special Something
    I'm usually one of the firsts that loves to laugh at Klopp for his excuses but he is right on with his comments on the schedule. It is becoming redicoulous with International games and so many extra competitons. Mane's season just ended and it lasted 13 months with UCL and International games. Now he has 2 weeks off and starts the Premier league.

There are too many International games IMO where it doesn't even feel special to have a player called up anymore.

For the Premier League they should do away with the League Cup and just have the CA Cup, league and European games.

It’s ridiculous anymore. Liverpool will potentially be in 7 competitions this season and the governing bodies just want to add more and more each year. Feel bad for the players. They all deserve time off.

How do you get 7? You're not counting the UEFA Super Cup as a competiton are you? :joy:

While the Super Cup and Community shield aren’t real competitions like the other ones, they are still extra games and Tin Pot trophies.
    1. Premier League
    2. Champions League
    3. FA Cup
    4. League Cup
    6. Super Cup
    7. Community Shield

One match competitions don't really count imo as you just play less preseason friendlies. That's all they are.

While I do agree that the one match competitions aren’t huge deals, they still count and this year both are against top rivals in City and Chelsea. Community shield 4 days before the season opener and the Super Cup 4 days after that. Makes the season opening beyond hectic.

Community shield is 3pm Sunday, Liverpool kick off the season Friday 8pm I think so a little over 5 days but yeah still plenty of time to prepare and play the best eleven
  • Stlducks
    Ashy wrote: »

1. Premier League
    2. Champions League
    3. FA Cup
    4. League Cup
    6. Super Cup
    7. Community Shield

Community shield is 3pm Sunday, Liverpool kick off the season Friday 8pm I think so a little over 5 days but yeah still plenty of time to prepare and play the best eleven

I would call that 4 days. Don't count the gamedays.. But I can see how people see it either way.

The point still stands though, the community shield and Super Cup are two extra games to prepare for. Not only physically but it is mentally draining to play twice a week right off the bat.

Hopefully this means Liverpool drop points in the league. 😃
  • Wyojasond
    Ashy wrote: »

1. Premier League
    2. Champions League
    3. FA Cup
    4. League Cup
    6. Super Cup
    7. Community Shield

For some reason I was thinking the Community Shield was on a Monday. Either way it’s a busy first week for us. Especially with almost all of our starters taking part in International competitions.
  • Danimal5981
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    Meanwhile in Europe, three Polish teams coin three wins. It's been a long time since I've seen that. Especially Lechia Gdansk beating Brøndbÿ from Denmark is noteworthy here. And Rangers, Frankfurt, PSV and Basel have also kicked of their European campaigns, djezz that's early.
  • Wyojasond
    Meanwhile in Europe, three Polish teams coin three wins. It's been a long time since I've seen that. Especially Lechia Gdansk beating Brøndbÿ from Denmark is noteworthy here. And Rangers, Frankfurt, PSV and Basel have also kicked of their European campaigns, djezz that's early.

Yeah I think the first qualifiers were like 10 days ago. Just crazy
  • Danimal5981
    edited July 2019
    NL Dutch Eredivisie - who? Of course, I am biased..., but PSV has lost little and gained quality.

AJAX
    In: CB E Álvarez (America), LWB/LM L Martinez (Defensa), LW/CA Q Promes (Sevilla), CDM R Marin (Standard), CB/LB K Pierie (Heerenveen)
    Out: F de Jong (Barca), M de Ligt (Juve), M Wöber (Sevilla), D Sinkgraven (Bayer 04), R Kristensen (RB Salzburg)

PSV
    In: LW Bruma (RB Leipzig), CB T Baumgartl (Stuttgart), LB O Bascagli (Nice), CAM/RW I Afellay (Stoke)
    Out: L de Jong (Sevilla), Angelino (Man C)

FEYENOORD
    In: RW L Narsingh (Swansea), CM L Fer (Swansea), CDM L Kelly (Reading), GK N Marsman (Utrecht)
    Out: T Vilhena (Krasnodar), Clasie (AZ Alkmaar), Van Persie (retired)
  • Wyojasond
    NL Dutch Eredivisie - who? Of course, I am biased..., but PSV has lost little and gained quality.

AJAX
    In: CB E Álvarez (America), LWB/LM L Martinez (Defensa), LW/CA Q Promes (Sevilla), CDM R Marin (Standard), CB/LB K Pierie (Heerenveen)
    Out: F de Jong (Barca), M de Ligt (Juve), M Wöber (Sevilla), D Sinkgraven (Bayer 04), R Kristensen (RB Salzburg)

PSV
    In: LW Bruma (RB Leipzig), CB T Baumgartl (Stuttgart), LB O Bascagli (Nice), CAM/RW I Afellay (Stoke)
    Out: L de Jong (Sevilla), Angelino (Man C)

FEYENOORD
    In: RW L Narsingh (Swansea), CM L Fer (Swansea), CDM L Kelly (Reading), GK N Marsman (Utrecht)
    Out: T Vilhena (Krasnodar), Clasie (AZ Alkmaar), Van Persie (retired)

PSV has added more than I expected them too. Still Ajax should comfortably win the league again. Obviously losing two generational talents like De Ligt and De Jong won’t be easy but they have done a masterful job in adding some great young players to there squad again. Really hope they can make another CL run.
  • Danimal5981
    Atletico giving Real a 7:3 thrashing (was 6:1 at a given point). Boiling the water hot early, I'd say.
  • Stlducks
    Arsenal are close to signing Pepe. Just what they needed, a very expensive winger to make up for the CB and LB issues...
  • Wyojasond
    Atletico giving Real a 7:3 thrashing (was 6:1 at a given point). Boiling the water hot early, I'd say.

Yeah it’s been a rough preseason for Real so far. I half expected Bale to come on and tear his ACL and ruin his move to China 😂
    Arsenal are close to signing Pepe. Just what they needed, a very expensive winger to make up for the CB and LB issues...

While I agree they need a CB now, it’ll be impressive if they pull off this Pepe deal. Coming out of nowhere. I don’t rate him that much (haven’t seen him a whole lot either) but they do need a winger and if they ever stop fooling around with Tierny they’ll have a very solid window.
  • Stlducks

Yeah it’s been a rough preseason for Real so far. I half expected Bale to come on and tear his ACL and ruin his move to China 😂

While I agree they need a CB now, it’ll be impressive if they pull off this Pepe deal. Coming out of nowhere. I don’t rate him that much (haven’t seen him a whole lot either) but they do need a winger and if they ever stop fooling around with Tierny they’ll have a very solid window.

I feel like I'm having the same conversations with my Arsenal friends that I had when they bought Aubameyang. Very good player that will score but with that defense I do not see much improvement.

The response is the same too. "We are building and will buy defenders soon" 😀

The way Real are treating Bale, I hope they collapse and he goes somewhere and is amazing.
  • Wyojasond

I feel like I'm having the same conversations with my Arsenal friends that I had when they bought Aubameyang. Very good player that will score but with that defense I do not see much improvement.

The response is the same too. "We are building and will buy defenders soon" 😀

The way Real are treating Bale, I hope they collapse and he goes somewhere and is amazing.

Sounds like a deal is in place in China. He’s set to earn 1m a week 😳🤯

Arsenal remind me of Liverpool a few years ago. Horrendous defense and they are just going to try and run everyone off the scoreboard. Saliba is a solid signing and don’t even have a major issue they loaned him back.

They get Pepe and Tierny and I think they’ll push Spurs for third. They really need there midfielders and defenders to take a big step up though.
  • Ashy
    edited July 2019
    Our defence isn't amazing but it will be much better this season than last if our main 4 stay fit. If we buy Tierney which I think we will. We only just missed out on top 3 with this shambolic defence...

AMN - Sokratis - Koscielny - Mustafi/Monreal - Kolasinac

Due to Bellerin and Holding missing most of the season we had to switch to this to accommodate the wing backs because they are poor defensively and pack the defence with average centre-backs to partner Sokratis.

Next season we will be playing a back 4 allowing our full-backs to do the same job as the wing backs but also track back and defend well, this will allow us to play with an extra midfielder and control the game more.

Bellerin - Sokratis - Holding - Tierney

I agree we could have done spending the Pepe money on a top centre-back like Upamecano or Ruben Dias but we bought Saliba for next season and have faith in Holding to return back to his best form before he was injured. We needed a RW to allow us to use both wings effectively because last season we had Mkhitaryan/Ramsey/Ozil/Iwobi playing there out of position and it wasn't working, we became predictable attacking through the left or middle.

People will be surprised with our defence if all stay fit just you watch. It's not on the level of Liverpool or City or even Spurs but it's better than Chelsea and similar to Utd if they get Maguire. I don't rate Ole or Lamps that much either so I think top 4 is very likely this season for us.
  • Danimal5981
    edited July 2019
    Ajax is playing PSV for the Johan Cruijff Shield: 1-0 after 35 seconds...

Currently playing (not everybody fit/back from holidays or tournaments)

Onana
    Veltman, Schuurs, Martinez, Dest
    Blind, Marin
    Van de Beek
    Tadic, Dolberg, Promes

Ajax immediately announced their squad and kit numbers: promotion for Perr Schuurs!

#1 GK Bruno Varela (Por), #2 CB Perr Schuurs (Ned), #3 RCB Joel Veltman (Ned),
    #4 CB/CDM Edson Alvarez (Mex), #5 LB Kik Pierie (Ned), #6 CM Donny van de Beek (Ned),
    #7 RW David Neres (Bra), #8 CDM Carel Eiting (Ned), #9 ST Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ned),

#10 CA Dusan Tadic (Srv), #11 LW Quincy Promes (Ned), #12 RB/CM Noussair Mazraoui (Mor),
    #16 CB Lisandro Magallan (Arg), #17 CB/LB/CDM Daley Blind (Ned), #18 CM Razvan Marin (Rom),
    #19 LW Zakaria Labyad (Mor), #20 CM Lasse Schone (Den), #21 LCB Lissandro Martinez (Arg),

#22 CAM/RW Hakim Ziyech (Mor), #24 GK Andre Onana (Cam), #25 ST Kasper Dolberg (Den),
    #26 CAM Jurgen Ekkelenkamp (Ned), #27 CAM/LW Noa Lang (Ned), #28 LWB Sergiño Dest (Usa),
    #30 CM Dani de Wit (Ned), #31 LB Nicolas Tagliafico (Arg), #33 GK Dominik Kotarski (Cro),

#xx GK Kjell Scherpen (Ned), #xx CA Hassane Bandé (Bfa), #xx ST Lassina Traore (Bfa),
    #xx CM Siem de Jong (Ned), #xx GK Benjamin van Leer (Ned), #xx CDM Ryan Gravenberch (Ned)

• Danimal5981
    edited July 2019
    First competitive game: Ajax - PSV 2:0. Season opened, first trophy is in, game on!

I have to say with Perr Schuurs and Lisandro Martinez in the defensive centre, we don't really miss Matthijs de Ligt. In fact, Perr Schuurs is his copy it seems.

And the youth revelation appears to be left wing back Dutch-American Sergino Dest, although once Nicolas Tagliafico is match fit he might want to focus on the right wing back position. However, with Dest as another option as right wing back, Noussair Mazraoui might return to his original midfield.

On midfield, Razvan Marin definitely is not a Frenkie de Jong; That guy surely will be missed. But that's why positioning Blind as the controlling midfielder was such a good move. Routine, calm, good pass and overview, able to sink in as additional defender when needed.

All in all, I expected a greater fall back by Ajax. It all appeared a bit uneasy, particularly Promes and Marin. But we played the ball with a great ease. Having seen this game, I am actually expecting much of the same as last season. Meaning: with a nice draw, we might be doing nice things in Europe once more. And if PSV does not improve, we ought to get the league title unopposed.
  • Stlducks
    I didn't watch the match but did hear a short review on Sirius, PSV sounded like they were closer to full fitness yet still were outmatched by Ajax.

I think Ajax take the league with ease. Domestic Cup I think they win but anything can happen in a one off.
  • Danimal5981
    I didn't watch the match but did hear a short review on Sirius, PSV sounded like they were closer to full fitness yet still were outmatched by Ajax.

I think Ajax take the league with ease. Domestic Cup I think they win but anything can happen in a one off.

Fill me in: what's Sirius?
  • Wyojasond

Sirius/XM radio 😉
  • Stlducks

Sirius/XM radio 😉

Correct. Not sure if it is available world wide or not but Sirius XM radio has sports channels to listen to that covers more than our normal radio stations cover here in the states. They give quick recaps and summaries of matches on some of their programs.

Not as good as podcasts but it is nice to listen to on drives.
  • Stlducks
    What would be a good guess for where Chris Hughton goes next? If he managered anywhere.. I'm thinking of doing a career as him and was thinking a team like QPR to start.
  • Ashy
    What would be a good guess for where Chris Hughton goes next? If he managered anywhere.. I'm thinking of doing a career as him and was thinking a team like QPR to start.

A Championship team such as QPR, Blackburn, Nottingham, Sheffield Wednesday
  • Alastair
    10211 posts Moderator

Sirius/XM radio 😉

Correct. Not sure if it is available world wide or not but Sirius XM radio has sports channels to listen to that covers more than our normal radio stations cover here in the states. They give quick recaps and summaries of matches on some of their programs.

Think it's only available at an extortionate price. They have all the Cardinals matches but it's something like £40 a month to listen which isn't worth it.

I'll never understand the US concept of paying for radio.
  • Wyojasond

Sirius/XM radio 😉

Think it's only available at an extortionate price. They have all the Cardinals matches but it's something like £40 a month to listen which isn't worth it.

It’s only like $10-15 a month here I think. We use it quite a bit for the car and with our Alexa devices. They changed it recently too so you can stream it on your phones and iPads as well.

Works great for sports. I listen to the football Channel in the morning and they have some great shows like Grumpy Pundits.
  • Alastair
    10211 posts Moderator
    edited July 2019

Sirius/XM radio 😉

It’s only like $10-15 a month here I think. We use it quite a bit for the car and with our Alexa devices. They changed it recently too so you can stream it on your phones and iPads as well.

Works great for sports. I listen to the football Channel in the morning and they have some great shows like Grumpy Pundits.

I guess you have to drive longer distances than we do so it’s a bit more crucial.

All radio is free here which is good especially as sport is split over two companies. Most of my football comes from radio not TV. Sometimes I actually prefer radio to TV.
  • Danimal5981
    edited July 2019
    Various sources indicate FIFA 20 is also set to lose the Brazilian league and the Allianz Arena of FC Bayern / 1860 München, putting those two teams in the same situation as Barcelona in FIFA 19.

For many of us here of little influence, but that could influence large chunks of both the South-American and the German football gaming market.