FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Wyojasond
    10184 posts Has That Special Something
    Well, that was a little revenge I'd say: Netherlands 3 - 1 England (AET) with De Ligt making scoring after causing a penalty. But man, Walker and Stones are so bad on the ball: epic ball loss....

Always amazes me that Walker and Stones are regulars for City. Feel like both are such liabilities. Shows the talent around them there that you usually only see there faults on the international stage. Cancelo seems on his way to City though so Walker may be done soon.

Great win by the Dutch yesterday. Watching De Jong was amazing. That kid is on another level. Barca got a true player there. Same for De Ligt. Doesn’t seem natural that he’s only 19. Kid is such a beast and he pairs perfectly with VVD. Really hope a miracle happens and he comes to Anfield this summer.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    @Wyojasond sorry can't help with the golf clubs. I have only gone golfing twice in my life and am terrible at it. I'm sure as I get older and have to stop playing other sports I'll pick up golfing and practice more.

I enjoy watching Walker make mistakes now. Same mistakes he always made at Spurs but when he went to City people think he became better. Really he is just around great players and rarely attacked because teams sit back against them. Playing for England he is exposed.

I hope Portugal win Sunday. I don't know the line but in my eyes Portugal are the underdogs, Netherlands are that good.
  • Wyojasond
    Stlducks wrote: »
    @Wyojasond sorry can't help with the golf clubs. I have only gone golfing twice in my life and am terrible at it. I'm sure as I get older and have to stop playing other sports I'll pick up golfing and practice more.

I enjoy watching Walker make mistakes now. Same mistakes he always made at Spurs but when he went to City people think he became better. Really he is just around great players and rarely attacked because teams sit back against them. Playing for England he is exposed.

I hope Portugal win Sunday. I don't know the line but in my eyes Portugal are the underdogs, Netherlands are that good.

Personally I think Portugal are favorites. That team is stacked with great players right now and any team with Ronaldo is a threat. Netherlands attack will need to make the most of there chances I feel like, because Portugal is going to dictate the game. Although De Jong might just take over the midfield with Wijnaldum again and prove me wrong 😂
  • Danimal5981
    2094 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 8
    Thoughts? I personally think, from the viewpoint of fairness, he's spot on. I think it's arrogant that the whole focus on the Premier League and the Spanish top 3 justifies those leagues being automatically qualified for the Champions League: that's 12 seeds vaporized...

Edwin van der Sar (vice-chairman European Club Association, also Director of AFC Ajax) - The ex Holland keeper, in his column with The Times newspaper, took the opportunity to denounce the organization of the Champions League, in his belief that the competition unfairly benefits teams from the top five European leagues at the expense of others. He later repeated the extent of his words, this time quoted by Italian media.

"Not everyone is born in London or Manchester. We ought to give more space to champions of smaller countries such as Netherlands, Poland, Greece, Scotland and Turkey in order for them to become and stay competitive.

Ajax won the double and made it to the semis in the Champions League after a final two years ago in the Europa League But next year, we have to start from scratch. That's not right. Nobody has been able to explain to me how in all fairness the number four of Spain or England has more rights to enter a Champions League than the champion of Austria or Sweden."

Andrea Agnelli (chairman of ECA, Director of Juventus FC) added to that: "I see it as a protectionism of the big five leagues vis-a-vis the rest of European football."

A good sign was that the chairmen of the top 6 of the English Premier League were present. It was previously throught that a bigger or fairer Champions League would threaten the exposure and money cycle in the English Premier League: the main issue is to reform the Champions League into 4 groups of 8 teams, with 3/4 of the field being champions only.
  • DB1512
    291 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think it is harsh for Ajax that they need to play qualifiers for the UCL despite a last four spot this year, but I don't believe the UCL will become more attractive if the champions from the lower leagues automatically get a group stage spot. I.e., I personally prefer to watch a game between Liverpool and Napoli in the groupstage than the Polish champion facing the Greek champion. I think Ajax is one of the only exceptions of lower league teams who made it till the quarterfinal/semifinals.
  • Danimal5981
    edited June 8
    DB1512 wrote: »
    I think it is harsh for Ajax that they need to play qualifiers for the UCL despite a last four spot this year, but I don't believe the UCL will become more attractive if the champions from the lower leagues automatically get a group stage spot. I.e., I personally prefer to watch a game between Liverpool and Napoli in the groupstage than the Polish champion facing the Greek champion. I think Ajax is one of the only exceptions of lower league teams who made it till the quarterfinal/semifinals.

Okay, but the question was, if from a fairness point of view a champion deserves it more than the number 4 of a bigger league, not what ones preference is: sure, Liverpool - Napoli is more attractive, but is it also deserved, or justified? Or at least, that a champion ought to have an easier route into the main tournament than the number 3 or 4 from bigger leagues? It would make for a killer elimination round.
  • Alastair
    9936 posts Moderator
    Just merge all the the European competitions into one straight knockout cup.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    I don't think it is fair any league champion has to play qualifying games. If the Champions League is the league of "Champions" then every champion should at least start in the group stage. I'm ok putting them in pot 3 or 4 but that should be it.

• DB1512
    291 posts Sunday League Hero
    From some perspective it is harsh a champion has to qualify for the main tournament by qualifying games but simply putting all champions into the main tournament isn't an option I think. 55 national associations are linked with the UEFA, if you place them all in the main tournament you will have a very large tournament. Recent years have shown that the third and fourth teams of big leagues reach further in the tournament than lower league champions with an exception for Ajax this year (despite not being the reigning champions this season).
  • Danimal5981
    How about a 48 team format: 8 groups, 6 teams

The 24 best coefficient champions go straight in.
    The other 24 are divided for qualifying between 16 non-champion spots, 8 smaller champion spots

They meet each other only once in the group stage, so there's only 5 rounds.
    Instead the top half of each group advances which creates a best of 32 knock-out round.
    A club reaching the final would've played 5 + 8 + the final = 14 European games (now 13)
  • Ashy
    8872 posts League Winner
    edited June 8
    Money

Nobody is going to watch let's say 2nd/3rd place French side Lille v the 17th best champion of their league let's say that's a Norwegian team or something. There are probably about 12 good enough Champions for UCL not 24

It's in UEFAs best interest to have the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Lille, Leipzig, Valencia, Inter and so on, basically many 3rd and 4th teams in the big leagues rather than the champion of Cyprus and Slovakia
  • Wyojasond
    Money will win the day, which is why the whole super league is even being discussed. Praying that never comes to fruition.

I do agree a bit that Champions shouldn’t have to go through so much to qualify for the Champions League. 4th place in the bigger leagues I think should always have to take that route, but at the end of the day you can generally say that the 4th place team in England, Spain or Germany would win the titles in these other leagues.

I know a lot of the placement is based off of a countries standing. Like how England a few years ago was farther down so 4th had to go through qualifying but after the last few years 4th is guaranteed. Is any stock taken into a teams world ranking? Surely Ajax are a top 20-25 team that shouldn’t have to go through qualifying.
  • dannyboy
    12779 posts Has That Special Something
    Just include teams from all UEFA countries and have a big knockout tournament.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    Get rid of Europa and have a 64 team tourny. NCAA bball style..

Tragic news about Justin Edinburgh. Way too young for something like that to happen.
  • Ashy
    8872 posts League Winner
    They wont do a straight knockout competition because of money too, they bleed the group stages dry with 2 fixtures with each team and then 2 leg knockouts for the last 16 teams. If you do straight 64 team knockouts you lose a whole lot of tv revenue and less money for UEFA and clubs.
  • Danimal5981
    Surely Ajax are a top 20-25 team that shouldn’t have to go through qualifying.

The problem is that clubs are depending on their country's coefficient. So Ajax are currently top 20, but because of poor results by Dutch teams overall, the champion of the Netherlands needs to go through two qualifying rounds.

I think a seeding system might do the trick. By early June, all teams are known: the best 16 that qualified for Champions League, as well as the best 24 for Europa League qualify for the group stages. The bottom half plays qualies.

So according to that system, the 16 to have qualified directly for UCL would be:

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Atlético,
    Juventus, Man City, PSG, Liverpool,
    Chelsea, Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar,
    Spurs, Zenit, Ajax, Benfica,

So teams as Genk, Valencia, Inter, Atalanta, Leipzig, Leverkusen, Lille and Galatasaray (who are now in) would have to play qualies...
  • Wyojasond
    Surely Ajax are a top 20-25 team that shouldn’t have to go through qualifying.

The problem is that clubs are depending on their country's coefficient. So Ajax are currently top 20, but because of poor results by Dutch teams overall, the champion of the Netherlands needs to go through two qualifying rounds.

I think a seeding system might do the trick. By early June, all teams are known: the best 16 that qualified for Champions League, as well as the best 24 for Europa League qualify for the group stages. The bottom half plays qualies.

So according to that system, the 16 to have qualified directly for UCL would be:

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Atlético,
    Juventus, Man City, PSG, Liverpool,
    Chelsea, Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar,
    Spurs, Zenit, Ajax, Benfica,

So teams as Genk, Valencia, Inter, Atalanta, Leipzig, Leverkusen, Lille and Galatasaray (who are now in) would have to play qualies...

This is how I would like to see it, over your countries standing.

To be fair though, had Ajax not lost in the last second to Spurs, it would have been back to back finals that teams from the qualifying groups made it to the final. (Liverpool had to go through one round of qualifying two years ago)
  • Wyojasond
  • Alastair
    9936 posts Moderator
    The most important news today is this.

Career Mode is the first mode to be announced which hopefully means it's the mode with the biggest news.
  • Wyojasond
    Also a new mode being introduced called “Volta”. Gives a streetball option where you can customize players, and has tons of crazy places to play. Streets of Spain, London cage, and Tokyo rooftop to name a few.

Now we just wait for the inevitable bad news about no CM changes 😂
  • Alastair
    9936 posts Moderator
    Also a new mode being introduced called “Volta”. Gives a streetball option where you can customize players, and has tons of crazy places to play. Streets of Spain, London cage, and Tokyo rooftop to name a few.

CM definitely has changes. See my last post.
  • Wyojasond
    Alastair wrote: »

Must have been posting at the same time 😂
  • Alastair
    9936 posts Moderator
    Alastair wrote: »

Must have been posting at the same time 😂

Yeah, we did. :smiley:
  • JamieC
    785 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 8
    I'm not getting any hopes up. I'm pretty sure we thought we were getting CM changes in FIFA 19 and all we got was Champions League.

Also, I feel it's more "Saving the best for last" as CM and Pro Clubs seem to be first before they talk about their cash cow UT and then finally their new mode. :frowning:
  • Wyojasond
    Some of the new gameplay additions look good. Better free kicks and more reward for manual defense as opposed to letting the computer do everything.

• Ashy
    8872 posts League Winner
    It's good to see Career Mode basically first on the list but like you say they look like they are saving the best reveals to last, UT and their new sparkling mode.

Pitch notes doesn't mean much either they had a page with all the career mode changes last year and there was quite a bit on to be fair, not all directly CM changes but stuff that played a big part but we cant judge until the end of July I guess I know I'm not expecting much
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional
    @Wyojasond It has started. The media are saying TAA could be the best RB in the world after his performance in Nations League. Time for the English media to build him up and then kill him after every par performance, just like they do for Kane now.

I actually feel bad for English players.
  • Wyojasond
    @Wyojasond It has started. The media are saying TAA could be the best RB in the world after his performance in Nations League. Time for the English media to build him up and then kill him after every par performance, just like they do for Kane now.

So dumb to give him any link to that title at such a young age, even if he was amazing this year. What’s funny is that at the start of the year I wanted Gomez to take his spot and potentially move him to midfield 😂

The things he did this year were magical though. His cross to Origi will live in Anfield lore forever. He’s on a pretty different level than a lot of fullbacks in the PL right now though too. I’ve never rated Walker, but the guy got a contract at City for a reason but TAA has made him look so average this year.
  • Stlducks
    1353 posts Professional

So dumb to give him any link to that title at such a young age, even if he was amazing this year. What’s funny is that at the start of the year I wanted Gomez to take his spot and potentially move him to midfield 😂

The things he did this year were magical though. His cross to Origi will live in Anfield lore forever. He’s on a pretty different level than a lot of fullbacks in the PL right now though too. I’ve never rated Walker, but the guy got a contract at City for a reason but TAA has made him look so average this year.

TAA is younger than Wan-Bissaka. Just think about that for a moment.
  • Wyojasond

TAA is younger than Wan-Bissaka. Just think about that for a moment.

giphy.gif