FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Alastair
    9627 posts Moderator
    Alastair wrote: »
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    I fear the top 6 is pulling further and further away from the rest and it is ruining the league.

People were saying that 5 years ago and then Leicester came along. The PL is as competitive as ever, if not more competitive than before.

This ^^^ As good as City and Liverpool have been they aren’t exactly blowing teams out like they were last year either. The PL did have a couple of absolutely horrible teams this year in Fulham and Huddersfield, but outside of them you wouldn’t count any team out this year in a game.

Top 6 is rarely ever going to change, but other teams are spending more money on quality players and coaches them ever before. Look no further than Leicester, Wolves, Everton and Watford battling it out for 7th. No one would be surprised to see them battling for top 5 next year 🤷‍♂️

This is definitely true. One club breaking in every 5 years is probably on par with how it's always been in the Premier League days. In the last 20 years changes have been very minor. Since about 2002 it always used to be a top 4 of United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Then Everton snuck in one year and it was a top 5. Then Spurs started to improve and City were born and it became a top 6. That's barely any change. Off the top of my head I think only 9 clubs have finished in the top 4 this century.
  • dannyboy
    12746 posts Has That Special Something
    10 actually. You forgot Leeds or Newcastle (or possibly Everton).
  • Alastair
    9627 posts Moderator
    dannyboy wrote: »
    10 actually. You forgot Leeds or Newcastle (or possibly Everton).

It was Newcastle I forgot.
  • Alastair
    9627 posts Moderator
    edited April 23

I fear the top 6 is pulling further and further away from the rest and it is ruining the league.

Sorry to go back to this but only 2 of the top 6 won this weekend (obviously 2 played each other but that still leaves only a quarter of the other teams actually winning).

They’re definitely not pulling away.
  • Danimal5981
    2060 posts Fans' Favourite
    Back to UCL: I'll say this as an Ajax-fan. Of course I am delighted that my team has gotten this far in the Champions League and that we're still up for a national double. But in broader terms, I find it fantastic that we have four exciting, attacking teams playing the Champions League semis: it's a victory for football, that we do not see the destructive anti-football teams reaching that far this season. And in a way, we can see the same development in the Europa League.

I honestly don't have any issue with any team taking a European trophy. Of course, I am routing for my team: Ajax. But in all fairness, any of the remaining teams try to play nice, attractive football and I'm good with a win for any of them.
  • LAboog4
    472 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Alastair yes lol this was a bad weekend to support my point. But if you look at recent standings, the gap from 6th to 7th has gone from 2pts in 14/15 to 1pt in 15/16 then increased to 8 then 11 and is currently at 15.

I know this is only a trend of a few seasons but my fear is with all the money being invested that top 6 will continue to pull away. I understand your point on top4 being very hard to enter and I agree with that but now it is top 6 that is hard to enter which is kind of sad in my opinion.

@Danimal5981 I agree, these matches should be very exciting. I wish Harry Kane was playing to see how he performs at the big stage but his absences has not seemed to hurt Spurs. I think we are lucky with the draws too. LFC vs Spurs would have made it a little less exciting since we have seen that matchup so many times.
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    This article does back up your point a bit @LAboog4. I think it also shows just how dominant City and Liverpool have been.

• LAboog4
    Since there are no important PL matches today, I wanted to remind everyone the DFB-Pokal semi-final is on today. Bayern against Werder Bremen. I believe Bayern are 20-2-0 against Bremen but the last two matches have been decided by a goal.
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    Since there are no important PL matches today, I wanted to remind everyone the DFB-Pokal semi-final is on today. Bayern against Werder Bremen. I believe Bayern are 20-2-0 against Bremen but the last two matches have been decided by a goal.

😂😂😂 It’s crazy the buildup for this United/City game today. United fans wanting to throw the game but also realizing how important a point could be for top 4. Liverpool fans actually having to root for United all while giving there fan base stick for wanting to toss it 😂

I’ve got United pulling the upset again and winning 3-2, but not overly confident that will happen 😂

As for the Pokal, I’ll have to see if it gets shown here today. We rarely get cup coverage 🤦‍♂️
  • dannyboy
    Need a city win, make the race interesting.
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    Need a city win, make the race interesting.

To be totally honest I have a feeling City will drop points, only for Liverpool to lose it on the final day to Wolves 😂🤦‍♂️
  • Ashy
    8585 posts League Winner
    City are going to smash United by atleast 3 tonight
  • Alastair
    9627 posts Moderator
    United win 2-0 tonight. Calling it now. I’m expecting a big fight back. Apparently even the team chef has given the players a piece of his mind. :joy:
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    United win 2-0 tonight. Calling it now. I’m expecting a big fight back. Apparently even the team chef has given the players a piece of his mind. :joy:

Damnit Alastair, every time you pick a win like that United choke 😂
  • LAboog4
    I hope City win today just to keep pressure on LFC. I also want Spurs/Arsenal in the top 4.
  • LAboog4
    @Wyojasond the Pokal match is actually on ESPNEWS according to Fotmob. If you were looking for something to watch 15 minutes before Manchester kickoffs.

I don't think the Arsenal match is on tv unless you have NBC Gold
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    City dominated that second half. United’s attack has just been pathetic the last month or so.

3 games to go, but that’s likely the title I’d say.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    @subpop here is a good article on ESPN about the VAR. Still not a clear process at all but after reading this I thought the ref was in the right with both calls in the Tottenham game. I do think the penalty was missed for Barcelona though.

Explaining the VAR drama: Why Fernando Llorente's goal stood as Spurs eliminated Man City http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions-league/775/blog/post/3829001/explaining-the-var-drama-why-fernando-llorentes-goal-stood-as-spurs-eliminated-man-city
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Thanks for sharing this. I can even understand the decision. I don't think it was a deliberate handball, so I get it... but I am sure other refs would have said something different. And this is what makes me sick... in certain moments I don't know what to think.
  • LAboog4
    City dominated that second half. United’s attack has just been pathetic the last month or so.

3 games to go, but that’s likely the title I’d say.

I think Burnley might give City a good game. At Burnley, high off the Chelsea match. Burnley have 2 extra days rest. I'm not picking them to win but I don't think it will be as easy as people think.

Arsenal looked awful today and can't blame Mustafi this time. I really expected a bounce back win after the Palace game. Then when I saw the lineup I thought they had a good shot at winning but the effort wasn't there. Chelsea and Spurs control their top4 destiny now.
  • subpop
    On the United v City match, there's too much difference between both sides. I am nearly 40 and I have to make efforts to remember such a poor Manchester United team like this one. Put it this way, I wouldn't sign any of their players for a top team. Only the shirt remains.

And Solksjaer can't be their manager... his tactical decisions are poor.
  • Wyojasond
    9762 posts League Winner
    subpop wrote: »
    On the United v City match, there's too much difference between both sides. I am nearly 40 and I have to make efforts to remember such a poor Manchester United team like this one. Put it this way, I wouldn't sign any of their players for a top team. Only the shirt remains.

De Geas poor form this season has really shown how bad the team is that managed second last year. He made one great save today, but both goals today were pretty weak. I don’t blame ManU for giving Ole the job, but I have to agree, his tactics since the PSG game have been very very questionable. They went from very attacking to being on the back foot and not necessarily parking the bus like Mourinho but way to defensive.
  • subpop
    subpop wrote: »

De Geas poor form this season has really shown how bad the team is that managed second last year. He made one great save today, but both goals today were pretty weak. I don’t blame ManU for giving Ole the job, but I have to agree, his tactics since the PSG game have been very very questionable. They went from very attacking to being on the back foot and not necessarily parking the bus like Mourinho but way to defensive.

De Gea is a line goalkeeper, not a box goalkeeper as modern football requires. For me, extremely overrated player. Now his latest errors expose him much more, but I don't think he is a goalkeeper for a top team.

Beyond this, I don't know if Manchester United is a defensive or attacking team... and this is the worst thing you can say about a team. I don't know what they want to do. Solksjaer's decisions are very weird... yesterday, for example, he decided to put Alexis and Martial on the pitch when everything was lost, 0-2 and 6 or 7 minutes to go. But it was the same against Barcelona. Random decisions.

However the main problem is that the level of the squad is poor. In every line, the level is average. I think this team require a massive renewal in every aspect.
  • Danimal5981
    THE MASTER would've turned 72 today! #Ajax #Barca #Cruijff14

K5oXvs6.jpg
  • dannyboy
    5 years since Tito's death too
  • Virtual_K
    1659 posts Play-Off Hero
    Read a little about Johan Cruyff. Knew the name and reputation, but not much detail. Interesting he did a brief stint with the LA Aztecs, probably one he chose to forget. Ahh, the NASL, what could have been if they had an intelligent business model.
  • subpop

K5oXvs6.jpg

Always in my heart. Idol.
    5 years since Tito's death too

Unforgettable man. Very humble and special. The man in the dark when Pep Guardiola was our manager. Before that, an essential person in La Masia. The generation of Messi, Piqué and Cesc saw him as a father. A very sad personal story. I believe football missed a great coach. Obviously this is irrelevant when you think in his family.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Read a little about Johan Cruyff. Knew the name and reputation, but not much detail. Interesting he did a brief stint with the LA Aztecs, probably one he chose to forget. Ahh, the NASL, what could have been if they had an intelligent business model.

He probably has one of the best personal stories in football. Since his early days in Ajax with a difficult childhood. Then the symbol of a memorable team that go down to history as something truly special, winning 3 European Cups among other domestic titles... and the Netherlands were very near winning the WC 74. They lost to Germany (another huge team), but the Clockwork Orange was something to watch. For me, many aspects of modern football start with them.

Then the way he fought against Ajax, who wanted to sell him to Real Madrid to end up forcing his move to Barcelona.

To put things in a context, Barcelona wasn't the club it is nowadays... we hadn't won a league in 14 years and our golden years were forgotten. The fascist regime of Franco didn't allow him to play for 2 months due to visa problems (yes, sure...). Barcelona were truly struggling... when he was given permission, Barcelona destroyed everyone including a memorable 0-5 at the Bernabéu and we won LaLiga. Sadly, this was a turning point and he lived his life and never reached his previous level anymore.

Still his legacy was huge. He adapted very well to Catalonia. He called his son Jordi (George in Catalan, a language forbbiden by the fascist regime of Spain, which costed him some problems).

Later he refused to play the WC 78. He opposed to play due to the terrible violation of Human Rights by the Argentinian regime. But also because he was totally against the long concentration periods and refused to wear the official Adidas shirt of his NT.

Much later he became an extraordinary manager (he actually acted as one on the pitch being a player). He refreshed Ajax's structures (as a result 10 years later Ajax won their 4th UCL) and won a Cup Winners' Cup.

Then again moved to Barcelona and he was the one to introduce Ajax's model at the club. We had won 10 Ligas in 50 years. With him and after him, never renouncing to the model, 15 Ligas and 5 UCL in 29 years, among other European and domestic titles.

Beyond success, a very intelligent person and a true leader and reference. When you heared him talk, you had to believe in what he said. I could talk about him for hours.
  • dannyboy
    Thoughts on the draft Ali?
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 26

K5oXvs6.jpg

You know, he ranks as one of the best football players ever, but in most countries he wouldn't be top of the list. But as a football icon he is indisputably at the top: no one has had such an influence on football as both player AND manager, but also culturally and politically.

He didn't create the philosophy: Jack Reynolds and Rinus Michels did. But he took it to another level and his work prepped a very successful stint at Ajax in the 90s, an ongoing successful stint at Barcelona and self-awareness to the autonomous region of Catalunya. That guy is just such a large part of the DNA of both Ajax and Barcelona and it goes beyond fooball.

One of his most immortal quotes: I've never seen a bag of money score a goal. (When asked why he believed Ajax could still win the Champions League, even when Dutch league football was on the decline). He believed that a good academy that trains youngsters according to a certain philosophy in theory is enough to remain at the top. Add some clever purchases and all I can say is, why not? It is exactly what Ajax displayed in 2017 (Europa League final) and the current season in the UCL.
  • Alastair
    9627 posts Moderator

Steve Keim needs sacking.

Drafted franchise QBs in the first round 2 years in a row.
  • LAboog4

Steve Keim needs sacking.

Drafted franchise QBs in the first round 2 years in a row.

If they get good value when trading Rosen then it's not a bad move. Cardinals just hired a new coach and he obviously doesn't think Rosen is the guy so he wanted his own star to build around.

The Cardinals are so bad though I still thinking trading the first pick for multiple players would have helped them more. They need linemen, a TE and some defensive help. One pick isn't going to improve them very much.