FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

  • WestardLord
    1227 posts Professional
    edited April 3
    Sessegnon needs to get out like YESTERDAY

    also Gunners in 3rd? can i pop the champagne already?
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    Spurs new stadium looks amazing. Heard yesterday it has its own micro-brewery 😮

    Longest bar in Europe too they said today. The length of the goalline.

    Typical Spurs/Palace match, Spurs won the last 5 league matches 1-0 so that streak finally ended.
  • Alastair
    9651 posts Moderator
    Amazed you guys have only just heard about all these stadium stats. It’s all commentators/pundits over here have talked about for the last 5 years. :joy:
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alastair wrote: »
    Amazed you guys have only just heard about all these stadium stats. It’s all commentators/pundits over here have talked about for the last 5 years. :joy:

    I ignored everything about the stadium after the first delay. It was so annoying listening to people say the same things either supporting Spurs and how amazing they have been during the move or making fun of Spurs for delays.

    One thing I did find funny today was a Skysports article comparing Spurs stadium to Arsenal's stadium. I can't believe how cheap tickets and food/beer is yet people still complain they are too high.

    To go to an American football game you're spending $70+ on a ticket plus $30+ on parking and at least $50 on food and drinks at the game. And those estimates are for someone like me who is cheap when I go.
  • Alastair
    9651 posts Moderator
    You can’t reallt compare prices to the NFL as they only have 8 home matches a year as opposed to 20-odd for a football team. I expect the cost of a season ticket is similar.
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think Arsenal change the difficulty on the road. At home it looks like they play on pro but they turn it up to Legendary on the road.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    I think Arsenal change the difficulty on the road. At home it looks like they play on pro but they turn it up to Legendary on the road.

    This is just crazy.....the last few weeks in this battle for top 4 are gonn be crazy to watch. All of the teams have so many issues but you wouldn’t be surprised to see them all go on huge runs either.

  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    I think Arsenal change the difficulty on the road. At home it looks like they play on pro but they turn it up to Legendary on the road.

    This is just crazy.....the last few weeks in this battle for top 4 are gonn be crazy to watch. All of the teams have so many issues but you wouldn’t be surprised to see them all go on huge runs either.


    Spurs and Chelsea have only a few away games left, Arsenal have 4 away games left. And I have no idea what to think of United and how consistent they will be. Should be very fun.

    Looking at the tables around the leagues and all the top 4 races are close. Only a few leagues have title races left though.
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    Not a good look for VAR today. Handball called against Spurs and moments later Liverpool were not called for a penalty when the ball struck TAA's arm.

    The Spurs one clearly hit Rose's arm but without VAR no pen was given because Rose was too close and sliding in. I know his arm is up a little but it wasn't staight up and how can you slide in without the arm raising at least that much? Harsh decision.

    Liverpool was trickier as Allison hit it into TAA but if refs are going to be strict with handballs they need to be consistent. That cost Porto a chance for a very important goal, a situation people keep saying VAR would fix.
  • DB1512
    254 posts Sunday League Hero
    In my opinion both decisions are correct. Rose comes in to prevent an attempt on goal from Sterling and takes the risk to block the ball with his hand. In the case of TAA, Alisson punched the ball towards him while he had his arms almost near his body and the ball went out. If his hand wasn't there it would have deflected out by his body.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Not a good look for VAR today. Handball called against Spurs and moments later Liverpool were not called for a penalty when the ball struck TAA's arm.

    The Spurs one clearly hit Rose's arm but without VAR no pen was given because Rose was too close and sliding in. I know his arm is up a little but it wasn't staight up and how can you slide in without the arm raising at least that much? Harsh decision.

    Liverpool was trickier as Allison hit it into TAA but if refs are going to be strict with handballs they need to be consistent. That cost Porto a chance for a very important goal, a situation people keep saying VAR would fix.

    That's the problem. I don't know if these handballs are penalties or not. Sometimes they claim that if the handball isn't a voluntary movement, it's not a penalty. It's evident Rose didn't want to touch the ball with his hand.

    Sometimes they said that it's enough that the arm isn't in natural position... but Rose's arm was in a natural position of a player sliding on the floor.

    Sometimes they declare that, it's enough to be in the line of a shot on target or a pass, independently if it's natural or not, volunteer or not...

    So the problem is consistency. I don't mind if they're more or less strict, I just want to know what the hell is a handball in football. At this point, I have no clue.


    In my own personal opinion, even if it is the most strict case, I think it's enough that the defender blocks a shot or a pass that is promising. It's impossible to evaluate the intention of the player or how natural the position of the arm is. The rule should try to be as objective as possible.
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    DB1512 wrote: »
    In my opinion both decisions are correct. Rose comes in to prevent an attempt on goal from Sterling and takes the risk to block the ball with his hand. In the case of TAA, Alisson punched the ball towards him while he had his arms almost near his body and the ball went out. If his hand wasn't there it would have deflected out by his body.

    While I agree with you based on how refs used to rule handballs, the new ruling refs are going with is that if it touches your hand, it's a penalty. No matter intent or how close you are. My issue is that if refs want to go with that rule, they need to be more consistent.
  • DB1512
    254 posts Sunday League Hero
    subpop wrote: »
    In my own personal opinion, even if it is the most strict case, I think it's enough that the defender blocks a shot or a pass that is promising. It's impossible to evaluate the intention of the player or how natural the position of the arm is. The rule should try to be as objective as possible.

    I agree with this perspective and think the refs at both games made the same assumptions. In case of Rose his handball he blocked a shot, while TAA's handball did not and also did not blocked a promising pass.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    DB1512 wrote: »
    subpop wrote: »
    In my own personal opinion, even if it is the most strict case, I think it's enough that the defender blocks a shot or a pass that is promising. It's impossible to evaluate the intention of the player or how natural the position of the arm is. The rule should try to be as objective as possible.

    I agree with this perspective and think the refs at both games made the same assumptions. In case of Rose his handball he blocked a shot, while TAA's handball did not and also did not blocked a promising pass.

    I think this was the biggest thing. Roses blocked a potential shot while TAA was more of a collision of two players. Actually thought VAR did it’s job yesterday but I get where your coming from.

    At the end of the day it’s always going to be up for interpretation because no two refs are the same. The ref for the Liverpool game is one of the most outspoken and mouthy refs I have ever seen. I hate whenever we get him, even though his style of calling the game tends to fit our style.
  • Chris
    5386 posts Big Money Move
    Alastair wrote: »

    Crazy to think the slip is older than your entire football club
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    @Alastair looking for some fight... :D

    So what do you guys think about the UCL QF games?

    Liverpool 2-0 Porto. I saw the early minutes of this game and the difference in quality is huge. I don't see how Porto could actually harm Liverpool. I believe that Liverpool will score at Porto too. It was a predictable result, but a goal of Porto could have changed it all. It was not the case.

    Spurs 1-0 Man City. As much as I admire Pep, I still wonder what the hell he was thinking with his lineup. It's rare in him to see such a conservative approach to the game. City didn't want to take risks and make errors (did Pep have the game against Liverpool last year in mind?). Pochettino was brilliant... he stopped City's style and looked very dangerous in the counter-attacks. The loss of Kane is huge and I guess City will improve in the 2nd leg... Spurs is slightly favourite now, in my opinion.

    Man United 0-1 Barcelona. Barça were far from their best version, except for the first 15 minutes and the last 5 and yet was enough. Very disappointed with Manchester United that never threatened ter Stegen. I still give them a chance as there's quality in certain players (I still wonder how Mata doesn't play in this team... but leave it this way, if you ask me) and anything can happen in football, but I believe that Barcelona will advance, as I expect them to improve at home and I count on a fit Messi (it's evident that he was feeling unconfortable).

    Ajax 1-1 Juventus. I only watched highlights. It seems Ajax were brilliant, but Ronaldo solved as usual. I must admit I am pleasently surprised with Ajax. Juve are the evident favourites, but Madrid underestimate their rival and see what happened, so Ajax might have their chance.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    @Alastair jokes on you, I wasn’t a Liverpool fan yet when that happened (started following the sport the summer after that 😂) But guess I can’t blame ManU fans for wanting to try and find some joy recently with your current form 🤪

    The QF matchups were a good watch, even if I only really saw the ManU/Barca game (Liverpool game was on the Spanish speaking channel)

    Honestly felt like Mourinho was coaching Barca at times. Was a fairly boring game but credit to United for staying in it. They have a tough task at the Camp Nou but they have plenty of talent to go through. De Gea stopped a couple of big shots to keep them alive and they did a good job on Messi.

    Liverpool went as expected. Porto had a few chances but never really threatened. Would’ve preferred a few more just given our road form, but very happy with the result.

    City/Spurs......I’ve been saying for awhile that I think Spurs will make a run to the finals. City is starting to look a bit leggy lately. All the games are starting to catch up with them and teams are defending much much better. There defense is still beatable and Emerson while an amazing sweeper keeper can doesn’t exactly have the top drawer saves like De Gea, Oblak and Alisson. Guessing spurs get the job done and advance but get destroyed in the league 😂

    Lastly, you have to feel for Ajax. They played beautifully and just missed out on a huge win. Think they have enough talent to shock Juve if there defense can stay solid.

    Predictions for the Semis:

    Ajax vs Spurs
    Liverpool vs Barca
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Wyojasond if you have access to the TNT app, match replays are there to watch. Also there is a very good website I use that posts match replays as well as shows like Match of the Day, LaLiga weekly and a few others as soon as they are done. Not sure if I can post the website here or if its against the rules?

    Liverpool controlled the match as expected and is really the only tie I think is done. Going in I expected Liverpool to easily win and I still think it true.

    Spurs/City I think Pep is playing smart and conservative. He knows City can beat Spurs by a few at home and they play Spurs two more times in the next week. Go with a different lineup to give players rest and then win the second leg is my guess at his approach. Kane being out is big but if people look at the games Spurs played without Kane, they were some of the best this year (5 out of 5 league wins and 3-0 against Dortmund). If Son and Eriksen step up again I think Spurs will surprise people.

    I feel for Ajax as they looked really good but couldn't finish a few more chances. After winning at Madrid, I will not doubt them to win at Juve but I will never count Ronaldo out in the UCL.

    Barca looked like they didn't need to take it out of second gear to beat United. United will need some luck and a great performance like at PSG to advance in this.

    My predictions are;
    City/Liverpool
    Barca/Juve
  • dannyboy
    12751 posts Has That Special Something
    Chris wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »

    Crazy to think the slip is older than your entire football club

    How's league 1 @Chris
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    @Alastair jokes on you, I wasn’t a Liverpool fan yet when that happened (started following the sport the summer after that 😂) But guess I can’t blame ManU fans for wanting to try and find some joy recently with your current form 🤪

    The QF matchups were a good watch, even if I only really saw the ManU/Barca game (Liverpool game was on the Spanish speaking channel)

    Honestly felt like Mourinho was coaching Barca at times. Was a fairly boring game but credit to United for staying in it. They have a tough task at the Camp Nou but they have plenty of talent to go through. De Gea stopped a couple of big shots to keep them alive and they did a good job on Messi.

    Liverpool went as expected. Porto had a few chances but never really threatened. Would’ve preferred a few more just given our road form, but very happy with the result.

    City/Spurs......I’ve been saying for awhile that I think Spurs will make a run to the finals. City is starting to look a bit leggy lately. All the games are starting to catch up with them and teams are defending much much better. There defense is still beatable and Emerson while an amazing sweeper keeper can doesn’t exactly have the top drawer saves like De Gea, Oblak and Alisson. Guessing spurs get the job done and advance but get destroyed in the league 😂

    Lastly, you have to feel for Ajax. They played beautifully and just missed out on a huge win. Think they have enough talent to shock Juve if there defense can stay solid.

    Predictions for the Semis:

    Ajax vs Spurs
    Liverpool vs Barca

    Mourinho coaching Barça? The ball possession was 38-62 for Barcelona. In fact, in the initial 20 minutes I think it was 15-85. Then, with 0-1 in the bag, there was no need in risking much more, especially because Manchester United have fast players like Rashford that can punish spaces left at the back. Barcelona's approach was to avoid errors after the goal and that was enough. We defended with the ball (not parking the bus) and Manchester United didn't shoot on target in the whole game and I can only remember shots from long distances. So I don't agree with you about the Mourinho comment.

    Obviously, Manchester United can overcome the result under certain given circumstances, but it was a very positive result for us. Considering that the times of Xavi and Iniesta are gone, I believe we played a very serious and efficient game. It's true I don't like how we lose the control of the game at some moments, especially because of our own errors. But it's also true that Manchester United had a 5-men defensive line... in that sense, with a 0-1 in favour, it made no sense to keep attacking as if we were losing, it was their obligation to go forward and open spaces, but they didn't. Solksjaer was too afraid of opening the defense and seemed comfortable with the 0-1. If he was, imagine how comfortable we felt about it.

    I don't think it's done yet though. Still, the result is pretty good for us.

    On Messi, I think he was not feeling well after the clash with Smalling. He stayed on the pitch, but it was evident he was not feeling ok. So it's true Man United did a good job at it, but it's also true that, before he got injured, he invented an assist out of nowhere for the only goal of the game.
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    @Wyojasond if you have access to the TNT app, match replays are there to watch. Also there is a very good website I use that posts match replays as well as shows like Match of the Day, LaLiga weekly and a few others as soon as they are done. Not sure if I can post the website here or if its against the rules?

    Liverpool controlled the match as expected and is really the only tie I think is done. Going in I expected Liverpool to easily win and I still think it true.

    Spurs/City I think Pep is playing smart and conservative. He knows City can beat Spurs by a few at home and they play Spurs two more times in the next week. Go with a different lineup to give players rest and then win the second leg is my guess at his approach. Kane being out is big but if people look at the games Spurs played without Kane, they were some of the best this year (5 out of 5 league wins and 3-0 against Dortmund). If Son and Eriksen step up again I think Spurs will surprise people.

    I feel for Ajax as they looked really good but couldn't finish a few more chances. After winning at Madrid, I will not doubt them to win at Juve but I will never count Ronaldo out in the UCL.

    Barca looked like they didn't need to take it out of second gear to beat United. United will need some luck and a great performance like at PSG to advance in this.

    My predictions are;
    City/Liverpool
    Barca/Juve

    Given the outcome, I don't know if Pep was too smart in his lineup. I must admit I was surprised to see such a conservative plan, because he always sent a message of attacking football, but his approach to the game was not to make errors... and he ended up paying it.

    Of course, City can turn it around, but an away goal by Spurs at any moment of the game can be very dangerous for City. Even without Kane, Spurs have a great chance to advance.
  • Alastair
    9651 posts Moderator
    edited April 16
    Just seen this.



    Is this really true @subpop? If you have to have screens and netting in front of the fans then Spanish football has gone miles down in my opinion of it. I'd rather stand uncovered in the rain at Blyth Spartans away than watch football through a screen.
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    Wow De Gea
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Wow De Gea

    Yeah that was bad. Hard to shake those talks about him declining when he does stuff like that.
  • Alastair
    9651 posts Moderator
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Wow De Gea

    He's probably concussed.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    Alastair wrote: »
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Wow De Gea

    He's probably concussed.

    Probably......I’d be banging my head on the posts too if I had to play with Ashley Young 😂
  • LAboog4
    489 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ajax and Juve is exciting at least. Two goals against the run of play to keep it unpredictable.

    Hopefully Barca hold on. I'd like to see Messi against Liverpool.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    LAboog4 wrote: »
    Ajax and Juve is exciting at least. Two goals against the run of play to keep it unpredictable.

    Hopefully Barca hold on. I'd like to see Messi against Liverpool.

    This Ajax run is something to behold. In there current form I’d like them against anyone. They hold on to this and this will be even more impressive than Monaco’s run a few seasons ago I’d say.
  • Wyojasond
    9784 posts League Winner
    @Danimal5981 and @subpop.... great night and set of results for you. Hopefully we join you tomorrow 😎😎😎
  • WestardLord
    1227 posts Professional
    Fantastic, amazing, astonishing ... I dunno how else to describe it.

    Ajax looked threatening every single time they were on the ball. Juve ... didn't. lol

    Really happy for them and @Danimal5981, well deserved, and it's great to see Ronaldo with such frustration painted across his face.
Sign In or Register to comment.