FIFA 19 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Ashy
    10767 posts Has That Special Something
    Big match coming up next, personally think Liverpool will beat us 2-1 but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal boss this game and prove everyone wrong

2-1 - Firmino, Lacazette, Salah
  • Wyojasond
    14119 posts Has That Special Something
    Ashy wrote: »
    Big match coming up next, personally think Liverpool will beat us 2-1 but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal boss this game and prove everyone wrong

2-1 - Firmino, Lacazette, Salah

Been a good game so far. I came in figuring Arsenal would give us some issues with how they like to play right now and that’s been true. Shame the Mane goal was taken off. Big mistake, but I do kinda see why it happened. Just poor positioning from the line judge. Arsenal controlling the game but Liverpool have had more real chances. Should be a fun second half
  • Wyojasond
    I think a draw was the fair result given the flow of play. Bit mad we gave up the Lacazette goal but it was damn impressive. Arsenal looks to be a tough out for any team this year if they keep playing like they have.
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator

Does this mean it's time for Christmas avatars?
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Alastair wrote: »
    An interesting point of view @subpop. I agree it’s been talked about so much so probably won’t happen but it’s still worrying to hear (every other stupid idea which was ruled out has been long forgotten e.g. PL’s 39th game idea).

My view on the La Liga TV deal is they’d get more if RM and Barca were less greedy. If the league is competitive and any team can beat any other team (like the PL is) then broadcasters are always going to pay more because people will watch every match not just RM/Barca’s. Obviously to get a more competitive league you need more money for the smaller teams.

Out of interest @subpop, do you attend matches? I find it strange that any supporter of a club would want this. Rather than having away trips no more than a few hours drive away you’d have away trips where the nearest one was a few hours flight. The costs of supporting would sky rocket and the attendances would plummet. It’d be a TV only league.

Personally I think football is fine with the current set up of domestic and the continental above it. If they really want to fix football they should completely revamp the UCL/EL to make it somewhere in between the current format and that of the EC/CWC pre-1995 format. They could even scrap the groups stages completely and have a straight knockout.

Whilst I think the FFP stuff is stupid and there is no way Scott/PSG should be allowed to do that, I do find the bit about wanting to see the end of UEFA/FIFA because they’re corrupt corrupt funny. The whole point of this ESL is the big clubs being corrupt. It’s there way to get more money yet given they want less FFP rules it’s lead to only a couple of clubs competing every year. It’d be less competitive than La Liga. Football will always have people taking a lot of money and imo it’s better than the organisations running it are the ones taking too much money than having a system where a handful of clubs pocket all the money to make it a monopoly.

LaLiga is going in the good direction lately and that is exactly what you said about the TV rights. Until 3 years ago, every club negotiated their own deals. But now it is a colective negotiation and the share is more fair. Not as much as in the Premier League, because the bigger clubs had already built a structure of costs that they couldn't make disappear in two days, but definitely more fair.

It wasn't the only decision. The financial control is really good lately. 10 years ago, debts were huge and many clubs didn't pay salaries in time. Atlético or Valencia were in ruins... now their financial situation is healthy and can compete in the market.

Anyway, back to the point. My feeling is that the damage is done. I believe there is no way to go back to 1995, because the big clubs would definitely break the structures anyway.

As much as I liked how football was back then, I don't want to fool myself either. It is not going back. Not at top level.

The differences already exist, so a Superleague wouldn't destroy anything that isn't broken already. Basically big clubs want to assure their permanent participation in a top competition, taking control of all the money (they don't want UEFA to get it) and forget about smaller clubs. I guess that Chelsea or Arsenal are mad to be out, while they see Victoria Plzen in.

This is the part I particularly don't like. It looks like they want to create a closed league. But out of this, I am open to listen to new ideas.

Now I don't go to football games much. I live in Madrid and sometimes I went to Vallecas or Getafe to watch Barcelona, but I can't say I am the best supporter. It is in the Spanish culture though... fans go to their own stadium, but not that much in away games as in England.

About FFP. I don't know how a ESL would finish with the abuse of City or PSG... I know that Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern are extremely mad, because they receive infinite funding from their owners. So it would surprise me they would accept to play against them without control.

The fact is that we already know City and PSG are cheating and UEFA didn't want to act.

And as I said, I am surprised that the Premier League tolerated City's constant cheating, as they have always promoted competition.

• Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    subpop wrote: »
    An interesting point of view @subpop. I agree it’s been talked about so much so probably won’t happen but it’s still worrying to hear (every other stupid idea which was ruled out has been long forgotten e.g. PL’s 39th game idea).

My view on the La Liga TV deal is they’d get more if RM and Barca were less greedy. If the league is competitive and any team can beat any other team (like the PL is) then broadcasters are always going to pay more because people will watch every match not just RM/Barca’s. Obviously to get a more competitive league you need more money for the smaller teams.

Out of interest @subpop, do you attend matches? I find it strange that any supporter of a club would want this. Rather than having away trips no more than a few hours drive away you’d have away trips where the nearest one was a few hours flight. The costs of supporting would sky rocket and the attendances would plummet. It’d be a TV only league.

Personally I think football is fine with the current set up of domestic and the continental above it. If they really want to fix football they should completely revamp the UCL/EL to make it somewhere in between the current format and that of the EC/CWC pre-1995 format. They could even scrap the groups stages completely and have a straight knockout.

Whilst I think the FFP stuff is stupid and there is no way Scott/PSG should be allowed to do that, I do find the bit about wanting to see the end of UEFA/FIFA because they’re corrupt corrupt funny. The whole point of this ESL is the big clubs being corrupt. It’s there way to get more money yet given they want less FFP rules it’s lead to only a couple of clubs competing every year. It’d be less competitive than La Liga. Football will always have people taking a lot of money and imo it’s better than the organisations running it are the ones taking too much money than having a system where a handful of clubs pocket all the money to make it a monopoly.

LaLiga is going in the good direction lately and that is exactly what you said about the TV rights. Until 3 years ago, every club negotiated their own deals. But now it is a colective negotiation and the share is more fair. Not as much as in the Premier League, because the bigger clubs had already built a structure of costs that they couldn't make disappear in two days, but definitely more fair.

It wasn't the only decision. The financial control is really good lately. 10 years ago, debts were huge and many clubs didn't pay salaries in time. Atlético or Valencia were in ruins... now their financial situation is healthy and can compete in the market.

Anyway, back to the point. My feeling is that the damage is done. I believe there is no way to go back to 1995, because the big clubs would definitely break the structures anyway.

As much as I liked how football was back then, I don't want to fool myself either. It is not going back. Not at top level.

The differences already exist, so a Superleague wouldn't destroy anything that isn't broken already. Basically big clubs want to assure their permanent participation in a top competition, taking control of all the money (they don't want UEFA to get it) and forget about smaller clubs. I guess that Chelsea or Arsenal are mad to be out, while they see Victoria Plzen in.

This is the part I particularly don't like. It looks like they want to create a closed league. But out of this, I am open to listen to new ideas.

Now I don't go to football games much. I live in Madrid and sometimes I went to Vallecas or Getafe to watch Barcelona, but I can't say I am the best supporter. It is in the Spanish culture though... fans go to their own stadium, but not that much in away games as in England.

About FFP. I don't know how a ESL would finish with the abuse of City or PSG... I know that Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern are extremely mad, because they receive infinite funding from their owners. So it would surprise me they would accept to play against them without control.

The fact is that we already know City and PSG are cheating and UEFA didn't want to act.

And as I said, I am surprised that the Premier League tolerated City's constant cheating, as they have always promoted competition.

Good to hear the TV stuff if better now, that’ll help the league a lot.

Yeah I agree we definitely can’t go back to 1995 but I feel a slightly different structure of the European competitions might help (not sure what that should be though).

Slightly unrelated but I’m amazed FIFA/UEFA haven’t introduced a rule about having X number of players from your own nation in the squad. Obviously EU freedom of movement makes it difficult but it’d still be good to see. The FA almost introduced it about 2010 but the EU blocked it so hopefully we’ll do it again after Brexit. Doesn’t need to be a massive number just 6 in the 18 man match day squad or something.

Away games are the best kind of matches one England. Such a good atmosphere. It says a lot that over 1300 Sunderland fans made a 12 hour trip to Plymouth for yesterday’s match.

The PL needs to clamp down on City. The guy who has been chairman of the PL for about 15-20 years is retiring this month so it’ll be interesting to see what attitude his replacement takes.

The UK Government has announced that they’d be against an ESL. I guess Government opposition would basically stop it happening because they could apply different tax/visa laws to those clubs making it impossible for them to sign players.

• dannyboy
    12883 posts Has That Special Something
    Should clamp down on City so Man Utd can outspend everyone again
  • Wyojasond
    Are all pubs in England called the “White Horse”? 😂 I’ve seen 3-4 movies the past few days based in England and each one had a pub in it called the “White Horse” 🤷‍♂️
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    Are all pubs in England called the “White Horse”? 😂 I’ve seen 3-4 movies the past few days based in England and each one had a pub in it called the “White Horse” 🤷‍♂️

I don't know a single pub called the white horse. :joy:

• Wyojasond

I don't know a single pub called the white horse. :joy:

🤦‍♂️🤣 must be a Hollywood thing
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    @subpop Looks like this could be the week City finally get exposed.

Part 1 of 4 Football Leaks articles about City has been released. The rest come Tuesday-Thursday this week.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/manchester-city-exposed-bending-the-rules-to-the-tune-of-millions-a-1236346.html
  • Stlducks
    1921 posts Play-Off Hero

Part 1 of 4 Football Leaks articles about City has been released. The rest come Tuesday-Thursday this week.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/manchester-city-exposed-bending-the-rules-to-the-tune-of-millions-a-1236346.html

This is going to be just like PSG though? Everyone knows they cheated but they still don't get punished.
  • dannyboy
    12883 posts Has That Special Something
    Stlducks wrote: »

This is going to be just like PSG though? Everyone knows they cheated but they still don't get punished.

No chance they're getting away with it
  • Wyojasond
    Honestly I haven’t seen much of anything about this other than what others have mentioned in the chats here. In all honesty, does anyone think anything major will really happen to City? It’s sounding like most of it will be a slap on the wrist
  • subpop

Good to hear the TV stuff if better now, that’ll help the league a lot.

Yeah I agree we definitely can’t go back to 1995 but I feel a slightly different structure of the European competitions might help (not sure what that should be though).

Slightly unrelated but I’m amazed FIFA/UEFA haven’t introduced a rule about having X number of players from your own nation in the squad. Obviously EU freedom of movement makes it difficult but it’d still be good to see. The FA almost introduced it about 2010 but the EU blocked it so hopefully we’ll do it again after Brexit. Doesn’t need to be a massive number just 6 in the 18 man match day squad or something.

Away games are the best kind of matches one England. Such a good atmosphere. It says a lot that over 1300 Sunderland fans made a 12 hour trip to Plymouth for yesterday’s match.

The PL needs to clamp down on City. The guy who has been chairman of the PL for about 15-20 years is retiring this month so it’ll be interesting to see what attitude his replacement takes.

The UK Government has announced that they’d be against an ESL. I guess Government opposition would basically stop it happening because they could apply different tax/visa laws to those clubs making it impossible for them to sign players.

Interesting information about the impact of Brexit.

I have a different view on the impact of foreign players in the big leagues. At some point, I shared your view on it. However, nowadays, I am not against having foreign talent in LaLiga... and it shouldn't be a problem for the Premier League sides either. Let me explain this.

I believe that forcing the rules to "impose" domestic players doesn't necessarily improve the level of local talent. It might have the opposite effect: as there are restrictions for foreigners, less talented national players get more chances. Domestic players have less competition and the overall level is lower.

One of the big differences between the Premier League and LaLiga clubs is the bet on the youth system. In LaLiga, teams of any level do not hesitate to give opportunities to youngsters. At the end, a solid youth system is very profitable. But you have to believe in this task... and I believe English clubs (in general, there are exceptions) prefer to go to the market and splash money for anyone who "sounds good".

What I am going to say isn't science as you can guess... but once I had a chat with a friend about the huge spending in the Premier League and we were amazed about the amounts paid by English clubs for really average players. So money, instead of being a great advantage, finally makes the English teams very lazy when it comes to scout talent.

Ironically, in recent years, in LaLiga some clubs like Sevilla, Atlético (even if now they can splash big amounts too), Villarreal, Betis... have signed really good players without spending too much money. The economic crisis impulsed intelligence and hard work at the offices. The results are evident. Aside the big clubs, the Spanish team have done very well in European competitions, even if they can't compete with others.

I look at Sevilla or Valencia and they don't seem weaker than Manchester United or Arsenal. Probably they don't have huge names, but they've been able to build very solid teams with intelligence and wise decisions. Even if LaLiga is attracting more and more money, I hope that our clubs keep the same model, because it's working really well.

On the Superleague... as I said, I have mixed feelings. I don't know if the participation of English clubs would be fundamental or the rest of Europe can just go forward with the idea, as it would be a way to attract more money too. English clubs didn't want to participate in the first European Cup either and later they decided to go in.

Anyway... as I don't really know which is the proposal, I can't say much about it. But my feeling is that, with or without a Superleague, the differences between rich and poor will keep growing. At the end, if UEFA wants to keep power, they will keep accepting what the giants demand... just as they've been doing since 20 years ago.

The only factor that would make me re-think the whole structure would be a system that would allow teams of smaller leagues to catch up a bit. I don't like to see teams like Ajax, Benfica, Anderlecht, Steaua, Red Star or others that once were a reference as "small teams". I don't know if the creation of a contintental league, with divisions, promotions and relegations and a fair share of incomes would help... obviously, the smaller teams of the big leagues would suffer the consequences...

So the question is: who do we want to pay the price? Southampton, Genoa and Real Sociedad... or Ajax, Benfica and Celtic?

• subpop

Interesting... but as other posters said, I don't expect much from UEFA anymore.

Last year, PSG's signings exposed the reality as never before. City overspent, but they are a Premier League club with important incomes... we all know they've been cheating, but I guess it's easier to cover the fraud. But the case of PSG was extremely evident and UEFA accepted all what they did with the signings of Neymar and Mbappé without hesitation.

Personally, I don't expect anything from UEFA anymore.
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator

Interesting... but as other posters said, I don't expect much from UEFA anymore.

Last year, PSG's signings exposed the reality as never before. City overspent, but they are a Premier League club with important incomes... we all know they've been cheating, but I guess it's easier to cover the fraud. But the case of PSG was extremely evident and UEFA accepted all what they did with the signings of Neymar and Mbappé without hesitation.

Personally, I don't expect anything from UEFA anymore.

UEFA will want to save face. Today’s evidence looks equally bad on them.

It’s still been nothing major so far. Makes me wonder what they’re saving for thursday. No doubt it’ll be something big.
  • Stlducks
    1921 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looks like Liverpool decided to take the first half off tonight. I can easily see them scoring 3 and winning but a loss today makes the group very interesting.
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    Only 3 wins in the last 9 for Liverpool. Wonder if Klopp's days are numbered. :trollface:
  • Stlducks
    1921 posts Play-Off Hero
    Only 3 wins in the last 9 for Liverpool. Wonder if Klopp's days are numbered. :trollface:

Salah one year wonder also gone? 😏
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    Stlducks wrote: »

Salah one year wonder also gone? 😏

Salah is the new Michu. He'll be playing for his local Egyptian village before Liverpool next win the CL...
  • Wyojasond
    I missed today’s game and thankful I did. Klopp not going anywhere and I’m sorry it’s too early to call Salah a one year wonder. To be fair, he missed a ton of chances last yea too, he just had way more :D

Today was pretty embarrassing, but honestly I feel like it was coming. We’ve been horrible for the last month or so. No excuses here. The team better wake the hell up or this season is gonna get ugly real fast, we might end up in the same spot as ManU and Spurs :p
  • Virtual_K
    1855 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thought for sure Zlatan would be out the door headed for Milan, but there seems to be a decent chance he will stay with the Galaxy provided he takes up a designated player spot. That would mean either Alessandrini, J dos, or Giovanni has to go. Easy. Adios Giovanni, and don't let the door hit you in the arse, and if it does, try not to get injured. :D

Seriously, Giovanni has become a waste of salary. Only what, 14 league games played this season. Don't need him. Solidify the back line and Galaxy will be all right. Wonder if Ashley Cole has another year left in him. He was pretty durable last season.
  • subpop
    I don't know if you follow South American football at all, but tonight it is the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final. Boca v River at La Bombonera. It should be giant.
  • Wyojasond
    I don't know if you follow South American football at all, but tonight it is the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final. Boca v River at La Bombonera. It should be giant.

Been seeing a lot about it lately. Lots of talent in S. America right now. River has a player, Palacios (was in my story for a bit) that is being rumored heavily with a Real Madrid move soon
  • Stlducks
    1921 posts Play-Off Hero
    Boca v River now suspend until tomorrow due to rain.
  • Virtual_K
    1855 posts Play-Off Hero
    Awesome match going on between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern. Bring in Pulisic dammit!
  • Wyojasond
    Alright boys, PL season is about 1/3 of the way over now. 3 teams still unbeaten in the league. City look unstoppable again, Liverpool continue to grind out victories and Chelsea have been more solid than I think any of us expected. Throw in Tottenham who despite 3 losses are only 5 points off the top, and even with Arsenal’s ugly draw today can’t be overlooked. The battle for 2-4 should be crazy fun to watch this season.

Outside of Cardiff and Huddersfield I don’t think there are any easy victories this year. The top 6 seem to have separated themselves a lot more again, (even with United’s struggle) but I don’t think it would surprise anyone to see a shock loss a few times this season.

End of the season though I think City still wins comfortably. They are just too good and even the top teams are afraid to go after them. Been a great start to the season though B)B)B)B)
  • Alastair
    10203 posts Moderator
    Think you’re forgetting Fulham. They’re as good as down. Huddersfield are starting to stabilise and I wouldn’t say they’re an easy victory, an expected one yes but not easy.
  • Wyojasond
    Think you’re forgetting Fulham. They’re as good as down. Huddersfield are starting to stabilise and I wouldn’t say they’re an easy victory, an expected one yes but not easy.

Personally I think Fulham will find some form. They have to learn to defend a bit, but I think they have enough talent to win some games.