The GOAT Lounge - All Things Henry

Comments

• Great highlights James and you've also inspired me to get better at dribbling with the goat. Do you use the LB button inside the box?

To be honest I have both the goat and the 90 rated iceman and need to learn more precise dribbling around the box. Some of that stuff you did looked really good. I have a bad habit of trying to take power shots every time I get near goal and not creating space like you did in your highlights.

Any advice would be appreciated!

This is a great query, and I want to do my best to try and offer an answer - but that's all it is: one answer.

This kind of all started a while back when my friend was watching some of my old highlights and icing me. I got pissed at him (I maintain he was jealous) and we had a bit of a go, and in ceding to my haranguing he pledged to rewatch them and give me an authentic response. He said something along the lines of "It's amazing how a little patience w dribbling can give you so much space bc people lunge" - and for some reason that really struck me.

So, what I will say to you is this: no turbo. The key to my game is that I lay off turbo as much as possible. Sure, you have to use it at times, but my stance is that it affects everything you do negatively. Easier to tackle, sloppier shots and passes, etc. - the key is to lay off the turbo, deke the man, draw the tackle or movement, and then turn or pivot past them.

The other element I rely on is called Y-axis play. So many people play strictly on the X-axis. They are TOO direct in their dribbling toward the goal. You avoid tackles by using the Y-axis and dribbling away from the defender. A lot of times the key to getting past them, in other words, is making sure your turn is a high enough degree away from them. So, if you think of a clock face on the field, and he is at 9 o'clock defending goal, and you are facing 9 o'clock dribbling at him, you want to fake toward maybe 7 o'clock and THEN turn to midnight! You don't get past the man by playing within the 8-10 o'clock wedge soooooo many players over-use.

So, this is all to say: I don't really use close-dribbling. I have no doubt I probably should, and that I could heighten my play, but I'm afraid I am a very old dog learning very new tricks, it seems. I hope this helps! Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely play strictly on the X-axis and do have a habit of using sprint too much. I will work on both of these things! I need to work on being patient in the final third and not rushing my attack. It's weird because I never noticed I do these bad habits until I saw your highlights!

Thanks for the advice.

I hope it helps! Like I said, let us know how you get on.

I definitely will tell you how it goes. I'm going to work on my dribbling in rivals today. I must unlock the GOAT's true potential.

Glad to hear it, mate. Your dedication to the GOAT is noted.

My game has been upped for sure after I started paying more attention in the final third to what my opponents CBs were doing.

Before I was just sprinting to goal, but now if I see them make a lunge I'll quickly pivot with the LB button and create a lot more space to either dribble into or take a shot.

My performance with 90 Bergkamp has also benefited from this.

Now I realize why you told me sniper chem style was best. The ball is just glued to his feet. I also won 3 penalties because my opponent decided he couldn't handle the GOAT's twist and turns and decided to just take him out.

Also I noticed if you hold LT and RT and face up dribble side to side the opponent would auto lunge and if you let go of LT there is a slight speed boost.
  • James Libby
    5114 posts Big Money Move

Great highlights James and you've also inspired me to get better at dribbling with the goat. Do you use the LB button inside the box?

To be honest I have both the goat and the 90 rated iceman and need to learn more precise dribbling around the box. Some of that stuff you did looked really good. I have a bad habit of trying to take power shots every time I get near goal and not creating space like you did in your highlights.

This is a great query, and I want to do my best to try and offer an answer - but that's all it is: one answer.

This kind of all started a while back when my friend was watching some of my old highlights and icing me. I got pissed at him (I maintain he was jealous) and we had a bit of a go, and in ceding to my haranguing he pledged to rewatch them and give me an authentic response. He said something along the lines of "It's amazing how a little patience w dribbling can give you so much space bc people lunge" - and for some reason that really struck me.

So, what I will say to you is this: no turbo. The key to my game is that I lay off turbo as much as possible. Sure, you have to use it at times, but my stance is that it affects everything you do negatively. Easier to tackle, sloppier shots and passes, etc. - the key is to lay off the turbo, deke the man, draw the tackle or movement, and then turn or pivot past them.

The other element I rely on is called Y-axis play. So many people play strictly on the X-axis. They are TOO direct in their dribbling toward the goal. You avoid tackles by using the Y-axis and dribbling away from the defender. A lot of times the key to getting past them, in other words, is making sure your turn is a high enough degree away from them. So, if you think of a clock face on the field, and he is at 9 o'clock defending goal, and you are facing 9 o'clock dribbling at him, you want to fake toward maybe 7 o'clock and THEN turn to midnight! You don't get past the man by playing within the 8-10 o'clock wedge soooooo many players over-use.

So, this is all to say: I don't really use close-dribbling. I have no doubt I probably should, and that I could heighten my play, but I'm afraid I am a very old dog learning very new tricks, it seems. I hope this helps! Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely play strictly on the X-axis and do have a habit of using sprint too much. I will work on both of these things! I need to work on being patient in the final third and not rushing my attack. It's weird because I never noticed I do these bad habits until I saw your highlights!

Thanks for the advice.

I definitely will tell you how it goes. I'm going to work on my dribbling in rivals today. I must unlock the GOAT's true potential.

My game has been upped for sure after I started paying more attention in the final third to what my opponents CBs were doing.

Before I was just sprinting to goal, but now if I see them make a lunge I'll quickly pivot with the LB button and create a lot more space to either dribble into or take a shot.

Now I realize why you told me sniper chem style was best. The ball is just glued to his feet. I also won 3 penalties because my opponent decided he couldn't handle the GOAT's twist and turns and decided to just take him out.

Also I noticed if you hold LT and RT and face up dribble side to side the opponent would auto lunge and if you let go of LT there is a slight speed boost.

Glad your kicking **** - and with Bergkamp, no less!
  • James Libby
    edited January 23
    A late-night FIFA poem:

The semester has started.

I'm learning to timed finesse.

Winning more. Losing less.

I think I just sharted.

The End.
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator
    A late-night FIFA poem:

I think I just sharted.

The End.

Too bad timed finesse will be nerfed in the new patch coming to consoles next week.
  • James Libby
    edited January 23
    A late-night FIFA poem:

I think I just sharted.

The End.

Too bad timed finesse will be nerfed in the new patch coming to consoles next week.

That's fine, mate. It's quite obviously OP, and I welcome it being nerfed. I was just messing about.
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator
    :) Gonna be interesting next week.

But we all know Henry will score for fun anyways.

• Great highlights James and you've also inspired me to get better at dribbling with the goat. Do you use the LB button inside the box?

Thanks for the advice.

Glad your kicking **** - and with Bergkamp, no less!

Thanks man! Just upgraded Bergkamp to his prime. I'm going to switch my 4231 wide formation to a 442 and feed my Invincibles nostalgic addiction. I still need Pires, Sol, Lehmann and Vieira. Will throw in cup double winners Petit and Overmars in the mix as well. This is my end game team target.
  • James Libby
    edited January 30
    5c37e1ed61c8da83a5df2299ec441997.gyf

New squad and formation. Sold Cruyff for Mbappe and he is literally INSANE. Playing 41212 narrow in game. Will post some highlight goals tomorrow (snow day!) from Henry & Co.
    Post edited by James Libby on
  • James Libby

New squad and formation. Sold Cruyff for Mbappe and he is literally INSANE. Playing 41212 narrow in game. Will post some highlight goals tomorrow (snow day!) from Henry & Co.

Probably going to sell Gullit (don't want to get caught if his SBC drops).

Who would be a good replacement? Was thinking 88 Seedorf or maybe FFS Aour. Thoughts?
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

TOTY Mbappe is quite insane. :) And he can jump as well for those headers now.

I'm no fan of Lala though. Have the 86 untradeable and he's out of position a lot. :joy:
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

Who would be a good replacement? Was thinking 88 Seedorf or maybe FFS Aour. Thoughts?

90 Gullit? Hehe.

None of the other two will play anything like Gullit.

Heard good things about both but not tried them myself.
  • James Libby
    edited January 30

TOTY Mbappe is quite insane. :) And he can jump as well for those headers now.

I'm no fan of Lala though. Have the 86 untradeable and he's out of position a lot. :joy:

Lala and I have a torrid relationship. I've been sour since missing out on his red card TWICE. Proclaimed I would never use him, bought him for ridiculously cheap, played him for over 250 games now, and refuse to upgrade.

I have issues.

On the other hand, TOTY Mbappe is **** ridiculously good. I am not just winning with this set-up, I'm having a LOT of fun, too. No one can handle that front three!
  • James Libby

90 Gullit? Hehe.

I just have this feeling his SBC is going to drop and I am going to have to eat a million coins. So, I want to try some other CMs..... like:

fe5ebef02e6ae86c6cbdcfb469658e12.gyf
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

90 Gullit? Hehe.

I just have this feeling his SBC is going to drop and I am going to have to eat a million coins. So, I want to try some other CMs..... like:

Aouar looks great. Review later?
  • James Libby

90 Gullit? Hehe.

Definitely. You can count on it!
  • James Libby
    edited January 31

90 Gullit? Hehe.

Alright, I played about ten games yesterday and Aouar was quite impressive. He's like Verrati on steroids. Dribbling and passing was excellent. He made a surprising amount of tackles and interceptions. A little weak at times, but very nimble and adroit to make up for it. Obviously, not even in the same stratosphere as Gullit (sorry), but fun to use - and this gives me great hope for FFS Guendozi (who I also want to try). Thinking of maybe trying 88 Seedorf next though.
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

90 Gullit? Hehe.

Alright, I played about ten games yesterday and Aouar was quite impressive. He's like Verrati on steroids. Dribbling and passing was excellent. He made a surprising amount of tackles and interceptions. A little weak at times, but very nimble and adroit to make up for it. Obviously, not even in the same stratosphere as Gullit (sorry), but fun to use - and this gives me great hope for FFS Guendozi (who I also want to try). Thinking of maybe trying 88 Seedorf next though.

Thanks man.

88 Seedorf is very good.
  • James Libby
    THE FATHER OF WACK IS BACK IN ON WL!

More to come.... stay tuned!
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator
    THE FATHER OF WACK IS BACK IN ON WL!

More to come.... stay tuned!

Good luck. :)
  • WonderMouse
    1988 posts Fans' Favourite
    How are you getting on with the patch now?
  • James Libby

Just fine, mate. Frankly, i don't understand what all the fuss is about. Timed-finesse needed to be nerfed. Sure, the AI is a pain to play against, but it isn't the strongest species that survives, it's the most adaptable to change.

Speaking of changes....

7c7f3675a5515548e84eb144aa63ca2d.gyf
  • WonderMouse

Just fine, mate. Frankly, i don't understand what all the fuss is about. Timed-finesse needed to be nerfed. Sure, the AI is a pain to play against, but it isn't the strongest species that survives, it's the most adaptable to change.

Speaking of changes....

Yeah I prefer post patch except for people who play min depth drop back, snooze fest.

Some nice upgrades, headliners pogba next? B)
  • James Libby

Speaking of changes....

Yeah I prefer post patch except for people who play min depth drop back, snooze fest.

Good question. I'm kind of waiting for a big ICON to drop to make any more major moves. Just messing around with players I would never try otherwise in the interim. Vieira, Desailly, and Roberto Carlos are must-haves for me that I'm waiting for the SBCS for - and, of course, we'll have to see about Henry. I'm rapidly approaching 500 goals with the PRIME, and the question becomes... do I really want to switch GOATs at this point?

Anyone with thoughts or comments on this? Do I HAVE to do the Henry SBC even if - especially if - I've logged such a phenomenal record on my current card?
  • James Libby
    You aren't going to believe this, but my team fell to ****! Decided to give 442 a try, as I've read so much about it post-patch AND I used 4411 for the majority of the first three months of the game. So, I sort my team out and there's just one problem: who to play LM? If you know me and if you know this thread, there was only one answer:

4a42bfbe2247ec999ca02a10e0a61d65.gyf

And, in keeping with Goat forum tradition, now that big Franck is no longer on the bench, I have chanced my avatar!

Comments or thoughts on this squad?
  • WonderMouse

Speaking of changes....

Good question. I'm kind of waiting for a big ICON to drop to make any more major moves. Just messing around with players I would never try otherwise in the interim. Vieira, Desailly, and Roberto Carlos are must-haves for me that I'm waiting for the SBCS for - and, of course, we'll have to see about Henry. I'm rapidly approaching 500 goals with the PRIME, and the question becomes... do I really want to switch GOATs at this point?

Anyone with thoughts or comments on this? Do I HAVE to do the Henry SBC even if - especially if - I've logged such a phenomenal record on my current card?

I would only do it if it free up loads of coins that you need for other upgrades, if it just saves you like 300k then don't bother.
  • WonderMouse
    You aren't going to believe this, but my team fell to ****! Decided to give 442 a try, as I've read so much about it post-patch AND I used 4411 for the majority of the first three months of the game. So, I sort my team out and there's just one problem: who to play LM? If you know me and if you know this thread, there was only one answer:

And, in keeping with Goat forum tradition, now that big Franck is no longer on the bench, I have chanced my avatar!

Neymar not a bit wasted at lm?
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

Looks great to me. :)

How's Seedorf?
  • James Libby

Speaking of changes....

I would only do it if it free up loads of coins that you need for other upgrades, if it just saves you like 300k then don't bother.

Neymar not a bit wasted at lm?

Yeah, good point. Coin is coin - I was more so wondering if it dispels the magic to have the 1000 goals on separate cards. Henry just hit his 491st goal for the club last night!

And, yes, Neymar is undoubtedly a bit wasted at LM. I am having a lot more success with this formation though - and formation dictates positioning, not the other way around (at least for me). He IS great though - he can push the ball, make space, take on his man - he does the job at LM. And Mbappe and Henry are a blast up top - I call it Old Goat & Young Goat. I'm not convinced yet that I have the right personnel aligned - I was thinking of maybe putting Neymar at RM and then putting TOTY Marcelo at LM and Prime Roberto behind him? Or is that too horned?!?!
  • James Libby

How's Seedorf?

I really like him, mate. He's very lively - that is the precise word I would use to describe him. He's all over the place winning tackles, helping with link-up play, etc. he's a real water carrier and decent enough on the ball as well. Still no Ruud, but definitely a step up from Aour for the time being.
  • Littleland95
    16628 posts Moderator

How's Seedorf?

I really like him, mate. He's very lively - that is the precise word I would use to describe him. He's all over the place winning tackles, helping with link-up play, etc. he's a real water carrier and decent enough on the ball as well. Still no Ruud, but definitely a step up from Aour for the time being.

Tempting.

I had 90 Ruud but sold him. Rijkaard and Ruud at CM together feels a bit too heavy.