The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    You only got top 4 because there was only 4 good teams though.

It’s like being top 6 now.

Doesn't make any sense. There's always only really gonna be 4 teams playing at that level for a whole season. When Leicester won it, which wasn't long ago, what was everyones excuse? To consistently make top 4 every single season with the team we had up until 2013 was quite frankly an incredible feat.

It makes sense you just don’t like to see it

2012/13 - 4th by 1pt. Everton in 6th are 10pts back

2013/14 - 4th. 7 points clear of Everton

2014/15 - 3rd. Utd 4th. 6 clear of Everton in 5th

2015/16 - Freak season. Chelsea 10th. Arsenal’s best season in a decade and 10pts behind the winners

2016/17 - Now there’s 5 teams (Plus Utd in a mess) and you miss out.

2017/18 - 6 teams fighting. You’re 12 points off 4th.

Why are you going from when we could spend money? That's when I was expecting us to go far and we did just that after investment in 15/16 with Alexis and such.

After that failure everyone lost faith in Wenger entirely. Hence why we slipped further, still not sure what point you're trying to make when I was pointing out 2006-2013. After that period I would absolutely expect us to make top 4 and more due to the investment we could then put in.

Anyway the original point is Spurs currently have the squad to get top 4, that's fair enough they've got one of the best starting 11's in the league, but they will start declining massively without proper investment.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    My point is you got 4th because there was 4 good teams. City weren’t rich, Pool sucked, Spurs were a mess.

The last two seasons now that Liverpool have their act together, Spurs are better etc and you’ve been out of the top 4.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    My point is you got 4th because there was 4 good teams. City weren’t rich, Pool sucked, Spurs were a mess.

The last two seasons now that Liverpool have their act together, Spurs are better etc and you’ve been out of the top 4.

We were declining massively under Wenger though, everyone had lost faith in him. So it was completely inevitable. Those teams you mentioned also went through periods where they had top class players, yet still didn't constantly manage to get top 4. Spurs had Bale, Liverpool had Suarez yet when they left both crumbled. When RVP and such left us, we still made top 4 instead of finishing 8th/7th/6th etc.

I wouldn't even expect us to make top 4 this season. I think Emery is getting the most he can out of a pretty poor, unbalanced squad.
  • Shshj
    9428 posts League Winner
    West Ham spending this kind of money on a player they don't necessarily need is certainly a statement of intent, unless they know Arnautovic is off in the summer?

DyAFlW6XgAIDrcQ?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • Jensonj67
    1668 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yh he must be leaving
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Nkunku and Perisic.

Would take that.
  • Morata is an 18 month loan :open_mouth:
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Morata is an 18 month loan :open_mouth:

wonder what the fee is? how long is higgy being loaned to chelski for?
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain
    Summer69 wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Morata is an 18 month loan :open_mouth:

wonder what the fee is? how long is higgy being loaned to chelski for?

End of season + option to extend another season for 18m (or 16m idr). Otherwise they can just buy him for 36m.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    I think next summer when we sign a top CB we’ll have a genuine chance of challenging in a 442 system -

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...
  • Jensonj67
    1668 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think next summer when we sign a top CB we’ll have a genuine chance of challenging in a 442 system -

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited January 2019
    Jensonj67 wrote: »

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah

Comfortably better than Chelsea’s side especially without hazard next season, and better than Spurs easily. Challenging pool and city.

With someone like Van Dijk for example that side is beautiful.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    34618 posts National Team Captain

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah

Comfortably better than Chelsea’s side especially without hazard next season, and better than Spurs easily. Challenging pool and city.

“Easily” is a stretch.
  • Jensonj67
    1668 posts Play-Off Hero

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah

So chelsea aren’t buying any players in the summer? Also isn’t better than spurs ignoring their terrible depth.

You’re not challenging Liverpool and city with Leno and sokratis in your team. And this top class cb? Who’s gonna join when you won’t get CL so you have to throw a lot of money at them which you don’t have
  • AlexSolm
    9574 posts League Winner
    edited January 2019
    Perišić still hasn't returned from the World Cup, he can GTFO

edit: just realized Brozovic liked this meme :*
    Post edited by AlexSolm on
  • Milner
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah

That's not a better 11 than spurs, never mind easily :joy:

And where are you just going to get "someone like Van Dijk", a CB of that calibre isn't going to join in summer.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Milner wrote: »

Leno
    Bellerin
    Sokratis
    New top class CB
    Firpo
    Nelson
    Guendouzi/Xhaka
    Torreira
    Perisic
    Auba
    Laca

Bruh...

For top 4 yeah

That's not a better 11 than spurs, never mind easily :joy:

And where are you just going to get "someone like Van Dijk", a CB of that calibre isn't going to join in summer.

Exactly :lol: I think they could sign just about any CB in the world and I’d still take the spurs starting 11 from this season over that predicted one.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    27427 posts Player of the Year
    If "It's our year" is the Liverpool trope then "Next year is our year if..." Is wombs :lol:
  • Milner
    edited January 2019
    If "It's our year" is the Liverpool trope then "Next year is our year if..." Is wombs :lol:

Loves a predicted 11
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    There’s 2, maybe 3, top class players in that list and one of them you haven’t even bought lol
  • Shshj
    9428 posts League Winner
    Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think Perisic would be a good signing whatsoever.

He's 30 next month, been poor for Inter and would command a hefty fee. It's typical Arsenal - spending big on more attackers when they basically need a whole new defence.
  • He never changes :joy:
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Shshj wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think Perisic would be a good signing whatsoever.

He's 30 next month, been poor for Inter and would command a hefty fee. It's typical Arsenal - spending big on more attackers when they basically need a whole new defence.

Yeah I can’t see him, at this stage, being a player that will really take them up a level. He works hard, sure, but his end product seems to have declined, so see how he’d really improve Arsenal.

He does like to ping in crosses thougg...even if they are poor and don’t connect with anyone.
  • Ashy
    17474 posts World Class
    Arsenal just need to focus the spending on a proper left back and if possible world class centre-back anything else is like adding a cherry on top with half the cake missing
  • finsfan85
    14137 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2019
    Ashy wrote: »
    Arsenal just need to focus the spending on a proper left back and if possible world class centre-back anything else is like adding a cherry on top with half the cake missing

Can I interest you in a Marcos Alonso? Has been called “one of the best left backs in the world”.

We’ll even throw in a Gary Cahill.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Firpo nelson and torreira ‘top class team’ :lol: sheesh some people. Just noticed xhaka too :lol: the guy you all hated all last season right? Now he’s world class. Interesting
  • Milner
    Who is this world class CB Arsenal can get?
  • Pietu
    10444 posts Has That Special Something
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Firpo nelson and torreira ‘top class team’ :lol: sheesh some people. Just noticed xhaka too :lol: the guy you all hated all last season right? Now he’s world class. Interesting

Tbf Torreira is good, don't know about those others tho 😆
  • Shshj
    9428 posts League Winner

Johan Djourou
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

And one that will choose Arsenal over Utd who also need a CB and will pay more.