The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

• Milanista28
    1932 posts Play-Off Hero
    So was Gigio a one season wonder then? Haven’t heard much about him lately.

@Tornado31619

Gigio has been tremendous after a slow 1st 6 weeks, He's one of the leagues form keepers right now, His shot stopping ability is 1st class, Playing out with his feet his biggest obstacle but you can see he's slowly improving.

Turns 20 next month with heaps of development to come, An absolute gem.
  • Milner
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    The Notts County chairman :joy:
  • Milner wrote: »

Oh my god ahahaha
  • Milner
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Milner wrote: »

Oh my god ahahaha
    How to have a bad day:

1 - Take a screenshot of criticism to try and defend yourself.
    2 - Screenshot said screenshot from your camera roll.
    3 - Inadvertently post your ❤️❤️❤️❤️ pic to Twitter.
    4 - Delete tweet.
    5 - Delete Twitter.
    6 - Put your club up for sale.
  • Milner wrote: »

Oh my god ahahaha
    How to have a bad day:

3 - Inadvertently post your **** pic to Twitter.
    4 - Delete tweet.
    5 - Delete Twitter.

:joy::joy:
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    Reus wrote: »
    Poch is the most overrated manager on the planet

I'd tend to think it's more down to levy tbh. Poch needs to move on and show what he can do (or not) at a club that will back him properly.

The comment about cups is just weird though
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Tof33z wrote: »

I'd tend to think it's more down to levy tbh. Poch needs to move on and show what he can do (or not) at a club that will back him properly.

FA Cup winners - 3.6m
    4th place finish - 33m plus money from CL

You can see his point when you put your Levy glasses on. I’m not condoning the comment or agreeing at all. But from a business point of view, the fa cup and carabao are not important anymore.

Take into account they generally only half fill stadiums during cup runs because they are playing the likes of forest green away.

It’s fantastic for lower league and non league clubs, look at Lincoln and Newport (iirc). Both went far and turned the club around soon after. Won’t change a ‘big’ clubs bank balance much
  • Tof33z
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

You can see his point when you put your Levy glasses on. I’m not condoning the comment or agreeing at all. But from a business point of view, the fa cup and carabao are not important anymore.

Take into account they generally only half fill stadiums during cup runs because they are playing the likes of forest green away.

It’s fantastic for lower league and non league clubs, look at Lincoln and Newport (iirc). Both went far and turned the club around soon after. Won’t change a ‘big’ clubs bank balance much

nah but when you haven't won anything for a long time, it's a big deal for the supporters, can't look at everything purely as financial
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

nah but when you haven't won anything for a long time, it's a big deal for the supporters, can't look at everything purely as financial

Ofc, but also they’ve not spent a penny, constantly delaying the new stadium. You think levy cares about supporters? He just cares about business. It’s the same as Leicester. If a managers pre season targets say ‘finish at least 4th’ and nothing about the cups for a bonus, why would he try and get further with a tiny squad? It can’t compete on 4 fronts and right now, in an injury crisis, he has prioritised whatever levy wants him to for a bonus
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited January 2019
    And what difference has it made to Spurs getting into the CL in recent years? All that money's just been sucked up so why would this be any different. They need silverware, another year without it will simply push players like Toby, Kane etc away.

Arsenal wanting Perisic is a bit odd.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

Ofc, but also they’ve not spent a penny, constantly delaying the new stadium. You think levy cares about supporters? He just cares about business. It’s the same as Leicester. If a managers pre season targets say ‘finish at least 4th’ and nothing about the cups for a bonus, why would he try and get further with a tiny squad? It can’t compete on 4 fronts and right now, in an injury crisis, he has prioritised whatever levy wants him to for a bonus

Is it an injury crisis though? Kane and Alli are the only injuries right now. Two players is a crisis?
  • Tof33z
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

Is it an injury crisis though? Kane and Alli are the only injuries right now. Two players is a crisis?

That was my point about Levy. It shouldn't be a crisis but it is because of the long term under investment in the squad

What the stadium really means to their finances, who knows though
  • UM4R
    4633 posts Moderator
    Keano wrote: »
    UM4R wrote: »
    If Perisic goes Arsenal what happens to Europa League Live card? Does the club update?

Believe it says if they move to a club not in either the UCL/EL that they'll remain the same.. which would indicate they'll change it aslong as they're still at a club in European competition @UM4R

thanks @Keano good to know, if he moves to prem his price should go up :smiley: and its a brilliant card
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

That was my point about Levy. It shouldn't be a crisis but it is because of the long term under investment in the squad

What the stadium really means to their finances, who knows though

We went through the exact same thing for a few years and were only really able to spend from 2013/14 onwards. Spurs will go a lot further down before they go up. But that's the risk you take when building a new stadium. Long term its for the best, short term its terrible.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    If Perisic goes Arsenal what happens to Europa League Live card? Does the club update?

Believe it says if they move to a club not in either the UCL/EL that they'll remain the same.. which would indicate they'll change it aslong as they're still at a club in European competition @UM4R

thanks @Keano good to know, if he moves to prem his price should go up :smiley: and its a brilliant card

Also interestingly @UM4R I do believe Perisic won't be able to play for us in Europa, if i'm not mistaken? Same thing happened with Auba last year. Unless i'm getting mixed up. But anyway his card would still get upgraded if we go through.

A potentially 91/92/93 rated Perisic PL card is a game changer.
  • Milner

Oh my god ahahaha
    How to have a bad day:

3 - Inadvertently post your **** pic to Twitter.
    4 - Delete tweet.
    5 - Delete Twitter.

:joy::joy:

Also interestingly @UM4R I do believe Perisic won't be able to play for us in Europa, if i'm not mistaken? Same thing happened with Auba last year. Unless i'm getting mixed up. But anyway his card would still get upgraded if we go through.

Bit of a flaw in their plan that. Someone getting upgraded for a competition they can't play in.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

Kane - 10/10 striker
    Son - 8/10 backup striker
    Llorente 4/10 third choice, never gets a game until no other option

Starting front 4
    Kane
    Son-eriksen-alli

Don’t forget sissokho has been brilliant lately. Sold dembele and ofc son isn’t injured but he’s not available and won’t be fit when comes back im sure. Apologies for using the word ‘injury’ Where I should have said unavailable but I’m sure you knew that already.

Half the squad aren’t reliable once the key players are gone. Trippier has been awful all year, wanyama and dier can’t get or stay fit. Their squad is probably the smallest in the league. They’ve had foyth and someone else make their debuts iirc because nobody else is match fit
  • Currieman
    5043 posts Big Money Move

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

Kane - 10/10 striker

Starting front 4
    Kane
    Son-eriksen-alli

Don’t forget sissokho has been brilliant lately. Sold dembele and ofc son isn’t injured but he’s not available and won’t be fit when comes back im sure. Apologies for using the word ‘injury’ Where I should have said unavailable but I’m sure you knew that already.

Half the squad aren’t reliable once the key players are gone. Trippier has been awful all year, wanyama and dier can’t get or stay fit. Their squad is probably the smallest in the league. They’ve had foyth and someone else make their debuts iirc because nobody else is match fit

Spurs do lack squad depth big time. Their first team is decent but beyond that do they really have that many players pushing to get in the starting 11?

• UM4R
    4633 posts Moderator

@TakeItSlow i think they changed that rule after the Auba transfer last year :lol:
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited January 2019

FA Cup winners - 3.6m

Kane - 10/10 striker

Starting front 4
    Kane
    Son-eriksen-alli

So its Spurs lack of preparation that has been the biggest hinderance? Because even before the stadium mumbo jumbo they literally haven't signed any decent attackers for so long. Even a youngster who has good potential that can come in whenever. Spending 40m on Davinson and 30m on Sissoko, add Lamela to the mix and that's 60m on two attackers when Spurs could have easily signed 3 or 4 very good young players with the right scouting for that money.

• Shshj
    9449 posts League Winner
    - Top 4 is the "priority"
    - Whenever they get close to the title they collapse
    - No trophies
    - New stadium causing financial issues

Sound familiar? They can argue all they want but Spurs are looking a lot like Wenger's Arsenal from 2006-2013 at the moment. They've had a top team for the last three years and haven't progressed, they're running out of excuses.
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    Shshj wrote: »
    - No trophies

Sound familiar? They can argue all they want but Spurs are looking a lot like Wenger's Arsenal from 2006-2013 at the moment. They've had a top team for the last three years and haven't progressed, they're running out of excuses.

spurs team is better than arsenals as well from that period, but still they cant crack it.
    they have been unlucky losing 3 of their best players simultaneously, if the same happened with Liverpool say mane, salah firmino they too would probably end up trophyless. I feel only man city could lose their top 3 players and carry on regardless.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Shshj wrote: »
    - No trophies

I mean our squad was awful in those times, gradually selling off our players didn't help and Spurs have the luxury of TV money coming in. I think we did incredibly well to achieve top 4 during that period. If you can't spend the money then you need a contingency.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    You only got top 4 because there was only 4 good teams though.

It’s like being top 6 now.
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    DaveSaves wrote: »

This.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    edited January 2019

Doesn't make any sense. There's always only really gonna be 4 teams playing at that level for a whole season. When Leicester won it, which wasn't long ago, what was everyones excuse? To consistently make top 4 every single season with the team we had up until 2013 was quite frankly an incredible feat.
  • maymanpele
    14520 posts Has That Special Something
    Arsenal fans living in the glory days of making top 4 :D

• TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    maymanpele wrote: »
    Arsenal fans living in the glory days of making top 4 :D

Once again you come in with no real point and aren't adding anything to the conversation, just looking to wind people up. How sad.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

Doesn't make any sense. There's always only really gonna be 4 teams playing at that level for a whole season. When Leicester won it, which wasn't long ago, what was everyones excuse? To consistently make top 4 every single season with the team we had up until 2013 was quite frankly an incredible feat.

It makes sense you just don’t like to see it

2012/13 - 4th by 1pt. Everton in 6th are 10pts back

2013/14 - 4th. 7 points clear of Everton

2014/15 - 3rd. Utd 4th. 6 clear of Everton in 5th

2015/16 - Freak season. Chelsea 10th. Arsenal’s best season in a decade and 10pts behind the winners

2016/17 - Now there’s 5 teams (Plus Utd in a mess) and you miss out.

2017/18 - 6 teams fighting. You’re 12 points off 4th.
  • Tof33z

It does make sense to me tbh - was having same conversation with my everton mates (sorry to make it about my team but similar point)

Chat was to do with everyone going on about Moyes record compared to recent managers - the league is much tougher these days. There is a distinct top 6 not top 4 as said above, and the lower end teams apart from one or two give anyone a good game, with even City losing to them on occasion. Points are much harder to come by now than any time before, probably because of the sums of money sloshing around. It doesn't always buy success for any one team but surely it is driving the overall levels up