The Football thread: first TOTW hypeeee

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    7561 posts League Winner
    Crossland wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    I think obvious weak links are Maguire/Keane/Henderson/Pickford.

The most important diamond of the side is very weak. Until that changes I don't think conceding goals for fun will change.

Tbh we haven't really got anyone else good enough to replace those players

That's true. I'd give Pope a shot in goal, maybe Winks next to Rice. CB's are a whole different issue, none of them are really good enough so gotta pick the best of a bad bunch.
  • Hicksy2011
    13305 posts Has That Special Something
    Think we gave up on 3atb at the World Cup when it became apparent against Croatia that we lose the midfield entirely in that formation and we need to move one CB in to midfield
    Unfortunately as it stands we don’t have good enough CBs really for that either
    I think this team struggles at the Euros but comes in to its own at the 2022 WC once our billion young CBs and CMs have gone up a level
    Clearly we will have the frontline to compete then
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class
    Play Rice as a 6 and have Hendo and one of Mount/Maddison infront and you have a very capable midfield. Hendo has completely change as a player in the past year. Any pool fan will tell you that. Even the ones (myself included) who despised seeing his name on the team sheet and wanted him gone in 2018
  • ccooaattssyy
    8243 posts League Winner
    Kane
    Sancho Mount Sterling
    Henderson Rice
    Rose Maguire Eric from the pub TAA
    Shilton
  • Alex_cr
    5251 posts Big Money Move
    Kane
    Sancho Mount Sterling
    Henderson Rice
    Rose Maguire Eric from the pub TAA
    Shilton

Eric is decent to be fair
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Think we gave up on 3atb at the World Cup when it became apparent against Croatia that we lose the midfield entirely in that formation and we need to move one CB in to midfield
    Unfortunately as it stands we don’t have good enough CBs really for that either
    I think this team struggles at the Euros but comes in to its own at the 2022 WC once our billion young CBs and CMs have gone up a level
    Clearly we will have the frontline to compete then

I'd agree with this the Euros are a write off with this current setup the 2022 WC is the aim to get a Top team together and playing well
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class
    Portugal won the Euros with a half decent team.

How do you write a competition off 8 months before it even kicks off
  • Alex_cr

I wouldn’t bother if I were you
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner

Portugal had Cristiano ;)
  • holdenwait
    57496 posts National Treasure

and without him playing they won the final still
  • Hicksy2011
    Pickford
    Trippier Gomez Maguire Chilwell
    Trent Winks
    Sancho Whatever Sterling
    Kane

Would love to see it
    CAM I see entirely dependent on form we have so many guys like Maddison, Mount, Alli, Willock, Foden etc etc who knows who will be considered the best in a years time
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner
    Love to see Foden worked into the team
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class

Who did Greece have?
  • Alex_cr
    Pickford
    Trent Winks
    Sancho Whatever Sterling
    Kane

Would love to see it
    CAM I see entirely dependent on form we have so many guys like Maddison, Mount, Alli, Willock, Foden etc etc who knows who will be considered the best in a years time

I can’t be having a player that hasn’t played a top level game in midfield starting there for his country.
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3306 posts National Call-Up
    Have England given up of the 3 Atb?

Trent - Walker - Maguire - Gomez - Chilwell
    Hendo - Rice
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Looks pretty decent on paper

No defensive ability there

If it were up to you they’d play

AWB

Rice - Hendo
    Winks - Ox
    Mount
    Sancho - Kane - Wickham - Sterling

Great bants and response
  • Hicksy2011
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Pickford
    Trent Winks
    Sancho Whatever Sterling
    Kane

Would love to see it

I can’t be having a player that hasn’t played a top level game in midfield starting there for his country.

I would agree with that, but I’m of the opinion that if we play Trent there and he does really well, it increases his chances of moving there for Liverpool and therefore creates a midfielder for us
    Worth the gamble imo because he will be quality for a decade
  • ORANGEeffect05
    21513 posts Club Captain
    Tournaments are weird. One off matches don't always go to the better team or even the team that played better that day. Much harder to fluke it over the span of a 38 game season.
  • ccooaattssyy
    8243 posts League Winner
    Gomez is a good call tbf. I don’t rate Keane at all.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class
    Tournaments are weird. One off matches don't always go to the better team or even the team that played better that day. Much harder to fluke it over the span of a 38 game season.

In the real football section they discovered its completely down to luck. Ain’t that right @El_Nino
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner
    edited September 10

Who did Greece have?

They had Theo Zagorakis (Leicester)he won player of the tournament that Year,and had a stunning tourney run ;)
  • ORANGEeffect05
    21513 posts Club Captain

In the real football section they discovered its completely down to luck. Ain’t that right @El_Nino

Obviously plenty of skill and tactics involved, especially at the highest level. National team football can be a bit more scrappy in general since the players play together much less than at club level.
  • EddieFicio
    21902 posts Club Captain
    What if eric from the pub turns out to be dier
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class

Who did Greece have?

They had Theo Zagorakis (Leicester)he won player of the tournament that Year,and had a stunning tourney run ;)

Zagorakis looks kinda like Maddison and they both play/played for Leicester so if that doesn’t give you hope I dunno what will
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner
    EddieFicio wrote: »

😂😂😂
  • Crossland
    8166 posts League Winner

Who did Greece have?

Zagorakis looks kinda like Maddison and they both play/played for Leicester so if that doesn’t give you hope I dunno what will

Played fairly similar,he was fantastic for Greece in that whole tournament,was such a weird final to watch but hell the Greeks deserved it
  • TakeItSlow
    7561 posts League Winner

@LFC Simon 98

I'm sorry but you can't rib me for saying this exact same thing and not have a go at anyone else for it.
  • ccooaattssyy
    8243 posts League Winner
    EddieFicio wrote: »

As part of Brexit we’ve identified that Eric Diers actually from Portugal, so we’re kicking him out.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

@LFC Simon 98

I'm sorry but you can't rib me for saying this exact same thing and not have a go at anyone else for it.

@TakeItSlow who do you think this was a dig at
  • LFC Simon 98
    17889 posts World Class
    And you outright said favourites going into a final don’t matter. It’s completely down to luck

That’s a bit different.
  • TakeItSlow
    7561 posts League Winner
    And you outright said favourites going into a final don’t matter. It’s completely down to luck

That’s a bit different.

I literally said the exact same thing as Orange. :( You just don't like me.