FIFA 19 PC Demo stutters on Estadio Metropolitano but 100% smooth in Santiago Bernabéu stadium!!

BLaZiNgSPEED
404 posts Sunday League Hero
edited September 2018
Hello, I have been playing the FIFA 19 PC Demo for over 6 hours so far. I do not know if this issue is specific to the PC version only. I have done a search on the forums and nobody has posted having this issue yet.

The problem I am noticing is that when I play the game on the new Estadio Metropolitano stadium the game stutters and is running choppily. While on the other hand if I select the Santiago Bernabéu stadium to play in, the game is 100% butter smooth all on ultra settings hours on.

I have tried the usual experimentation by setting V-Sync On from Nvidia Control Panel, GPU Prefer Maximum Performance, Running Game as Administrator. Trying to set priority to High, Real Time, etc. Disabling Origin in game. But none of this solves the issue.

After playing the demo for over 6 hours I can confirm this stuttering problem only happens on the new Estadio Metropolitano stadium. I guess this must be an optimization issue because there's absolutely no lag/stuttering whatsoever on the Santiago Bernabéu stadium. I have never ever experienced this kind of issue before with past FIFA titles on PC.

Here are my system specifications. Windows 8.1 64-bit, AMD FX 8370, GTX 960 4GB VRAM, 8GB DDR3 RAM. I pass the recommended system requirements for FIFA 19. I also play FIFA 17 PC which I have played for over 1400 hours with no issues maxed out on all stadiums.

I have not updated my Nvidia Drivers yet. However, seeing that this is a specific issue relating to the new stadium it is probably not going to be a driver issue. I'm assuming that it's because this is a new stadium and EA have not had the chance to optimize it yet.

Comments

• You're not alone. I have exactly the same problem. On Santiago Bernabeu smooth, 60 fps all time, on Metropolitano 45-55 fps and stutters.
  • BeardedBerk
    1607 posts Play-Off Hero
    Fine on my rig, very smooth and fluid
    Ryzen 2500
    1070 gtx
  • Sami1999
    224 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I'm getting this stutter as well if I use Dx12 API

With Dx11, the stuttering is almost gone. Try to use Dx11 and see if it works.
  • Alemas_2012
    15524 posts World Class
    edited September 2018
    For me, the FPS tanks on both stadiums when there are "cinematic" replays.
    Most of the times it recovers, but sometimes the FPS stays down and only a restart of the game fixes things.
    But that happens in FIFA 18 as well, since an nVidia driver update.
  • same here man how to fix it ??
  • Thamightyboro
    7108 posts Big Money Move
    Fine on my Radeon might be a green machine issue
  • I ALWAYS have more than 60fps while playing but the demo starts lagging like I have a bad connection or 20fps I don't get it
  • Sami1999
    Nestuuum wrote: »
    I ALWAYS have more than 60fps while playing but the demo starts lagging like I have a bad connection or 20fps I don't get it

This is happening with Dx12.

Have you all tried to run the game with Dx11? Switching to Dx11 caused a huge jump in performance and those stutters during loading mini game, and cutscenes completely wen away here.

I'm using 980 Ti by the way. I heard that Pascal GPUs can handle Dx12 in fifa 19 properly but I can't confirm that.
    But for older cards, its better to just stick with Dx11 unless EA optimizes Dx12.
  • Alemas_2012
    15524 posts World Class
    Sami1999 wrote: »
    I ALWAYS have more than 60fps while playing but the demo starts lagging like I have a bad connection or 20fps I don't get it

Have you all tried to run the game with Dx11? Switching to Dx11 caused a huge jump in performance and those stutters during loading mini game, and cutscenes completely wen away here.

I'm using 980 Ti by the way. I heard that Pascal GPUs can handle Dx12 in fifa 19 properly but I can't confirm that.
    But for older cards, its better to just stick with Dx11 unless EA optimizes Dx12.

Is the difference between Dx 11 and Dx 12 on FIFA noticeable?
  • I tried at dx 11 and 12 and it is the same. Santiago Bernabeu very well, smooth 60fps, Metropolitano 40-45fps, stuttering. Tried install new graphic drivers but still the same problem with Metropolitano stadium.

My specs: i5, gtx 660, 8gb ram.
  • Sami1999
    edited September 2018

There is no difference in graphics. But it made a lot of difference in performance here.

With Dx12. my game was freezing during cutscenes.
  • Alemas_2012
    15524 posts World Class

There is no difference in graphics. But it made a lot of difference in performance here.

With Dx12. my game was freezing during cutscenes.

Wait what, there is no difference? :D
    Got to try it out myself at this point...
  • Alemas_2012
    15524 posts World Class
    edited September 2018
    What's the point of having a DirectX 12 option that causes stutters and FPS drops, and has no discernible differences to the DirectX 11 version??
    I haven't had gameplay this buttery smooth in... ages. Probably since FIFA 16 or 17.
    Even loading is way faster and way smoother.
    What the hell.
  • You are not the only one Blazzing. The exact same thing happens to me. It might be just a demo thing.

Regards,
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    I am happy to know that I am not the only one with this problem! As I am on Windows 8.1, DX12 is not supported anyway so that will not be the problem. I do know however, DX12 boosts frame rates for AMD cards vs DX11 but has worse frame rates with Nvidia cards. This is another reason why I did not upgrade to Windows 10 yet because DX12 is not beneficial for Nvidia cards.

Those such as @BeardedBerk who have a powerful graphics card like a GTX 1070 probably don't have this issue simply because the GPU is able to pump sufficient fps to eliminate the stuttering in the Metropolitano stadium. However, I am pretty sure that if he uses Fraps to compare the fps in this new stadium he will see less frames per second compared to Santiago Bernabéu.

The good news however, when I lower the resolution to 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 the stuttering goes away completely. But at 3840x2160 (4K res) the stuttering appears in that new stadium. Now you could argue that my GTX 960 is not really designed for 4K gaming. I totally acknowledge that. But the fact that I am able to play FIFA 17 maxed out at 4K and FIFA 19 Demo on Santiago Bernabéu smoothly suggests that the optimisation issue is related to the new stadium.

I mean I would be happy to buy FIFA 19, but it would be a little sad to have to reduce the resolution to 2560x1440 to play smoothly at the new stadium(s) considering the fact that the game runs butter smooth at 60 fps in the Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Sadly this year FIFA 19 Demo only has these 2 stadiums, so I don't have the chance to experiment to see if this issue happens in other stadiums as well. I'll need to buy the game in order to find out.

In FIFA 18 PC Demo I had a different, more serious problem where after 1 hour I would get random micro freezes for a few seconds in the game for which I did not buy it. The good news is that this issue has been fixed in FIFA 19 PC Demo finally! No more micro freezes just like FIFA 17. But it would be great and I'd be sincerely grateful if EA fix the issue with stuttering related to new stadiums so I can play it just as smoothly again at 4K without having to lower the resolution to 2K. This is definitely the case of optimisation as this never was a case in FIFA 17 PC. There's no logic why in Santiago Bernabéu the game is running so smooth!
  • BeardedBerk
    1607 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'll look into it @BLaZiNgSPEED and let you know of fps I get in both stadiums
  • In my case i must change resolution from full HD to absolutely minimum to have constant 60fps on Metropolitano, when in Santiago Bernabeu I can play smooth on full HD :/ Sadly we can check it only on these two stadiums, because maybe on other stadiums will be worse. This is first fifa demo, where we can't check how it will look like on other weather conditions. I am afraid on Metropolitano, night - rain/fog it will be unplayable at all.
  • Sami1999
    GTX 1000 series have less issues with Dx12 because they were made with dx12 in mind.

Anyway, why would I drop my resolution to 1440x900 and even then get few stutters on dx12 whereas I can just play at 2880x1800 with no stutters on Dx11?
  • Sumanth
    84 posts Park Captain
    Hey I have the exact same issue mentioned ... stuttering noticeable on metropolitano only ...at the bernabeu it is really smooth ...I have a GTX 970
  • I found semi- solution for low fps in Metropolitano. I've installed rivatuner and locked 60 fps in fifa setup and in rivatuner setup and now don't have stuttering and fps is constant 60 on both stadiums.
  • Jezior wrote: »
    I found semi- solution for low fps in Metropolitano. I've installed rivatuner and locked 60 fps in fifa setup and in rivatuner setup and now don't have stuttering and fps is constant 60 on both stadiums.

can you send link for riva tuner couldnt find it
  • There is tutorial and links :
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    Sumanth wrote: »
    Hey I have the exact same issue mentioned ... stuttering noticeable on metropolitano only ...at the bernabeu it is really smooth ...I have a GTX 970
    Then this should explain that it is not a lack of GPU power! Your GTX 970 is more powerful than my GTX 960, so if you have stuttering then it pretty much concludes that it is an optimisation fault with the stadium.

Meanwhile I have done an experiment by forcing 8x MSAA with Nvidia Control Panel and still the demo is 100% butter smooth with the Bernabeu stadium but stutters in Metropolitano.

I tried using RivaTuner, sadly it made little difference to the elimination of the stuttering problem. I have no idea why Metropolitano stadium has got to stutter. At first I thought it was due to greater crowd spectators. But then when I compared the crowd capacity of both of these stadiums, I see Capacity: 67,703 for Metropolitano vs Capacity: 81,044 for Santiago Bernabeu so that shouldn't really be contributing to any frame rate drop!

There are more (almost 15 thousand) crowd spectators in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium compared to the new Wanda Metropolitano stadium, yet Bernabeu is so smooth it's explainable other than it being more optimised. :s

Patch update will probably fix this, if not, I'll have to settle for a lower resolution like 2560x1440 where there's no stuttering. But it would've been great if I could play at 3840x2160 even though visually there isn't a very big difference.
  • maksi
    6611 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2018
    Install Afterburner and check CPU usage while playing the game. Frame drops and stutters usually happen if CPU usage is near to 100%.

That's of course if your GPU isn't bottlenecking (playing on lower resolution/details doesn't help).
  • Sumanth
    84 posts Park Captain
    Then this should explain that it is not a lack of GPU power! Your GTX 970 is more powerful than my GTX 960, so if you have stuttering then it pretty much concludes that it is an optimisation fault with the stadium.

Meanwhile I have done an experiment by forcing 8x MSAA with Nvidia Control Panel and still the demo is 100% butter smooth with the Bernabeu stadium but stutters in Metropolitano.

I tried using RivaTuner, sadly it made little difference to the elimination of the stuttering problem. I have no idea why Metropolitano stadium has got to stutter. At first I thought it was due to greater crowd spectators. But then when I compared the crowd capacity of both of these stadiums, I see Capacity: 67,703 for Metropolitano vs Capacity: 81,044 for Santiago Bernabeu so that shouldn't really be contributing to any frame rate drop!

There are more (almost 15 thousand) crowd spectators in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium compared to the new Wanda Metropolitano stadium, yet Bernabeu is so smooth it's explainable other than it being more optimised. :s

Patch update will probably fix this, if not, I'll have to settle for a lower resolution like 2560x1440 where there's no stuttering. But it would've been great if I could play at 3840x2160 even though visually there isn't a very big difference.

Yes ..I really feel it is an optimization issue ...it will be fixed in the full game hopefully
  • Sami1999

Wait, does Nvidia Control Panel MSAA even work with current gen FiFA games?

I tried forcing MSAA on FiFA 15,16,17,18 and really saw no difference. Tried several combinations like:

MSAA off from fifa setup and then override 8x msaa from nvcp= Seems like no anti aliasing, everythings jagged.

4x MSAA from fifa setup and then enhance 8xmsaa from nvcp= Didnt really see any difference between normal ingame 4x and with 8x enhanced.

I don't think nvcp msaa works with current gen fifa games, thus no performance impact.
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    I guess MSAA no longer works for latest FIFA using Nvidia Control Panel. It worked for FIFA 11 PC. But now I realise it no longer does. Actually I was misguided a couple of years ago for FIFA 17 PC that turning off MSAA from fifa config and forcing 4x MSAA from nvcp fixes their stuttering. The game probably meant that they were playing without MSAA that's why it was smooth for them.

However, in my case it seems to have no bearing effect turning off MSAA as the stutter in Metropolitano still persists. But silky smooth in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

For the benefit of the doubt I have made sure to set MSAA_LEVEL = 3 which is 4x MSAA and removed the 4x MSAA from Nvidia Control Panel. There is absolutely no stuttering whatsoever in FIFA 17 and FIFA 18 PC Demo in all stadiums maxed out at 4K resolution.
    maksi wrote: »
    Install Afterburner and check CPU usage while playing the game. Frame drops and stutters usually happen if CPU usage is near to 100%.

That's of course if your GPU isn't bottlenecking (playing on lower resolution/details doesn't help).
    But as said previously this is not a CPU issue because there's no such stuttering like this in FIFA 17 PC which I have played for over 1485+ hours. There's no stuttering in FIFA 18 PC Demo both of which use the same Frostbite Engine. The only difference is graphical quality between FIFA 19 and 17.

The nature of this type of stuttering is unique to the new stadium. A GTX 960 4GB is not going to bottleneck an AMD FX 8370. And the FX 8370 is more than the recommended requirements for FIFA 17, 18 and 19. The last time I've experienced stuttering was in FIFA 11 PC under snow weather conditions which was later fixed by official patch update.

Since lowering the resolution from 3840x2160 to 2560x1600/1440 eliminates the stuttering completely it means the issue is not CPU related but more likely to be something else. I also do not have any overheating issues. As this issue happens only with that particular stadium and not in the other. If it had happened with both stadiums then I understand and can fault my PC.

It is also not a driver related issue since looking at the RequiredDriverInfo for FIFA 19 Demo the version it requires is "NVIDIA" VersionMajor="385". I have 391.01. Have not tried latest drivers yet, but seeing that others are saying they also have the same problem, I feel discouraged to even try the latest drivers. I don't think we need a GTX 1070 or 1080 to run the game perfectly smooth under this new Metropolitano stadium, if it does it signals bad optimization with the game.
  • Sami1999
    This just might be EA not bothering to optimize their game properly.

FiFA 12 and 13 both looked better than FiFA 14 on PC and yet FiFA 14 wouldn't even start on my laptop [ATi mobility radeon hd 3840].

So yeah it sucks but hopefully EA improves optimization via update.
  • Alemas_2012
    15524 posts World Class

FiFA 12 and 13 both looked better than FiFA 14 on PC and yet FiFA 14 wouldn't even start on my laptop [ATi mobility radeon hd 3840].

When did EA ever release an optimisation update for PC??
  • Sami1999

When did EA ever release an optimisation update for PC??

FiFA 11?