Why are there no American Icons for FUT 19

RayS
37873 posts International Superstar
edited September 2018
FUT 16 saw not one, but two American Icons (or Legends as they were formerly known), Landon Donovan and Alexi Lalas.

FUT 18 rolled by and no American Icons. Okay, maybe someone messed up or couldn’t get a license in time...

FUT 19 rolls in and still... not a single American Icon.

With EA as an American company, and the US as one of FUT’s major playing fields, I seriously don’t understand why EA have failed to give us even a token American Icon.

giphy.gif

Also I know there are a ton of other nationalities that were overlooked in the Icon selection.

And here I thought EA’s rebranding of “Legends” as “Icons” was to be more inclusive of players from different regions that were iconic but not necessarily “legends.”

Comments

• I feel your pain mate, there is now a player from N.Ireland, R.Ireland, Wales and England

Bit not a single Scottish icon...EA clearly hate us
  • Edward220967
    1622 posts Play-Off Hero
    I can't complain since I'm Dutch but I'd like to see some more icons from different countries like the USA as well
  • Edward220967
    1622 posts Play-Off Hero
    At least we have Nakata in normal FUT now o:)
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    At least we have Nakata in normal FUT now o:)

Exactly, don't be greedy @RayS ;)
  • Adrian095
    34071 posts National Team Captain
    No Ghanaian legends either. Smh
  • WarrenBarton
    10986 posts Has That Special Something
    On the bright side, there should be a nice golden Yedlin card this year :)

But yeah it’s not fair that some nations missed out, someone like Graham Souness would have been nice for Scotland, some USA guy and maybe a couple of Tamil’s and a Mongolian or 2. I mean we got an Ozzy but nobody from PNG :'(
  • nextqprmanager
    3790 posts National Call-Up
    RayS Isnt EA Canadian?
  • UrboiStev
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    Pretty sure that there hasn't been any good American football players in the history of the game.
  • ColeWorld
    16645 posts World Class
    Because noboy deserves and Rating of atleast 89 for their prime cards
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner

But yeah it’s not fair that some nations missed out, someone like Graham Souness would have been nice for Scotland, some USA guy and maybe a couple of Tamil’s and a Mongolian or 2. I mean we got an Ozzy but nobody from PNG :'(

There are tonnes of Iconic players that haven't been included, especially from Scotland, a lot of people forget just how good some of the Scottish players were in the 80s
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    edited September 2018
    UrboiStev wrote: »
    Pretty sure that there hasn't been any good American football players in the history of the game.

Erm Jerry Rice, Tom Brady, Larry Fitzgerald, Brett Favre ;)
  • WarrenBarton
    selb wrote: »

There are tonnes of Iconic players that haven't been included, especially from Scotland, a lot of people forget just how good some of the Scottish players were in the 80s

Yeah Colin Hendry would be nice, especially because of his hair B)
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner

Yeah Colin Hendry would be nice, especially because of his hair B)

I'd personally love Graham Souness, Alan Hansen, Ally McCoist and Jim Baxter from Scotland
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    I'm no Celtic fan but Danny McGrain would be a good shout that also addresses the lack of full backs.

Other players like Kenny Dalgleish, Alan Hanson, Davie Cooper, Graham Souness, etc, all have a strong case of being better than some of the icons they did select.
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    Ishibum wrote: »
    I'm no Celtic fan but Danny McGrain would be a good shout that also addresses the lack of full backs.

Other players like Kenny Dalgleish, Alan Hanson, Davie Cooper, Graham Souness, etc, all have a strong case of being better than some of the icons they did select.

And they all have Iconic status in the game, even from those who didn't / don't support the teams they played for!
  • truegunn3r
    13796 posts World Class

Who?
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    edited September 2018
    truegunn3r wrote: »

Who?

They're arguably some of the greatest American Football players of all time, look them up if you don't know ;) have a word @RayS
  • WFCBagnall
    99699 posts Moderator
    None are worthy

Don't @ me
  • Archie gemill, Colin Hendry, Ally mccoist, Jim Leighton, Tom Boyd to name a few....

I'm sure the Dutch fans know all about gemill ;)
  • Fab
    19737 posts Club Captain
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    None are worthy

Don't @ me

Looks like I got beat by a minute
  • WarrenBarton
    Although I think Dagleish more than deserves one, I think he wouldn’t be great in this current Fifa as he wasn’t strong or fast enough from what I saw as a kid (admittedly I don’t remember his prime years in the 80’s) Souness thwould be an absolute animal and would have an awesome moustache and perm :)

@RayS, what happened to the next Pele, Freddie Adu?
  • selb
    7400 posts League Winner
    Fab wrote: »
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    None are worthy

Don't @ me

Looks like I got beat by a minute

You're losing your touch fab :D
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    17668 posts World Class
    edited September 2018
    Although I think Dagleish more than deserves one, I think he wouldn’t be great in this current Fifa as he wasn’t strong or fast enough from what I saw as a kid (admittedly I don’t remember his prime years in the 80’s) Souness thwould be an absolute animal and would have an awesome moustache and perm :)

@RayS, what happened to the next Pele, Freddie Adu?

Doesn't he play in the Indian league now or something? He was a beast in FM a few years back
  • GoodnightIrene
    4195 posts National Call-Up
    Plain and simple, a poor standard of football, none deserve it.
  • WFCBagnall
    99699 posts Moderator
    Plain and simple, a poor standard of football, none deserve it.

*Soccer
  • Diggy
    16247 posts World Class
    Because it’s an oxymoron
  • forearms
    6311 posts Big Money Move
    truegunn3r wrote: »

Who?

LOL
  • TeamRem
    2341 posts Fans' Favourite
    The game is tailored for premier league followers and that’s about it, is why.
  • TeamRem wrote: »

Not necessarily true mate, the premier league is the best and most popular league in the world. So it's hardly surprising it's popular in a game. Going by the ratings so far is say serie A is going to be VERY popular this year, especially with the inclusion of Ronaldo
  • Pughy30
    30728 posts National Team Captain
    TeamRem wrote: »

The Prem has nothing to do with America not getting icons :D . The reason there's no American icons is because no American players deserve to be, it's hardly a dominant country in the sport it's like saying why is there no icons from Mongolia