OT : Quick Router Question

uhMaZiiNq
11278 posts Has That Special Something
edited September 2018
Follow up on my last thread that some people were helpful with. I ended up buying a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router and plugging it into my Comcast wifi and then ran into a double NAT issue which I believe I finally fixed that (hopefully permanent this time) but even with an open NAT my speeds are the same whether I use the Comcast 2 in1 or the nighthawk router which has me questioning why I got this router in the first place.

Now I just ordered a 50 foot flat Ethernet cable that I'm hoping will fit through the small crack on the side of my door and my question is do I return this router if I'm gonna hardwire or will the nighthawk make a huge difference when it's a wired connection? Thanks

Comments

• uhMaZiiNq
    Also should mention if I do keep this router and run my wired connection through it everyone else in the house would be using the Comcast router so would that mean even if other people were using stuff/downloading things I wouldn't be effected? Because I was wired to the Comcast 2 in 1 at my old house but whenever my brother would download something on his Xbox I would lag like crazy and don't want to deal with that again
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited September 2018
    I'm drunk but from what I gathered you purchased a new router in an attempt to improve the speed of your internet? Doesn't work like that bud.

What you receive from the exchange is what you receive. No router no matter how expensive it is will improve the speed. You might get better range for wi-fi but that is it.

You need to upgrade your service and depending on where you live you might be restricted in that regard.

Also give us a speed test screenshot.
    Post edited by IntoxicatedSeal on
  • uhMaZiiNq
    I'm drunk but from what I gathered you purchased a new router in an attempt to improved the speed of your internet? Doesn't work like that bud.

What you receive from the exchange is what you receive. No router no matter how expensive it is will improve the speed. You might get better range for wi-fi but that is it.

You need to upgrade your service and depending on where you live you might be restricted in that regard.

Also give us a speed test screenshot.

Does a better signal not mean better speeds? Maybe the main point of these routers is so when multiple devices are active the connection stays stable? No idea how this stuff works tbh. The speeds definitely aren't as high as they are supposed to be though 100%
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited September 2018
    Only if that signal is really bad to begin with. This is clearly not the issue in your case.

You are receiving a certain amount of bandwidth going in to your household, that bandwidth is divided by everyone using it. The more people using it the more it is divided.

To use an analogy. You buy a box of 20 mcnuggets to share with four people, you do not get 20 mcnuggets each.

Also even if you are literally the one single person using the internet you are never going to get the advertised speeds unless you live in the literal perfect area. They sell you on an "up to" speed.

It is your service you need to upgrade. You wasted money on the router.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    If you have 20mb's going in to your house then literally no hardware you buy will make that go up.
  • Paawky
    2549 posts Fans' Favourite
    If you have 20mb's going in to your house then literally no hardware you buy will make that go up.

They just keep the signal going right ? Like if the modem was on the opposite side of the house it would keep the signal from getting weaker?
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    edited September 2018
    Only if that signal is really bad to begin with. This is clearly not the issue in your case.

You are receiving a certain amount of bandwidth going in to your household, that bandwidth is divided by everyone using it. The more people using it the more it is divided.

To use an analogy. You buy a box of 20 mcnuggets to share with four people, you do not get 20 mcnuggets each.

Also even if you are literally the one single person using the internet you are never going to get the advertised speeds unless you live in the literal perfect area. They sell you on an "up to" speed.

A good router with congestion control will make a big difference. You can prioritize your device, give set amounts of bandwidth to the family. When I'm playing online, I give myself 60% upload, download, put the console into hyper-traffic, all data packets are prioritized with no network queues.

I also get an improved bufferbloat rating, my connection is more stable than when I used the default router. I can even select my preferred dedicated server, block knob heads who manipulate their connection in peer to peer games.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited September 2018
    Paawky wrote: »

They just keep the signal going right ? Like if the modem was on the opposite side of the house it would keep the signal from getting weaker?

Unless you are living in a mansion then a single modern router should be more then enough. If you do have that issue however then setting up multiple access points can be helpful. Nearer the better.

Again thought, that bandwidth is still going to be divided if that was what you were alluring to.

Also plug it in to the main telephone socket, not the various extensions around the house.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Sad moment when I realise that providing all this advise during this time frame would have netted me like £40 by now in my old job.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Retro_G wrote: »

A good router with congestion control will make a big difference. You can prioritize your device, give set amounts of bandwidth to the family. When I'm playing online, I give myself 60% upload, download, put the console into hyper-traffic, all data packets are prioritized with no network queues.

I also get an improved bufferbloat rating, my connection is more stable than when I used the default router. I can even select my preferred dedicated server, block knob heads who manipulate their connection in peer to peer games.

This is a good point but probably not the issue that the OP is suffering from.

He has literally purchased a high end router in an attempt to directly increase the bandwidth going in to his house.
  • uhMaZiiNq

Nah I've had the same provider and usually have 150+ down and have seen very inconsistent speeds since moving. I have seen it up there a couple times since but it's been going all over the place
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited September 2018
    uhMaZiiNq wrote: »

Nah I've had the same provider and usually have 150+ down and have seen very inconsistent speeds since moving. I have seen it up there a couple times since but it's been going all over the place

That's how traffic works in the peak hours. More people using it the less you get. You are simply suffering from throttling by the the ISP.

Call them up and arrange a solution.

Your hardware won't make a difference.

• uhMaZiiNq
    edited September 2018

That's how traffic works in the peak hours. More people using it the less you get. You are simply suffering from throttling by the the ISP.

I was mostly doing all these tests early in the morning when nobody else was on anything or even home
  • EddieFicio
    21319 posts Club Captain
    edited September 2018

I was mostly doing all these tests early in the morning when nobody else was on anything or even home

It doesn't work like that. Its definitely your ISP. When he talks about peak hours and traffic he means in an area comprising several houses/builings which your home is a part of.

You need to stop trying to DIY and call them up
  • uhMaZiiNq
    edited September 2018
    EddieFicio wrote: »

It doesn't work like that. Its definitely your ISP. When he talks about peak hours and traffic he means in an area comprising several houses/builings which your home is a part of.

Ah I am on a Main Street now so that's probably the issue. What do I tell them exactly to resolve this? The guy they sent to set it up barely spoke English and kinda just shrugged when I brought up some concerns I had since I had a feeling where my room was especially with it being above the set up that I was going to run into issues with wifi. Hoping the long Ethernet cord helps but it seems that the router was a waste and needs to be returned while I still can.
  • EddieFicio
    21319 posts Club Captain
    edited September 2018

Ah I am on a Main Street now so that's probably the issue. What do I tell them exactly to resolve this? The guy they sent to set it up barely spoke English and kinda just shrugged when I brought up some concerns I had since I had a feeling where my room was especially with it being above the set up that I was going to run into issues with wifi. Hoping the long Ethernet cord helps but it seems that the router was a waste and needs to be returned while I still can.

The ethernet cable will give you a stable connection for gaming so thats good to have regardless.

Call them and tell them your speeds are too low during the day and way below what you are paying, they will probably do some tests on the phone and if its a throttling issue they might help you. If its not they will probably send someone to check the cables inside your house (the ones where your router hooks into) and the main box outside.
    Post edited by EddieFicio on
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited September 2018

Eddie summed it up.

Yea the more densley populated the area the more prone you are to it.

Complaining to the ISP and even threatening to leave can often make a big difference. If not then the only way improve things is to literally change house.

Since you are going wired anyway I'd probably send that router back and save some cash. My rubbish Vodafone router still works fine and it's got several layers of concrete to get by.
  • dylwms
    2306 posts Fans' Favourite
    Distance from exchange makes all he difference. Have you got fiber in your area? It makes a massive difference
  • uhMaZiiNq
    So the 50 foot Ethernet cable came in and I'm 100% returning the nighthawk for sure and currently my speeds are excellent and have gotten as high as 319 Mb/s so I think this will do. Thankfully the flat cable just fits in the crack of my door

Thanks everyone who helped
  • IDARYL
    5625 posts Big Money Move
    So the 50 foot Ethernet cable came in and I'm 100% returning the nighthawk for sure and currently my speeds are excellent and have gotten as high as 319 Mb/s so I think this will do. Thankfully the flat cable just fits in the crack of my door

Thanks everyone who helped

You buy a night hawk if you want to give you the most internet to the Xbox etc, and you can chose the distance you connect to online.
    Better for cod so you can minipulate it so you get host, if you see a guy in the lobby getting loads of kills and lagging everywhere its most likely he's not got a bad connection but using one of these devices