International Football Lounge

Comments

• mHazard
    13785 posts Has That Special Something
    Pukki <3
  • apfelmus_maCHer1
    45514 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Great goal from zuber
  • Will this Uefa Nations League be in Fifa career mode for Fifa 19?
  • jajce111
    2762 posts Fans' Favourite
    ChrisW1991 wrote: »
    Will this Uefa Nations League be in Fifa career mode for Fifa 19?

No.
  • Alemas_2012
    13756 posts Has That Special Something
    Poor Shaw. :/
  • RUS_PreDaToR
    3286 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2018
    Alastair wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight. England back in action against some mediocre team who struggled in the World Cup eventually losing to a team outside the World’s top 70.

Since the Nations League anthem is dreadful (https://youtu.be/jVtymEBxxI0) here’s the greatest anthem in world sport to get in the mood.

My hairs stand on end every time I hear that. So many great memories of internationals down the years (and of amazing World Cup games down the years).

Russia is back on the rise, pipe down. Expect a Spain master class vs a medicore at best england side.

You okay bud?

@Alastair
  • UrboiStev
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    Wtf, stupid refs. That's never a foul. Should be 2 -2
  • '96dc2
    8549 posts League Winner
    UrboiStev wrote: »

It was a foul.
  • UrboiStev
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    '96dc2 wrote: »

It was a foul.

U know nothing
  • '96dc2
    8549 posts League Winner
    '96dc2 wrote: »

It was a foul.

U know nothing

He took De Gea’s legs out.
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator
    Looking forward to tonight. England back in action against some mediocre team who struggled in the World Cup eventually losing to a team outside the World’s top 70.

Since the Nations League anthem is dreadful (https://youtu.be/jVtymEBxxI0) here’s the greatest anthem in world sport to get in the mood.

My hairs stand on end every time I hear that. So many great memories of internationals down the years (and of amazing World Cup games down the years).

Russia is back on the rise, pipe down. Expect a Spain master class vs a medicore at best england side.

Sarcasm clearly never made it last the iron curtain then. :joy:

I’m yet to see highlights of the match (can’t believe ITV lost the live coverage rights to sky) but from what I’ve heard a draw would have been a fair result (that’s what I was expecting going in to the match).

I have seen Welbeck’s disallowed goal though and it’s one of those 50/50 calls. Some refs would give it and some wouldn’t. Obviously the goalkeeper deserves protection when jumping for a catch but it does look a bit like DDG throws himself into Welbeck (really need to see a reverse camera angle to be sure).
  • Alemas_2012

I’m yet to see highlights of the match (can’t believe ITV lost the live coverage rights to sky) but from what I’ve heard a draw would have been a fair result (that’s what I was expecting going in to the match).

I have seen Welbeck’s disallowed goal though and it’s one of those 50/50 calls. Some refs would give it and some wouldn’t. Obviously the goalkeeper deserves protection when jumping for a catch but it does look a bit like DDG throws himself into Welbeck (really need to see a reverse camera angle to be sure).

What the hell, the England national team isn't always on free-to-air anymore?!
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018

Nope. Sky have exclusive rights to the Nations League (S4C have Welsh games in Welsh language only - not sure about Scotland and NI). ITV still have friendlies and WC/Euro qualifiers (Sky show all non-England UEFA qualifiers though).
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator
    One thing I hadn’t realised is that the results of the Nations League directly impact on Euro 2020 and 2022 World Cup qualifying. Pots for the Euro 2020 Qualifying and 2022 WC Qualifying are done based on which Nations League group you’re in. So for example if England get relegated we will end up drawing one of the top nations in qualifying for both tournaments. These matches are arguably more important than most of the normal qualifiers.
  • Alemas_2012

Nope. Sky have exclusive rights to the Nations League (S4C have Welsh games in Welsh language only - not sure about Scotland and NI). ITV still have friendlies and WC/Euro qualifiers (Sky show all non-England UEFA qualifiers though).

Jeez. That's kinda sad, really.
    When was it announced, before the WC or after?
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018

I only found out on Thursday so it wasn’t very well announced whenever it was.

Sky’s deal for UEFA qualifiers started for the WC quals so it may have been announced with that. That deal didn’t include any home nation matches though.
  • Alemas_2012

It was actually announced way back in January 2017...
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator

It was actually announced way back in January 2017...

No wonder everyone missed it. The Nations League wasn’t even a confirmed format back then.
  • Pwalie86
    902 posts Semi-Pro
    edited September 2018
    England's friendly on Tuesday is also not on ITV so that's really odd.

After the result on Thursday, I'm happy we're taking on a full-strength Denmark now. Really looking forward to watching it, as it actually has a great feel of competiveness. Now when the international break comes around again I'll be less annoyed, because I do love club football way more. The less friendlies, the better.

Oh and that Fifa theme sounds like a Rocky movie where he took on Sepp Blatter and it was his training montage music. :D
  • Alemas_2012
    Pwalie86 wrote: »

Great way of keeping up the WC hype, put the matches behind a paywall...
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator

After the result on Thursday, I'm happy we're taking on a full-strength Denmark now. Really looking forward to watching it, as it actually has a great feel of competiveness. Now when the international break comes around again I'll be less annoyed, because I do love club football way more. The less friendlies, the better.

Oh and that Fifa theme sounds like a Rocky movie where he took on Sepp Blatter and it was his training montage music. :D

Looks like that's on Sky as well. It appears ITV only have qualifiers now. Here is the announcement.

It's a good job S4C cover Wales. I'll do my usual of watching that with the 5 Live Radio commentary at the same time. Should be a great game tonight. Reckon Wales will win it 2-1 though.

You've not heard it before? It's played as the teams walk out in any FIFA match (friendly/WC - although it wasn't used in Russia for some reason). Guess Wales haven't got much experience of WCs so won't have heard it. ;)
  • RUS_PreDaToR
    3286 posts National Call-Up

Its real easy to spot sarcasm on the internet isnt it? Besides the way you put it, it sounds far from it. Isnt it a typical english thing to do when they are wrong to pass it off as sarcasm.
  • Alastair wrote: »

Looks like that's on Sky as well. It appears ITV only have qualifiers now. Here is the announcement.

It's a good job S4C cover Wales. I'll do my usual of watching that with the 5 Live Radio commentary at the same time. Should be a great game tonight. Reckon Wales will win it 2-1 though.

You've not heard it before? It's played as the teams walk out in any FIFA match (friendly/WC - although it wasn't used in Russia for some reason). Guess Wales haven't got much experience of WCs so won't have heard it. ;)

Damn, it's certainly not a day of rest for some! Moder-hater or moderator..I'm unsure. :D :D

Ah thanks for the link. I'll have a check on there. And if you're watching the Wales game on S4C, I'm sure there's an English commentary version with the red button or something like that.

I'll be a little negative and go with 1-1 on this evening's game.

• Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator

Its real easy to spot sarcasm on the internet isnt it? Besides the way you put it, it sounds far from it. Isnt it a typical english thing to do when they are wrong to pass it off as sarcasm.

Yep it's very easy. I spotted it in your post here. ;)

The one thing I do know is that it's a typical English thing to be pessimistic (apart from when we reach the finals of major football tournaments - that's the only time an Englishman is ever over optimistic in sport). If you ever hear an Englishman expect us to beat Spain outside of a major tournament then they're either drunk or joking (and I wasn't drunk at 9am).

Damn, it's certainly not a day of rest for some! Moder-hater or moderator..I'm unsure. :D :D

Ah thanks for the link. I'll have a check on there. And if you're watching the Wales game on S4C, I'm sure there's an English commentary version with the red button or something like that.

I'll be a little negative and go with 1-1 on this evening's game.

:joy: I've not heard that one before but it's a good one.

Anyway, I actually want Wales to do well. I'm part English, part Welsh and part Scottish (so I guess I'm just British - that makes the Six Nations a nightmare to follow). However, living on the English side of the Black Mountains I'm used to poking fun at the Welsh when possible.

I never knew S4C did English stuff. I'll have a look at that later. Thanks. :)
  • Haha got to love a bit of banter. I lived in England for a long time so heard allsorts of stuff and it's great fun.

So basically listening to English radio of Wales game on S4C...where you sat there with a can of Irn-Bru by any chance? :D Can't get more British than that lol.

Although not sure they do English commentary for every game now I think about it. It does appear as an option when Welsh Premier League is on live.
  • Alemas_2012
    edited September 2018
    Carvalho's way more of a baller than I thought.
  • Alemas_2012
    RIP Croatia.
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator
    Moved to FIFA 19.
  • Alastair
    9126 posts Moderator

Great to see Germany will host Euro 2024. Might try and go to that one as the German's always put on a good tournament.

The UK Government has also tonight backed a potential England, Scotland, Wales, NI and ROI bid for the 2030 World Cup. Looks like Football is coming home after all. ;)
  • Alemas_2012
    Bumping a dead thread, shame on you. :|