OT: Need Internet Help...

uhMaZiiNq
11278 posts Has That Special Something
So I just moved and my room is upstairs and the plan was to have the modem in my room like I did before so I could hardwire all my stuff but instead they set the modem up downstairs since I guess we aren't allowed to drill holes so I'm not entirely sure what to do now.

When I did the Speedtest on my Xbox the up/down were both blank for whatever reason and on PS4 I have a 9 download and a 2 upload when at my old house with the same provider my download was always 150+ for the most part.

Can anybody let me know what the best solution is? Thanks

Comments

• coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Ethernet plugs.

Get a hub for the one in your room to feed into. Multi sockets then.
  • uhMaZiiNq
    coatsy wrote: »
    Ethernet plugs.

Can you link me? Have no idea what that is lol I would just run a long Ethernet cable through the house but then I wouldn't be able to close my door
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?store=2405&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xtaixwwlqq&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014 (PLA)%20TP%20-%20Link%20Excluding%20Smart%20Tech~1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20-%20Link%20Excluding%20Smart%20Tech%20ad%20group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700027928120963&PLA=1&tgtid=1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20-%20Link%20Excluding%20Smart%20Tech&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9bS09PiX3QIVRrTtCh33SA-9EAQYASABEgLQLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

UK link but should give an idea.

They use your electrical circuit to carry WiFi. They are pretty good. You put one near the router and one in your room.

For your room you could get an Ethernet adapter (so you can plug in multiple) too.

TP link is the best most known brand.
  • VICTAAAA
    10757 posts Has That Special Something
    @uhMaZiiNq

Do you know your connections’ supposed speed (Mbps, Mb and not MB, there’s a difference)?

Then do a speedtest off a hardline (Ethernet cable) connected directly to the modem to see what speed you’re getting.

If you can’t hardwire you devices and must go with wirelesss then I suggest looking into a mesh system. It’s like an extender as it’ll provide you range but without the redundancies/slow speeds.
  • krakos000
    17447 posts World Class
    Powerline adapter worked wonders for me
  • uhMaZiiNq
    VICTAAAA wrote: »
    @uhMaZiiNq

Do you know your connections’ supposed speed (Mbps, Mb and not MB, there’s a difference)?

Then do a speedtest off a hardline (Ethernet cable) connected directly to the modem to see what speed you’re getting.

If you can’t hardwire you devices and must go with wirelesss then I suggest looking into a mesh system. It’s like an extender as it’ll provide you range but without the redundancies/slow speeds.

Yeah you're talking about a wifi extender right? I was gonna look into one of those as well to go with the new router if I had to but figured would try without it first.

I just went out and bought a nighthawk router and got it all hooked up and the speeds are all over the place but I'm hoping at some point it will settle where it should be.

Problem is Xbox is having its own issues so I can't even do a proper speedtest and it also says I have a double NAT detected I think because the Comcast modem is also for the wifi and cable so it's tricky. I don't know if a double NAT is going to be an issue or not but idk what I can do about that.

I did a speedtest on my phone though and it was always around 10 ping 150 down 40 up so I think everything is working I might just have to wait a day or 2 when Xbox resolves its issues.
  • MisterJV
    10773 posts Has That Special Something
    did you open the ports on the router ?
  • uhMaZiiNq
    MisterJV wrote: »
    did you open the ports on the router ?

I just followed the instructions so maybe not? Idk how to do that
  • MisterJV
    http://192.168.1.1

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/

FYI ... those powerline adapters suck & drop signal easily . Netgear makes decent extenders , I used to have this problem until I said screw it & ran 50 foot CAT5's through the house . I used to have comcast as well.. you need to use the gateway modem to be able to have access to the on demand features . I was tired of paying the rental fees so I got on on ebay for 50 bucks & my speeds got much higher . I am now with Fios for about a year now ... My speeds were much higher & cheaper on Comcast
  • uhMaZiiNq
    http://192.168.1.1

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/

FYI ... those powerline adapters suck & drop signal easily . Netgear makes decent extenders , I used to have this problem until I said screw it & ran 50 foot CAT5's through the house . I used to have comcast as well.. you need to use the gateway modem to be able to have access to the on demand features . I was tired of paying the rental fees so I got on on ebay for 50 bucks & my speeds got much higher . I am now with Fios for about a year now ... My speeds were much higher & cheaper on Comcast

I would love to run a cable through the house but unfortunately it's not an option since I can't drill any holes since it's a rented house. I typically only buy netgear though the router I just bought was the nighthawk 1900. I'll try and figure out that port stuff when I get a chance thanks. I'm awful with this stuff so expecting it to go poorly :lol:
  • MisterJV
    just open the ports if you have NAT issues , https://portforward.com/netgear/d7000-nighthawk-ac1900/

May have to do this on the modem & on the router

• uhMaZiiNq
    edited September 2018
    just open the ports if you have NAT issues , https://portforward.com/netgear/d7000-nighthawk-ac1900/

May have to do this on the modem & on the router

I'll try tomorrow thanks. Hopefully the Xbox issues are resolved so I can actually run the detailed network statistics

Also for some reason now the Xbox won't show me the up/down still but it says I have a 72% wireless strength which is weird. When I first Hooked it up it said 100%. My NAT says open now though and I didn't open ports yet I'm lost
  • uhMaZiiNq
    Ok so my wireless strength still says 72% on this bugged speedtest but my NAT still says open now and I started downloading a game just to see what it would say and it's been jumping all over the place but I have seen it go as high as 149 mb/s which is a good sign
  • krakos000
    17447 posts World Class
    @yerwaltz and I use the powerline adapter and have no problems
  • ManTrain
    2989 posts National Call-Up
    If you’re downloading on Xbox change your DNS settings
  • VICTAAAA
    10757 posts Has That Special Something
    uhMaZiiNq wrote: »
    VICTAAAA wrote: »
    @uhMaZiiNq

Yeah you're talking about a wifi extender right? I was gonna look into one of those as well to go with the new router if I had to but figured would try without it first.

I just went out and bought a nighthawk router and got it all hooked up and the speeds are all over the place but I'm hoping at some point it will settle where it should be.

Problem is Xbox is having its own issues so I can't even do a proper speedtest and it also says I have a double NAT detected I think because the Comcast modem is also for the wifi and cable so it's tricky. I don't know if a double NAT is going to be an issue or not but idk what I can do about that.

I did a speedtest on my phone though and it was always around 10 ping 150 down 40 up so I think everything is working I might just have to wait a day or 2 when Xbox resolves its issues.

I believe the new mesh systems are extenders but without the immense slow down of traditional extenders.

Do you have a laptop to hook up to the modem? Forget the router for text, ethernet from modem straight into computer and see what you’re pulling. It’s important to figure exactly which point in your connection is the limiting factor, it’ll save you from messing with other settings until you absolutely have to.

I would like one of the nighthawk modem/router combos, it’s one of the few that supports my internet speed; I’m expecting to preform well.
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    krakos000 wrote: »
    @yerwaltz and I use the powerline adapter and have no problems

Courtesy of @carswell
  • uhMaZiiNq wrote: »
    coatsy wrote: »
    Ethernet plugs.

Can you link me? Have no idea what that is lol I would just run a long Ethernet cable through the house but then I wouldn't be able to close my door

My set up sounds similar to yours. I tried powerline adapters/wifi extenders and nothing worked/improved my connection. So ive recently bought myself a long ethernet and plug it in that way. Whilst not ideal its the only way i can sort my connection. The gf isnt so keen to have a wired running through our landing etc, but i only hardwire when playing fifa