The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Can someone explain to me why work rates are an issue?

Tornado31619
20199 posts Club Captain
I see everywhere that H/H and M/M are undesirable. I suppose I can get why H/H is a problem, especially if you lack stamina, but why is M/M a problem? Because you aren’t putting in enough effort? Never really understood why people fussed over work rates, I just buy whoever I need to.

Comments

• Ballist1x
    2948 posts National Call-Up
    I see everywhere that H/H and M/M are undesirable. I suppose I can get why H/H is a problem, especially if you lack stamina, but why is M/M a problem? Because you aren’t putting in enough effort? Never really understood why people fussed over work rates, I just buy whoever I need to.

M/m.is decent for some positions one a CDM.

But for a striker h/m or h/l is preferable so he makes runs forward and moves in the box into open space.
  • Diggy
    14173 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 2018
    Hmm this is my opinion

M/M is fine for CB & full backs undesirable all others

H/H is great for full backs wide CMs yet undesirable for all others

I can use m/m stikers but only in 2 man partnership & could never use a H/H striker
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    14275 posts World Class
    I don't have an issue with H/H tbh, some of my fave players have been that this year, M/M I've found can be a bit frustrating, especially if it's someone playing at CAM/ST. It's like they refuse to move up the field unless they have higher attacking positioning
  • WarrenBarton
    9877 posts League Winner
    I don’t like h/l strikers as much as others as I like to play 1-2’s and trigger runs myself. I also enjoy dribbling in and out of tight spaces and move the ball around the opposition’s box.

I like H/m strikers but my favourite forwards this year have been prime R9 and toty Messi who are both M/M
  • I don’t like h/l strikers as much as others as I like to play 1-2’s and trigger runs myself. I also enjoy dribbling in and out of tight spaces and move the ball around the opposition’s box.

I like H/m strikers but my favourite forwards this year have been prime R9 and toty Messi who are both M/M

I personally agree, I think m/m for a striker is ideal balance
  • The Humanoid Typhoon
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    I have no problem with Ronaldo or Messi who are M/M, best strikers on the game. I do have issues with H/H strikers though, I feel like they can sometimes disappear from the game.
  • smcali23
    1229 posts Professional
    edited August 2018
    Isn't fof son h/h? If so, not an issue.
  • Markman007
    3273 posts National Call-Up

It really depends on the position. H/H is great for a box to box CM like Nainggolan for example, but you probably don't want a striker with high defensive as he'll wear himself out trying to win the ball back and might not always be upfront when you need him.

M/M is also fine for CMs or CAMs without a lot of defensive duties. I like my defensive players like CBs, CDMs, fullbacks to have high defensive, and strikers and wingers to have high attacking.
  • pudgyfudgy
    6134 posts Big Money Move
    It's up to everyone's personal preference to determine what's desirable or undesirable, but work rates do matter. Despite the dictionary definition of "work rate", it's not really about how much effort they put in, but about where the AI lets them roam when you're not controlling them. A high attacking work rate in a CB doesn't mean that he likes to attack. It just means that he tends to roam slightly further forward than a usual CB.

I'm sure you can notice that CBs like David Luiz and Sergio Ramos like to come out and win the ball, rather than stay in line and wait for the opponents to come at them, right? Or how CR7 hardly ever comes short to get the ball unless you manually get him to, but someone like Firmino does it way more often.
  • letsfifa10
    1452 posts Play-Off Hero
    my midfield is the combination of H/H, M/H, H/M
  • Boommaametw3
    2507 posts Fans' Favourite

You only control two players maximum at once. Work rate decides everything. Some people have Alaba,Boateng,Azplicueta,Walker,Bakayoko and complain about their defenders not staying back when none of them have H defending.

H/H fullbacks
    M/H or L/H for CB and CDM
    One H/M cm and one H/H cm
    Cam and striker H/M but H/L preferable