OT: Coffee before a match

Carswell
8165 posts League Winner
Heard mixed reviews on drinking a cuppa before a match. Wondering what people’s experiences are? If so, how long before the match starts did you consume the caffeine?

Comments

• Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move
    45m before kickoff, done it a few times and felt no noticeable difference. Just have a banana with a scoop of peanut butter an hour before and you’ll be buzzing with all that ENERGY
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    45m before kickoff, done it a few times and felt no noticeable difference. Just have a banana with a scoop of peanut butter an hour before and you’ll be buzzing with all that ENERGY

ACTIVE
  • Antparry92
    17514 posts World Class
    edited August 2018
    I religiously drink a can of monster before the game, just before warming up usually. Started off as a habit of rushing to matches occasionally and needing to grab food and a drink and I just always do it now
    Post edited by Antparry92 on
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    Makes me shake
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    I religiously drink a can of monster before the game, just before warming up usually. Started off as a habit of rushing to matches occasionally and needing to grab door and a drink and I just always do it now

Didn’t know Jamie Vardy was on here.
  • coatsy
    It’s not a match if you don’t have an orange at 1/2 time.
  • Antparry92
    17514 posts World Class
    coatsy wrote: »
    I religiously drink a can of monster before the game, just before warming up usually. Started off as a habit of rushing to matches occasionally and needing to grab door and a drink and I just always do it now

Didn’t know Jamie Vardy was on here.

Quicker than him mert :joy:

I bagged tonight so it worked haha
  • Choepiechakie
    31396 posts National Team Captain
    I religiously drink a can of monster before the game, just before warming up usually. Started off as a habit of rushing to matches occasionally and needing to grab food and a drink and I just always do it now

Always make me **** like a maniac. :D
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move

Man knows :lol: :lol:
    I remember as a kid playing house league "who brought the oranges??"
  • Campino
    26853 posts Player of the Year
    I always used to drink a bottle of water and a bottle of some blue isotonic drink thing that I can’t remember the name of

Also a banana on the drive to the game
  • Blarix
    20809 posts Club Captain
    Tea
  • WFCBagnall
    69449 posts Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Atleast 6 pints of beer.

Oh wait, wrong sort of match >:)
  • coatsy
    Campino wrote: »
    I always used to drink a bottle of water and a bottle of some blue isotonic drink thing that I can’t remember the name of

Powerade?
  • coatsy
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Atleast 6 pints of beer.

Oh wait, wrong sort of match >:)

Tinder match?
  • Campino
    26853 posts Player of the Year
    Campino wrote: »

Powerade?

Not sure mate not been able to play now for four years
  • JohnDoe
    11250 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 2018
    Delayed release caff pills>>>>>
  • mypetfrog
    494 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Caffeine blood levels peak 20-45mins after consumption.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year

Then someone always splashed out on Jaffa Cakes for cup finals
  • Arron xox
    2919 posts National Call-Up
    I always have a coffee while at a football match it helps if it's cold outside
  • WarrenBarton
    7216 posts Big Money Move
    Coke does the trick, just ask this guy ;)

62_A3_D1_FE-_B49_E-4_B4_B-9662-6_A7_FA34_D5_C8_A.jpggif hosting
  • Hippyboy6
    16863 posts World Class
    Haven't played competitively for nearly 10 years due to injury, there wasn't the range of energy drinks, bars & stuff that's available today. It used to be 2 coffees 30mins before kick off & a cigarette at half time..... Oh how times have changed :joy:
  • Addicksfan
    3242 posts National Call-Up
    Caffeine needs to be taken in a highly concentrated dose to have any visible effects on performance.

You'd probably need a few cups of coffee to get any kind of performance related boost.

Caffeine pills and energy gels (high sugar boost, you see pro cyclists using them in the final 25KM of a race) are readily available.

Just ensure you eat a high carb dinner the night before and avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water.
    On the morning of the game, Muesli or cereal followed by fruit (banana) and yoghurt with juice, coffee and water
  • Davola77
    386 posts Sunday League Hero
    No-Xplode with a scoop of creatine just before starting the warm up. At my age I need all the help I can get
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3304 posts National Call-Up
    For some reason I thought you meant a match on FIFA :joy:
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year

Makes more sens tbh, a cup of coffee does more for your alertness than your energy levels.
  • WFCBagnall
    69449 posts Moderator
    Peter wrote: »

Makes more sens tbh, a cup of coffee does more for your alertness than your energy levels.

@Carswell has been drinking a few elite bottles. That's why he's thinking about trying out coffee.
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3304 posts National Call-Up

But then 5 games in you're dozing off if you don't have another cup...
  • Knowlesdinho
    10072 posts Has That Special Something

You back bro!
  • RebelRob
    4993 posts Big Money Move
    Only played really as a kid, so didn’t have anything apart from breakfast!

We used to also play during the summer in the park with loads of us, usually from about 10am til 5-6 pm pretty much non stop apart from a lunch break which generally involved a quick sandwich and a few beers during the afternoon!
  • Antparry92
    17514 posts World Class
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    It used to be 2 coffees 30mins before kick off & a cigarette at half time..... Oh how times have changed :joy:

My lot still do. I’ll have a puff on my vape usually (cause I’m healthy haha) and it’s funny cause we’ve been promoted to a league where everything is a bit more serious and teams just look at us funny :joy: