How do you rate FIFA 18? Good enough to buy 19? Not bad enough to quit for good?

Absting159
6657 posts Moderator
edited August 2018
I’m making this as straightforward as possible.

We all complain and have gripes but it really comes down to this. With how much we saw threads complaining and threatening to not buy it next year...based on your experience in FIFA 18...be honest, are you?

Post edited by Absting159 on

How do you rate FIFA 18? Good enough to buy 19? Not bad enough to quit for good? 63 votes

I’m buying FIFA 19
71%
CampinoRealMDan is Clutcho0OainavO0oRynoShaanxzAnDrEwThEdOnPugzillaSercsDannyMr. SoperSilky_SewardUpstartCaesarJohnDoeBrentfordFCRandomLhama83Sean2OnAbsting159DavistoKeano 45 votes
It was so bad I’m not buying FIFA 19.
28%
Mike_PickfordLegeggBlarixHodgyJoresOkore5Ibte10Argie8'96dc2FootyFootyFootballCarlos181Trobos_LocosRuttahrv97Summer69Dragond81caediteFUTRocky77TheRealHarrison 18 votes

Comments

• Shaanxz
    20287 posts Club Captain
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Will buy it since I like football, but won’t play as much with Spider-Man rdr2 and tlou 2 coming out
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2018
    Can't even vote because neither option applies!
    I'm not getting FIFA 19, but that has nothing to do with FIFA 18.

I feel like this is the discussion you're looking for

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/402357/will-you-be-getting-fifa-19#latest
  • dopetothemax
    2015 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    This doesn’t actually let you rate 18 does it? 18 has a lot of issues but on the whole, I enjoyed myself. I’m looking forward to the changes in 19.
  • SebCFC123
    7342 posts Big Money Move
    Absting159 wrote: »
    SebCFC123 wrote: »
    Worst poll eu

Derailing, baiting, just being a troll. Take your pick.

Saying the truth? Tick
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Yeah … as much as I thought '18 would be the last, I'll end up buying it. Probably on PS though.

Won't be spending as much on FP though - EA Access :lol:
  • Absting159
    6657 posts Moderator
    edited August 2018
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    The point wasnt a thorough rating...it is did you dislike the game so much you aren’t buying 19?

The forum is filled with people saying they won’t give EA any more money but it’s not bad enough to make them quit. I’m one of them that complains quite a bit from frustrations but will inevitably get 19.
    Post edited by Absting159 on
  • Carlos181
    3783 posts National Call-Up
    Thought it was poor, but not completely bad. Too many good games coming out to even glance at fifa19
  • Ulook92
    12459 posts Has That Special Something
    Im happy enough with the FIFA 18 gameplay. Yes its not as good as say FIFA 12. Yes it has its problems and exploits like any other version, but its enjoyable majority of the time(excluding the toxic community and EAs content incompetencies)

The reason why i wont be buying FIFA 19 atm is the apparent lack of changes to CM and Pro Clubs. Its not just about UT for me. When the game first comea out i like to focus on CM as thats what appeals the most to me. UT wasnt out back in the day and EA seem to forget that people want to play it.

So if they have indeed done nothing at all to CM, i wont be rushing to buy it like i have for the past 16 years. I will be buying RDR2 and might get FIFA aroumd Xmas.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10082 posts Has That Special Something
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    It’s the main game I play so I’ll buy it.

What I think they should start doing, is move to a biennial release of a new game, with an annual update in-between.

That way they could spend more time developing a better product, instead of rushing to release essentially the same product with a few tweaks every year.
  • Ulook92

What I think they should start doing, is move to a biennial release of a new game, with an annual update in-between.

That way they could spend more time developing a better product, instead of rushing to release essentially the same product with a few tweaks every year.

Career Mode hast changed for like 10 years :tired_face: Pro clubs had a face lift last year but in essense hasnt changed since it came out.

I get its harder to change Pro clubs but its not impossible. Sad truth is, it doesnt make them any money, so theyre not interested.
  • Knowlesdinho
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Ulook92 wrote: »

Career Mode hast changed for like 10 years :tired_face: Pro clubs had a face lift last year but in essense hasnt changed since it came out.

I get its harder to change Pro clubs but its not impossible. Sad truth is, it doesnt make them any money, so theyre not interested.

That’s part of the problem. They are so desperate to release it annually, that barely anything changes with the gameplay.

It’s the same with my other love, Football Manager. They should abandon the annual release, and go biennial.

Both games could still make money by charging for an updated database, with revised player stats, and updated leagues. With Fut, all they would need to do is a new season reset (with the option of playing on with your old fut if you wish). Then they could work on actual innovation for the main release.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    ▪️Somewhere in between
  • VanBasten12
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Agree with you @Knowlesdinho (like so many other times :smiley: ), on getting away from a yearly release.

With FUT moving to a subscription model I don't see any issue with that, especially if you only buy FIFA once every 2nd year.

Unfortunately I think that the execs at EA would never make such a drastic change to their primary cash cow. Too much risk in people not picking it up again.
  • SergiuLive
    3170 posts National Call-Up
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    I'll buy it, but will not play ultimate team.
  • Knowlesdinho
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Agree with you @Knowlesdinho (like so many other times :smiley: ), on getting away from a yearly release.

With FUT moving to a subscription model I don't see any issue with that, especially if you only buy FIFA once every 2nd year.

Unfortunately I think that the execs at EA would never make such a drastic change to their primary cash cow. Too much risk in people not picking it up again.

I think if they took the punt, they might be surprised. Of course, we know that they won’t! :joy:
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17211 posts World Class
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    7.5 out of 10
  • VanBasten12
    I’m buying FIFA 19

I think if they took the punt, they might be surprised. Of course, we know that they won’t! :joy:

Yes, agreed.

I remember many years ago was working for an auditing firm (the 'biggest' name), I was a manager within the financial system consulting team, and we wanted to approach the audit clients with the prospect of developing a new module.

I was pretty firmly told off that it'll never happen as there's risk associated, which I laughed at. No, even if it's 0.01%, the audit partners would simply not agree.

Old man making money, want to make even more money with zero impact on their current earnings.

Sad.
  • Knowlesdinho
    I’m buying FIFA 19

Yes, agreed.

I remember many years ago was working for an auditing firm (the 'biggest' name), I was a manager within the financial system consulting team, and we wanted to approach the audit clients with the prospect of developing a new module.

I was pretty firmly told off that it'll never happen as there's risk associated, which I laughed at. No, even if it's 0.01%, the audit partners would simply not agree.

Old man making money, want to make even more money with zero impact on their current earnings.

Sad.

Preaching to the choir mate! I work for a big company. It’s like I’ve sold my soul :joy:
  • VanBasten12
    I’m buying FIFA 19

Yes, agreed.

Sad.

Preaching to the choir mate! I work for a big company. It’s like I’ve sold my soul :joy:

:lol: … awesome we have this job security, but corporate BS just sucks.

Anyway - biennial release + FUT subscription FTW!
  • Mr. Soper
    2553 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    buying, but from the beta, Im not buying the Ultimate Edition like I do every year. Very worried.
  • Legegg
    1010 posts Professional
    Without sounding too melodramatic, I'm done with FIFA. After buying it since 95 I'm finally done. The inconsistency combined with the increasingly toxic playerbase, it's no longer worth my time. I'm gutted. I love football and this is a death for me. The beta has only cemented my opinion. It's appalling and the people playing it are even worse than all the other beta's of FIFA I've played. Which is all of them for the past few years, and does not bode well for the finished game. The beauty of football is dead and the creativity has gone. Every match is the same and everyone is out to antagonize rather than enjoy a game.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    Mr. Soper wrote: »
    buying, but from the beta, Im not buying the Ultimate Edition like I do every year. Very worried.

After thinking about it, I think I will just go for the standard edition his year, don’t believe the extras are worth the extra £40.
  • Absting159
    6657 posts Moderator
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    I concede haha. Bad poll. But the conversation was exactly what I hoped to see.
  • Currieman
    4918 posts National Call-Up
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    I am gonna buy it but I am not gonna dedicate as much time to it as I did with 18. It's just not worth it.

If they actually rewarded people for dedicating time to this game then it would be different but right now a player who only plays 1 game a week can get better rewards than someone who plays 40 WL games per week so it just doesn't feel worth it. Plus it is such a grind, especially WL.

RDR2 is gonna be the one for me I think.
  • Diggy
    13615 posts Has That Special Something
    I’m not playing FUT but your pole does not have enough options
  • Absting159
    6657 posts Moderator
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    Diggy wrote: »

Yeah I know but too late now. I was just curious how many people who swore they weren’t getting it because 18 was soooo bad...actually are. Kinda of get the sense most are returning.

I’m very optimistic for how they integrated the squad battles concept into the weekly online play. Divisions looks awesome and is what I’m excited for. I like the idea of playing to earn weekend league and some rewards over time.
  • Ulook92
    Legegg wrote: »
    Without sounding too melodramatic, I'm done with FIFA. After buying it since 95 I'm finally done. The inconsistency combined with the increasingly toxic playerbase, it's no longer worth my time. I'm gutted. I love football and this is a death for me. The beta has only cemented my opinion. It's appalling and the people playing it are even worse than all the other beta's of FIFA I've played. Which is all of them for the past few years, and does not bode well for the finished game. The beauty of football is dead and the creativity has gone. Every match is the same and everyone is out to antagonize rather than enjoy a game.

Couldnt agree more. Iv began to feel like this for a couple of years now. But its a love and what other choice do we have? PES isnt a choice for me and im sure many feel the same.

This is probably the 3rd year iv said i wont get the game but rather than it just being empty threats like most people, im actually serious. Its seriously not worth putting the money into when i already have 18 with a good UT and the same CM/Pro Clubs.

I will use the companion app/web app to do some trading and team building for as long as i can as thats what i do still enjoy but i wont be buying the unless i see actual changes to the released game.

It really is a sad state of affairs if im honest. Feels like the end of an Era. EA should release a card for that but theyre to busy dropping the ball as always. :tired_face:
  • Absting159
    6657 posts Moderator
    I’m buying FIFA 19
    @Ulook92 @Legegg

It is a shame and I agree with what you guys said. It does suck that all games feel so similar and that opponents antagonize rather than just win based on skill. The rage component is real and it’s why I struggle at WL.

That being said, the fact that Divisions looks to have the better servers and provide the competitive aspect, that’s my draw. With gaming, once you add rewards to online play, there isn’t a game where the community gravitates to the meta to win.

For fun, we will only ever have Forum set up tourneys. Friendlies with forumers and friends. That’s what gaming is now. Online play is about winning at all costs and it’s gaming in general nowadays.
  • Trobos_Locos
    1295 posts Professional
    edited August 2018
    I don't want to buy it since sometimes it was an awful experience but I know I will end up buying it from day one.

Since I play most of the times in weekends I play WL and FIFA 18 with no WL will be boring with Seasons as the only options.

Not happy 100% with the game but happy at the end with the good pack weight and the chance they gave us to end up with dream teams.

(I don't even know why I selected "No" :disappointed: )

Ohhhhh and besides that, I got permanently banned to trade in the Web App due to a captcha error and no one from customer support was willing to help. Actually some were really rude when honestly I did nothing to get banned but using the horrible captcha.
  • Orison
    47576 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Absting159 wrote: »
    Diggy wrote: »

Yeah I know but too late now. I was just curious how many people who swore they weren’t getting it because 18 was soooo bad...actually are. Kinda of get the sense most are returning.

I’m very optimistic for how they integrated the squad battles concept into the weekly online play. Divisions looks awesome and is what I’m excited for. I like the idea of playing to earn weekend league and some rewards over time.

And I like the idea of getting rewarded twice for playing WL.

Since WL games count for division rivals as well you can max out rivals and finish high in WL. Not playing during the week, but still getting rewards for it, great :trollface: