Anyone Play Bass Guitar?

GoalGiant
1703 posts Play-Off Hero
Been playing a month or so, only solo. I’m getting the hang of it and can start to play some more complex songs, but keen to learn about other peoples bass journeys?

Comments

• Xx_iou_cheesecake_xX
    2678 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm interested in learning the bass as well. How was the difficulty curve for the first few months? Also what songs are you wanting to learn. Sorry that I'm not a bass player :/ If you need to know anything about drums I can help out though.
  • GoalGiant
    1703 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm interested in learning the bass as well. How was the difficulty curve for the first few months? Also what songs are you wanting to learn. Sorry that I'm not a bass player :/ If you need to know anything about drums I can help out though.

Hi mate, I had no real musical experience before I brought a bass, and wasn’t prepared for music lessons so I promised to self teach myself. If you can dedicate 30 mins minimum a day to start with, it’s quite easy. And once you learn your first riff, it gets mor enjoyable so you play longer and learn more riffs.

If you do get a bass, start on YouTube just learning about technique for a few hours, and then begin basic riffs (not full songs). Within about a week I could play basic riffs like ‘Money’ by pink floyd, ‘stand by me’ and ‘feel Good Inc’ to name a few. I think the bass is a great instrument, and compared to other instruments it’s not too difficult to pick up as a beginner.

I am looking to become more musically diverse, I’ve only ever mucked around on a drum kit, as it looked crazy hard to play, how could a newbie get on?
  • Xx_iou_cheesecake_xX
    2678 posts Fans' Favourite
    GoalGiant wrote: »

Hi mate, I had no real musical experience before I brought a bass, and wasn’t prepared for music lessons so I promised to self teach myself. If you can dedicate 30 mins minimum a day to start with, it’s quite easy. And once you learn your first riff, it gets mor enjoyable so you play longer and learn more riffs.

If you do get a bass, start on YouTube just learning about technique for a few hours, and then begin basic riffs (not full songs). Within about a week I could play basic riffs like ‘Money’ by pink floyd, ‘stand by me’ and ‘feel Good Inc’ to name a few. I think the bass is a great instrument, and compared to other instruments it’s not too difficult to pick up as a beginner.

I am looking to become more musically diverse, I’ve only ever mucked around on a drum kit, as it looked crazy hard to play, how could a newbie get on?

With the drums from my experience (5/6 years with lessons) I think the difficulty curve is steeper than bass at the start (presumably) and the songs/beats you'll play would be quite basic at first. After a year it gets easy and you'll grow at a much quicker rate if you regularly play. As you start to get in to the more technical stuff the curve gets steeper again but it's much less frustrating/boring I guess. Playing by ear is easy though. I could suggest a few beginner songs if you like, I just used the song books at first which were grade pieces, I only really started learning "proper songs" 2.5 years ago. Don't know why? :lol:
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you need good videos I know drumeo have a good few although they're more intermediate-experienced in terms of their free content.
    Also, Matt Helders was only playing the drums for a relatively short amount of time before Arctic Monkeys' first release, he actually learned just for the band. So if you're dedicated and have a bit of talent you can sound great. Good luck.