Be honest, how many icons have you never head of.

Drizzt
453 posts Sunday League Hero
Hi gang, i was showing my son the leaked unconfirmed list of 60+ icons and I was impressed that he knew them all. He was talking to his friends on chat and most of them had never heard of Cruyff or Seddorf and they're only interested in the new Gerrard and Lampard icons.

As a dad, as soon as my son opened his eyes, he was subjected to football, football and more football (and Star Wars *cough) ;) and he's had a great education in football players from Bobby Charlton, to Gazza to Voller.

I find it a bit sad that a lot of kids/ young adults think football started when Messi and Ronaldo started playing and not knowing Rivaldo or Best surly means they're missing out on watching some great players.

Maybe I'm an old fool and think everyone who loves football should know about the oldies, but my son thinks I'm being unfair as not knowing about these players doesn't hurt anyone. True I suppose.

At least we watch Escape to Victory twice a year as every football fan should :)

So do you know or heard about every icon?

Comments

• Satch85
    1049 posts Professional
    Yeah I do, but then I’m probably one of the older ones in here at 33
  • Mmandras
    1719 posts Play-Off Hero
    Of course, I'm an old guy.

FIFA is atually decent education tool with Icons! They are so dominant ingame kids will learn about them, love and respect them.
  • Seanregal
    490 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I must admit i knew very little about Yashin before fifa 18. His story is quite incredible and i feel like i learnt something new in this installment. Maybe that will work for your kids friends too.
  • Drizzt
    Mmandras wrote: »
    Of course, I'm an old guy.

FIFA is atually decent education tool with Icons! They are so dominant ingame kids will learn about them, love and respect them.

Great point mate. Never thought of that.
  • Alex_cr
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    Seanregal wrote: »
    I must admit i knew very little about Yashin before fifa 18. His story is quite incredible and i feel like i learnt something new in this installment. Maybe that will work for your kids friends too.

Yeah I knew very little also. Him being in the game made me look into him and what a story.
  • Drizzt
    Seanregal wrote: »

Yea bud, I've not thought about the stories and how people might even look up more footage of these players. Making me smile TBH in thinking kids might be goinging onto YouTube and looking up old matches.
  • HelloDearie
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    29, but was brought up on football by me grandad, who wanted me to watch older players. He had highlight videos of World Cups from 78, 82, 86, 90, so I am aware of most if not all Icons.

It doesn’t matter what generation you are, great players are to be appreciated. Football’s Greatest is well worth a watch on Sky Sports. So many classic players on there, and really is great to watch some old clips of top top players.
  • NornIron
    11070 posts Has That Special Something
    Heard of them all apart from Lalas. Maybe that Mexican too probably seen him play but didnt take notice.
  • Benja190782
    1148 posts Professional
    I know every ICON but I’m 36 and should know every ICON as a true football fan.

Actually I think there is a lot of “old” people playing FIFA as it’s been something we’ve done since we were young.

The sad thing is - there is no place in-game we can go to play some good football in FIFA.

It’s all fancy dragbacks and stuff you rarely see in real life football.

I mean a match in online Seasons between Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday is much more fun than the Manchester Derby. And that says a lot about FIFA really.
  • Riggs006
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2018
    Heard of/knew all of the legends/icons since they first got introduced, only ones I hadn't were Paulo Futre, Hernandez and Butragueno not too bad considering I'm 24 but have always liked to brush up on knowledge of old players. I'm made up that Eusebio has been introduced and will do my best to save up the coins to get him, the guy was a beast!
  • HelloDearie
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    I know every ICON but I’m 36 and should know every ICON as a true football fan.

Actually I think there is a lot of “old” people playing FIFA as it’s been something we’ve done since we were young.

The sad thing is - there is no place in-game we can go to play some good football in FIFA.

It’s all fancy dragbacks and stuff you rarely see in real life football.

I mean a match in online Seasons between Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday is much more fun than the Manchester Derby. And that says a lot about FIFA really.

Well said sir.
  • rnmays1
    802 posts Semi-Pro
    I'd never heard of gullit until i started playing fifa
  • They Caged Non
    4328 posts National Call-Up
    I’m 37 and heard of/seen most of them play on TV but there are a couple I had to look up, Futre for example.

I’m even old enough to have seen Hagi live at Elland Road in 96 :D
  • They Caged Non
    rnmays1 wrote: »

Really?

• Claret_n_blue_blood
    13967 posts Has That Special Something

Really?

must be trolling surely
  • They Caged Non

Really?

must be trolling surely

Worked on Sky and ITV and managed Football teams in the Prem, gotta be

• Claret_n_blue_blood
    13967 posts Has That Special Something

Really?

must be trolling surely

Worked on Sky and ITV and managed Football teams in the Prem, gotta be

as well as being one of the biggest names in football
  • Tornado31619
    15750 posts World Class
    16 here. From this:
    fifa-19-new-fut-icons-leak.jpg

9, 12, 16, 19, 21 and 31-34 are the ones I hadn’t heard of.
  • rnmays1
    802 posts Semi-Pro

Really?

Yeah. He'd stopped playing before I became interested in football and yeah he's been a pundit in more recent years so I know who he is but only from playing fifa
  • Riggs006
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2018
    16 here. From this:

Completely understandable at 16 you haven't heard of the likes of Stoitchkov and Butragueno. Not having a go or anything but it's mad that some of the Serie A legends like Nedved, Inzaghi you know but you've never heard of Trezeguet who played with Nedved for years at Juve, never heard of Shevchenko, Seedorf or Gattuso when they played with Inzaghi at Milan for years. How is that you've heard of some but not others? Genuine question just interested is all :)
  • Seanregal
    490 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I also think we forget the
    16 here. From this:

Suddenly i feel very old.
  • JohnDoe
    11192 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 2018
    I’ve heard of all of them, but I never watched many of them play.
  • Tornado31619
    15750 posts World Class
    Riggs006 wrote: »
    16 here. From this:

Completely understandable at 16 you haven't heard of the likes of Stoitchkov and Butragueno. Not having a go or anything but it's mad that some of the Serie A legends like Nedved, Inzaghi you know but you've never heard of Trezeguet who played with Nedved for years at Juve, never heard of Shevchenko, Seedorf or Gattuso when they played with Inzaghi at Milan for years. How is that you've heard of some but not others? Genuine question just interested is all :)

Forgot about Shevchenko, lol. But he and the likes of Nedved and Inzaghi I only heard of through FIFA.
  • The Humanoid Typhoon
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2018
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    I’ve heard of most of them, but I never watched many of them play.

• Riggs006
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    Riggs006 wrote: »
    16 here. From this:

Forgot about Shevchenko, lol. But he and the likes of Nedved and Inzaghi I only heard of through FIFA.

Ahh okay, makes sense!
  • Drizzt
    Really interesting to read this and as some say it's fascinating the icons you think everyone knows and infact people don't.

I was lucky and old enough to see a lot of these players live from Maradonna onwards. Gotta say you appreciate them more when you've seen em.

Took my son to see Messi 2 years ago and CR7 we saw live when he played for scu err united. Both will go down in my book as up there with Pele, Mara and Cruyff.

Zidane was poetry live.

The only icon on this list that I've never rated and always was shocked how top clubs loved him was Seddorf. His record speaks for itself, but he was meh to me.

Before Socrates died, he came to Yorkshire to a little town called Garforth near Leeds to play for Garforth town. Total publicity stunt but I got to say hello. The man could still play but boy did he like his ciggies...
  • The Humanoid Typhoon
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    16 here. From this:

Are these the official stats of the new icons?
  • pudgyfudgy
    5368 posts Big Money Move
    FIFA is atually decent education tool with Icons!

Not just icons but players from all the leagues that I don't usually watch. During the World Cup when I was watching matches with my friends I'd recognise all the players and be able to say which club they're from and their best qualities and my friends were like... since when did you watch the Dutch league or Portuguese league :D

Most of them didn't even know Lozano existed until he scored against Germany!
  • JohnDoe
    11192 posts Has That Special Something
    pudgyfudgy wrote: »

Not just icons but players from all the leagues that I don't usually watch. During the World Cup when I was watching matches with my friends I'd recognise all the players and be able to say which club they're from and their best qualities and my friends were like... since when did you watch the Dutch league or Portuguese league :D

Most of them didn't even know Lozano existed until he scored against Germany!

“my guys, this Lozano dude is deadly on the counter, he’s rekt me many a time on FIFA, Germany will get a taste of the pace sauce, just you wait”
  • Tornado31619
    15750 posts World Class
    16 here. From this:

Are these the official stats of the new icons?

Think I found it on Reddit or somewhere. IDK.
    pudgyfudgy wrote: »

Not just icons but players from all the leagues that I don't usually watch. During the World Cup when I was watching matches with my friends I'd recognise all the players and be able to say which club they're from and their best qualities

Yep, same lol.