Travelling with online solo group. Any advice?

Shane
23793 posts Club Captain
edited August 2018
Anyone tried it? Heard of a website called contiki that assembles a group of 18-35 years old and gives a guided tour.

Kind of nervous but I really want to travel and most of my friends are busy.

Anyone travelled alone or with a similar group? Any tips for an inexperienced traveller?

Comments

• RadioShaq
    14429 posts Moderator
    If you are worried I would look into a local travel agency. We have places that you can take a tour bus about an hour or two to baseball football basketball and other events. Find a place that has been there 20 or 30 years.
  • Choepiechakie
    29098 posts Player of the Year
    Avoid alleys
  • Davey Sprockett
    4338 posts National Call-Up
    Never considered travelling alone, sounds like it could be surprisingly great, or an utter nightmare, depending on who you get in your group.

My advice, look up the characteristics of narcissistic personality disorder, and steer clear of anyone that appears to have those traits, befriend anyone that appears normal, don't get into trouble, and don't do anything that'll stay with you for the rest of the trip :D
  • MonkeyFutty
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    Have a look at the “Overland” tours
  • FrankFrank
    1047 posts Professional
    Shane wrote: »
    Anyone tried it? Heard of a website called contiki that assembles a group of 18-35 years old and gives a guided tour.

Anyone travelled alone or with a similar group? Any tips for an inexperienced traveller?

Where do you consider going?

Haven't tried group travelling but I've 'backpacked' quite a lot alone which is a great experience. You'll learn a lot about yourself. Also you'll meet other travellers looking for company anyway.
  • Azof
    14524 posts Has That Special Something
    Just dont get murdered and you are good
  • o0OainavO0o
    1764 posts Play-Off Hero
    Travel alone often, blend in, I prefer to go all out solo, do what you want when you want, I tend to live off the unbeaten path and have enjoyed many adventures. Solo with a group could be cool but then I’d be more concerned with the group, who they are and then having to worry about offending them or getting involved in the personal circle issues. I’d say just go alone.
  • YOLOT0URE
    6447 posts Big Money Move
    Sounds to me like you’d turn up in a suitcase somewhere tbh
  • Currieman
    4681 posts National Call-Up
    I've never done it myself but a lot of my friends have gone travelling alone and would highly recommend it.

You will always meet other people travelling solo and make friends. Unless you are the weird loner type.
  • Knowlesdinho
    9160 posts League Winner
    There’s a good documentary that you could watch called Hostel, it should ease your mind.
  • Knowlesdinho
    9160 posts League Winner
    Also before you go, find out if you are in some way related to Liam Neeson. If you are, and anything goes wrong, he will find you.
  • Hodor
    1392 posts Play-Off Hero
    Shane wrote: »

my girlfriend went with them, she seemed to enjoy it. Everyone else will more or less be in the same position so it's sound
  • Currieman
    4681 posts National Call-Up
    There’s a good documentary that you could watch called Hostel, it should ease your mind.

:joy:
  • Richie
    2544 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've heard good things about Contiki.
    Where do you plan on going?