#ExplainFIFA - the lack of Documentation

bberger
4611 posts National Call-Up
edited August 2018
This is a post directly addressed to our beloved community managers like @EA_Andy or @EA_DarDar and company in the very slim hopes that they actually pass this on and maybe, just maybe we get some informations about the basic mechanics of this game..

FIFA lacks the very essence of any good product: Documentation. Especially in the regards to the following things:

Chemistry Calculation:
If it weren't for a semi-official post from @ChuBoi back in the old forums people still would not know how chemistry is calculated for the starting 11 and subs. This leads to people making 1st minute subs for players to get 6 chem instead of 7 or 8 if the would just have started them. This is annoying and could easily be avoided by providing some official documentation to this game.

//Edit: EA solved this one:
https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/tips-and-tricks/how-chemistry-works-in-fut-17

Chem Styles on GK:
While EA managed to put out information about Chemistry Styles the year after the #chemgate scandal surfaced, they still didn't provide any information at all on how chemistry styles affect GKs. We can only assume 1 chevron = +5, 2 chevrons=+10. But nowhere did they make an official statement about how they actually work.

Traits:
Absolutely noone knows how traits affect players. There are a lot of good theories on a few traits. While some of them are obvious (like the power FK trait) the majority of them is not. I even go as far as to say that a LOT of them don't even effect humanly controlled players like the Long Shot Taker Trait, Early Crosser, Finesse Shot, Speed dribbler etc. and only effect how they behave while controlled by the A.I. However - I could be completely off and the actually do something more or else.. Traits need to be explained!

Attributes:
In my opinion every attribute should be explained - at least in brief - on how it affects players. While some are obvious like sprint speed or show power, most of them are not. For the majority of a player's attributes one or two sentences would be enough. I don't demand an essay about the inner mechanics of each attribute and their correlations, all I'm asking for is some very mild outline to what they do.

As an example for questions:
- In what situations does "composure" take effect? Is it only relevant for finishing inside the box, everywhere aln the pitch? Does it affect positioning or tackling ability on defenders? Does it affect passing when closed down?
- Long passing: when does this stat affact how a player passes? Is it only on passes > 25yds? Only through balls/low drivens/etc.?
- and so on.

This could be just simply clearified by a few words either ingame or on a central place on their official website where stuff like this is explained. It wouldn't take impossible resources to just write a few words and clear things up. It wouldn't destroy revenue, it wouldn't hurt and it certainly would help a lot of people to be less angry about the lack of communication and documentation of this game.

I really had high hopes that we get answers to all of those questions and unknown things after the first one or 2 weeks of FIFA 17 and then again when FIFA 18 launched - but it was all just hot air.

I'm wondering if at least SOME sort of explaination is really too much to ask after almost a decade since the launch of FUT.

#ExplainFIFA

//Edit: 1 down, 3 to go.

Comments

• Pieman25
    15356 posts World Class
    Another user posted this in your other thread on chemisty:

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/tips-and-tricks/how-chemistry-works-in-fut-17
  • bberger
    Pieman25 wrote: »

Already saw that. Thank you, so we can basically scrap #1 on that list. Good job EA, 3 to go ;-)
  • RayS
    24912 posts Player of the Year
    edited August 2018
    I support this :)

EA have already stated their intent to be more transparent with game mechanics with their "Pitch Notes" so if they could just add these topics to their list, that would be very nice.
    Pieman25 wrote: »

note that that was explained specifically for FUT 17. We have no confirmation from EA whether those numbers and boosts still apply. A simple reinstatement of the article would remove any doubt whether we should still believe those numbers or not.

Really simple things imo.

@EA_Andy @EA_Lanna @EA_DarDar @EA_Leeloo
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Always complained about this. Good work.
  • RayS
    edited August 2018
    when pressed on the matter, @EA_Andy would not confirm or deny that the article from FUT 17 on chem still applied. Andy, can we revisit this topic? I realize you may not know off the top of your head, but could we at least get the answer from the devs?
  • selb
    5750 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah it would be nice to get a little more info on how the players react to certain traits and attributes, also the GK chem style thing too, I find it odd that there is nowhere that does a calculation on GK chem styles.

You got my support on this @bberger
  • Rendevous_star
    378 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yup great post. Let’s see what happens
  • mdizzl3
    12291 posts Has That Special Something
    They need to produce a comprehensive pack 9n how all the elements of FUT actually work. Great thread.
  • RayS
    selb wrote: »
    Yeah it would be nice to get a little more info on how the players react to certain traits and attributes, also the GK chem style thing too, I find it odd that there is nowhere that does a calculation on GK chem styles.

You got my support on this @bberger

this is simply because all the sites that do chem boost calculations base it off that original chem article from FUT 17. This article never mentioned GK chem boosts for reasons only known to EA

Which I just remembered... that article has a link to a google docs with the boosts documented. That link no longer works... sooooo are those still the boosts? or is there updated data?

document management in regards to most recent and applicable standards is not a hard thing to mantain. I work for a company that does this regularly. We regularly update company documents, but we have a process to notify appropriate personel of the most up to date revision of a specific document.
  • FixFifaaaaa
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    Good thread op. I am tired of 2-3 chem players in div 1 running on steroids, especially all red link teams. Absolute disgusting
  • RayS
    edited August 2018
    From EA’s official “Pitch Notes” home page:
    “one piece of feedback we have heard loud and clear from you, our players, is that you wanted to see more information from us as a team: more insight from developers, more communication, and more community updates around progress, patches, and changes to the product.

We hear you.”

Do you hear us, EA? Time will tell.
  • EA_Andy
    2917 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey @bberger and everyone else :)

I don't have any info on the things mentioned to hand that I can share but as pointed out in the thread already we want to use Pitch Notes to talk about more things that go into the game.

Exactly what this will be or when I don't know right now but keep an eye out as I know the team are keen to communicate more often.
  • bberger
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    Hey @bberger and everyone else :)

I don't have any info on the things mentioned to hand that I can share but as pointed out in the thread already we want to use Pitch Notes to talk about more things that go into the game.

Exactly what this will be or when I don't know right now but keep an eye out as I know the team are keen to communicate more often.

This is a very good start. Reminds me of the good old "insider" days at madden.

While this is really appreciated it unfortunately is a completely non-related issue, although a very good start :-)
  • RayS
    Step one, Andy responds. Let’s see how far we get.
  • Flamstead
    2787 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great thread. Following.

• bberger
    Agreed. Just wanted to make sure us appreciating the Pitch Nodes doesn't automatically erase our concerns about those corner stones ;-)
  • RayS
    bberger wrote: »
    Agreed. Just wanted to make sure us appreciating the Pitch Nodes doesn't automatically erase our concerns about those corner stones ;-)

I for one won’t let @EA_Andy forget ;)
  • kcichris
    1503 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stamina

Physical attributes are affected by a player’s stamina during the match. The attributes affected are as follows:

Acceleration
    Agility
    Jumping
    Strength
    Reactions
    Marking

i'd love to get some more detailed information on that
  • bberger
    RayS wrote: »

Yeah, me neither. It is however my 4th or 5th attempt dating back to 2015 to raise attention on this.

However back then EA showed even less interest in the forums and communication, now we have at least official community managers whom we can raise our concerns too - that gives me hope :-)
  • ON3_SHOT187
    513 posts An Exciting Prospect

Yeah, me neither. It is however my 4th or 5th attempt dating back to 2015 to raise attention on this.

However back then EA showed even less interest in the forums and communication, now we have at least official community managers whom we can raise our concerns too - that gives me hope :-)

I respect your persistence @bberger and I also fully support your cause.

I fell in love with FUT since I first started back in 2010 and sadly the mysterious forces behind the shadows has been putting me off more and more each year.

Making the game as fair as possible should be the unique selling point. Now that big money is involved, I feel like EA is turning their full attention towards nothing but maximizing their profit margins (which is understandable to a certain extent).

I hope that the company doesn't lose sight of how us, the loyal players, had a huge part in making this game a colossal success. A bit of transparency and a little bit less greed can go a very very long way.

After all, happy customers will contribute towards an even more successful future for FIFA Ultimate Team.

If we take away the little imperfections for a second, you'll see that what EA has done is actually incredible.

I was just sat on the bus buying players for an sbc, and the lad who sat next to me pulled out his phone and showed me his team on the companion app.

We exchanged gamer tags and had a great conversation. And it all started with him seeing my fifa app lol.

C'mon EA, invest in us and we will help this franchise to thrive for decades to come.

Yours truly,

Zingolo

@EA_Andy
  • maksi
    6504 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2018
    EA PR always promise more communication but they always go silent after that, they have promised to be active on fifa reddit a few months ago but no word from them since then.

So i wouldn't hold my breath this time is going to be any different.
  • forearms
    4282 posts National Call-Up
    Look how long the Icon missing traits thread went without acknowledgment. Its still unanswered as you have pointed out. No one knows what traits do in game or if they even work.

A point brought up earlier is: why can you buy the same player, on same chem, in same team perform so differently than one you already had in the squad. Same player, just different card. I have had 5 versions of the same card (earlier this year, kept selling and buying back) and there were distinct differences in how they played. Same chem, chem style, team, fitness. WHY?

You have my support. I will subscribe and hope you may get some actual answers for once, instead of just being told that they are looking into it (as been the case for traits for over 10 months now.)
  • bberger
    Yeah #traitgate also affects TOTY. TOTY Bonucci is supposed to have the power FK runup - as you guess he has not.
  • forearms
    abandoned?
  • Mossup
    976 posts Professional
    Going into Fifa 19, it would be nice to have a better understanding of how things work.
    @EA_Andy @EA_DarDar @EA_Leeloo @EA_Lanna
  • bberger
    edited August 2018
    forearms wrote: »
    abandoned?

Not abandoned, just trying to give EA some breathing space. Don't want to overpressure. :joy:
  • Flamstead
    2787 posts Fans' Favourite
    Any update on this EA?
  • forearms
    There will be no update. That's a given. This will go the same way that the missing traits thread did. EA waited everyone out, until nobody cared to follow up anymore.
  • Trobos_Locos
    1288 posts Professional

I respect your persistence @bberger and I also fully support your cause.

I fell in love with FUT since I first started back in 2010 and sadly the mysterious forces behind the shadows has been putting me off more and more each year.

Making the game as fair as possible should be the unique selling point. Now that big money is involved, I feel like EA is turning their full attention towards nothing but maximizing their profit margins (which is understandable to a certain extent).

I hope that the company doesn't lose sight of how us, the loyal players, had a huge part in making this game a colossal success. A bit of transparency and a little bit less greed can go a very very long way.

After all, happy customers will contribute towards an even more successful future for FIFA Ultimate Team.

If we take away the little imperfections for a second, you'll see that what EA has done is actually incredible.

I was just sat on the bus buying players for an sbc, and the lad who sat next to me pulled out his phone and showed me his team on the companion app.

We exchanged gamer tags and had a great conversation. And it all started with him seeing my fifa app lol.

C'mon EA, invest in us and we will help this franchise to thrive for decades to come.

Yours truly,

Zingolo

@EA_Andy

Me too... Pretty much the only game I play and I am seriously thinking about stop buying it due to the frustration it causes from game to game.

Inconsistency and unexplainable situations during the game that seriously make you think that the best is stop playing this game for good.

The community here in the forums is great and is one of the positive things in the game but out of the forums many people actively posting rarely play the game due to the negative non-sense situations in the game.
  • Nate
    2149 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great write up @bberger , I've been a huge advocate of this too. Far too little about the game is explained while other games get detailed write ups of how everything works. We get literally nothing and have to beg from info from outside sources or make assumptions. The fact chemistry styles will have been around for 5 years now and we still don't know all the info about them is insane to me.

Attributes are probably the biggest mystery and I agree with all points. We should know what are the thresholds are for passing, shooting, dribbling, etc. and what stats lead to what results. Completely agree about the traits as well, need detailed explanation of how they effect stats, what they actually do, everything!

#ExplainFIFA