Mesut Özil retires from international football due to “racism and disrespect”

Comments

• Neckabob
    13320 posts Has That Special Something
    maksi wrote: »
    He only tarnished his national team legacy by calling german fans racist.

Read his statement before commenting. Dfb chief and politicians calling him turkish pig and so on
    maksi wrote: »
    Why they don't blame Boateng and Khedira if they're so racist?

Because they have problems with Erdogan and Turkish people
    kcichris wrote: »
    Its not racism its the way he plays. Hes not a leader, he looks very lethargic, looses most of his duells thats why he got more of the criticism when loosing and was even criticised when winning. Even after the 2014 worldcup many people said we won in spite of Özil not because of him. The picture in the middle of an election campaign with the leader of the country that is ranked between Rwanda and Kazakhstan in the Press Freedom Index was just the last straw. Gündogan and Can who were in the same picture wont have problems in the national team or with the fans, same with Boateng, Khedira, Rüdiger, Gnabry, Tah etc.

Read the statement. Politicians were racist against him. Can wasnt even in picture and Gundogan was booed shittalked amd insulted too.
  • Neckabob
    Ghazano wrote: »
    I wonder if he will quit arsenal now for singling him out for the same criticism and call them racists?

No he won’t because they give him a suitcase full of money every week.

Jesus Christ. Did anyone have read who he called racist? Or did anyone even read the statement. Thats the problem with people these days. Talking as if they know
  • SanderFC
    3034 posts National Call-Up
    kcichris wrote: »
    Its not racism its the way he plays. Hes not a leader, he looks very lethargic, looses most of his duells thats why he got more of the criticism when loosing and was even criticised when winning. Even after the 2014 worldcup many people said we won in spite of Özil not because of him. The picture in the middle of an election campaign with the leader of the country that is ranked between Rwanda and Kazakhstan in the Press Freedom Index was just the last straw. Gündogan and Can who were in the same picture wont have problems in the national team or with the fans, same with Boateng, Khedira, Rüdiger, Gnabry, Tah etc.

Ozil has a completely different status than Gundogan (only a sub for 1 WC game) and Can (not in the national squad since 2017). He started every game in WC2010, EC2012, WC2014 and EC2016.

I assume Erdogan isn't really popular in Germany (besides the part that votes for him in the Turkish elections) because of what he said about the politicians, the Böhmermann affair and because the germans see a lot of news reports about Turkey. It's not really about the treatment of his domestic press because who would really care when Ozil takes pictures with the leaders of Rwanda and Kazakhstan. Who even knows about Salah and Ramzan Kadyrov this summer?
  • jjroc
    70 posts Park Captain
    sad, and disgusted...
  • kcichris
    1616 posts Play-Off Hero

Ozil has a completely different status than Gundogan (only a sub for 1 WC game) and Can (not in the national squad since 2017). He started every game in WC2010, EC2012, WC2014 and EC2016.

I assume Erdogan isn't really popular in Germany (besides the part that votes for him in the Turkish elections) because of what he said about the politicians, the Böhmermann affair and because the germans see a lot of news reports about Turkey. It's not really about the treatment of his domestic press because who would really care when Ozil takes pictures with the leaders of Rwanda and Kazakhstan. Who even knows about Salah and Ramzan Kadyrov this summer?

Egypt staying in Chechnya and Kadyrov making propaganda with the egypt national team was a big topic in german media aswell and Putin was criticised pretty much the whole time during the world cup so much that it was too much for many people. The bad image of Turkey in Germany actually comes mostly from the treatment of the domestic press, because there were several german journalists with turkish descent that got arrested for no reason but being criticial of Erdogan. Just google Deniz Yücel biggest media topic in Germany in 2017 or Peter Steudtner.
  • Aqeel87
    2916 posts Fans' Favourite

"When you win you are German when you lose you are an immigrant". Never a truer word spoken.

Scapegoat since the mlmdng he walked in. Tolerated when the World Cup was won, questioned on his allegiance, demeanor otherwise. Finally ONE photo op is enough for opportunist's to destroy the boy. Never forget, he was abused, abused and abused despite playing well for us this time, while Hummels and Muller get no criticism. Don't blame you, Mesut. You deserve better, lad.
  • joehuk
    4136 posts National Call-Up
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    Lunty wrote: »
    Don’t think he’s be disrespected if he played well

Played better than Boateng

Lol so true.. I was amazed by boatengs performances he look as tho he was playing for the opposition every game.
  • truegunn3r
    10236 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 2018
    Damn it, the Germans can’t take it that a Bundesliga reject in the name of Heung Ming Son whooped their *** out of the World Cup.
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner
    "Because they have a problem with Erdogan..."

You have to be next level braindead not to have a problem with him.
  • Ker_Mit
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    Mart wrote: »

Duh. He was democratically elected man.
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner
    Ker_Mit wrote: »

I can name a whole host of leaders who were "democratically elected" and should better be six feet under.
  • Orison
    54964 posts National Treasure
    Özil's statement showed a severe lack of self reflection.

He basically did what Grindel did it as well. Just don't look at your own mistakes and blame everyone else instead.

Both sides lost on this one.
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain
    Ozil is German, in no single way he is Turkish. German to the bone. My ancestors are Adam and Eve but still I'm 100% Dutch. Born and raised over here, where my ancestors came from has nothing to do with what I am.
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain

The ironic part is that the Turkish people not living in Turkey voted for that dictator :D They don't give a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ about what happens in Turkey so they vote the worst option. Already find it kinda weird that Turkish people in the Netherlands are allowed to vote for Turkish elections.
  • Ker_Mit
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2018
    Manutelli wrote: »

The ironic part is that the Turkish people not living in Turkey voted for that dictator :D They don't give a **** about what happens in Turkey so they vote the worst option. Already find it kinda weird that Turkish people in the Netherlands are allowed to vote for Turkish elections.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Erdogan wouldnt have decided that people outside of Turkey can vote (did he actually decided that? not sure) he would've lost the election right?
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain

The ironic part is that the Turkish people not living in Turkey voted for that dictator :D They don't give a **** about what happens in Turkey so they vote the worst option. Already find it kinda weird that Turkish people in the Netherlands are allowed to vote for Turkish elections.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Erdogan wouldnt have decided that people outside of Turkey can vote (did he actually decided that? not sure) he would've lost the election right?

Had a slight majority in Turkey, looking at the votes in Holland he got a huge majority over here. People that got nothing to do with Turkey or Erdogan can't really be bothered to vote.

I think that people who live here should vote for the Dutch politics. If they want to vote for the Turkish ones they just need to ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off.
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner
    Would happily look the other way if every Turk who voted for him here was deported. 90% are on benefits and laughing their ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off as well.
  • Futfanatic
    15221 posts World Class

Had a slight majority in Turkey, looking at the votes in Holland he got a huge majority over here. People that got nothing to do with Turkey or Erdogan can't really be bothered to vote.

I think that people who live here should vote for the Dutch politics. If they want to vote for the Turkish ones they just need to **** off.

Classic. You fit perfectly with the right-wing Germans. You don’t decide how other people should feel. They have the right to vote, they can vote. Nothing you can say or do about it.
  • Futfanatic
    15221 posts World Class
    Would happily look the other way if every Turk who voted for him here was deported. 90% are on benefits and laughing their **** off as well.

Another one. Be on the right side of history kid, educate yourself. Its not too late.
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner
    Futfanatic wrote: »
    Would happily look the other way if every Turk who voted for him here was deported. 90% are on benefits and laughing their **** off as well.

Another one. Be on the right side of history kid, educate yourself. Its not too late.

They were parading through the streets here when Erdogan won the election, disturbing the peace and generally being obnoxious after voting in favour of a man who's opposed to everything our country stands for. Couldn't give a rat's arse what happens to them since they couldn't care either.
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain

I think that people who live here should vote for the Dutch politics. If they want to vote for the Turkish ones they just need to **** off.

Classic. You fit perfectly with the right-wing Germans. You don’t decide how other people should feel. They have the right to vote, they can vote. Nothing you can say or do about it.

Keep sticking your head in the sand...
  • Futfanatic
    15221 posts World Class

They were parading through the streets here when Erdogan won the election, disturbing the peace and generally being obnoxious after voting in favour of a man who's opposed to everything our country stands for. Couldn't give a rat's arse what happens to them since they couldn't care either.
    You also should know that those are the people who were prosecuted for their culture and religion before Erdogan came into power. There’s a reason they love him so much. They came here to the Netherlands not only because they were wanted for lack of workers but also because they were free to be who they are. Don’t be a worse generation than the last one, remember our values and don’t let yourself be used for a right wing populistic agenda. History has shown us many times that it leads us down a dark path.
  • Futfanatic
    15221 posts World Class
    edited July 2018

Stop repeating the words of career politicians who are laughing all the way to the bank. Hate doesn’t bring us anywhere.

Also Erdogan would have won without any of the votes of Turks outside of Turkey. Please don’t forget to mention that in the future when you discuss this matter.
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner

You also should know that those are the people who were prosecuted for their culture and religion before Erdogan came into power. There’s a reason they love him so much. They came here to the Netherlands not only because they were wanted for lack of workers but also because they were free to be who they are. Don’t be a worse generation than the last one, remember our values and don’t let yourself be used for a right wing populistic agenda. History has shown us many times that it leads us down a dark path.

"right-wing propaganda", I raise you left-wing delusion.
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain

But is that a reason to not adapt? Because all we see is them not adapting and being a huge pain in the arse. There are people who want to fit in but the people that vote for a dictator in Turkey?
  • Manutelli
    20760 posts Club Captain

Stop repeating the words of career politicians who are laughing all the way to the bank. Hate doesn’t bring us anywhere.

Hating? I am not hating, I'm being rational. But whatever floats your boat, accept everything pal. Win schaffen das.
  • Blackstarz
    139 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited July 2018
    How can idiots in this thread claim he has not received racist abuse, have you read the hate mail or twitter messages he has been sent ? he was also called a goat f***** by a german politician.
  • Neckabob
    Ozil is German, in no single way he is Turkish. German to the bone. My ancestors are Adam and Eve but still I'm 100% Dutch. Born and raised over here, where my ancestors came from has nothing to do with what I am.

Yeah ok. If both of my parents are Turkish i should just ignore that? As I said and I say it again. You guys want us to forget our culture etc to be fully accepted as German/Dutch
  • Neckabob

But is that a reason to not adapt? Because all we see is them not adapting and being a huge pain in the arse. There are people who want to fit in but the people that vote for a dictator in Turkey?

You completely sound like the Germans :D just because you vote for him you are not integrated anymore, you cant be German? Not voting for him automatically makes us more German lol and Im not a Erdogan supporter but these same bs statements are annoying me. And no Im not gonna ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off to Turkey
  • Mart
    8153 posts League Winner
    Voting for Erdogan automatically makes you a foreigner in my eyes. Shows you are completely incompatible with our values.
This discussion has been closed.