Icon Graveyard

Frankenberry
10214 posts Has That Special Something
168473.png166906.png226764.png191695.png10264.png5589.png4833.png222257.png164000.png161840.png6235.png1183.png241.png246.png214649.png240.png7518.png215732.png214101.png166120.png117106.png4202.png1201.png942.png222680.png215558.png177845.png46747.png7743.png6975.png393.png388.png244.png195.png5467.png1845.png805.png1.png20170.png177839.png

Please pay your respects to these lost Icons that EA have decided were too expensive to renegotiate into being included in FUT.

I'm pretty disappointed in this trend (removing tons of Legends from previous years but giving each Icon 3 unique-ish versions) for Legends/Icons. Hopefully losing all of these players was a one-time issue from 17 to 18. It's easy to get excited about Cruyff, Zidane, etc., but I hate losing 40 Icons and getting a handful of newer/fancier ones.

Comments

• VICTAAAA
    10757 posts Has That Special Something
    the gooner in me misses: Sol, Jens and David.
    the FUT player in me really misses Beckenbauer, Best and Romairo (never got to use him in 14)
  • uhMaZiiNq
    11278 posts Has That Special Something
    Wow had no idea there were actually 40 that have been removed over the years
  • VICTAAAA
    uhMaZiiNq wrote: »
    Wow had no idea there were actually 40 that have been removed over the years

they removed Romario at the end of 14 when he ran for Brazilian office. But in ever year after EA just added without subtracting.... until 18, -39
  • kfcbucket21
    6074 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah I wasnt a fan of the legends to icon switch. Just an excuse to have less of them and pay less for rights disguised as a progression system
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31661 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 2018
    Best, Romario, Weah, Keene, Nedved :cry:
  • MisterJV
    10773 posts Has That Special Something
    Best , He is still in my club on 17
    Keane
  • Azof
    16353 posts World Class
    Did not realise that many were removed wow
  • MonkeyFutty
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    Most of those were just filler anyway that were discard and nobody wanted

I’d rather have a Zidane instead of Neville/Carragher/OGS/Donovan etc
  • Frankenberry

Take a look at the current Icons. Other than a few of the top prime versions (mostly due to SBCs), a few random strikers, and then a few low-rated position change versions, the vast majority of these Icons are never used (i.e. I have come up against them 0-1 times over all of FUT 18).

Yes, Zidane is obviously better than Phil Neville. EA could have a set of 20 Icons or a set of 200 Icons, and most users would still only use the same "elite" ones (e.g. Gullit, Vieira, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, etc.). If you're playing FUT just to use the 11 most OP cards, you're missing out on the best aspects of this wonderful game mode.
  • VICTAAAA

nope, having three version of one player when one is actually wanted doesn't make it "more content." let's not forget how idiotic the staggered and unsteady release were.
  • Diggy
    13616 posts Has That Special Something
    Brehme :(
  • Finesse_4days
    6823 posts Big Money Move
    Ea best add 3 or 4 elite ones for Fifa 19 because the choice of Icon Cms and full backs is pure Trash , there is only 1 Rw card that is 85 rated and there is Only Ronaldo and Henry that are top quality icon strikers, so basically there's awful selection this year explaining why most people have the same meat teams.
    They should add Ballack,, Facchetti, Cafu, Cruyff and Cantona and maybe a cheap one like Vieri or zola to return.
  • Ulook92
    12459 posts Has That Special Something
    half of them belong there tbh but there are a lot of good ones in there too. Its a shame.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Give me a Bobby Charlton and all will be forgiven.
  • MonkeyFutty

Take a look at the current Icons. Other than a few of the top prime versions (mostly due to SBCs), a few random strikers, and then a few low-rated position change versions, the vast majority of these Icons are never used (i.e. I have come up against them 0-1 times over all of FUT 18).

Yes, Zidane is obviously better than Phil Neville. EA could have a set of 20 Icons or a set of 200 Icons, and most users would still only use the same "elite" ones (e.g. Gullit, Vieira, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, etc.). If you're playing FUT just to use the 11 most OP cards, you're missing out on the best aspects of this wonderful game mode.

I agree to an extent but someone like Valderama was terrible. There’s loyalty and nostalgia but when he performs terribly nobody will care.

The clones will always use the same cards and not try any variation which I agree is the best thing about the game.
  • Frankenberry
    I agree to an extent but someone like Valderama was terrible. There’s loyalty and nostalgia but when he performs terribly nobody will care.

Valderrama was ridiculously good at dribbling and passing and sold for discard price. I cared and I'm sure plenty of other people do too.
  • MonkeyFutty

Valderrama was ridiculously good at dribbling and passing and sold for discard price. I cared and I'm sure plenty of other people do too.

If you thought he was good you’d blow your mind if you used some elite players.
  • Pugzilla
    15806 posts World Class

I think I broke a controller against an unstoppable Valderrama/silver Colombian team haha.

Freaking kid hit so many shots with Pibe lol
  • hockeyphenom87
    7049 posts Big Money Move

I'm pretty sure he has every legend and nearly every special card that's existed.
  • Diggy
    13616 posts Has That Special Something

The clones will always use the same cards and not try any variation which I agree is the best thing about the game.

Valderama was worthwhile just for best hair in game & his dribbling style was unique
  • Hibee
    11848 posts Has That Special Something
    Not everyone plays with the sole intention of having to win. I loved using players like Valderrama, Futre, Zola, Nedved etc as I had watched them all play. Way more fun to use for myself that some Mexican with crazy stats I have never seen play.
  • mjs4p
    11073 posts Has That Special Something

I'm pretty sure he has every legend and nearly every special card that's existed.

Nah, ball boys that joined less than a week ago always have all the answers! :D

I agree with OP. It’s sad, and I hope the trend is reversed. I miss a number of the past legend cards.
  • LFC Simon 98
    16536 posts World Class

This. Pretty sure he had nearly every player one year :D
  • Agent VZ
    29162 posts Player of the Year
    Prime George Best was missed.
  • Keano
    12700 posts Has That Special Something
    it's disgusting that they've cut that many & just done a cheaper & easier 3 versions of a few. a lot of people loved/used those that were removed, personally don't really have any wowfactor about any of the icons this year, I mean Rio/Big Pete/VDS due to United but none are attacking or produce moments of magic so it's not as wow as ones they removed.

Hope it's just this year where they missed out on it & sorted it for the next few fifa's after, heard somewhere (but haven'tbeen able to find the proof) that Calum Best said in an interview to basically stay tuned on info about George Best back in fifa, as I said couldn't find the interview etc.
  • maymanpele
    14389 posts Has That Special Something
    Didn't realize how much I didn't care about this. Thank you for that. I am now aware.
  • Hibee
    11848 posts Has That Special Something
    I had a full Portugal team last year with Figo, Costa, Deco, Pauletta and Futre. Man that was one fun team.
  • dami_
    18 posts Ball Boy
    I actually used Futre a lot last year, absolutely loved him paired with Hernandez upfront, the 5 star weak foot made him an absolute monster. Used Effenberg as a cdm towards the end of the year and thought he was very good too.
  • CR7BRUH
    3870 posts National Call-Up
    Bring back Hristo!!!
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 2018
    I don't think that all of them need to be brought back, but those with Ballon D'ors, genuine pedigree and ability with stand out careers would be great to have back.

I think they also really need to sort out icon stats and appearance in general.