What Went Wrong With England?

13

Comments

  • Gabbinho04
    268 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sterling is somehow even less clinical then he was at Liverpool. (Guardiola has worked some water to wine magic to get them goals out of him last season).

    Kane also really isn't that great, he's actually very limited but he'll take that golden boot with two penalties and a deflection he had no idea about with great pride.

    Kane isn’t that great? Can’t think of many strikers in world football that are better than him.
  • Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    Congratulations on correctly predicting that England wouldn’t win the World Cup. I think you alone saw that. Everyone else in the world thought england would win it.
    2e4z3t.jpg
    Sorry for the teams England came up against. The draw was entirely England’s fault. That they had the audacity to beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and a very good Colombia (on penalties) and take an excellent Croatia to extra time was just insulting on the part of the English. Sorry.
    It was entirely England’s that they churned poor-to-average performances at this WC despite facing binmen. Neither is Colombia "good" nor Croatia "excellent", they were both easily exposed by competent teams that they faced, the fact England struggled heavily against both speaks to the hammering they would have taken had they faced said teams.
    With regards to pedigree - the current England squad and manager apologise for the past failings, even though they, er, broadly weren’t involved.
    7 of England main WC 2018 starting 11 were apart of the abject failure against Iceland. The current England manager is very literally the poster boy for Englands tournament failures.
    Losing a semi final in extra time can indeed be described as bottling it. In no way were the squad not good enough, as you had already.... wait a minute! They either bottled it or they weren’t good enough. Which is it? You’ve argued both. I’m now confused.
    This was the easiest potential WC final route of any team in over 50 years. The fact England saw fit to look at this gift horse and proceed to defecate an all mighty failure in it's mouth would be classed as bottling it. So yes, England bottled the chance they were presented, not the games on a individual level. In that regard they were clearly lacking in ability. Therefor both views are valid.
    Not sure who you support or what your gripe is with england but no-one cares. You sound a little small-time.
    I have no gripe with England, I'm just presenting a realistic and intelligent analysis of their WC performance. And I wouldn't say "no-one care", you seem to care given you replied and others seem to care given this thread has 3 pages. If I'm small time I can only imagine how minuscule people must be to cheer and get excited about wins over Panama and Tunisia.
    England has a bright future, just take a look at the U17s and the U21s. Sounds like someone’s a little worried.
    Don't make me embarrass you further by posting of the stats of how few U17 and U21 WC winning players even end up at top level leagues let alone become future WC winners.
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    Nothing went wrong. They massively overachieved.
  • VagisilFC
    1417 posts Play-Off Hero
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    I want to know what happened against Colombia. It was complete role reversal.

    The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.
    Thanks for your input, Vagisil. However, you are wrong.

    Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
    I would love to see the match that you were watching if you think that England were ‘flopping’ whilst Colombia were only ‘defending hard’, because that assertion could not be further from the truth.

    PS I’m not English so you can save your racist insults for someone else, thanks.

    Now none of them are English!!! Back to being British I suppose
  • Alex_cr
    5078 posts Big Money Move
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    I want to know what happened against Colombia. It was complete role reversal.

    The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.
    Thanks for your input, Vagisil. However, you are wrong.

    Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
    I would love to see the match that you were watching if you think that England were ‘flopping’ whilst Colombia were only ‘defending hard’, because that assertion could not be further from the truth.

    PS I’m not English so you can save your racist insults for someone else, thanks.

    Now none of them are English!!! Back to being British I suppose

    This is the most ridiculous comment on here yet. You’ll find very few English - or Scottish, Welsh or Irish calling themselves British. You can’t just make stuff up.
  • ViVaWhom
    8116 posts League Winner
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Nothing went wrong. They massively overachieved.

    they didnt over achieve, they just didnt under achieve... they did what the quality of that team should do, the only reason they went to semis is because of the opponents

    if they landed on belgiums side they would have been out first round or next
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Nothing went wrong. They massively overachieved.

    they didnt over achieve, they just didnt under achieve... they did what the quality of that team should do, the only reason they went to semis is because of the opponents

    if they landed on belgiums side they would have been out first round or next

    Wrong, looking at the quality of this England side it's fair to say that the round of 16 is a suitable level for them. They over achieved, massively.
  • ViVaWhom
    8116 posts League Winner
    edited July 2018
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Nothing went wrong. They massively overachieved.

    they didnt over achieve, they just didnt under achieve... they did what the quality of that team should do, the only reason they went to semis is because of the opponents

    if they landed on belgiums side they would have been out first round or next

    Wrong, looking at the quality of this England side it's fair to say that the round of 16 is a suitable level for them. They over achieved, massively.

    yes, thanks to the draw not through playing better than they can
  • VagisilFC
    1417 posts Play-Off Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    I want to know what happened against Colombia. It was complete role reversal.

    The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.
    Thanks for your input, Vagisil. However, you are wrong.

    Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
    I would love to see the match that you were watching if you think that England were ‘flopping’ whilst Colombia were only ‘defending hard’, because that assertion could not be further from the truth.

    PS I’m not English so you can save your racist insults for someone else, thanks.

    Now none of them are English!!! Back to being British I suppose

    This is the most ridiculous comment on here yet. You’ll find very few English - or Scottish, Welsh or Irish calling themselves British. You can’t just make stuff up.

    Just the English when they lose all of a sudden become British..... or when a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish do well at something they are all of a sudden consider British by the english. Standard fairweather plastic sportsfans.
  • Alex_cr
    5078 posts Big Money Move
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    ffs Martan wrote: »
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    I want to know what happened against Colombia. It was complete role reversal.

    The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.
    Thanks for your input, Vagisil. However, you are wrong.

    Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
    I would love to see the match that you were watching if you think that England were ‘flopping’ whilst Colombia were only ‘defending hard’, because that assertion could not be further from the truth.

    PS I’m not English so you can save your racist insults for someone else, thanks.

    Now none of them are English!!! Back to being British I suppose

    This is the most ridiculous comment on here yet. You’ll find very few English - or Scottish, Welsh or Irish calling themselves British. You can’t just make stuff up.

    Just the English when they lose all of a sudden become British..... or when a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish do well at something they are all of a sudden consider British by the english. Standard fairweather plastic sportsfans.

    No you’re half right. Yes we tend to refer to a Scot, Irish or Welshman as A Brit when they do well.

    We would never however, put ourselves as British before English - that is just not a thing. Sorry but you’re just so wide of the mark there.
  • MiltFarquhar
    40 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited July 2018
    Rhodesia wrote: »
    Don't make me embarrass you further by posting of the stats of how few U17 and U21 WC winning players even end up at top level leagues let alone become future WC winners. [/quote]

    There’s only one person you’re embarrassing here, and it’s not me. You’re allowed to hate England, and to revel in their failure. Entirely your call, it’s what makes football the experience it is. But please - don’t pass this off as intelligent opinion or insight. Only a crazed Englishman would think they were going to win it before the tournament.

    For the record - I’m English but we’re a bit too jingoistic for my liking and I prefer the Scots or Wales when it comes to international football. England typically leave me flat. I have very little interest in them. But as a relatively impartial observer, you come across as someone who is far too pleased with their self appointed “football analyst” title. You’ve said nothing no-one already knew, and you’ve said it in a particularly puerile fashion. We can sit here and trade insults all day - you can continue, in your own words, to “embarrass me” all you like - but I’ve forgotten more about football than you’ll ever know and I can only hope you’re a teenager because if this is as good as you’ve got, you’re going to be rubbish when people actively dismantle your arguments, rather than mock them. As I did. Because it was easy.
  • MiltFarquhar
    40 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Nothing went wrong. They massively overachieved.

    they didnt over achieve, they just didnt under achieve... they did what the quality of that team should do, the only reason they went to semis is because of the opponents

    if they landed on belgiums side they would have been out first round or next

    Wrong, looking at the quality of this England side it's fair to say that the round of 16 is a suitable level for them. They over achieved, massively.

    It’s not “wrong”. It’s an opinion.
  • Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2018

    There’s only one person you’re embarrassing here, and it’s not me. You’re allowed to hate England, and to revel in their failure. Entirely your call, it’s what makes football the experience it is. But please - don’t pass this off as intelligent opinion or insight. Only a crazed Englishman would think they were going to win it before the tournament.

    For the record - I’m English but we’re a bit too jingoistic for my liking and I prefer the Scots or Wales when it comes to international football. England typically leave me flat. I have very little interest in them. But as a relatively impartial observer, you come across as someone who is far too pleased with their self appointed “football analyst” title. You’ve said nothing no-one already knew, and you’ve said it in a particularly puerile fashion. We can sit here and trade insults all day - you can continue, in your own words, to “embarrass me” all you like - but I’ve forgotten more about football than you’ll ever know and I can only hope you’re a teenager because if this is as good as you’ve got, you’re going to be rubbish when people actively dismantle your arguments, rather than mock them. As I did. Because it was easy.


    I individually quoted, refuted and rebutted each and every point you made. You can't even quote correctly and your entire post was literally one long try-hard rambling insult in which you failed to counter even a single point. I own you now.

    It’s not “wrong”. It’s an opinion.

    Oh sweetie. No one asked what his favorite color was. Offering an "opinion" on a quantifiable and observable metric means it can be wrong.

  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    :D
Sign In or Register to comment.