What Went Wrong With England?

Comments

• ffs Martan
    9799 posts League Winner
    VagisilFC wrote: »
    I want to know what happened against Colombia. It was complete role reversal.

The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.
    Thanks for your input, Vagisil. However, you are wrong.
  • VagisilFC
    1417 posts Play-Off Hero
    ffs Martan wrote: »

The South America team was defending hard and the European team was flopping all over the place. It looked like The great Gloucester Cheese roll there where so many English rolling around.

Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
  • ffs Martan
    9799 posts League Winner
    ffs Martan wrote: »

Questions can't be wrong, only embarrassed limey English egos in this case
    I would love to see the match that you were watching if you think that England were ‘flopping’ whilst Colombia were only ‘defending hard’, because that assertion could not be further from the truth.

PS I’m not English so you can save your racist insults for someone else, thanks.
  • AEsey
    5997 posts Big Money Move
    Its coming home boys
  • finsfan85
    12390 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 2018
    AEsey wrote: »
    Its coming home boys

:joy:
  • Kman
    2914 posts Fans' Favourite
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Its coming home boys

At least England had a realistic shot lol USA never will.
  • Kellnerr
    2571 posts Fans' Favourite
    Walker has had a nightmare today, his individual errors led to both goals tbh.
  • Jfo88
    22613 posts Club Captain
    Kman wrote: »
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif
  • finsfan85
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Walker has had a nightmare today, his individual errors led to both goals tbh.

Young was even worse today
  • ViVaWhom
    8103 posts League Winner
    they didnt get another championship quality team
  • AEsey
    5997 posts Big Money Move
    Its coming home boys

Nothing wrong in being optimistic my friend
    No point in being negative all the time, you'd never achieve anything
  • Kman
    2914 posts Fans' Favourite
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

One team went to the World Cup the other didn’t so yes, one team had a far more realistic shot than the other lol moron

• G000ner
    4210 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2018
    What cost us was Kane's missed chance in the first half. He's been great all tournament, but he was poor today, and I'd expect him to be finishing that chance. 2-0 up and it's very difficult for Croatia to come back. You can't blame the centre backs when the wing backs allowed Croatia to pummel our box for 45 mins. Young hasn't really had a good game all tournament, he has always been the weak link. He offers nothing in attack. Defensively he's ok for a former winger, but as soon as he's up against a decent winger he struggles. Rose was clearly the better option from the beginning.

First half was the best I've seen us play. Then the second half onwards Croatia were dominant and we just couldn't get going at all. Taking off Sterling didn't help, he was a threat the whole time when he was on because of the runs he was making. Rashford basically marked their centre backs, made it so easy for them. Croatia could then just play a high line without fear and really press us for the last 20 mins.

Anyway, we did well to make it this far with a pretty average team. So well played lads. Next tournament we should be better.
  • Jfo88
    22613 posts Club Captain
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

One team went to the World Cup the other didn’t so yes, one team had a far more realistic shot than the other lol moron

Still finished last place
  • G000ner
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

This is incorrect. If we win the third place play-off then we finish third, if we lose it we finish fourth.
  • Jfo88
    22613 posts Club Captain
    G000ner wrote: »
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

This is incorrect. If we win the third place play-off then we finish third, if we lose it we finish fourth.

Mate if you ain't first your last
  • G000ner
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

We did well to finish joint last with Brazil, Spain, Germany, Belgium and the like then. Well played lads
  • finsfan85
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

We did well to finish joint last with Brazil, Spain, Germany, Belgium and the like then. Well played lads

Don’t forget Tunisia, Panama, and Saudi Arabia
  • G000ner
    Its coming home boys

Had a shot lol
    7CoXasO.gif

Don’t forget Tunisia, Panama, and Saudi Arabia

Those three have seriously over achieved this tournament
  • Adamski
    9948 posts League Winner
    fatboy85 please stop trolling
  • Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    I predicated this failure and I was ridiculed. England simply have not been anything beyond an "average" team this WC. The draw fell incredibly kindly for them and it unbelievably skewed perceptions of their true abilities.

England played Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, ColOmbia, Sweden and Croatia and won just 3 games (all against the weakest opposition) and scored just 2 goals from open play. Again, just 2 goals. That is shocking. Their golden boy Kane hasn't scored a non-penalty goal since the 1st game of the tournament, and when presented with a golden chance to score his 1st goal from open play in the entire WC he bottled it massively, twice.

England simply do not have WC pedigree. Since they won the WC back in the stones ages of football they've beaten quality WC opposition such as Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal just twice. They simply do not have the quality. The football Gods gifted them this WC with the easiest route imaginable and they bottled it in the most colossal manner. Never will they get this chance again. This is failure of the highest order.

Worst thing this England team can do is think of this as some sort of achievement. It's not. They need to still rebuild from their defeat against Iceland 2 years ago because I've seen nothing to suggest they've developed since then. Dele Alli is still awful, Kane is still impotent, Sterling is still being racial marginalized by all sides of the media, their midfield is nonexistent, their goalkeeper shouts and blames others for mistakes and their defence is suspect when tested by professional level footballers and not binmen.
  • Alex_cr
    5072 posts Big Money Move
    Rhodesia wrote: »
    I predicated this failure and I was ridiculed. England simply have not been anything beyond an "average" team this WC. The draw fell incredibly kindly for them and it unbelievably skewed perceptions of their true abilities.

England played Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, ColOmbia, Sweden and Croatia and won just 3 games (all against the weakest opposition) and scored just 2 goals from open play. Again, just 2 goals. That is shocking. Their golden boy Kane hasn't scored a non-penalty goal since the 1st game of the tournament, and when presented with a golden chance to score his 1st goal from open play in the entire WC he bottled it massively, twice.

England simply do not have WC pedigree. Since they won the WC back in the stones ages of football they've beaten quality WC opposition such as Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal just twice. They simply do not have the quality. The football Gods gifted them this WC with the easiest route imaginable and they bottled it in the most colossal manner. Never will they get this chance again. This is failure of the highest order.

Worst thing this England team can do is think of this as some sort of achievement. It's not. They need to still rebuild from their defeat against Iceland 2 years ago because I've seen nothing to suggest they've developed since then. Dele Alli is still awful, Kane is still impotent, Sterling is still being racial marginalized by all sides of the media, their midfield is nonexistent, their goalkeeper shouts and blames others for mistakes and their defence is suspect when tested by professional level footballers and not binmen.

In the same paragraph you’ve accused a nation of racial discrimination then called the Swedish team a bunch of bin men - not that’s there’s anything wrong with being a bin man. So disrespectful.
  • G000ner

You weren't ridiculed for suggesting England's performances were average. Most people would agree with that, I'm sure. However, for England "average" is a step-up from previous tournaments- a definite improvement. Whatever the draw is, making the semi-finals is an achievement for an England side, which as you've mentioned, isn't very good. No one thinks we're on the level of Germany, France or Brazil, which is why this is an achievement.
  • Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 2018
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    In the same paragraph you’ve accused a nation of racial discrimination then called the Swedish team a bunch of bin men - not that’s there’s anything wrong with being a bin man. So disrespectful.
    Actually I called Tunisia, Panama and Sweden binmen. Binmen can't play football at a professional level, hence why they're binmen. So yes there is something wrong with being a binman if you're at a WC. In the wider world it's perfectly fine.

I didn't accuse the nation of discriminating against Sterling I accused the media which is 100% accurate. Also I don't think it's rational to compare me disparaging a teams footballing ability to the media demonizing Sterling based on his race and place of birth.

You weren't ridiculed for suggesting England's performances were average. Most people would agree with that, I'm sure. However, for England "average" is a step-up from previous tournaments- a definite improvement. Whatever the draw is, making the semi-finals is an achievement for an England side, which as you've mentioned, isn't very good. No one thinks we're on the level of Germany, France or Brazil, which is why this is an achievement.

I honestly don't believe this England side would have fared better in any previous WC's and I think most England sides of the past would have done just as well or even better given this same draw.

• Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 2018
  • Alex_cr
    5072 posts Big Money Move
    Actually I called Tunisia, Panama and Sweden binmen. Binmen can't play football at a professional level, hence why they're binmen. So yes there is something wrong with being a binman if you're at a WC. In the wider world it's perfectly fine.

I didn't accuse the nation of discriminating against Sterling I accused the media which is 100% accurate. Also I don't think it's rational to compare me disparaging a teams footballing ability to the media demonizing Sterling based on his race and place of birth.

I honestly don't believe this England side would have fared better in any previous WC's and I think most England sides of the past would have done just as well or even better given this same draw.

Every single member of the Sweden and Tunisia squads are professional. We beat them, you said we were challenged by the 1st actual footballers we faced.

So in your head it’s ok to insult for one reason and not another? Not that Sterling’s race had anything to do with the undeserved criticism he received. Strange man...
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Sterling is somehow even less clinical then he was at Liverpool. (Guardiola has worked some water to wine magic to get them goals out of him last season).

Kane also really isn't that great, he's actually very limited but he'll take that golden boot with two penalties and a deflection he had no idea about with great pride.

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

Every single member of the Sweden and Tunisia squads are professional. We beat them, you said we were challenged by the 1st actual footballers we faced.

So in your head it’s ok to insult for one reason and not another? Not that Sterling’s race had anything to do with the undeserved criticism he received. Strange man...

Also the media have been overly defensive of sterling if anything.... Pundits have been praising him constantly no matter how many chances he wastes.
  • MiltFarquhar
    40 posts Last Pick at the Park

So much to pull apart here!

Congratulations on correctly predicting that England wouldn’t win the World Cup. I think you alone saw that. Everyone else in the world thought england would win it.

Sorry for the teams England came up against. The draw was entirely England’s fault. That they had the audacity to beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and a very good Colombia (on penalties) and take an excellent Croatia to extra time was just insulting on the part of the English. Sorry.

With regards to pedigree - the current England squad and manager apologise for the past failings, even though they, er, broadly weren’t involved.

Losing a semi final in extra time can indeed be described as bottling it. In no way were the squad not good enough, as you had already.... wait a minute! They either bottled it or they weren’t good enough. Which is it? You’ve argued both. I’m now confused.

Not sure who you support or what your gripe is with england but no-one cares. You sound a little small-time. Get over it. England has a bright future, just take a look at the U17s and the U21s. Sounds like someone’s a little worried.
  • Gervonta
    3818 posts National Call-Up

So much to pull apart here!

Congratulations on correctly predicting that England wouldn’t win the World Cup. I think you alone saw that. Everyone else in the world thought england would win it.

Sorry for the teams England came up against. The draw was entirely England’s fault. That they had the audacity to beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and a very good Colombia (on penalties) and take an excellent Croatia to extra time was just insulting on the part of the English. Sorry.

With regards to pedigree - the current England squad and manager apologise for the past failings, even though they, er, broadly weren’t involved.

Losing a semi final in extra time can indeed be described as bottling it. In no way were the squad not good enough, as you had already.... wait a minute! They either bottled it or they weren’t good enough. Which is it? You’ve argued both. I’m now confused.

Not sure who you support or what your gripe is with england but no-one cares. You sound a little small-time. Get over it. England has a bright future, just take a look at the U17s and the U21s. Sounds like someone’s a little worried.

Plus the fact he wants to mention goals scored from open play likes it’s against the rules to score from set pieces :lol:

people just hate to see England do well wouldn’t surprise me if he was from rival country such as Scotland or Ireland and is very very bitter his country couldn’t get as far as we were able to do.