OT: Martial Arts

ORANGEeffect05
27427 posts Player of the Year
Anyone on here practice any martial arts? Have a free trial BJJ class tonight and Muay Thai Wednesday. Always interested in learning new skills and pushing myself physically and been wanting to try some martial arts for a while now.

Comments

• ORANGEeffect05
    I remember seeing @krakos000 mention some class he was taking
  • Choepiechakie
    33891 posts National Team Captain
    Did MMA for 6 years
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    CFE73FF8-B01D-4828-863A-DAEBF0B88D0D.jpg

My favourite bit of Martial Art :lol:
  • Shane
    24161 posts Player of the Year
    edited June 2018
    Tried a lot of stuff over the past couple of years. BJJ is awesome, can be awkward at first getting used to the movements and stuff when you're new but once you get into it it's a lot of fun. Sparring is great and learning about new submissions is fascinating.

I found striking a lot easier to adapt and get into, always enjoyed it a bit more. Stuff like Muay Thai and boxing are brilliant.

I've been busy with studying and lifting but really want to get back into MMA. It's just a shame most MMA gyms where I live are pretty far away or not the greatest.
  • SherDogg
    424 posts Sunday League Hero
    GoalGiant wrote: »

lol i was thinkin the same when i saw the title. :D:D
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Did MMA for 6 years

Any specific disciplines or fully mixed?
    Shane wrote: »
    Tried a lot of stuff over the past couple of years. BJJ is awesome, can be awkward at first getting used to the movements and stuff when you're new but once you get into it it's a lot of fun. Sparring is great and learning about new submissions is fascinating.

I found striking a lot easier to adapt and get into, always enjoyed it a bit more. Stuff like Muay Thai and boxing are brilliant.

I've been busy with studying and lifting but really want to get back into MMA. It's just a shame most MMA gyms where I live are pretty far away or not the greatest.

Yea, figured i would start out by trying one striking and one grappling to see how i like them. I have a bit of wrestling background but im sure the movements will still feel pretty unnatural.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    SherDogg wrote: »

lol i was thinkin the same when i saw the title. :D:D

You're both infected by FUT :tongue:
  • CeeQue
    14928 posts Has That Special Something
    Did Muay Thai for about 1 year and loved. I started BBJ and got a better workout and more bruises doing that. For a work out BBJ is better. But Muay Thai just felt more fluid to me.

Only reason i stopped was the price. Was paying $225 a month man efff that. Did Krav Maga for a bit but the times the classes starts interfered with my work hours.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    CeeQue wrote: »
    Did Muay Thai for about 1 year and loved. I started BBJ and got a better workout and more bruises doing that. For a work out BBJ is better. But Muay Thai just felt more fluid to me.

Only reason i stopped was the price. Was paying $225 a month man efff that. Did Krav Maga for a bit but the times the classes starts interfered with my work hours.

Seems like a lot of options in my area in the evening, which suits my schedule. Quite a few are under $100/month for unlimited classes so not bad.
  • Antparry92
    20883 posts Club Captain
    CeeQue wrote: »
    I started BBJ and got a better workout and more bruises doing that. For a work out BBJ is better. But Muay Thai just felt more fluid to me.

Only reason i stopped was the price.

• ORANGEeffect05
    Don't have a regular gym membership as i prefer outdoor exercise and footy, so I'm willing to pay the price if I am enjoying it.
  • Antparry92
    20883 posts Club Captain
    edited June 2018
    I done wado awakai for a year or so which I enjoyed. Got in to it because of my ex who was 1st dan. Got expensive at £5 a session twice a week and then gradings etc.

I am tempted to get in to boxing (went for a few weeks before) for fitness for football, but not sure if I’ll be able to make the nights it’s on etc
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Always had the urge to start BJJ but haven't done so yet.

It's definitely a skill that can give you an advantage over most people whenever you have to defend yourself.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    I done wado awakai for a year or so which I enjoyed. Got in to it because of my ex who was 1st dan. Got expensive at £5 a session twice a week and then gradings etc.

I am tempted to get in to boxing (went for a few weeks before) for fitness for football, but not sure if I’ll be able to make the nights it’s one etc

With my work schedule i should be able to make most classes which is nice. The BJJ class tonight is 7:30 PM and Muay Thai at 8 PM on Wednesday.
  • Antparry92
    20883 posts Club Captain

I am tempted to get in to boxing (went for a few weeks before) for fitness for football, but not sure if I’ll be able to make the nights it’s one etc

With my work schedule i should be able to make most classes which is nice. The BJJ class tonight is 7:30 PM and Muay Thai at 8 PM on Wednesday.

It’s good if you can fit it in tbh
  • ORANGEeffect05

It’s good if you can fit it in tbh

Yea, the BJJ gym tonight is a 5 minute walk from my house but, unlike the others advertising monthly pricing, they dont have it on their site :lol:
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Santiago wrote: »
    Always had the urge to start BJJ but haven't done so yet.

It's definitely a skill that can give you an advantage over most people whenever you have to defend yourself.

I'm a lover not a fighter and will always try to diffuse any situation that could lead to an altercation. That being said, I'm quite competitive and love learning new skills to test mind/body and martial arts fits that quite well.
  • Antparry92
    20883 posts Club Captain
    Do you have any problems with joints?

I found it hindered me quite a lot with BJJ and wado
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Do you have any problems with joints?

I found it hindered me quite a lot with BJJ and wado

Not particularly, occasional numbness in my ankle i sprained a while back if i run on a hard surface but nothing other than that. Legs will be a bit tired to start tonight after 4 footy matches yesterday though :lol:
  • Antparry92
    20883 posts Club Captain
    I’ve had ops on both hips and one knee and I wasn’t able to do everything because of the stifness/structure of my hips and my impingement
  • ORANGEeffect05
    I’ve had ops on both hips and one knee and I wasn’t able to do everything because of the stifness/structure of my hips and my impingement

Makes sense with the range of motion required for some of the transitions and such. Like you said, boxing might work best for you.
  • Jfo88
    23100 posts Club Captain
    Rex Kwon Do is what I specialize in
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    Rex Kwon Do is what I specialize in

rex-kwon-do-gif-2.gif
  • JohnDoe
    12175 posts Has That Special Something

๒ﻉคપՇٱिપɭ
  • hoban95
    68591 posts Icon

My exact thinking when I read the thread title ahaha
  • ORANGEeffect05
    hoban95 wrote: »

Might have a better Martial Art after this summer transfer window :smirk:
  • hoban95
    68591 posts Icon

You supporting Chelsea now?
  • ORANGEeffect05

You supporting Chelsea now?

Never that :naughty:
  • krakos000
    18089 posts World Class
    I've done Mma for 3 years, mixed it all up, but also did muay thai and jitz separate too. After that I started capoeira and I did that for 3 years straight, hiatus for a year and just now getting back into it. I'm also on and off taking a combative knife class which is a part of a Filipino martial art called escrima or kali.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    krakos000 wrote: »
    I've done Mma for 3 years, mixed it all up, but also did muay thai and jitz separate too. After that I started capoeira and I did that for 3 years straight, hiatus for a year and just now getting back into it. I'm also on and off taking a combative knife class which is a part of a Filipino martial art called escrima or kali.

Yea thought i remembered you saying you were into a weapons based class. You done much BJJ or MT lately or sticking to Capoeira?