OT: Uni Exams

ChrisLFC
6966 posts Big Money Move
edited July 2018
How much effort does everyone here put into studying for them?
Post edited by ChrisLFC on

Comments

• HolgerBadstuber
    5211 posts Big Money Move
    Depends what year you're in
  • Shaanxz
    20124 posts Club Captain
    edited June 2018
    9fb5cf1cec677cc4c12c7869802c5a2a.pnga lot of effort, even in first year it matters if you want to do a placement
  • BO0OM
    3664 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2018
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    How much effort does everyone here put into studying for them?

I have one tomorrow that I've put no effort into studying for because of the world cup/friends parties. (I only need 40% to pass the course tbf)

I'm the type of guy that doesn't really do anything for Uni but sleep there 2 weeks before the exam :lol: i study mathmatics btw

I know a lot of people that study constantly over the whole year and don't really prepare for exams afterwards.
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    9fb5cf1cec677cc4c12c7869802c5a2a.pnga lot of effort, even in first year it matters if you want to do a placement

Beast!
  • Orison
    47092 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Depends on what you need.

I only need to pass for 4 years and then my final grades are decided by 6 exams in the space of 2 weeks.

So not much effort for a lot of exams and then one full year of studying for the last set.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Depends on the subject but on average about 10 hours.

But I study my stuff during the year aswell
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

Very nice.

How does this scoring system work? Out of a 100?
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Santiago wrote: »

Damn 10 hours a day is a fair bit, I can't stay focused or motivated that long.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Shane wrote: »

Damn 10 hours a day is a fair bit, I can't stay focused or motivated that long.

I start having trouble concentrating once I reach the last few pages of a summary.

Let's say my summary is 150 pages. It takes ages for me to properly study the last 50. Perhaps even more than the first 100 :D

Could save me a lot of time if I find a way to stay concentrated for those.
  • Shaanxz
    20124 posts Club Captain

Very nice.

How does this scoring system work? Out of a 100?

Yeah it’s out of 100

50% - 59% 2:2
    60% - 69% 2:1
    70% upwards equals first highest degree grade

I finished on 80.2 for average grade
  • hoban95
    48504 posts FIFA Cover Star
    For my under grad I would revise loads 2-3 weeks before hand. Do about 5-7 hours per day of reading and essay writing. However that wouldn't be just one exam, I'd normally have multiple.

Barely revised for post grad. My course was far more practical.
  • CR7BRUH
    3860 posts National Call-Up
    I have a 1st class honours degree in BCIT. A lot of effort is required in final year that's for sure. Pure dedication and you can enjoy FIFA later ;)
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    If I’d put no effort in them I’d expect to fail.

• Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    hoban95 wrote: »
    For my under grad I would revise loads 2-3 weeks before hand. Do about 5-7 hours per day of reading and essay writing. However that wouldn't be just one exam, I'd normally have multiple.

Barely revised for post grad. My course was far more practical.

Yeah similar for me. Flat out for a few weeks for 2 exams.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    I'll probably study 4-5 hours a day, sometimes more if it's close to an exam. Take lots of breaks so I don't get bored.
  • hoban95
    Shane wrote: »
    I'll probably study 4-5 hours a day, sometimes more if it's close to an exam. Take lots of breaks so I don't get bored.

Yeah I have terrible concentration spans. For doing essay practise I'd had to go to the library to get away from everything. :joy:
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Depends on what you study, how much you care, what marks you actually need (and whether you want to do the best possible across the study).

• Akinfenwaaaa
    4103 posts National Call-Up
    Not an awful lot, I never have done and I'm really not exam orientated which is why I've always had to rely on coursework based grades bailing me out. Actually failed one of my exams just gone, got 32/100 but they still let me continue on to the next year because of how well I done in everything coursework based. For my exams in first year I literally revised for a couple of hours the day before, got ~65 in one and just scraped a 42 in the other.

I honestly just don't have the attention span or energy required to sit there and revise for hours on end. I get distracted easily and my memory is fairly awful anyway :joy:

However, final year coming up, I NEED a 2:1 so I'll maybe be willing to put a bit more effort in. We'll see.

I'm half convinced I have ADHD or something along those lines but I've never actually been to get diagnosed or anything :lol:
  • Sercs
    18589 posts World Class
    first year, get that 40%

rest of it put effort in, spending all that money on a 2:2 isn't worth it, I was last year of the cheap fees, 9k these days is nuts!
  • ManTrain
    2981 posts National Call-Up
    I’m about to take my first exam in almost 10 years. Got my degree in 2009 and now I’m going back for another. Taking calculus having not studied it in almost 15 years.... this should go well.
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Plan is to start uni in 2 months time. Can’t pretend like I’m looking forward to it though, as others have said too I’m awful at staying focused for many hours at a time - especially when it comes to reading. Writing I can stay fairly focused if I know where I’m going with it and it’s something I’m passionate about.
  • hoban95
    Plan is to start uni in 2 months time. Can’t pretend like I’m looking forward to it though, as others have said too I’m awful at staying focused for many hours at a time - especially when it comes to reading. Writing I can stay fairly focused if I know where I’m going with it and it’s something I’m passionate about.

Surely you're excited for freshers and the rest of the night life though?
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move

accounting?? God bless, I remember taking similar courses
  • Chubbs
    14227 posts Has That Special Something
    I never studied but luckily was smart enough to not need to. Wish I would have though because instead of Bs and Cs across the board I could have had As and been better suited for grants, scholarships, law school entry, etc. Now Im pretty much stuck with a worthless degree.
  • UpstartCaesar
    3172 posts National Call-Up

30k to have some half decent night's out, the dream
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class

:p
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class

Uni is free in Denmark - in fact we get paid to go.
  • hoban95

Don't be bitter because you could never make it past the door.
  • Muzza11
    8249 posts League Winner

Surprised you got a bus to uni because they are all in Russia by the looks of things lol
  • UpstartCaesar
    3172 posts National Call-Up

It's free here too!

Defo don't be worried about the study side of it, lots of people I know came out with 'bad' degrees and have decent jobs.
  • chokosc
    2845 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finishing my 6th semester out of 7, currently studying for LL.B.

I never had the urge to sit down and study. In HS I used to just breeze through my notes and get a decent enough grade. Just didn't care about being the best so took it easy and had fun.

Same in Uni to be honest. Some courses I study more, some less but I can't sit for more than 5-7 hours (breaks inside that time) to study for an exam.

I am lucky though as I am in a program that will get me a job as a lawyer in the army so I don't have to find an internship for myself. Maybe if the grades mattered I would have tried harder but I just don't see a reason why :\