Why is it that...

VladimirSochi
585 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited June 2018
everyone that supports Messi or Ronaldo can't appreciate the greatness of the other.

I get some are Madrid fans while others are Barca fans but most of us (myself included) are neutrals. I support Liverpool and Schalke.

I think Messi is the most dangerous player with the ball at his feet that I have ever seen. I think Ronaldo is the most dangerous scorer inside the box and from set pieces I have ever seen.

I think both are two of the greatest of all time. It's a shame that half of the people overlook Ronaldo's performance today and how many will overlook Messi when he shines this tournament as well.

Isn't it more fun to appreciate the absolute brilliance you are watching before your eyes than constantly overlook it or write it off?

Comments

• BeastlyHusla
    2726 posts Fans' Favourite
    Darren Bent is better than them both.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    Ronaldo fans think Messi is incredible too and appreciate both. Messi fans are like vegans, constantly trying to force their beliefs down your neck. True story
  • VladimirSochi
    BMANUTD wrote: »
    Ronaldo fans think Messi is incredible too and appreciate both. Messi fans are like vegans, constantly trying to force their beliefs down your neck. True story

Both can be equally obnoxious. I'm saying this as an outsider. I've seen plenty of Ronaldo fans completely write of Messi's epic moments on numerous occasions
  • krappen07
    5994 posts Big Money Move

:joy: could not have been put better
  • Claret_n_blue_blood
    14243 posts Has That Special Something
    Messi v cr7 are pathetic, both are great players possibly the greatest we've ever seen in the same era, let's just enjoy them before they retire, who's with me
  • krappen07
    5994 posts Big Money Move
    Messi v cr7 are pathetic, both are great players possibly the greatest we've ever seen in the same era, let's just enjoy them before they retire, who's with me

Amen
  • VladimirSochi

Agreed
  • Momus
    1830 posts Play-Off Hero

Really? I’m a neutral and think they’re both incredible, but honestly ronaldo fans are the absolute worst
  • Retro_G
    28268 posts Player of the Year

:D
  • HelloDearie
    2240 posts Fans' Favourite

100% agree. They are both excellent. Fine, you may not like one of them, I’m not keen on Ronaldo, but is he good? Of course he ruddy is and I am happy to accept that.
    Can’t be doing with morons who say otherwise, whether that be for Messi or Ronaldo.
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    everyone that supports Messi or Ronaldo can't appreciate the greatness of the other.

I get some are Madrid fans while others are Barca fans but most of us (myself included) are neutrals. I support Liverpool and Schalke.

I think Messi is the most dangerous player with the ball at his feet that I have ever seen. I think Ronaldo is the most dangerous scorer inside the box and from set pieces I have ever seen.

I think both are two of the greatest of all time. It's a shame that half of the people overlook Ronaldo's performance today and how many will overlook Messi when he shines this tournament as well.

Isn't it more fun to appreciate the absolute brilliance you are watching before your eyes than constantly overlook it or write it off?

Liverpool AND schalke :D
  • VagisilFC
    1406 posts Play-Off Hero
    The debate bores me to tears
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional

Amen brother
  • VladimirSochi

Liverpool AND schalke :D

That's a funny statement why exactly?
  • MatteoDiBella
    501 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ronald is an amazing footballer I just hate his arrogance and his diving. Messi would have shook off that contact like it was nothing then dribbled the keeper and whoever else got in his way. When it comes to flashy dribbling Messi isn’t even on the same page of the book as Ronaldo. I don’t think that can be disputed. One on one Ronaldo will do something artistically brilliant. But he can’t take on three or four defenders at once like Messi can. Both are phenoms, but I clearly have a preference. I do enjoy watching them both, but when it comes down to style of play, Messi is just my cup of tea.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    Ronald is an amazing footballer.

He’s not a patch on the Hamburgler
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4863 posts Big Money Move
    Ronald is an amazing footballer I just hate his arrogance and his diving. Messi would have shook off that contact like it was nothing then dribbled the keeper and whoever else got in his way. When it comes to flashy dribbling Messi isn’t even on the same page of the book as Ronaldo. I don’t think that can be disputed. One on one Ronaldo will do something artistically brilliant. But he can’t take on three or four defenders at once like Messi can. Both are phenoms, but I clearly have a preference. I do enjoy watching them both, but when it comes down to style of play, Messi is just my cup of tea.

Same for me. I simply can’t stand ronaldo as a person. I appreciate his greatness, but he strikes me as horrible teammate and extremely selfish. Messi just stays quiet, keeps to himself and lets his game speak for him.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional

he strikes me as horrible teammate and extremely selfish.

It’s weird you say that, because all the ex united players love him and sir Alex said he was the best pro he’s ever coached. He’s also been named on many occasion the most charitable sports star. Messi wasn’t in the top 20.
  • Paquetesousa
    2059 posts Fans' Favourite

I'll go deeper: whoever states One is better than the other just doesn't know football at all. To me, both are the greatest players ever. Messi is the most talented player ever. Ronaldo is the most complete player ever. I just wish they never retired lol maybe this way Portugal could win the world CUP, eventually lol
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13025 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018

Literally this.

For the record, I also detest the way Messi gets preferential treatment from the powers that be. A perfect example would be when Ronaldo invaded a referees space and got a ban...yet literally a week or two later Messi shoves and has his hands all over the referee... oh but that's ok because it's Messi...pfffhhtt yeah right.

The two of them are amazing, absolutely no question. Ronaldo is definitely more egotistical, and he has every right to be imho....but Ronaldo IS a team player, a leader...

Messi strikes me as a bit of a snake tbh, the way he can pull strings at both club and country, I mean...who does he actually think he is? Anyway I'm rambling...
  • deang07
    8091 posts League Winner
    i love both , they go through stages of being better than one another because they are the goats .
    im happy i have had them both in my generation of football and imo both of thier stats will never be matched .
    im a utd fan and i really dont get the hate either one gets by the fanboys of the other lol they are both astonishing end of.
  • Diggy
    13619 posts Has That Special Something
    Maradona & Pele > both but I still enjoy both
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Sorry, I respect your views but CR7 is the most dangerous from free kicks you've ever seen? I almost choked on my morning coffee :joy:
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner

Literally this.

For the record, I also detest the way Messi gets preferential treatment from the powers that be. A perfect example would be when Ronaldo invaded a referees space and got a ban...yet literally a week or two later Messi shoves and has his hands all over the referee... oh but that's ok because it's Messi...pfffhhtt yeah right.

The two of them are amazing, absolutely no question. Ronaldo is definitely more egotistical, and he has every right to be imho....but Ronaldo IS a team player, a leader...

Messi strikes me as a bit of a snake tbh, the way he can pull strings at both club and country, I mean...who does he actually think he is? Anyway I'm rambling...

Sorry? Ronaldo is a team player????
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    And my opinion is this; they're both fantastic. But not the greatest of all time. No one can ever be considered the GOAT because they play in different generations. Like Pele in our era may have been better than both of them. We'll just never know. And also I don't like how only forwards are ever considered the greatest so meh. Like what about Zidane, why is he never in the discussion for being the goat? Its only if you're the best forward of your generation.
  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    It’s a shame that teams that play against Messi almost exclusively park the bus. I love to watch the occasions where Messi gets an open pitch to play in even if they are few and far in between. It’s a miracle he has the scoring record he does considering almost every single game he goes up against teams parking the bus.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13025 posts Has That Special Something
    AFC_95 wrote: »

Literally this.

Sorry? Ronaldo is a team player????

Yes you read that correctly, do you watch him play for Portugal? He's literally going round the team geeing everyone up constantly, giving others encouragement and *leading his National team like a captain should
  • VladimirSochi
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    Sorry, I respect your views but CR7 is the most dangerous from free kicks you've ever seen? I almost choked on my morning coffee :joy:

Sorry, prisoner of the moment when I posted that. But yes one of those players that I literally knew he would score in that moment. Everyone in the world knew he would shoot, yet still, under the pressure he scores.

For the record, I'm a team Messi guy but you have to respect them both tremendously.

Best free kick taker I've ever seen? No. But there aren't many I would rather have taking one late game with it on the line
  • Claret_n_blue_blood
    14243 posts Has That Special Something

I'll go deeper: whoever states One is better than the other just doesn't know football at all. To me, both are the greatest players ever. Messi is the most talented player ever. Ronaldo is the most complete player ever. I just wish they never retired lol maybe this way Portugal could win the world CUP, eventually lol

you got it pal
  • Donovan86
    2674 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2018