'Assisted' is the biggest problem of FIFA and no one acknowledges it

Joonlar
151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Headers. Finesse shots. Low driven shots. Lob through balls. Ground through balls. Ping pong passing. Etc etc.

Pick whatever year you want, there is always a different OP and exploitable aspect of gameplay that is present due to the overly assisted passing and shooting.

Every year the playerbase calls for nerfs to the specific assisted problem of that year, so EA nerfs it, but then another assisted exploit pops up again next year.

Why? Because by it's nature, assistance overrides player input, and essentially the game calculates on it's own how it thinks passes and shots should play out. This leads to some assisted moves having higher or lower probabilities of working then others, which then of course translates into how people play the game (finding sweet spots and abusing that same mechanism over and over).

Not only that, but it also indirectly effects other aspects of gameplay through balancing issues, ranging from defender interceptions and tackles to goalkeeper saves. For example, if you aim your pass to player there is a certain 'window size' that the assistance will try to correct for you to get the ball to travel to that player; however, the game cannot assist (or correct) that pass 100% of the time because that would be unbalanced and unrealistic, so what happens is that the game, at times, adds randomness to your passes, shots, interceptions, saves, etc, to try and 'correct' or 'add realism' to the very assistance it is working off of. This leads to scenarios that at times just feel entirely out of your control, whether it is a defender deciding not to intercept a ball, or a pass not going where it should - as I'm sure most people have experienced.

So what is the solution?

Simple - lower the levels of assistance. Make the input of player aim and power bar timing matter more, so that the player is in more control, rather than the computer assistance (or the programmers that created it).

Frankly I think assisted, as it currently functions, should be outright removed from online play. It is too overbearing and simplifies the game so much. Something around semi-assisted should be the standard.

I am not advocating for full manual as I believe that that is too difficult for the vast majority of the playerbase. However, I genuinely believe that there is a healthy middle ground to be found that would improve the experience for most people. Something around semi-assisted is not that difficult to play - 'casuals' adore shooters like Call of Duty and Fortnite which rely heavily on basically manual aiming with some aim assist. Even those games are nowhere near as dumbed down as the assisted levels in FIFA.

End.

Comments

  • RadioShaq
    15099 posts Moderator
    Shooting seems to be going in the right direction with the timed driven. It would be nice to go full manual but the comminty only seems to want defense manual which would just cause balance issues.
  • Joonlar
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited June 2018
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Shooting seems to be going in the right direction with the timed driven.

    That's very much up in the air, it could go either way of just being another abuse exploit, or something that just isn't worth using, or something in the middle.

    For example, what happens to regular shots, do they stay exactly the same? If so the issue of high assistance still remains for those. Or, if regular shots are made less consistent (but still assisted), then just nerfed it like they do for, say, through balls, depending on the year, so that's still not good, as they've just made shooting less consistent. Or, if they make regular shots more manual.. then that would be good, obviously.

    Then there's also the question of timed shot itself. If you time your button press right and hit the sweet spot how much will it increase your chances of it being a goal? If it's a lot, then people could learn that to time that single button press and again the game becomes wide open to abuse.

    I frankly don't see a way around the issue of abuse issue unless they increase the skill gap, and I'm unconvinced that the extra feature of single timed button press is enough the do that (which is why I advocate for more reliance on both timing and aiming), especially when regular, non-timed shots are still in the game and the game has to still be balanced around them.

    I'm personally very skeptical of this new timed shot feature. But I keep an open mind of course, and I'm looking forward to see it in action more to see how it performs.
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    It would be nice to go full manual but the comminty only seems to want defense manual which would just cause balance issues.

    Communities know what they want (a fun, balanced game), but they don't necessarily know how what it takes to get it, which can lead to a lot of inaccurate wants and desires. But I do think that ultimately a lot of the community would be happier if the online game had to played on semi-assisted (or something close to it).

    I agree that, in the games current state, more manual defending would cause balance issues, because currently attacking (passing) is still so assisted that the gameplay would just become lopsided.

  • RadioShaq
    15099 posts Moderator
    That’s why I say seems as it’s hard to say how it ends up in game. Also I’ve not used it to know how it is either. I am just hoping it adds something to offense.
  • CharlieC
    6697 posts Big Money Move
    I’d be happy if we started with the player I’m controlling doing what I want him to.
  • Benja190782
    1418 posts Play-Off Hero
    @Joonlar I agree 100% with you!

    Assisted controls is what makes FIFA frustrating and there will never be a true skill-gap or any true E-sports of FIFA if EA won’t lower the assists.

    Semi-assisted shooting and passing would change FIFA completely and actually make it much more fun because, not only will the physics engine come alive, the hole football experience will be far more realistic and most important... REWARDING!

    There will no longer be some ping pong passing freak to ruin the beautiful game of football.
    The really good “football players” will shine like in PES. Because it will take some actual skill to build up and score.

    On top of that. Defending is already much more manual. Why shouldn’t attacking be the same???
  • hooligan87
    240 posts Sunday League Hero
    I agree 100% with you!
  • hooligan87
    240 posts Sunday League Hero
    Tired of primitive game where the computer affects the game more than the player!
  • Henry14
    220 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I think it should all be semi assisted cause if its manual to the degree you're asking for there will no difference between a player with 89 passing and one with 79. The skill gap of the players you're using also matters.
  • Mdionne415
    1146 posts Professional
    I get what you're saying, but you're talking about a game mode that isn't FUT. The whole mode is based on making your players and team more and more "assisted" at higher and higher levels. It's like those guys who scream about the superhuman pace and strength. That is literately the point of it! Just play seasons unassisted.
  • Mdionne415
    1146 posts Professional
    Henry14 wrote: »
    I think it should all be semi assisted cause if its manual to the degree you're asking for there will no difference between a player with 89 passing and one with 79. The skill gap of the players you're using also matters.

    exactly
  • Joonlar
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited June 2018
    Henry14 wrote: »
    I think it should all be semi assisted cause if its manual to the degree you're asking for there will no difference between a player with 89 passing and one with 79. The skill gap of the players you're using also matters.

    Firstly, if you read my post then you would see that I specifically said manual should not be the standard. I think something around semi-assisted should be the standard because that offers a better balance between skill and difficulty for the majority of playerbase.

    Secondly, your point about "no difference between players on manual" is a very common misconception that is actually not accurate.

    Full manual has no assistance, but it is still stat based. Stat based means that the stats influence what you, the player, input into the game. So a poor passer is still going to have a hard time accomplishing difficult passes, such as first time quick passes, or very long passes, for example, and the game will influence your own input depending on these stats, for better or for worse. The difference between stats and assisted is that assisted overrides your input because the game it thinks it knows better than you - that's why certain passes are literally impossible on assisted (such as threading it between a specific spot of the defense), because the game will think you miss-aimed and so will direct the ball where it decides instead.

    Let me put it this way: Dribbling is full manual. You have full 360 degree control over what direction you dribble in. The stats of the player determine how well that dribble is executed, and worse players will take heavier touches, take longer to make sharp turns, etc etc. If dribbling was assisted then, for example, when you press left to move into a defender, the game would automatically turn you right instead to take you away from the defender. Now, I think we all can deduce that assisted dribbling would be awful because it takes away control from the user. Yet also for some reason, people don't feel the same way about automated/assisted passing and shooting.
  • agentxyz2
    816 posts Professional
    Joonlar wrote: »
    Henry14 wrote: »
    I think it should all be semi assisted cause if its manual to the degree you're asking for there will no difference between a player with 89 passing and one with 79. The skill gap of the players you're using also matters.

    Firstly, if you read my post then you would see that I specifically said manual should not be the standard. I think something around semi-assisted should be the standard because that offers a better balance between skill and difficulty for the majority of playerbase.

    Secondly, your point about "no difference between players on manual" is a very common misconception that is actually not accurate.

    Full manual has no assistance, but it is still stat based. Stat based means that the stats influence what you, the player, input into the game. So a poor passer is still going to have a hard time accomplishing difficult passes, such as first time quick passes, or very long passes, for example, and the game will influence your own input depending on these stats, for better or for worse. The difference between stats and assisted is that assisted overrides your input because the game it thinks it knows better than you - that's why certain passes are literally impossible on assisted (such as threading it between a specific spot of the defense), because the game will think you miss-aimed and so will direct the ball where it decides instead.

    Let me put it this way: Dribbling is full manual. You have full 360 degree control over what direction you dribble in. The stats of the player determine how well that dribble is executed, and worse players will take heavier touches, take longer to make sharp turns, etc etc. If dribbling was assisted then, for example, when you press left to move into a defender, the game would automatically turn you right instead to take you away from the defender. Now, I think we all can deduce that assisted dribbling would be awful because it takes away control from the user. Yet also for some reason, people don't feel the same way about automated/assisted passing and shooting.

    Exactly, as a skiller and someone who loves to dribble past opponents. This FIFA is nightmare because every other department has major assistance. I think Semi (at the least) for Weekend league would would be perfect. It would actually create a skill gap instead of finding who can abuse sed mechanic the best each year.
  • Joonlar wrote: »

    Agree with you, joonlar. In addition, many of the things that people complain about the game, disappear playing full manual.

    In online matches they should put what controls each player uses, this would give more visibility to the manual controls
Sign In or Register to comment.