OT - Anybody who's moved countries - Share your experience

Bowden92
6072 posts Big Money Move
I always dreamed of doing it, I've even made threads on here talking about it before (I believe Mike Pickford and Legeg contributed alot) But I'm actually now in a position where it could actually be a reality.

My life/head was a mess for a long time, I was in a job that didn't particularly require skill etc, however, I'm unbelievably happy to say my life is so much better these days, everything is good, I even totally switched up careers and started in the IT industry 4 months ago, so Ye, things are nice. I have the money for a mortgage deposit because id buy something in the UK as insurance incase I didn't get on.

I'm basically interested in hearing others stories, personally I'd love to move to Spain, always loved the country, I think once I've got some more experience in IT I'll start learning the language and who knows, maybe get somewhere with a job application.

Comments

• Azof
    16365 posts World Class
    You any claim to any other nationalities bar British?
  • BrentfordFC
    11592 posts Has That Special Something
    Yeah mert I travelled from guernsey to England :trollface:
  • Bowden92
    Azof wrote: »
    You any claim to any other nationalities bar British?

Nope.
  • Antparry92
    17530 posts World Class
    My biggest regret ever, not going for the football schloarship out in the states. Money was a massive issue and I couldn’t afford to go out there
  • Bowden92
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    My biggest regret ever, not going for the football schloarship out in the states. Money was a massive issue and I couldn’t afford to go out there

Understandable though, if you simply didn't have the money then it wasn't a viable option for you, really unfortunate though .
  • Antparry92
    17530 posts World Class
    Bowden92 wrote: »

Understandable though, if you simply didn't have the money then it wasn't a viable option for you, really unfortunate though .

Well I’d have had enough to get out there but not really live. Mainly because I’d have been on the road playing football all the time and not working. In fairness I’d have had everything paid for me, digs, food etc. It would have just been extra spends and if I ever needed a flight home for emergencies
  • Bowden92

Well I’d have had enough to get out there but not really live. Mainly because I’d have been on the road playing football all the time and not working. In fairness I’d have had everything paid for me, digs, food etc. It would have just been extra spends and if I ever needed a flight home for emergencies

Ye I know what you mean man.
  • JohnDoe
    11253 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018
    Huh, you’re British? I thought you were American, Joe. That’s one heck of a fake accent, though, let me tell you.

Anyway, I’ve been to Spain a couple of times, and I really like southern Spain. I didn’t really like the northern areas, I’ve already got awful weather for like 8 or 9 months a year where I live, so big, trendy cities like Barcelona, whilst great, aren’t my thing at all.

The South is great, though. Great people, better weather and, overall, quality of life is just better. If I moved to Spain, I’d go south, close to the Mediterranean, in some nice, calm city. There’s a few to choose from.
  • Orison
    47652 posts FIFA Cover Star
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Huh, you’re British? I thought you were American, Joe. That’s one heck of a fake accent, though, let me tell you.

Anyway, I’ve been to Spain a couple of times, and I really like southern Spain. I didn’t really like the northern areas, I’ve already got awful weather for like 8 or 9 months a year where I live, so big, trendy cities like Barcelona, whilst great, aren’t my thing at all.

The South is great, though. Great people, better weather and, overall, quality of life is just better. If I moved to Spain, I’d go south, close to the Mediterranean, in some nice, calm city. There’s a few to choose from.

Yeah, nice and friendly people, but absolutely horrible if you want to get something done :D
  • Antparry92
    17530 posts World Class

Ye I know what you mean man.

Before my kid, if I was financially stable enough I’d have 100% moved away
  • EddieFicio
    21323 posts Club Captain
    Orison wrote: »

Yeah, nice and friendly people, but absolutely horrible if you want to get something done :D

I've never seen a country so similar to SA, guess it's their fault we're so lazy :joy: .

• toonbalmy
    1671 posts Play-Off Hero
    I moved to the USA (El Paso) from Darlington :D and yeah i don't regret moving over here warm weather all year round nice pleasant people
  • Bowden92

I love Spain, i used to go on holiday alot to Alicante, which was pretty much perfect thing for me, I loved everything about it, I wouldn't be too fussed on Barcelona or Madrid because they sound abit too much hassle and bustle, I like Spanish culture and way of living, id imagine the huge cities have many many nationalities in, so wouldn't be true Spain.
  • Bowden92
    toonbalmy wrote: »
    I moved to the USA (El Paso) from Darlington :D and yeah i don't regret moving over here warm weather all year round nice pleasant people

Bloody hell, now that's a move ! I'm very much interested in the story behind that (I'm not sure if you once commented on a very old thread I made and mentioned your move, if you did I don't think you gave the background on it though.)
  • Orison
    47652 posts FIFA Cover Star
    EddieFicio wrote: »
    Orison wrote: »

I've never seen a country so similar to SA, guess it's their fault we're so lazy :joy: .

My uncle tries to move down to Malaga atm, problem is there is a clause in most house/property purchase contracts that local craftsmen build/fix your house and after seeing how they build houses and go about timeframes and stuff in general he now refuses. He wants a German company to build his house no matter what it costs :joy:
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    12+ years back … Packed very little up & moved the family from SA to NZ. I can truly say I had almost a perfect job there - "hero status" & paid incredibly well. Landing this side, felt like I was just married again - only catch was that this was with 3 kids now. Only knew 1 couple - and that was from work back in SA. Was tough, but incredibly rewarding.

Our landing was pretty smooth though - thankfully! Rented a fully furnished house with all the mod cons & even got to know the owner - ended up buying the entire household contents (for a fraction of the price) when she sold the house. That helped us tremendously getting started up without getting into debt - moving the family cost mega bucks!

My comments …

Ofc moving a family is quite different to an individual. If it's an individual-only move, you have flexibility to slum it & save. Family man … make sure that relationship with your wife/partner is strong! A move like this will put strain on it - that's a guarantee. Had a mate move 6 months after us - his wife had landed 2 months earlier. The moment they got their PR, she filed for divorce.

I guess you look at your own reasons for doing it - better job, better quality of life, different experience (personal and professional), etc.
  • Longers84
    93 posts Park Captain
    I moved from Leeds to Amsterdam and then 5 years later onto the US (Oregon) both times it were driven by work. Met my now wife here and have two young boys. I don't regret it at all, we go back home (Leeds) a couple times a year. Feel free to PM me if you want some more information about my experiences in a country where English is and isn't the local language.

Cheers.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    12+ years back … Packed very little up & moved the family from SA to NZ. I can truly say I had almost a perfect job there - "hero status" & paid incredibly well. Landing this side, felt like I was just married again - only catch was that this was with 3 kids now. Only knew 1 couple - and that was from work back in SA. Was tough, but incredibly rewarding.

Our landing was pretty smooth though - thankfully! Rented a fully furnished house with all the mod cons & even got to know the owner - ended up buying the entire household contents (for a fraction of the price) when she sold the house. That helped us tremendously getting started up without getting into debt - moving the family cost mega bucks!

My comments …

Ofc moving a family is quite different to an individual. If it's an individual-only move, you have flexibility to slum it & save. Family man … make sure that relationship with your wife/partner is strong! A move like this will put strain on it - that's a guarantee. Had a mate move 6 months after us - his wife had landed 2 months earlier. The moment they got their PR, she filed for divorce.

I guess you look at your own reasons for doing it - better job, better quality of life, different experience (personal and professional), etc.

Appreciate your input, this is why I made the thread, for people's stories like that. It is an individual btw, no dependants, I'm 25.

Yes I do have my reasons aswell, it's not just simply "Moving because the weather's nice" kinda mentality, these thoughts have been with me for years and get stronger the older I get. But I have many reasons, and, loving the lifestyle in Spain just fits and suits me perfectly.

Good to hear your story man :)

Edit - So do you actually still live in NZ now then ?
  • Bowden92
    Longers84 wrote: »
    I moved from Leeds to Amsterdam and then 5 years later onto the US (Oregon) both times it were driven by work. Met my now wife here and have two young boys. I don't regret it at all, we go back home (Leeds) a couple times a year. Feel free to PM me if you want some more information about my experiences in a country where English is and isn't the local language.

Cheers.

Thanks man really appreciate the offer for a PM, you're not too far from me either (Your hometown ;)) I'm from Sheffield. Your story sounds really interesting though, the US is unreal, such a good country in many ways imo, what do you do for work ? Just sounds interesting you getting offers in those areas.
  • P
    7504 posts League Winner
    edited June 2018
    I moved from Northern Ireland to Toronto to Detroit to NYC to Calgary to Toronto to NI to Scotland to Toronto to NI. With some time in Amsterdam and England as well :joy: seriously deliberating going back to Canada ATM. I have a dual citizenship so it's no hassle it'd just be by myself this time and it's been a few years.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    P wrote: »
    I moved from Northern Ireland to Toronto to Detroit to NYC to Calgary to Toronto to NI to Scotland to Toronto to NI. With some time in Amsterdam and England as well :joy: seriously deliberating going back to Canada ATM. I have a dual citizenship so it's no hassle it'd just be by myself this time and it's been a few years.

What the :o Haha, seriously !? That's crazy man, I'm guessing you spent a long time in Canada then to have citizenship ? You was in a relationship I take it there before ? Do it man ! I'd be off in a flash if I could just go like that, id love a nice route like that to move away.
  • Killashaw
    1216 posts Professional
    I'm moving from Amsterdam to England next year for study. Not permanent but still stoked about it and if I have a good time there I might actually look for a job their (International business law)
  • Bowden92
    Killashaw wrote: »
    I'm moving from Amsterdam to England next year for study. Not permanent but still stoked about it and if I have a good time there I might actually look for a job their (International business law)

Good luck to you man :) Where abouts you moving to ?
  • Killashaw
    1216 posts Professional
    Killashaw wrote: »

Good luck to you man :) Where abouts you moving to ?

Sheffield!
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move

My comments …

Appreciate your input, this is why I made the thread, for people's stories like that. It is an individual btw, no dependants, I'm 25.

Yes I do have my reasons aswell, it's not just simply "Moving because the weather's nice" kinda mentality, these thoughts have been with me for years and get stronger the older I get. But I have many reasons, and, loving the lifestyle in Spain just fits and suits me perfectly.

Good on you, mate. Enjoy that!

Yep … in NZ and wouldn't trade it for anything! Spent 3 months in Aussie - with the family & whilst it was decent, nothing compares to NZ for me (spent a fair amount of time in other countries too).

That mate - married an American lady he met here. He's now in the US (2.5 years) after being in NZ for 9 years. As much as there are really great things about the US (purchasing power is simply ridiculous), he'd swap it again for NZ in a heartbeat.

It's not cheap here. If you look past that, it's an incredible country to call home.
  • Bowden92

My comments …

Good on you, mate. Enjoy that!

Yep … in NZ and wouldn't trade it for anything! Spent 3 months in Aussie - with the family & whilst it was decent, nothing compares to NZ for me (spent a fair amount of time in other countries too).

That mate - married an American lady he met here. He's now in the US (2.5 years) after being in NZ for 9 years. As much as there are really great things about the US (purchasing power is simply ridiculous), he'd swap it again for NZ in a heartbeat.

It's not cheap here. If you look past that, it's an incredible country to call home.

Glad to hear you've truly got your life settled there man :) Nice story, you sound like you've got an interesting life to say the least.

That's it, everybody is different and into different things, I think if you find "Home" then why bother changing, being part of a different country/culture and being able to live your life happily there is amazing if you ask me.
  • P
    7504 posts League Winner

What the :o Haha, seriously !? That's crazy man, I'm guessing you spent a long time in Canada then to have citizenship ? You was in a relationship I take it there before ? Do it man ! I'd be off in a flash if I could just go like that, id love a nice route like that to move away.

Yeah some of it was when I was kid. Like I was 10 I think when I first moved to Canada, took the citizenship test as soon as I could, think it might of been after 5 years or something. It sounds alot but some was for like school and work. Only thing really putting me off Canada is the winters. Like you, Spain sounds very appealing to me. I actually work with a Spanish woman and I could talk to her all day :joy: the accent is great.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    I'm in the middle of the K1 Visa process as my fiance is American so this thread is interesting!

Leaving everything behind won't be too nice though.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018

Yeah some of it was when I was kid. Like I was 10 I think when I first moved to Canada, took the citizenship test as soon as I could, think it might of been after 5 years or something. It sounds alot but some was for like school and work. Only thing really putting me off Canada is the winters. Like you, Spain sounds very appealing to me. I actually work with a Spanish woman and I could talk to her all day :joy: the accent is great.

Ye man im not a fan of the brutal winters they'd have in Canada haha, Ye Spain is perfect for me man, everything about the place is something that appeals to me. Don't blame you for getting citizenship asap though.

Ye the Spanish accent is great too ;)
  • Bowden92
    TwoZebras wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of the K1 Visa process as my fiance is American so this thread is interesting!

Leaving everything behind won't be too nice though.

Just try and focus on your new exciting life mate :) It will be amazing.