Anybody still prefer using icons over TOTS ?

Bowden92
6072 posts Big Money Move
Thoughts ?

Some tots cards are really good, but they're really boring and all feel kinda the same, whereas icons all feel and seem quite individual. Curious to hear people's opinions.

Comments

• Oliver Powell
    1789 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited June 2018
    only tots better than icon card is telles
  • uhMaZiiNq
    11278 posts Has That Special Something
    Yeah just got 88 Vieira for the first time and 87 ADP back. Likes of Lozano and promes are good but like you said they are kinda the same.
  • Finesse_4days
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2018
    i dont want to sound a **** but you obviously haven't used tots son ,dybala or Ronaldo then who are all better than pretty much every icon you can get There are a lot of tots cards better than icons, but there a few icons like maldini,vieira and gullit that are still better than all the tots cards in their positions.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    Yeah just got 88 Vieira for the first time and 87 ADP back. Likes of Lozano and promes are good but like you said they are kinda the same.

Exactly, you look through the list of tots and most of their stats are just the same, whereas most icons just look unique.
  • Hibee
    11848 posts Has That Special Something
    Yeah massively. Just way more fun for me personally using the likes of Maradona, Rijkaard, Van Basten etc than souped up versions of players I have no interest in irl.
  • uhMaZiiNq
    11278 posts Has That Special Something
    you obviously haven't used tots son ,dybala or Ronaldo then who are all better than pretty much every icon you can get,

Oddly enough Dybala and Son are some of the only tots cards remaining on my team besides De Ligt and Pjanic
  • Knowlesdinho
    10089 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018
    I use a mix. Prime Kluivert, Prime Zanetti and 87 ADP. The rest are tots.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    you obviously haven't used tots son ,dybala or Ronaldo then who are all better than pretty much every icon you can get,

Ye, I should say, the likes of Ron and Neymar etc are "Better", there are a few that really are good, however, compare, say, Bats vs Henry, Mitchi has better stats, but who would you prefer using, or maybe Dinho vs Sane, on stats Sane wins, but who would you rather use.
  • Orison
    47601 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Icons in half the positions, TOTS in the other half.

They barely compete with each other, because each category is unrivalled in their positions.

TOTS fullbacks for example are miles ahead of any icon, but in exchange Vieira and Ruud are also irreplaceable.
  • Finesse_4days
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    Bowden92 wrote: »

Ye, I should say, the likes of Ron and Neymar etc are "Better", there are a few that really are good, however, compare, say, Bats vs Henry, Mitchi has better stats, but who would you prefer using, or maybe Dinho vs Sane, on stats Sane wins, but who would you rather use.
    icons play above their stats i agree, especially 87 desailly and 88 vieira.
  • Bowden92
    I considered a second team of tots players but I'd just didn't feel right, staring at a starting line up with Lozano, Arias, Promes and De Ligt in, I've never even seen a single minute of them on TV. Whereas you put some cheaper primes together like Blanc, Crespo, Berg etc, they'd probably not play as well but I think they're more fun and unique.
  • Bowden92
    If I bought all the interesting icons, there would still be some tots I'd keep, like full backs for one, I'm just thinking I might go 90% icon for the remainder of the game, I've got TOTS like Suarez and Aguero plus about 7 more and I don't even use them, I'd probably just keep Neymar and Walker.
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move
    Larsson >
  • Bowden92
    Larsson >

You used many tots strikers ?
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4183 posts National Call-Up
    Tots higuain has surprised me a lot. Also Bailey and pjanic. Besides a few others that have been named I've kept my big icons in my team.
  • DougInskip
    6281 posts League Winner
    I’m probably in the minority here but I prefer prime Dinho to tots Ney
  • JohnDoe
    11250 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018
    I considered a second team of tots players but I'd just didn't feel right, staring at a starting line up with Lozano, Arias, Promes and De Ligt in, I've never even seen a single minute of them on TV. Whereas you put some cheaper primes together like Blanc, Crespo, Berg etc, they'd probably not play as well but I think they're more fun and unique.

I didn’t watch a minute of most icon players back when they were playing, yet I still use a couple of them. Also, I watch a plenty of leagues, and happen to have watched players like Lozano, Promes or De Ligt (the latter played a EL final, as someone who cares deeply about RL football, it surprises me you missed that), even if not regularly.

Regarding your player comparisons, Henry isn’t the same type of player as Batshuayi, so it’s hard to compare them, but I think I’d still go for TOTS Bats, in the midst of plenty of great TOTS and a couple of icons, he still manages to shine. He has the best G2G ratio in my entire club. And about Dinho vs Sane, Sane all the way.
  • P
    7502 posts League Winner
    R9, gullit, Vieira and maldini.
  • Diggy
    13616 posts Has That Special Something
    I did prime Lothar & prime Ronaldinho SBCs yesterday

Tried a few TOTS they are great an all but icons are more fun, untradeable TOTS Salah sits on the bench & gets the odd run out
  • WildaF3niX
    2069 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gullit, Maldini, Vieira are class above tots. Didnt use r9. Only stand out tots card are CR, Suarez, Messi. Yet to try Telles. But Son is bang average compared to CR...
  • Bowden92
    JohnDoe wrote: »

I didn’t watch a minute of most icon players back when they were playing, yet I still use a couple of them. Also, I watch a plenty of leagues, and happen to have watched players like Lozano, Promes or De Ligt (the latter played a EL final, as someone who cares deeply about RL football, it surprises me you missed that), even if not regularly.

Regarding your player comparisons, Henry isn’t the same type of player as Batshuayi, so it’s hard to compare them, but I think I’d still go for TOTS Bats, in the midst of plenty of great TOTS and a couple of icons, he still manages to shine. He has the best G2G ratio in my entire club. And about Dinho vs Sane, Sane all the way.

You missed the point I was making with the comparisons ?

Who says I care deeply about football :D I enjoy the sport and watch matches, wouldn't say I care deeply pal.
  • Bowden92
    P wrote: »
    R9, gullit, Vieira and maldini.

Have those untradeable
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    Diggy wrote: »
    I did prime Lothar & prime Ronaldinho SBCs yesterday

Tried a few TOTS they are great an all but icons are more fun, untradeable TOTS Salah sits on the bench & gets the odd run out

I'm really tempted to do those 2 aswell, along with Pele and Mara, then sell up my tots for some of those positions.

Some tots are good, but don't feel all that fun for me, like you say.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    3963 posts National Call-Up
    ive mixed up league sbc de bruyne with tots walker Robertson sane eriksen..then threw in 3 primes schmeichel costa and crespo after the crash..finished off by buying 86 gullit
    tots are great to use but playing with gullit for the first time ever is off the scale :D
  • Bowden92
    ive mixed up league sbc de bruyne with tots walker Robertson sane eriksen..then threw in 3 primes schmeichel costa and crespo after the crash..finished off by buying 86 gullit
    tots are great to use but playing with gullit for the first time ever is off the scale :D

Agreed, thought the same after using the prime. How's Crespo ?
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Yep! My team is mostly icons but I’m now tempted to sell the TOTS cards I have to buy more icons.
  • Bowden92
    Yep! My team is mostly icons but I’m now tempted to sell the TOTS cards I have to buy more icons.

Do it ! :* I might follow shortly after
  • Hibee
    Only recently I bought Hagi again to play CAM in one of my teams. Now obviously there are way better options for that price. But it’s Hagi man. Hagi or a steroided up Fekir (who he replaced), that’s a no brainier for me.
  • Bowden92
    Hibee wrote: »
    Only recently I bought Hagi again to play CAM in one of my teams. Now obviously there are way better options for that price. But it’s Hagi man. Hagi or a steroided up Fekir (who he replaced), that’s a no brainier for me.

Well, that's kinda the thing for me, for all out win at all costs, Fekir would get the nod, but using some of these icons just feels better, plus sometimes playing with icons you can try and replicate how they played etc rather than try and plough through teams with all tots with 85 + pace and strength.
  • Hibee
    Hibee wrote: »

Well, that's kinda the thing for me, for all out win at all costs, Fekir would get the nod, but using some of these icons just feels better, plus sometimes playing with icons you can try and replicate how they played etc rather than try and plough through teams with all tots with 85 + pace and strength.

This is how I use them as well. Charging through the midfield with Matthaus, dribbling past player after player with Maradona, trying ridiculous angled shots with Van Basten. Always try and do things the player used to do.