World Cup mode what's the point?

Thunder001
820 posts Semi-Pro
Decided to give World Cup a go. What's the point?

Came up against 4 icons in my first game, 5 in my second and 7 (Seven) in my last. Didn't qualify for the knockout stages needless to say.

Comments

• Paquetesousa
    2347 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well, if you only arrived now, you'll be in for a hard time... Everyone is rocking almost full icon teams. If you like the game, just play some more and you'll be able to get some icons yourself. If not, just let it be. You're not missing anything special anyway... Lol
  • Andyh60
    1253 posts Professional
    Well, if you only arrived now, you'll be in for a hard time... Everyone is rocking almost full icon teams. If you like the game, just play some more and you'll be able to get some icons yourself. If not, just let it be. You're not missing anything special anyway... Lol

But then he's arrived before the world cup has even started so hardly late, just poor from ea again really really poor.
  • Numlocked_
    2307 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's world cup mode, not icon mode. EA have totally dropped the ball with this one. World Cup mode is completely ruined before World Cup even started...
  • Boommaametw3
    3733 posts National Call-Up
    You only need an 83 rated team for an icon. Not hard to get
  • pekkaa88
    7267 posts Big Money Move
    Well people have been crying all year how p2w this game is and how you cant get good players if you dont buy tons of fifa points.. Now that everyone gets tons of icons easily, people are crying again..

What a surprise
  • BeerBelly
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    pekkaa88 wrote: »
    Well people have been crying all year how p2w this game is and how you cant get good players if you dont buy tons of fifa points.. Now that everyone gets tons of icons easily, people are crying again..

What a surprise

They only want to complain. I bet when they were infants, they complained with their mum’s milk for having a salty taste
  • MPL4
    1806 posts Fans' Favourite

What a surprise

I think the issue, for me, is that having ELITE players should be earned by playing. How should it be possible to not play a single game but have a stacked team? I'm in alot of posts begging for the store and market to be scrapped and to be awarded for playing games, promotions, etc.
  • BarrowUnited
    1059 posts Professional

What a surprise

Lol exactly this. This community is a joke
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    MPL4 wrote: »

What a surprise

I think the issue, for me, is that having ELITE players should be earned by playing. How should it be possible to not play a single game but have a stacked team? I'm in alot of posts begging for the store and market to be scrapped and to be awarded for playing games, promotions, etc.

But even then. All the pros will be rocking the top players while us scrubs battle all year to get top players. Fortnite has it right I belive. Everyone can get to tier 100 at some stage and unlock all the skins available. Don't wanna use fortnite as an example but hey. Play a thousand games you unlock ronaldo. Score 750 goals you get a choice between, a dybala, Messi or aguero for instance. Every card must be like a otw as well. But hey Where's the money for ea then. So I dunno.
  • Mmandras
    5158 posts Big Money Move
    There is huge middle ground between absolute trash in packs from FUT and everybody rocking full icon teams in WC.

Pack weight was perfect for WC, but those icons just ruined it. It's still fun to play with icons, don't get me wrong, I was unlucky to pack Moore in the first SBC. But so does everybody else.

And it's just not that they made icons so incredibly affordable, this was supposed to be all about player upgrades in the WC. Would they be better than R9, Pele, Maradonna? Not a chance, unless you pack Messi, R7 or Neymar.
  • Baners
    10320 posts Has That Special Something

What a surprise

Because it is not the icon mode lol. Not hard to understand the issue
  • lad33
    402 posts Sunday League Hero
    Baners wrote: »

What a surprise

Because it is not the icon mode lol. Not hard to understand the issue

It seems to many, it really is difficult to understand!

Mind. Blown.
  • lad33
    402 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 2018

What a surprise

A.) You've missed the point many are making. It's meant to be WORLD CUP mode.
    B.) It's not easy to get tons of icons, unless 1) you migrate loads of coins from the regular game or 2) spend on FP to open loads of packs.

Ok, it's relatively easy to get icons in this mode compared to regular FUT but the principles are still either you spend money for FP or use loads of coins to get enough high rated players or duplicates to constantly recycle into icon packs.

Anyone with a low coin balance and/or have just dropped into World Cup mode to hopefully play a world cup related mode is not going to get lots of icons.

• RadioShaq
    17874 posts Moderator
    It’s not like regular fut where it would take you all year of trading and playing to catch up. You can have the same team in a week of just playing.
  • jonkero
    7221 posts Big Money Move
    Played instead of weekend league this weekend. Won at least 100k coins which weekend league wouldn't have given me. That's what I'm using it for
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    jonkero wrote: »
    Played instead of weekend league this weekend. Won at least 100k coins which weekend league wouldn't have given me. That's what I'm using it for

Are you saving the coin? I keep putting all the coins I win back into packs. :D
  • jonkero
    7221 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2018
    Retro_G wrote: »
    jonkero wrote: »

Are you saving the coin? I keep putting all the coins I win back into packs. :D

Nahhhhhhh my squad can't get any improvements except Pele and Matthaeus. Just keep doing the icon sbc until I get them ;)

I'll save the coins for the last Fut promos this year (futties and hopefully they do something with the world cup)
  • Thunder001
    820 posts Semi-Pro
    Played another qualifying group of 4 icons, 8 (eight) icons and 2 icons. My teams not even 83 rated yet so I can't even upgrade to 1 icon. This mode is just not meant for the casual.
  • Ha88san
    630 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Personally I haven't played online yet but building my team up atm. I'm quite enjoying to be able to use icons and building a team. So maybe build teams first and play offline then go online. That's what I'll be doing
  • CharlieC
    7425 posts League Winner
    Thunder001 wrote: »
    Played another qualifying group of 4 icons, 8 (eight) icons and 2 icons. My teams not even 83 rated yet so I can't even upgrade to 1 icon. This mode is just not meant for the casual.

You'd have to be seriously casual for this mode not to be meant for you. Its got high pack weights and good rewards with easy upgrade sbc's. I'm not sure how they can make it much easier?
  • Thunder001
    820 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 2018
    The pack weight maybe great, but to get 1 icon I need to play 11 games to get the players to go into the SBC. 11 games against teams that are overloaded with icons, it's just not fun. That is the point after all. Seasons it is for me.
  • Angy
    2746 posts Fans' Favourite
    All this crying....nothing's gonna change...live with it
  • CharlieC
    7425 posts League Winner
    The pack weight maybe great, but to get 1 icon I need to play 11 games to get the players to go into the SBC. 11 games against teams that are overloaded with icons, it's just not fun. That is the point after all. Seasons it is for me.

The plentiful ICONS have ruined the mode unfortunately.
  • Wi1son73
    3624 posts National Call-Up
    I agree with icons ruining the whole WC mode, plus players getting upgrades etc..

I quite like playing with icons as I’ve never had that chance to experienced playing with the Maradona’s pele etc...
    it’s like someone in a Porsche asking someone who has a mini for a race (before icon sbc)
    Now it’s Porsche against Porsche! Best player wins...

Guess it’s no different than everyone playing the same teams and formations in normal FUT. 4321/41212(2)
    bakayoko/Jesus/Vardy/son/Baillie/Valencia/walker/rose...
    Now it’s all TOTS players...
  • selb
    7393 posts League Winner
    It amazes me that people are always moaning about something, regular FUT - 'it's pay to win, I can't win any games in WL coz people have such great teams', 'I want all these great players and have a god squad but I'm not gonna put any effort into it at all', 'pack weights are so bad, I'm not even pulling an 83 rated player!'. WC mode - 'I can't win coz everyone has all these Icon players that I can also have, it's so unfair', 'pack weights are too good, I now have a god squad and it's boring, WC mode is dead' etc.

Fact is, people will always find something to complain about.
  • Wi1son73
    3624 posts National Call-Up
    I only play with 3 of my icons... rest is my squad that I’m happy with! Dybala gets a game over icons.. okocha is pants!!
    Sterling Kante pogba gets a start over okocha and costa...
    it’s nice to play with Maradona though ! Love him
  • RayS
    34074 posts World Cup Winner
    Well
  • Batman442
    5737 posts Big Money Move

Came up against 4 icons in my first game, 5 in my second and 7 (Seven) in my last. Didn't qualify for the knockout stages needless to say.

Get some FP to catch up
  • Solari
    2043 posts Fans' Favourite
    Icon mode for now but other players will get upgraded throughout WC. Will be a lot more variety after tomorrow
  • Thunder001
    820 posts Semi-Pro
    Batman442 wrote: »

Get some FP to catch up

I'll give that a pass too. Just enjoying the real football.