A Kingdom United

Comments

• Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    I suggest everyone predicts the rest of the last 16 matches now as I'll randomly post all the updates when I get time in the next couple of days.

Portugal v Russia
    Scotland v France
    Brazil v Mexico
    England v Colombia
    Northern Ireland v Serbia
    Poland v Belgium

This story is essentially close to what I've started. I decided to do a virtual qualifying-series with the teams in the World Cup expansion and see who'd get to the World Cup. So I'm keen to see if one of the British countries can qualify.

As for this story, Wales getting the better of Argentina in a fashion similar to France in real life gives it actually some credibility...

Ah sounds interesting. How are you getting on?

I only go for credibility. Hence why my last WC story in 2014 involved winning it with Nepal. :)
  • Danimal5981
    2536 posts Fans' Favourite
    Portugal, France, Brazil, Colombia, Serbia and Poland.
    That last one based on preference, not expectation :wink:
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator

Wow, talk about a lack of faith in me. :cry:
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Portugal v Russia - Portugal
    Scotland v France - Scotland
    Brazil v Mexico - Brazil
    England v Colombia - England
    Northern Ireland v Serbia - N. Ireland
    Poland v Belgium - Belgium
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Portugal v Russia: Russia
    Scotland v France: France
    Brazil v Mexico: Brazil
    England v Colombia: England
    Northern Ireland v Serbia: NIR
    Poland v Belgium: Belgium
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Portugal v Russia - Portugal
    Scotland v France - France
    Brazil v Mexico - Brazil
    England v Colombia - England (On Penalties :wink: )
    Northern Ireland v Serbia - N. Ireland
    Poland v Belgium - Belgium
  • Danimal5981
    Alastair wrote: »

Wow, talk about a lack of faith in me. :cry:

Extra motivation to prove me wrong then :wink:
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Greatest Football Team Shock France To Earn Quarter Final Spot

Sunday 1st July 2018

"We'll really shake them up when we win the World Cup 'cause Scotland is the greatest football team" were the lyrics being sung from the stands in Nizhny Novgorod as Scotland surprised Euro 2016 Runners Up France. The 1978 World Cup song has become popular again in Scotland as fans start to dream of World Cup glory. Elsewhere on the 16th day of competition, hosts Russia were eliminated from the World Cup.

Match 51: Portugal v Russia
    Round of Sixteen
    mvxwPq0.png

Hosts Russia were dumped out of the World Cup by Portugal. The Euro 2016 Winners controlled the match from start to finish and were unlucky to only score three goals.
    PrYjc6M.png

Match 52: Scotland v France
    Round of Sixteen
    HsAyOs0.png

Scotland were on the back foot for most of their Round of Sixteen tie against France but still managed to emerge as victors. The game's only goal came with just twelve minutes to play after Jason Cummings curled in from outside the box. Matt Richie's corner failed to beat the first man as Samuel Umtiti headed clear at the front post. His headed clearance fell to Jason Cummings twenty-five yards out. After controlling it the Nottingham Forest striker finessed the ball into the bottom corner of Lloris' net. The unsighted goalkeeper saw the ball late and couldn't get down in time to save the shot.

Scotland parked the buss for the final ten minutes and despite intense French pressure held out for a famous victory. Scotland will play Portugal in the Quarter Finals knowing they are only one hundred and eighty minutes from a first World Cup Final.
    5CqOJEL.png

dcNUomw.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Brazil v Mexico
    England v Colombia
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Damn got it all wrong though. This WC certainly isn't one for germans :D
  • Danimal5981
    Welcome to the twilight zone: Scotland beating France and I am the Eggman, ku-ku-ka-chu...
  • subpop
    I can see the all British semifinal... let's be honest, for the non-British, this would be a pain. Eurexit!! :D:p
  • ElMarcos
    322 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great Brittan for world domination.
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Damn got it all wrong though. This WC certainly isn't one for germans :D

Now you know how we’ve felt every year for the last half century. :joy:

Welcome to the twilight zone: Scotland beating France and I am the Eggman, ku-ku-ka-chu...

:joy:

subpop wrote: »
    I can see the all British semifinal... let's be honest, for the non-British, this would be a pain. Eurexit!! :D:p

That would be a dream. :)

ElMarcos wrote: »
    Great Brittan for world domination.

That sounds like a great plan. :)
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    I had a load of updates planned for you yesterday but my day had an unexpected ending. Went out to watch the World Cup at like midday and didn’t get home till the early hours after getting a bit carried away with being World Cup Semi Finalists. So apologies for falling behind with the updates but blame Gareth Southgate. :)
  • Danimal5981
    ... but blame Gareth Southgate. :)

• Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    ... but blame Gareth Southgate. :)

:joy:

That miss will definitely benefit us in the long run. What he learnt from that is being used now to our benefit.
  • JoshDFC
    It's coming home ;)
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    England March On Into Quarter Finals

Monday 2nd July 2018

Brazil and England today set up a World Cup Quarter Final tie with each other after both sides won their Round of Sixteen matches. Brazil comfortably beat Mexico whilst England were taken to extra time by Colombia.
    Match 53: Brazil v Mexico
    Round of Sixteen
    yAhy2Zn.png

Brazil outclassed 2026 co-hosts Mexico as the five time winners booked their space in the Quarter Finals. One goal each from Jesus, Hulk and Marcelo made the difference as Brazil ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.
    tPVMHZh.png

Match 54: England v Colombia
    Round of Sixteen
    OfDtGQU.png

Despite being the better team for most of the game, England were unable to break the deadlock with Colombia in the first ninety minutes. On the stroke of half time in extra time Raheem Sterling thought he'd put England ahead. Rashford spotted Sterling's run and played a through ball to the Manchester City player who calmly curled into the net. However, whilst Sterling was celebrating his first England goal in 998 days, VAR ruled the goal out for offside. Just two minutes after the restart England were ahead as Marcus Rashford bagged his third goal of the World Cup. Dele Alli picked out Rashford who fired home from the edge of the box. 1-0 was how the match finished as England won their first knockout game for twelve years.
    YGRXgKe.png

rZC8mxL.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Northern Ireland v Serbia
    Poland v Belgium
  • subpop
    Easy for Brazil and more difficult than I expected for England that had to sweat blood to advance. No surprises here.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Wow certainly a thriller though. Probably not the easiest game to watch for the fans in England. But the ticket for the next round in the pocket is what counts.
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Easy for Brazil and more difficult than I expected for England that had to sweat blood to advance. No surprises here.

That was a tough match. Colombia were a lot stronger than I expected but at least they couldn't shoot. :joy:

Wow certainly a thriller though. Probably not the easiest game to watch for the fans in England. But the ticket for the next round in the pocket is what counts.

The win is definitely what matters. The next round won't be easy though. :grimace:
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Northern Ireland Into Quarters To Equal National Record

Tuesday 3rd July 2018

Northern Ireland defeated Serbia in a high scoring match to book their place in their second ever World Cup Quarter Final. In 1958 Northern Ireland faced France in the Quarter Finals but sixty years on they'll play Belgium who today defeated Poland.
    Match 55: Northern Ireland v Serbia
    Round of Sixteen
    0aXKoPR.png

Northern Ireland won an eight goal thriller to secure their spot in a first Quarter Final for sixty years.

An unmarked Steven Davis volleyed into the top corner from eight yards out to put Northern Ireland ahead after seventeen minutes. Zivkovic levelled up the fame just eight minutes later after some poor Northern Ireland defending.

Kyle Lafferty and George Saville (twice) both scored before the break to ensure Northern Ireland went in to the break with a three goal lead. Saville's second goal will be a contender for goal of the tournament. Steven Davis's corner was cleared back out to the wing and Davis quickly passed the ball to Saville outside the box. The English born midfielder shot first time from thirty yards and saw the ball fly into the top right corner of the net.

Lafferty set up Davis to tap home at the back post just five minutes after the restart. With a four goal lead and a place in the Quarter Finals looking secure, Northern Ireland took their foot off the peddle and saved energy for the next round.

Serbia pilled on the pressure and started to make the Northern Irish fans sweat a little. However, Serbia could only score two goals leaving Northern Ireland to qualify for the Quarter Finals.
    IFjcIya.png

n2tvGoZ.png

Match 56: Poland v Belgium
    Round of Sixteen
    nVu2woU.png

Belgium left it late to beat Poland as the 'Golden Generation' aim to live up to the nation's expectations. They'll need to beat Northern Ireland in the next round if they are to do that.
    KtlcEix.png

• Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Home Nations March On Into Quarter Finals

Wednesday 4th July 2018
    Xo7v8WX.png

Thirty-Four goals were scored in the eight Round of Sixteen matches at their year's FIFA World Cup. Fourteen of those came in one Quarter as Uruguay and Wales set up a Quarter Final clash in Nizhny Novgorod. The winner of that match will face Brazil or England who meet in Kazan.

One finalist is guaranteed to be European and could be a home nation. On Saturday Northern Ireland and Belgium will meet in Sochi before Portugal and Scotland face each other in Samara.

Quarter Final Matches
    Uruguay v Wales
    Brazil v England
    Northern Ireland v Belgium
    Portugal v Scotland
  • Wyojasond
    15076 posts World Class
    edited July 2018
    Holy bejezus. Trying to get caught up and it’s crazy how much this story is lining up with real life. That Wales/Argentina game was nuts. One of those you will always flash back to when playing
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Wow interesting matchups. After defeating France Scotland does have a good chance against Portugal. Wales does also have good chances after beating Argentina in one of the greatest games in WC history.
    England and especially NIR will need sublime days. Wow so close to get the Great Britain only semi finals...

I will go for the following:
    Uruguay v Wales: Wales win
    Brazil v England: England win
    Northern Ireland v Belgium: Belgium win (despite the fact NIR defeated a big opponent with Germany already I see a narrow win for Belgium here)
    Portugal v Scotland: Scotland win
  • Danimal5981
    I guess before I wasn't fully aware of the meaning of this career.

So, this time I go for a complete UK occupying the semi finals
  • subpop
    Briliant stuff from Norther Ireland who destroyed Serbia, who could only put some make-up on the result. Belgium did their job against a weaker Poland.

Predictions

Uruguay v Wales - Wales win
    Brazil v England - England win
    Northern Ireland v Belgium - Belgium win
    Portugal v Scotland - Scotland win
  • JoshDFC
    Uruguay v Wales - Wales win
    Brazil v England - England win
    Northern Ireland v Belgium - Belgium win
    Portugal v Scotland - Scotland win

All teams are performing but I feel one may slip now
  • SirSam
    21 posts Ball Boy
    Uruguay v Wales - Uruguay wins
    Brazil v England - Brazil wins
    Northern Ireland v Belgium - Belgium wins
    Portugal v Scotland - Scotland wins
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Thanks for the predictions everyone. Sorry for the delay in updates. I got a bit behind on the updates due to England doing so well in the WC and that taking up my life. :joy: Caught up with real world things now so I'll be back on this thread from today. My plan is to have the updates on the correct day of the week just two weeks late (QF today and tomorrow, SF Tuesday and Wednesday, 3/4 Saturday and Final Sunday). I'll have updates every day thought hopefully.

Holy bejezus. Trying to get caught up and it’s crazy how much this story is lining up with real life. That Wales/Argentina game was nuts. One of those you will always flash back to when playing

Yeah it's amazing how accurate this play through has been.

Wow interesting matchups. After defeating France Scotland does have a good chance against Portugal. Wales does also have good chances after beating Argentina in one of the greatest games in WC history.
    England and especially NIR will need sublime days. Wow so close to get the Great Britain only semi finals...

Wales definitely have to be one of the favourites to win the whole thing. I agree about Scotland, anyone who can beat France has to be a potential finalist. Leigh Griffiths will be fit for the QF as well.

Hopefully England have enough to do it against a Brazilian side which is poor defensively. Like you, I'll be amazing if NI can pull it off.

I guess before I wasn't fully aware of the meaning of this career.

So, this time I go for a complete UK occupying the semi finals

That £250 million of investment into grassroots football has worked wonders. :blush:

Briliant stuff from Norther Ireland who destroyed Serbia, who could only put some make-up on the result. Belgium did their job against a weaker Poland.

The only reason Serbia got back into that game was I got too cocky. Went All our attack once I was 5-1 up trying to get as many as possible. :joy: