A Kingdom United

Comments

• Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Kane with the brace! Bonus points for my prediction! :)

Surprising how close your standings are to real life.

If only there were bonus points for that. :(

subpop wrote: »
    Without big surprises in the groups A and B as the favourites advance. Let's see in the next groups where I expect to see the first upsets.

I can confirm there is an upset. :tongue:

ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Mainly as expected and surprisingly close to real life though.

Yeah, credit to EA they got the team balance very accurate.

Once again I'm really sorry I won't be able to update tonight.

Tomorrow's matches to predict are:
    South Korea v Germany
    Mexico v Northern Ireland
    Serbia v Brazil
    Switzerland v Costa Rica
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    South Korea v Germany: Germany win
    Mexico v Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland win
    Serbia v Brazil: Brazil win
    Switzerland v Costa Rica: Switzerland win
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    If you thought the tables so far were close to real life then wait until tonight. ;)
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    South Korea v Germany - Germany win
    Mexico v Northern Ireland - N. Ireland win
    Serbia v Brazil - Brazil win
    Switzerland v Costa Rica - draw
  • subpop
    Alastair wrote: »
    If you thought the tables so far were close to real life then wait until tonight. ;)

Scary...
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator

Scary...

It'll be tomorrow night now.

I've decided as I missed yesterday to do all of this week's updates a day late (Friday is a blank day so I'll be on track from after then).
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Narrow Wins Ensure Wales and Scotland Top Groups

Tuesday 26th June 2018

Against all the odds Wales and Scotland have shocked France and Argentina respectively to top Groups C and D. A single goal margin proved enough for both teams to progress in a tense final day of matches.
    Match 37: Australia v Peru
    Group Stage
    rGYfs3y.png

Already eliminated Peru and Australia met with only pride on the line. Peru will return home the happier side after a two goal victory.
    dcCgMxn.png

Match 38: Wales v France
    Group Stage
    mvxwPq0.png

Sam Vokes got the only goal of the match just nine minutes into the match after a slow French start. Joe Allen picked out the striker unmarked on the penalty spot and played a through ball to him. Vokes then curled the ball round Lloris from twelve yards out. This proved to be the best Welsh attack of a match they spent most of in defence. Wales held on to take a 1-0 win and top the group/
    WWXVWpb.png

0hXKjEO.png

Hrb2zM3.png

Match 39: Iceland v Scotland
    Group Stage
    OfDtGQU.png

Scotland went into their final match knowing they needed to avoid defeat to secure a spot in the Round of Sixteen whilst their opponents Iceland required a victory to progress. Scotland took an early lead after just ten minutes when Tom Cairney's deflected effort found the net. The Fulham midfielder's shot from the edge of the box deflected off Gylfi Sigurdson's outstretched foot. The deflection took the ball past Halldórsson in the Icelandic goal and rebounded of both posts before finally crossing the line. Alfred Finbogasson levelled things up just three minutes later after breaking through the Scottish defence before firing the ball into the top left corner of Criag Gordon's net.

The game's deciding goal came just after the half hour mark when Stuart Armstrong scored a stunning goal. The midfielder who was today announced as a Southampton player picked the ball up inside the centre circle. After zigzagging through the Icelandic defence he let rip from nineteen yards. Halldórsson couldn't reach the ball which flew into the top right corner of the net. Scotland came under heavy pressure as the match went on but held on to win the group. They will now face France in the Round of Sixteen.
    TR3RBCm.png

5rh4w2i.png

Match 40: Nigeria v Argentina
    Group Stage
    0aXKoPR.png

Argentina beat Nigeria to finish second in Group D. The two times World Champions will face Wales in Kazan for a place in the Quarter Finals.
    wiBhpGM.png

UABraXV.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    South Korea v Germany
    Mexico v Northern Ireland
    Serbia v Brazil
    Switzerland v Costa Rica
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    South Korea v Germany: Germany win (Thanks God it isn't real life :joy:)
    Mexico v Northern Ireland: Draw
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Certainly big achievements for both Scotland and Wales to top their groups and avoid each other in the knockout stage for now.

South Korea v Germany: Germany win (please EA...)
    Mexico v Northern Ireland: NIR win
  • subpop
    Wales defeat France to top the group... and Scotland too. Really impressive. I wonder where is the limit of these teams. They can beat anyone in a good day.

Prediction

South Korea v Germany - Germany wim
    Mexico v Northern Ireland - N. Ireland win
    Serbia v Brazil - Brazil win
    Switzerland v Costa Rica - draw
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Certainly big achievements for both Scotland and Wales to top their groups and avoid each other in the knockout stage for now.

South Korea v Germany: Germany win (please EA...)

Yeah, if all teams win their groups then they can't meet until the Semis which would be amazing. :joy:

You'll find out shortly. ;)

Wales defeat France to top the group... and Scotland too. Really impressive. I wonder where is the limit of these teams. They can beat anyone in a good day.

I think the whole of the UK would be going crazy if this had actually happened. :joy:
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Sorry for not commenting on everyone's threads for a couple of days, I'll have more time from tomorrow so will get back to it then. :)
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Northern Ireland Through As Germany Bid Auf Wiedersehen

Wednesday 27th June 2018

A dramatic late goal from Korea Republic eliminated reigning World Champions Germany from the World Cup. It is unlikely the Germans will forget this one in a hurry as the country which has benefited many times before from the lack of VAR, were eliminated due to VAR overturning a disallowed goal.
    Match 41: Korea Rep. v Germany
    Group Stage
    PXr5xFZ.png

Korea Republic stunned the world as they scored a goal in added time to knock reigning World Champions Germany out in the group stages for the first time since 1938. After a VAR review Koo Ja Cheol was deemed to be onside and his late goal was awarded.. This result meant the reigning World Champions were eliminated for the third time in a row and fourth time in the last five FIFA World Cups.
    FBAjMPC.png

Match 42: Mexico v Northern Ireland
    Group Stage
    jDYvvbp.png

Despite a defeat to Mexico, Northern Ireland still held on to win Group F. Javier Hernandez gave Mexcio at lead at half time after tucking Hirving Lozano past Michael McGovern with ten minutes left in the first half. With Germany beating Korea Republic, Mexico needed a further two goals to qualify for the knockout stages and Northern Ireland spent much of the second half on the defence. In the first of three added minutes Raul Jimenez got the first of these goals. Carlos Vela and the Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee found themselves in a two-on-one situation with McGovern and Vela unselfishly passed to Jimenez who tapped into the open net. While the Mexican fans were still celebrating this goal, news came in of Korea Republic's equaliser against Germany. This sent the Mexican fans delirious as they realised they were joining Northern Ireland in the Knockout Stages. A cry of 'Bye Bye Germany' echo'd around the Ekaterinburg Arena after kick off.
    08xMuPG.png

diHXAsd.png

wchZxh4.png

Match 43: Serbia v Brazil
    Group Stage
    nVu2woU.png

A late Fabinho goal secured a Brazilian victory and top spot in Group E for the South American side. The five times World Champions will play Mexico in the Round of Sixteen. Despite the defeat Serbia have qualified for the Knockout Stages and will face Northern Ireland in the next round.
    4jJRxBy.png

Match 44: Switzerland v Costa Rica
    Group Stage
    HsAyOs0.png

Switzerland ended Costa Rica's hopes of progressing after a two goal victory over the CONCACAF side. Both sides will now be looking ahead to qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup after elimination this year.
    FhQfJhL.png

oBOeNnK.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Japan v Poland
    Senegal v Colombia
    England v Belgium
    Panama v Tunisia
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Lol, Germany are so unlucky :joy:

Japan v Poland: Poland win
    Senegal v Colombia: Senegal win
    England v Belgium: Belgium win
    Panama v Tunisia: Tunisia win
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Ozil plays well and scores? This game is so unrealistic... :D

Japan v Poland: Japan win
    Senegal v Colombia: Colombia win
    England v Belgium: England win
    Panama v Tunisia: Tunesia win
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    DonGabriel wrote: »
    Lol, Germany are so unlucky :joy:

I prefer to call it karma. ;)

Ozil plays well and scores? This game is so unrealistic... :D

:joy: At least it got the table right.
  • subpop
    Auf wiedersehen Deustchland!!! :D

Amazing Northern Ireland! On top of the group too. Unless they meet before, I can see all four British teams in the semis. Still a long way to go.

In the other group, Brazil showing top form as expected.

Predictions:

Japan v Poland: draw
    Senegal v Colombia: draw
    England v Belgium: England win
    Panama v Tunisia: Tunisia win
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Auf wiedersehen Deustchland!!! :D

Amazing Northern Ireland! On top of the group too. Unless they meet before, I can see all four British teams in the semis. Still a long way to go.

In the other group, Brazil showing top form as expected.

It'd be amazing if all four got that far. We can dream. :smiley:

Brazil are looking very dangerous after the group stage.
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Ten Man England Clinch Top Spot As Pickford Makes Heroic Penalty Save

Thursday 28th June 2018

England today clinched the top spot in Group G after an entertaining clash with Belgium. The last round of group matches were played today and the sixteen sides who have qualified for the knockout stages will now start to dream of what could happen over the next two weeks.
    Match 45: Japan v Poland
    Group Stage
    aaVsU4C.png

Japan needed a victory to guarantee a spot in the knockout rounds and looked like they would win for most of the first half. However the half time team talk from the Polish manager seemed to work as they scored the game's only goal shortly after the break.
    6hkoM3U.png

Match 46: Senegal v Colombia
    Group Stage
    yAhy2Zn.png

An early Carlos Sanchez goal was enough for Colombia to take the three points against already eliminated Senegal. Poland edged out Colombia to finish top of Group H after a fair play tiebreaker.
    WGcxZdq.png

sSfNSlF.png

Match 47: England v Belgium
    Group Stage
    KHDduln.png

The most hotly anticipated match of Group G saw favourites England and Belgium go head-to-head in the battle to top the group. Belgium needed to win to ensure top spot whereas England just needed to avoid defeat. Dele Alli volleyed Kieran Trippier's cross home after just two minutes to get England off to the perfect start. However, just eight minutes later the scores were level. Dries Mertens played a slick one-two with Yannick Carrasco before firing low past Pickford from inside the box.

Just before the half hour mark England were ahead once again after Marcus Rashford broke through the Belgian defence to fire past Thibaut Courtois. Thomas Meunier levelled it up once again just four minutes later. The PSG full back slid in at the back post to volley Mertens' over-hit cross into the roof of the net.

With fifty-five minutes on the clock England were reduced to ten men after Gary Cahill saw red for a reckless tackle on Romelu Lukaku. The Belgian striker was clean through on goal when the Chelsea defender hacked him down as he prepared to shoot. The referee didn't hesitate as he sent Cahill off and awarded Belgium a penalty. Lukaku stepped up to take the penalty and placed it just to the left of centre. It initially looked like he would score as Pickford dived too far. However, the England goalkeeper saved the ball with his feet in a kind of sideways scorpion kick.

Eleven minutes later, Harry Kane got his fifth goal of the World Cup to put England into the lead for the third time in the match. Marcus Rashford picked out Kane's run and the England captain slipped the ball under the onrushing Courtois. England tried to shut up shop and it looked like the ten men would hold out until Eden Hazard got Belgium's third equaliser of the match with just nine minutes left to play. The Chelsea player out-jumped two English defenders to deflect Mertens' cross goalward.

This was how the game finished is one of the most entertaining clashes of the World Cup so far. England's reward for topping the group will be a match against second placed Colombia in the Round of Sixteen whilst Belgium will face Poland.
    MGOBzru.png

vcpo68E.png

Match 48: Panama v Tunisia
    Group Stage
    A4JjNuW.png

Two of the tournament's worst teams played out a dull 1-1 draw as both sides seemed to have their minds on the flight home instead of the match.
    C9QnrWu.png

vPvFUbT.png
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Knockout Stages Set To Be Exciting As Home Nations Kept Apart

Friday 29th June 2018
    R8oafLt.png

The knockout stages of the 2018 FIFA World Cup are set to begin tomorrow with all four home nations still in contention. As all four nations won their groups they will not meet each other until the Semi Finals, should they progress that far.

Out of the four home nations, Wales and Scotland have perhaps the toughest routes to the semi finals. Wales will first play Argentina in the Round of Sixteen before playing the winner of Uruguay and Spain in the Quarter Finals. Scotland on the other hand face France in the Round of Sixteen before either Portugal or Russia in the Quarter Finals.

England will play Colombia in the Round of Sixteen and either Brazil or Mexico in the Quarter Finals. Northern Ireland have perhaps the easiest section on paper as they play Serbia in the Round of Sixteen and, should they win, the winner of Belgium and Poland in the Quarter Finals.

Should all four home nations reach the Semi Finals then England will face Wales while Scotland will play Northern Ireland.

Tomorrow's Matches
    Wales v Argentina
    Uruguay v Spain
  • subpop
    Exciting game between Belgium and England. England couldn't hold the advantage 3 times, but still managed to finish on top of the group.

Now the real stuff begin. Wales have a difficult game against Argentina, although they'll probably have their chance. England should advance against Colombia without much problems.

Scotland probably have the hardest game among all the British teams. France will not be easy to defeat considering their talent in every line. Northern Ireland, for me the biggest surprise, should have a good chance against Serbia.

My predictions: (I guess it's win or lose and the draw is not an option)

Wales v Argentina - Wales win
    Uruguay v Spain - Spain win
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Exciting game between Belgium and England. England couldn't hold the advantage 3 times, but still managed to finish on top of the group.

Now the real stuff begin. Wales have a difficult game against Argentina, although they'll probably have their chance. England should advance against Colombia without much problems.

Scotland probably have the hardest game among all the British teams. France will not be easy to defeat considering their talent in every line. Northern Ireland, for me the biggest surprise, should have a good chance against Serbia.

My predictions: (I guess it's win or lose and the draw is not an option)

Thanks for commenting. :)

It was a proper end to end game. Amazed I got a draw after the red card.

I'm hoping Argentina are as bad on FIFA as in real life. :smiley:

For predictions you can predict a draw although the winning team is probably better. There are two points for each knockout game. Essentially a win in 90 minutes = 2 points and a win in 120/pens = 1 point. The full details are here:
    In the knockout stages you will earn 2 points for each match. If a match ends in 90 minutes then you'll earn two points then, if it ends after 120 minutes you will earn 1 point for correctly guessing the result after 90 minutes and a second for the result after 120 minutes. If a match goes to penalties 1 point will be awarded for the score after 120 minutes and a second for the score on penalties. This will give a total of 80 points awarded for the match results.

• ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Thrilling match between England and Belgium though. Will be very interesting too see how long all 4 can stay in the tournament.

• Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Here is a small spoiler for tonight. I just had to google what the equivalent of a brace/hat trick is for four goals. :joy:

Turns out is is a haul.
    • 2 goals is a brace
    • 3 goals is a hat-trick
    • 4 goals is a haul
    • 5 goals is a glut
    • 6 goals is a double hat-trick
    • 7 goals is a haul-trick

Thrilling match between England and Belgium though. Will be very interesting too see how long all 4 can stay in the tournament.

Hopefully all four make the final week.
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Bale Bags A Haul As Wales Win Nine Goal Thriller

Saturday 30th June 2018

The Knockout Stages of the 2018 FIFA World Cup got underway today as the first four teams played their matches. The first match saw Wales face two time World Champions Argentina. The evening match saw 1930 and 1950 World Champions Uruguay face 2010 winners Spain.
    Match 49: Wales v Argentina
    Round of Sixteen
    PXr5xFZ.png

Gareth Bale stole the show and put himself firmly into Golden Boot contention after scoring four goals against Argentina. Bale's first goal game from the penalty spot after Marcus Rojo brought down Sam Vokes midway through the first half. Vokes had his back to goal in a non-dangerous position on the left side of the box when Rojo piled into him from behind with a tackle he was lucky not to see yellow for. Bale calmly rolled the ball into the bottom left corner of Sergio Romero's net.

Wales looked like taking the one goal lead into the break but Gonzalo Higuain prevented that from happening with a goal in the last minute of stoppage time. The Juventus striker reacted quickly to a mishit clearance and slotted the ball into the net before the Welsh defence had fully processed what had happened.

Six minutes into the second half Bale scored a stunning goal to put Wales back into the lead. Tom Lawrence played a chipped through ball which Bale controlled with his chest. Bale hit the ball on the half volley into the top left corner of the goal. Soon after that Messi produced a piece of magic to get Argentina level once again. Otamendi fed the ball to Messi's feet near to the penalty spot. The Barcelona forward pulled off a Cruyff Turn to take the ball past the Welsh defence before curling the ball into the top corner of Hennessey's goal.

With twenty-one minutes left to play Bale and Lawrence combined again as Bale headed home at the back post. Despite heavy pressure, Wales looked like they'd hold out for a famous victory. However, with just forty-three seconds left of added time Lionel Messi got a third Argentine equaliser. Messi completed a thirty yard run before firing home for sixteen yards in a goal reminiscent of Diego Maradona's against England in 1986.

Wales could have capitulated after yet another heart break but were the better side in extra time. Sam Vokes put Wales back into the lead just before the break. The Burnley striker saw his initial effort rebound of the post but reacted quickest to tap the rebound home from six yards out.

Bale got his fourth of the game and secured the victory just five minutes after the restart. As Argentina tried to get an equaliser Wales broke forwards quickly on the counter attack. Aaron Ramsey broke through the centre before passing sideways to Andy King. King passed it wide first time to Bale who was running into the box unmarked. Bale took one touch before firing across goal into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Argentina continued to push for the goals they needed and managed to pull one back through Nicolas Tagliafico. With five minutes to go he tapped home from close range after a goal line scramble. Argentina were unable to get another goal as the Welsh defence held firm. Wales can now look forward to a World Cup Quarter Final in Nizhny Novgorod next Friday.
    n9X6MSJ.png

WRLKZLU.png

Match 50: Uruguay v Spain
    Round of Sixteen
    rGYfs3y.png

Uruguay were the victors at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games stadium to keep them in the hunt for a medal this year. The South American side will face Wales for a place in the Semi Finals.
    jFvEIlg.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Portugal v Russia
    Scotland v France
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    What a game between Wales and Argentina :o Does look like one of the most thrilling games ever in the WC with Bale carrying the team with his pure efficiency. Wow. Unexpected to see Uruguay progress though.

Portugal v Russia: Portugal win
    Scotland v France: Scotland win in yet another thriller to surprise everyone
  • Kyle
    923 posts Semi-Pro
    Great game for Wales and Bale.
  • subpop
    Wow... exciting and historic game between Wales and Argentina. It'll be a classic. Bale was the star of the team, what he's supposed to be. Fantastic.

And pathetic Spain, although I must say Uruguay are a team that deserves my respect.

Prediction.

Portugal v Russia - Portugal win
    Scotland v France - Scotland win
  • Alastair
    10178 posts Moderator
    Sadly I've had a busy day today so there is no update. I will be busy for the next couple of days but can hopefully get some updates done. Should be able to get all the R16 matches up before the QFs start.

What a game between Wales and Argentina :o Does look like one of the most thrilling games ever in the WC with Bale carrying the team with his pure efficiency. Wow. Unexpected to see Uruguay progress though.

It probably would be remembered as the greatest game ever. It was a stunner.

The Uruguay result surprised me tbh.

Kyle wrote: »
    Great game for Wales and Bale.

Thanks Kyle. Hopefully Bale can carry it on.

Wow... exciting and historic game between Wales and Argentina. It'll be a classic. Bale was the star of the team, what he's supposed to be. Fantastic.

And pathetic Spain, although I must say Uruguay are a team that deserves my respect.

The other players seemed to step up a lot in the game which helped loads but Bale's 10.0 match rating says it all. What a player.

Thought you'd be annoyed about Spain. Good to see it was realistic though. :wink:
  • Danimal5981
    2502 posts Fans' Favourite
    This story is essentially close to what I've started. I decided to do a virtual qualifying-series with the teams in the World Cup expansion and see who'd get to the World Cup. So I'm keen to see if one of the British countries can qualify.

As for this story, Wales getting the better of Argentina in a fashion similar to France in real life gives it actually some credibility...